ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers bowl game predictions

They were around $800-1000, but that was for a week stay. We got fares for $360, but by the time we added on extra leg room and preferred seats, we were back up to about $550. Someone said Alaska airlines flies to Phoenix? Use Kayak, Expedia, etc to get the best fare. We prefer United (maybe we should reconsider).
Thanks

Let's take a look:

OSU, MSU, MIchigan - playoff/NY6 (i'd say a VERY good shot...the ACC/Pac12 are weak)
Penn State - Outback (no appearance since 2011)
Wisconsin - Citrus (no appearance since 2014)
Las Vegas - Iowa (the last thing I want to see if Penn State here in Year 1)

Then it comes down to Purdue, Minnesota, and either Maryland or Rutgers for 3 of the final 4 slots. Purdue likely wins out, finishes 8-4(6-3) with IU and Northwestern remaining. So let's slot them in Nashville (or does that go to Minnesota, per B1G rules, since PU was just there 2-years ago??). Now...next choice goes to The Pinstripe Bowl and, yeah, you've gotta think they jump all over RU before either Minny or Purdue, right?

Music City - PU/Minny
Pinstripe - RU/Maryland
RedBox - no being played this year (don't get me started...)
Guaranteed Rate (Insight) - Minny-PU
Quick Lane - pool
Yes , so it looks like pinstripe

I say let Minny or Purdue have the Pinstripe. A great trip to Manhattan. Take them around, show them things they've never seen before. Send us, literally, anywhere else.
Detroit is all yours then.

Keep in mind that the bowl game in Detroit starts mid-day on the Monday following Christmas weekend. I'm not sure they could've scheduled it any worse for travel.

That Bowl should be disbanded. Nobody wants to go unless they are forced to go.

if you don’t mind what were the airfares ?
Think Southwest goes there ..has to be more reasonable than United$$$$

Again, Pinstripe bowl is good for those far from NYC. When Wake was invited in 2019, I didn’t see anyone complaining.

Detroit is all yours then.

Keep in mind that the bowl game in Detroit starts mid-day on the Monday following Christmas weekend. I'm not sure they could've scheduled it any worse for travel.

Last time we were there it was the day after Christmas. We left PA at 4pm after a very early Christmas meal and drove straight for 8 hours, arriving at our hotel at midnight. Having to leave the day after Christmas instead of Christmas is much better in my opinion.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Last time we were there it was the day after Christmas. We left PA at 4pm after a very early Christmas meal and drove straight for 8 hours, arriving at our hotel at midnight. Having to leave the day after Christmas instead of Christmas is much better in my opinion.
We actually enjoyed Christmas at a hotel in Pontiac, MI. Had dinner in Frankenmuth on Christmas Eve.
It was fun.

Reactions: JRZEER and ruronny
One and done for any CFB fans.
Unlike Florida, Arizona, Cali, etc. Bowls

I would love any bowl. I've never been to the Pinstripe Bowl so I would go. The only two Rutgers bowl games I've been to have been the two in FL. I will be there wherever it is this year.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Pinstripe stinks on so many levels for us. No wonder it’s referred to as the Pinstink. But if we got 6-6 and make this Bowl game , it’s a great accomplishment . It won’t be seen as major disappointments of getting Pinstinked in 2011 and 2013.

Pinstripe stinks on so many levels for us. No wonder it’s referred to as the Pinstink. But if we got 6-6 and make this Bowl game , it’s a great accomplishment . It won’t be seen as major disappointments of getting Pinstinked in 2011 and 2013.
It is referred to as the Pinstink by one person, and one person only.

Ill take Fla. Can hit the game and spend a few xtra days visiting and fishing.
No thanks on AZ
Pinstripe? I guess better than nothing.
We can use the xtra practice time.

Reactions: JRZEER
Just saw the date for Cure bowl. Gonna b down there the week b4. Not sure I'm making that quick a return. Xtra week is stretch to stay. Too much to do here. May be sitting this one out unless its pinstripe.

Did the Grounds Crew figure out how to lay down sod for the Pinstripe Bowl? I remember sheets of grass coming up off the ground as if it was a bad carpet, leading to Khaseem Greene getting an injury that nearly ended his career.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Did the Grounds Crew figure out how to lay down sod for the Pinstripe Bowl? I remember sheets of grass coming up off the ground as if it was a bad carpet, leading to Khaseem Greene getting an injury that nearly ended his career.
That’s about as bad as having your career derailed by a gun charge - which was eventually dismissed - that someone gets hanging out with the boys at an elizabeth bar .

Fortunately this Pinstink Bowl can only take the same team once every 7 years .
Why is this ? Because nobody wants to go to this Bowl.

That is great news , as expected under schiano we will hope to be in these mid level bowls most years. At 6-6, any bowl we go to is great this year.

Really. You think there are more repeat CFB visiting fans to the Bronx too see their team in a Bowl game ( exc. local RU and Cuse) vs. going to Bowls in Florida , Georgia, TN, and Arizona ? Please.
That’s not even close to what I said and you know it. Geeze. You’re just making the assumption, however, that fans would not come back to New York, New York City, a second time for a bowl game. Pure opinion. Shit I met a friend at the pinstripe bowl two years ago to see Wisconson play Miami for crying out loud. He came down from Rhode Island for no reason other than to see a good college football game and because it was an easy train ride from Connecticut to midtown.

Last edited:
IIRC this is not just a “Pinstripe Bowl” guideline set by the B1G (but I thought it was every 5?) but for all it’s non-BCS/NY6 games? Or a few select ones, anyway, no? I could be wrong on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry_2426
Let's take a look:

OSU, MSU, MIchigan - playoff/NY6 (i'd say a VERY good shot...the ACC/Pac12 are weak)
Penn State - Outback (no appearance since 2011)
Wisconsin - Citrus (no appearance since 2014)
Las Vegas - Iowa (the last thing I want to see if Penn State here in Year 1)

Then it comes down to Purdue, Minnesota, and either Maryland or Rutgers for 3 of the final 4 slots. Purdue likely wins out, finishes 8-4(6-3) with IU and Northwestern remaining. So let's slot them in Nashville (or does that go to Minnesota, per B1G rules, since PU was just there 2-years ago??). Now...next choice goes to The Pinstripe Bowl and, yeah, you've gotta think they jump all over RU before either Minny or Purdue, right?

Music City - PU/Minny
Pinstripe - RU/Maryland
RedBox - no being played this year (don't get me started...)
Guaranteed Rate (Insight) - Minny-PU
Quick Lane - pool

This seems possible. Worth noting that neither Minnesota nor Purdue have ever gone to Pinstripe. Possible that Pinstripe may feel they can get Rutgers in the next year or two if/when Rutgers has a better overall record of perhaps 7-5.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
That’s not even close to what I said and you know it. Geeze. You’re just making the assumption, however, that fans would not come back to New York, New York City, a second time for a bowl game. Pure opinion. Shit I met a friend at the pinstripe bowl two years ago to see Wisconson play Miami for crying out loud. He came down from Rhode Island for no reason other than to see a good college football game and because it was an easy train ride from Connecticut to midtown.
WTF ? You just don’t get it.
Have you looked at the comments on this Board regarding feelings towards the Pinstripe Bowl ?
The vast majority of RU fans wanted nothing to do with this Bowl . We will attend “if forced to”.
Location, neighborhood/atmosphere , weather, view of the field, tailgating environment are all piss poor.
For any other CFB visitors to this Bowl is a one and done. Only the TV dollars will keep this afloat and not the fans/ supporting the local economy.

Just saw the date for Cure bowl. Gonna b down there the week b4. Not sure I'm making that quick a return. Xtra week is stretch to stay. Too much to do here. May be sitting this one out unless its pinstripe.
Three real bowls at the same venue. Not bad.

WTF ? You just don’t get it.
Have you looked at the comments on this Board regarding feelings towards the Pinstripe Bowl ?
The vast majority of RU fans wanted nothing to do with this Bowl . We will attend “if forced to”.
Location, neighborhood/atmosphere , weather, view of the field, tailgating environment are all piss poor.
For any other CFB visitors to this Bowl is a one and done. Only the TV dollars will keep this afloat and not the fans/ supporting the local economy.
LOL no, YOU just don't "get it." PEOPLE WILL STILL GO...THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS. Nobody is being "forced" to do anything. What kind of kind of comment is that anyway?

Anyway, nice attempt to spin YOUR comment earlier - that people would never visit more than once - which, and I'll say it again, is absolutely NOTHING other than your OPINION/ASSUMPTION. I don't care how many people "hate it," "don't like it," or have issues with it, people will still attend the damn game lol..PLUS, on that last reply, we were speaking about people from OTHER fan bases, not ours, so again nice "spin" my friend.
Your comment, AND I QUOTE, was "One and done for any CFB fans."...I disagree and you will most likely be proven wrong time and time again over the next 15-20 years. Just like you've been proven to be 100% WRONG about this game from Day 1.

"WTF?? YOU just don't get it." Geeze man let it go already. You don't like the game, FINE, but we get it LOL!!! I'm worried that you're going to have a stroke obsessing over hating this game. Relax my friend.

I'm going for a beer. Cheers!

Last edited:
I don’t call it that either but agree with the sentiment.

Pinstripe>better than nothing
We call it the Brown Stripe. It's awful and nothing bowl like about it but recognize it is good for the program. Will jump for joy when B1G realizes nobody wants this booby prize.

Reactions: RealBowlExpert
CBS-
Michigan- Rose
MSU- Fiesta
Citrus- Iowa
Outback- Wisconsin
Las Vegas- Purdue
Music City- RU
Pinstripe- Minnesota
Guaranteed- Maryland (beating us in last game)
QuickLane- Illinois
CheeseIt- pool
Cure- Rutgers (pool)

I'll take beating Maryland and the trip to Phoenix please.
Arkansas is a good candidate for the Music City bowl.

We call it the Brown Stripe. It's awful and nothing bowl like about it but recognize it is good for the program. Will jump for joy when B1G realizes nobody wants this booby prize.
Bingo
Another reasonable poster on what CFB fans think of this crappy Boql.
Please talk some sense into AreYouNuts. He just doesn’t get it.

Bingo
Would we take any Bowl at this point? Of course we would. But the Pinstripe shouldn’t even be called a Bowl. It’s a football game played at a terrible FB venue, with zero tailgating experience, and absolutely no college FB feel to it. Move it to MetLife and call it anything, but get it the hell out of Yankee Stadium.

Would we take any Bowl at this point? Of course we would. But the Pinstripe shouldn’t even be called a Bowl. It’s a football game played at a terrible FB venue, with zero tailgating experience, and absolutely no college FB feel to it. Move it to MetLife and call it anything, but get it the hell out of Yankee Stadium.
I was all on board if the West Side Stadium thing happened…enough to say play a regular game there.

THAT had the potential to be a great bowl game…$$$, location, prestige of really being in “NYC”, Final Four rotation and possibly the same for the Super Bowl.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Bingo
You really don’t listen, do you? This bowl game isn’t going anywhere and the Big Ten isn’t dropping this game. Your hatred for this game, no matter how crappy the sight lines are, the weather could potentially be and the fact that Yankee Stadium/the Bronx is not a naturally great location, has ZERO to do with it. You have been wrong from day one. From day freaking one you said the game would be gone in two years and you have been dead-wrong.

Do I love it? NO! Of course not, but I’ll take it, and not whine about it for a decade, when it’s our only option. I would much rather go to Florida, Arizona, North Carolina, Tennessee or California! Obviously! But this game has not been the failure that you have predicted it would be from day one. Why can’t you just admit that?

*** Trust me I would much rather throw a party the night before a bowl game in Orlando, Miami, Tampa, Charlotte, Nashville, Phoenix, etc. etc.!

BTW - I have no problem whatsoever with you hating this game, I really don’t and I get it, I just don’t know why you need to argue against the facts about this being more successful than you thought it would ever be.

Last edited:
Funny how fans disparage a bowl the conference affiliates with ‘for the money’, not remembering the only reason Rutgers is in the conference in the first place is ‘for the money’.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT