ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Club Relocating

I don't believe that. As ugly as they are, they're not an architectural style that is used for temporary buildings. The Davidson Dorms look like they were temporary housing.

I believe you're correct, the River Dorms were probably just an inexpensive design style and construction that could be built quickly. Davidson may or may not have been temporary but they were barracks housing for soldiers built by the Army as part of Camp Kilmer.

Reactions: Korbermeister
Never forget: the River Dorms were built as a temporary housing solution.

I don't believe that. As ugly as they are, they're not an architectural style that is used for temporary buildings. The Davidson Dorms look like they were temporary housing.

I believe you're correct, the River Dorms were probably just an inexpensive design style and construction that could be built quickly. Davidson may or may not have been temporary but they were barracks housing for soldiers built by the Army as part of Camp Kilmer.
Or our definition of "temporary housing" might be different than the academic version.

The key issue is the target audience. I suspect the largest part of their business is groups and events. Alumni stopping in occasionally for lunch or dinner is most likely a much smaller share of their revenue.

I love the idea of a wood paneled old school type club but I suspect there is no market to support it.

Plus remember that they are going to build a hotel on Livingston so that would offer additional opportunities for clients.

And the comparisons of this with say the Hopkins, Yale, or Harvard clubs is off base. They serve substantially different roles and membership. They aren't at all the same.

The idea of this being a temporary move could have some merit but I tend to think this is permanent or at least long term.

The key issue is the target audience. I suspect the largest part of their business is groups and events. Alumni stopping in occasionally for lunch or dinner is most likely a much smaller share of their revenue.

* I love the idea of a wood paneled old school type club but I suspect there is no market to support it.

Plus remember that they are going to build a hotel on Livingston so that would offer additional opportunities for clients.

+ And the comparisons of this with say the Hopkins, Yale, or Harvard clubs is off base. They serve substantially different roles and membership. They aren't at all the same.

The idea of this being a temporary move could have some merit but I tend to think this is permanent or at least long term
* Well I would hope it looks nice and not just an extension of the Livingston Dining Hall.

+ If it was in a better spot maybe it would serve a similar role. Which is why I am hoping for this to be a satellite to the real one to come when College Avenue is redone. :)

* I love the idea of a wood paneled old school type club but I suspect there is no market to support it.

+ And the comparisons of this with say the Hopkins, Yale, or Harvard clubs is off base. They serve substantially different roles and membership. They aren't at all the same.

The idea of this being a temporary move could have some merit but I tend to think this is permanent or at least long term
* Well I would hope it looks nice and not just an extension of the Livingston Dining Hall.

+ If it was in a better spot maybe it would serve a similar role. Which is why I am hoping for this to be a satellite to the real one to come when College Avenue is redone. :)

I'm not saying it won't look good. I'm saying the the idea of hopping off the train and having a pint in a fancy club that looks like old money sounds great but the reality is that it's probably not a sustainable business model.

The Harvard Club by the nature of their location, history, member base, and dues structure is so vastly different than the Rutgers Club it's just not fair to compare. This doesn't mean it can't be a great asset to the university and alumni.

I'm not saying it won't look good. I'm saying the the idea of hopping off the train and having a pint in a fancy club that looks like old money sounds great but the reality is that it's probably not a sustainable business model.

The Harvard Club by the nature of their location, history, member base, and dues structure is so vastly different than the Rutgers Club it's just not fair to compare. This doesn't mean it can't be a great asset to the university and alumni.
We agree.

The hope is that it looks less catering/dining hall and more "clubby"

Reactions: Scarlet Pride
Great points Scarlet Pride. Even in the case of the Ivy schools' clubs, I assume they have both their fancy, old money clubs located on-campus in addition to the resources of having well-appointed, old money ones in Manhattan for their NY-area alumni and/or those traveling there on business and wanting to stop in on their own or entertain in-town or out-of-town clientele.

For Rutgers, strictly geographically-comparable-speaking (probably not a term, lol) with Yale, for example, where the college campus is located within the greater metro area of the same city (NYC)...sure, it might be nice if Rutgers was able to establish one in Manhattan but due to a combination of well understood and debated factors related to history/legacy, socioeconomics, demographics, etc. it's not likely to be in the cards for Rutgers unless some very well-heeled alumni or benefactors in the future have the motivation and resources to make something like that happen.

Along the lines of what you stated, Rutgers isn't competing with the Ivies in that regard, likely never will, and if it did, it wouldn't be a fair competition or comparison in our lifetimes. Something/some one(s) would have to come along that would be a game changer and generationally transformative in impact that could change the arc/course of the school's trajectory. At that point, it would probably no longer be the Rutgers that most of us know...whether that's a good or bad thing is probably a separate issue. Rutgers' legacy since becoming the State U has set it on a different path in its mission of service to the state of NJ and its residents, allowing so many to benefit from opportunities that such a comprehensive institution provides.

Anyway I digress, but back to developing a new club over on Livingston co-located with the dining commons...hopefully there is a sufficient budget to execute it well and make it reasonably impressive for clients and guests. If alumni are proud of it, more of them are likely to take advantage of having access to it, even if only on gamedays (often the only times some alumni come back to campus). If the athletic teams are successful, all the better.

We agree.

The hope is that it looks less catering/dining hall and more "clubby"

I visited the new Rutgers club this week on Livingston, and had lunch there. I stand corrected about my previous opinion. I was about the only person who spoke favorably about the change, but I did not like the new Rutgers club. It has a very sterile dining hall atmosphere, unlike the previous Rutgers club. I was a critic of the previous, but it did have lots of atmosphere. That said, the lunch was amazing, very good swordfish.

I visited the new Rutgers club this week on Livingston, and had lunch there. I stand corrected about my previous opinion. I was about the only person who spoke favorably about the change, but I did not like the new Rutgers club. It has a very sterile dining hall atmosphere, unlike the previous Rutgers club. I was a critic of the previous, but it did have lots of atmosphere. That said, the lunch was amazing, very good swordfish.
Boo!

Had a feeling and was hoping there would have been at least an attempt
to make it a little less institutional looking.

I wasn't expecting a "stately Wayne Manor" or Downton Abbey vibe but come on, dining hall-chic?

Still hoping this is a temp move until all the future changes on College Avenue.

Boo!

Had a feeling and was hoping there would have been at least an attempt
to make it a little less institutional looking.

I wasn't expecting a "stately Wayne Manor" or Downton Abbey vibe but come on, dining hall-chic?

Still hoping this is a temp move until all the future changes on College Avenue.

Is there such a thing as an Alumni Center ? A building or portion of a building dedicated to alumni where they can come gather, utilize a library (can alumni use the regular libraries?), maybe utilize some space for remote working, seperate dining & bar rooms, events space, and then a alumni dedicated career services center ?

Hey, there's a post I made back in 2008 that you might want to reply to!

This is an often-repeated myth.

The River Dorms actually replaced a row of WWII barracks-style buildings that were actually temporary student housing. My guess is that someone got confused about this history and this myth was born.
Heard that in '85. Lol
I guess it was wishful thinking from those that felt guilty for getting them built

Is there such a thing as an Alumni Center ? A building or portion of a building dedicated to alumni where they can come gather, utilize a library (can alumni use the regular libraries?), maybe utilize some space for remote working, seperate dining & bar rooms, events space, and then a alumni dedicated career services center ?

Winants Hall was supposed to be that, it ended up being office space, and now Barchi is taking it over.

They're making Van Nest into an Alumni house, although obviously that's a much smaller venue. Camden has one already.

This is what some other Big Ten Schools do:
http://directory.alumni.psu.edu/s/1218/16/interior.aspx?sid=1218&gid=4&pgid=4257
https://riggs.umd.edu/
https://www.uwalumni.com/alumni-park/
http://planevents.osu.edu/longaberger-alumni-house.html
https://uialumniassociation.org/alumni-center/
http://www.huskeralum.org/s/1620/social.aspx?sid=1620&gid=1&pgid=434
http://www.alumni.northwestern.edu/s/1479/02-naa/16/interior.aspx?pgid=683&gid=2
https://mac-events.org/

I would have liked to see them either truly turn Winants Hall into an Alumni House, or tear down/completely gut/renovate Ford Hall and turn that into a true alumni house with space for conferences, dining, library, lounge, and more.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUnTeX
This is the Rutgers Club's new location:

21765577_1153292591469992_1312705815549381214_o.jpg

21728940_1153292631469988_2510122430150443813_o.jpg

21729056_1153292668136651_992593713406126837_o.jpg

Personally, while I loved the history of the old house, it smelled bad. It was inconvenient, creaky, and not a particularly good location for what it was. I would have liked to see more of the fixtures make the move (such as the bar, clocks, pictures, etc.)

The new location has outdoor dining, a place for a reception lounge, and a place for meeting spaces. It will also undergo renovations in the winter to install a brand new modern bar with accompanying architecture.

I have made the suggestion that they have a "Scarlet" or "Old Queens" room with wood paneling, couches, etc., as much more of a lounge area or old style dining room. Similar to the Cap and Skull room at the College Avenue Student Center, just because the building you're in has one architecture, doesn't mean the room has to match it. They can have the nice, airy, open dining room and also have some places with real character.

The fact is that there aren't enough people running the decision making on this stuff whom are alumni. Feel free to complain, but you have the ability to make a difference here.

I would also point out that a lot of you are comparing this to a "club". This is far more of a restaurant, not really a club. It's honestly a misnomer since it doesn't have any of the other trappings of a university club, alumni center, or alumni house.

I'd like to see them make a push to appeal to people coming to football, basketball, wrestling, and the like.

Last edited:
From the pictures it is nicer than I expected but would hope there is more (as @Sir ScarletKnight suggest) "Rutgers" in the room than just the one spot I can see. Does not seem to be a lot of red in there?

And also from the pictures I can see what @ElmiraExpress was talking about with regard to the dining hall look to it.

From the pictures it is nicer than I expected but would hope there is more (as @Sir ScarletKnight suggest) "Rutgers" in the room than just the one spot I can see. Does not seem to be a lot of red in there?

And also from the pictures I can see what @ElmiraExpress was talking about with regard to the dining hall look to it.

There are a bunch of old photographs that have been hung, and older chairs in the hallways with the old Rutgers seal on them.

Contact them! Offer to pay for repainting a section in a true Rutgers red! Donate fine Rutgers curtains! Help commission some stainless glass windows with a Rutgers R, the 1766 logo, etc.

And do the same for the Alumni House when it opens, or even contact them now and see if you can help in some way!
23331020_1183500508449200_8101309856841026258_o.jpg
23275477_1183500541782530_9049765704466024385_o.jpg

23275327_1183500575115860_964291083149253213_o.jpg
23270179_1183500605115857_4979429893357955588_o.jpg

23275586_1183500658449185_707062576335246778_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainJersey1989
I have to say that looks great for events, receptions, etc which is probably 95% of their business. Looking forward to seeing the bar. I'm a member but haven't been to the new location. I will need to fix that soon.

Heard that in '85. Lol
I guess it was wishful thinking from those that felt guilty for getting them built
The funniest Mugrat I ever read was one in the early 80's which proclaimed that the River Dorms would have to be demolished to complete construction of Route 18 to the John Lynch Bridge. The first part of the article was totally believable.

I have to say that looks great for events, receptions, etc which is probably 95% of their business. Looking forward to seeing the bar. I'm a member but haven't been to the new location. I will need to fix that soon.

Will there definitely be a bar at the new Rutgers Club ? When I was there, I didn't see anything that looked like a bar area. It was all just open dining area. However, it might not all be finished yet.

And do the same for the Alumni House when it opens, or even contact them now and see if you can help in some way!

What can you tell us about the Alumni House? Location? Free standing bldg?

And whom to contact? Alumni Relations? Is there a particular individual you know that might be helpful or receptive to feedback?

What can you tell us about the Alumni House? Location? Free standing bldg?

And whom to contact? Alumni Relations? Is there a particular individual you know that might be helpful or receptive to feedback?

Right now the New Brunswick Alumni House is slated to be Van Nest Hall. As far as I know, the conversations about requirements have not started in earnest. I'd recommend talking to someone from Alumni Rleations about this project.

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
Right now the New Brunswick Alumni House is slated to be Van Nest Hall. As far as I know, the conversations about requirements have not started in earnest. I'd recommend talking to someone from Alumni Rleations about this project.

Thanks for the info. I also just noticed in one earlier post above where Sir SK did mention Van Nest for the NB Alumni House - missed it previously. Would be nice to be part of conversations related to something I donated to a few years ago when there wasn't even anything conceptualized. I'll reach out to Alumni Relations. In any case, I'd consider donating again/further to the cause at the appropriate time if Rutgers presents a strong vision for how they plan to execute this project.

What is the parking situation over there? Do you still have to park over in Lot 105 (often full) to go to stuff at Livingston Dining Hall / Rutgers Club?

Rejecting the Gateway idea and their explanation is just infuriating. So Rutgers.

I always though the Rutgers Club should relocate to Rutgers Golf Course in a brand new clubhouse. Kills two birds...

Right now the only thing I have to compare the Rutgers House to is the Cornell Club in Manhattan which is stately, has a Statler Hilton Hotel(Cornell has the Statler Hilton Hotel School in Ithaca), offers hugely upscale dining & stuns you the minute you walk in the massive front doors. The inside is the rival of any IVY school CLUB in the league.

The old Rutgers Club was NOT a fair comparison.
The new Livingston Rutgers Club lost me at "sterile"

I am with those that like the idea of something like Winnants Hall (or another huge historical building)being repurposed. We are the 8th oldest school in the nation & we deserve to have an impressive Rutgers Club. With dialog like I see in this thread at least we have a shot at making it happen...we deserve it.....especially now that we are BIG TEN.

Reactions: RUKeystone
Right now the only thing I have to compare the Rutgers House to is the Cornell Club in Manhattan which is stately, has a Statler Hilton Hotel(Cornell has the Statler Hilton Hotel School in Ithaca), offers hugely upscale dining & stuns you the minute you walk in the massive front doors. The inside is the rival of any IVY school CLUB in the league.

The old Rutgers Club was NOT a fair comparison.
The new Livingston Rutgers Club lost me at "sterile"

I am with those that like the idea of something like Winnants Hall (or another huge historical building)being repurposed. We are the 8th oldest school in the nation & we deserve to have an impressive Rutgers Club. With dialog like I see in this thread at least we have a shot at making it happen...we deserve it.....especially now that we are BIG TEN.

Hah!

Winants Hall was originally supposed to be for the alumni association. Now Barchi's there (they're currently doing renovations) and the alumni house will be in Van Nest. Most of the house will be offices, with only a small reception area. There's only so much room.

You want something like what Cornell had? You and a bunch of alumni better make a lot of noise in the RUAA, RAA, and get a lot of money into it. As for sterile, wait till they finish renovating it to judge the Livi club.

Personally, I want to see what they can do with the new quad and the new dining hall on College Ave.. If alumni get involved early and often, and make noise about what they want to see, that's where we could really have a special place. I'd love to see a true alumni center made at that space. And if anyone says that the plan is already made, I point them to the new lacrosse/soccer/academic center that's been funded. It was a completely different building until the donation.

Hmmm, interesting idea. Does the golf course currently have any kind of clubhouse?

No, but I agree that it should. But I'd prefer a real alumni center on college ave. We deserve this, not some elitist clubhouse.

https://riggs.umd.edu/roomsrates
https://www.weddingwire.com/biz/samuel-riggs-iv-alumni-center-college-park/73caf47b63238a60.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mcnamaraalumnicenter/albums

Last edited:
Reactions: RUKeystone
What is the parking situation over there? Do you still have to park over in Lot 105 (often full) to go to stuff at Livingston Dining Hall / Rutgers Club?

New parking lot is going in, should be completed over the summer.

I predict the new Rutgers club will be very popular once it has a bar. Lots of Rutgers students in those apartments are 21 or over, and there's a good market for the basketball games since the Diner is often at/over capacity.

Remember, the Rutgers Club is run by dining, not alumni.

New parking lot is going in, should be completed over the summer.

I predict the new Rutgers club will be very popular once it has a bar. Lots of Rutgers students in those apartments are 21 or over, and there's a good market for the basketball games since the Diner is often at/over capacity.

Remember, the Rutgers Club is run by dining, not alumni.
I still don't get how they can close at 3pm on Friday and re-open on Monday for breakfast and be successful. Unless they book solid for weekend events. Seems like they're missing out on being a part of the dining scene in & around New Brunswick.

So it is now March....

Had the work on the bar been completed?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT