ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers/Boston College to renew series...

Agree with OP. Why give them any visibility here?
Because Ash isn't familiar with the history between the two. I don't think Ash want any more trips out west like Washington. He'll learn the hard way. Rutgers already gave the recruiting keys to Ohio State and Michigan and now Boston College. What's next Syracuse and West Virginia? Sounds like he's trying to put the band back together.:(
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaaccccckkkk!

My question is WHY???? BCS became irrelevant in NJ after they stopped playing Rutgers. Why give them any help reestablishing their NJ ties?

Rutgers, Boston College schedule 2026-27 football series (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/2fTJ1LW

I don't think 1 game in Piscataway 11 years from now is going to make a big difference in whether they're relevant in NJ or not.

I don't think 1 game in Piscataway 11 years from now is going to make a big difference in whether they're relevant in NJ or not.

Yeah, how do grown men fly off the rails so easily? 10 years is a lot of time, who knows what happens by then. If Rutgers gets its $#@t together, maybe we can stop worrying about third-rate programs poaching recruits and focus on battling PSU, OSU, Michigan, etc.

And how does playing a single game in NJ open up a gushing pipeline, anyway?

So a guaranteed win against a P5 team in back to back years with the ease of traveling to the game 2-4 hours away isn't a good idea? You do realize they still come in to NJ and recruit whether we play them or not, beat them or not.

This works. All day on this. Schedule UConn next.

BC will ALWAYS be the 1st or 2nd choice for a handfull of NJ players regardless if we play them or not.
This is also 10 years down the road where we will be 5 years deep into a full share.
Will be a great series to renew.

We should schedule at least 1 OOC team a year that is part of the Lambert Trophy competition. I think BC and Temple are both in it.

Maybe even try to get agreement among the Lambert teams for an OOC scheduling alliance with games at a neutral site (ie. Met Life, Lincoln Financial, M and T Bank stadium, Gillette field).

Imagine Sept double headers of the 17 ECAC teams plus 1 invited team to make it 18:
Gillette:
UMass vs Syracuse
BC vs Buffalo

Met Life:
Rutgers vs Temple
Army vs UConn

Lincoln Financial:
Pitt vs Marshall
Penn St vs West Virginia

M and T Bank:
Maryland vs Old Dominion
Navy vs Va Tech

Old Dominion vs non-ECAC invited team

http://www.easternfootballnetwork.com/EFN-16-FBS-Poll-3.html

We should schedule at least 1 OOC team a year that is part of the Lambert Trophy competition. I think BC and Temple are both in it.

Maybe even try to get agreement among the Lambert teams for an OOC scheduling alliance with games at a neutral site (ie. Met Life, Lincoln Financial, M and T Bank stadium, Gillette field).

Imagine Sept double headers of the 17 ECAC teams plus 1 invited team to make it 18:
Gillette:
UMass vs Syracuse
BC vs Buffalo

Met Life:
Rutgers vs Temple
Army vs UConn

Lincoln Financial:
Pitt vs Marshall
Penn St vs West Virginia

M and T Bank:
Maryland vs Old Dominion
Navy vs Va Tech

Lot of empty stadiums there. And why would any school sign up for this? You have 4 schools selling tickets for a double header, so each school only gets 25% of the gate receipts. So using the Rutgers game you propose at MetLife Stadium, we get to sell about 20,000 tickets to this double-header, and we get to tell half our season ticket-holders and students to take a hike, or we can have the game in Piscataway, and sell 50,000 tickets (including students).

Defeatist attitude. We're gonna whoop their asses. BC is nearly dead in nj and can only capture the obsessed parochial school kids. They won't be stealing a recruit that matters from nj anytime soon
Defeatist attitude? I thought one of Ash's goals was to "fence the garden". If so why give teams that recruit against you any visibility here. I have been a fan for 36 years and have seen enough RU football to make me a realist about this program. Your unbridled optimism has no basis in fact unless you consider 2-10 and numerous shutouts as a successful season. Whether we like it or not we have a hard time keeping Jersey kids home. Whether it is now or in the future, why make it easier for non B1G teams who recruit Jersey to gain more visibility in this state.

Defeatist attitude? I thought one of Ash's goals was to "fence the garden". If so why give teams that recruit against you any visibility here. I have been a fan for 36 years and have seen enough RU football to make me a realist about this program. Your unbridled optimism has no basis in fact unless you consider 2-10 and numerous shutouts as a successful season. Whether we like it or not we have a hard time keeping Jersey kids home. Whether it is now or in the future, why make it easier for non B1G teams who recruit Jersey to gain more visibility in this state.
defeatist attitude= being scared of playing a local team like cuse, pitt, bc, uconn, etc. not one of those teams scares me as a recruiting threat. does every one of our bcs opponents have to be from the west coast or from the south for our fans to feel safe? we're a big ten team.

Reactions: CNJKnight
defeatist attitude= being scared of playing a local team like cuse, pitt, bc, uconn, etc. not one of those teams scares me as a recruiting threat. does every one of our bcs opponents have to be from the west coast or from the south for our fans to feel safe? we're a big ten team.
Once again you miss the point. It has nothing to do with being scared of playing those teams but recruiting against them. Why make it easier for them. We have enough comp from PSU, OSU, UM and MSU. Please remind me of all the Big East Championships we have celebrated, all the BCS games we attended, all the times we routed the Miami's of the world by 50 points. We have too many delusional fans like you who seem to think that being in the B1G automatically puts on on the same level as OSU. We are not and have not ever been at that level and until we get there why make it easier for any school we compete for recruits against to get visibility in NJ. Your unbridled optimism has no basis in fact when our history says otherwise. And before you start telling me how great we will be in ten years I remember hearing those sorts of things during the Anderson, Graber and Shea eras. It took Schiano 5 years to make us decent and even he could not deliver a conf championship. Come back to reality.

Gillette:
UMass vs Syracuse
BC vs Buffalo

Met Life:
Rutgers vs Temple
Army vs UConn

Lincoln Financial:
Pitt vs Marshall
Penn St vs West Virginia

M and T Bank:
Maryland vs Old Dominion
Navy vs Va Tech

I kinda like the idea about scheduling eastern teams every year (independently) and maybe growing regional rivalries amongst Lambert trophy teams.

Forget the rest, though - sounds like you want CFB to become CBB. In fact, don't you have a post about a 32-team playoff? CFB is not, nor should it become, CBB.

Lot of empty stadiums there. And why would any school sign up for this? You have 4 schools selling tickets for a double header, so each school only gets 25% of the gate receipts. So using the Rutgers game you propose at MetLife Stadium, we get to sell about 20,000 tickets to this double-header, and we get to tell half our season ticket-holders and students to take a hike, or we can have the game in Piscataway, and sell 50,000 tickets (including students).

I kinda like the idea of making the Lambert Trophy more of a thing. Besides, East Coast football could use a shot in the arm from a national advertising standpoint.

Neutral site games could absolutely work and draw interest. Call it the Lambert Trophy Eastern College Football Series presented by AT&T or whatever. These can't be doubleheaders. From a tv perspective, ESPN should be able to get (and brand) these games, except WVU home games and Army-Navy, of course.

For this to work, you can really only rotate between the P5 Lambert programs: Boston College, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, and Virginia Tech. The Army-Navy should be a "protected" Lambert game. Clearly, the Lambert brand would take a backseat to the Army-Navy brand, but Lambert should be part of it.

Year 1 could look like what's below. You'd have to get the ACC, Big Ten, WVU, and Army/Navy to agree, create a rotating schedule, and secure contracts with the stadiums. Not easy, but not impossible.

Metlife Stadium
BC vs. Rutgers

Lincoln Financial Field

Pittsburgh vs. Penn State

M&T Bank Stadium
West Virginia vs. Maryland

FedEx Field
Virginia vs. Virginia Tech

Rotation of MetLife/M&T/Lincoln Financial
Army vs. Navy

The Big Ten wants to get away from off-campus anyone, so I think that makes it a moot point.

I think it'd be fun even if the games are played on campus.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
Once again you miss the point. It has nothing to do with being scared of playing those teams but recruiting against them. Why make it easier for them. We have enough comp from PSU, OSU, UM and MSU. Please remind me of all the Big East Championships we have celebrated, all the BCS games we attended, all the times we routed the Miami's of the world by 50 points. We have too many delusional fans like you who seem to think that being in the B1G automatically puts on on the same level as OSU. We are not and have not ever been at that level and until we get there why make it easier for any school we compete for recruits against to get visibility in NJ. Your unbridled optimism has no basis in fact when our history says otherwise. And before you start telling me how great we will be in ten years I remember hearing those sorts of things during the Anderson, Graber and Shea eras. It took Schiano 5 years to make us decent and even he could not deliver a conf championship. Come back to reality.
It's not like these teams are magically invisible if we don't play them..they're local. They send their coaches all over new Jersey. So let's just stomp them out in front of the recruits.

no problem with this, its so far out into the future anyhow, Id rather schedule them the schedule elite schools across the country, our conference schedule is tough enough, we need to schedule down at this point

To me this is like playing Kansas. Get a team that you know will still be terrible in 10 years, not like Washington who of course becomes a playoff team the year we play them

Gillette:
UMass vs Syracuse
BC vs Buffalo

Met Life:
Rutgers vs Temple
Army vs UConn

Lincoln Financial:
Pitt vs Marshall
Penn St vs West Virginia

M and T Bank:
Maryland vs Old Dominion
Navy vs Va Tech

This is quite simply the worst idea in the history of college sports scheduling.

I hate BC for what they did back in the day......never wanted to play them again....but we all soften our stances as time evolves......like the idea now....driveable trip.....can spend the weekend in Boston and maybe catch a Red Sox game if lucky......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT