ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers created fake jobs for graduates to boost MBA program rankings, lawsuit charges

My hunch is that a lot of business and law schools do their best to fudge the employment numbers. But the fact that practices like this may be common doesn't make them right. Applicants are entitled to know what their prospects for employment really are.

P.S. I see I need to edit this to make clear that I am not saying that Ms. White's specific allegations are true, but only that fudging of various kinds does happen. The argument for the fudging is that it can give graduates a temporary source of income, but the fact remains that applicants can get a misimpression about their job prospects following graduation.

Last edited:
“White, 54, who alleged she was the subject of retaliation over health and other issues aimed at forcing her resignation or termination…”

Interesting.

Intent versus incidental makes all the difference, and that will be dredged through the media and then likely forgotten. In the meantime, when has Rutgers figured anything out relating to the perceived success of our academics or the well-being of our graduates? We keep hiring PSU grads to run our gameday operations for athletics, for instance.

The lawsuit was filed Friday. Going through a temp agency to hire a bunch of grads in order to report a 100% employment rate and having your rankings shoot higher is a big story. This isn‘t a case of only one or two hires. NJ.com isn’t the only outlet that reported on it and more will pick the story up on Monday.

Reactions: Plum Street
This is a huge story if it has any legs .

Politi is probably combing through the media guides to see what ru football players went to the business school

Any legs to this ?

This is a huge story if it has any legs .

Politi is probably combing through the media guides to see what ru football players went to the business school

It's the MBA program though, so I don't think we had any grad players in it.

If this is as bad as it sounds - folks should lose their jobs
But three points...
1. Yes, disgruntled employee, so grain of salt until we hear the details. This might be Biz school's version of Eric Murdoch
2. Goose-ing college rankings is an industry onto itself. USNWR is very tainted with gamesmanship
3. Sherman is still a creep living off making RU look bad

If this is as bad as it sounds - folks should lose their jobs
But three points...
1. Yes, disgruntled employee, so grain of salt until we hear the details. This might be Biz school's version of Eric Murdoch
2. Goose-ing college rankings is an industry onto itself. USNWR is very tainted with gamesmanship
3. Sherman is still a creep living off making RU look bad
Hits the nail on the head with all 3 points.

I am assuming everyone got a salary so how is a job through a temp agency not still considered a job. Heck, some companies have a policy of only bringing people in through temp agencies and then making a decision to keep them or not down the road.

Interested to see who was involved. Was this solely a MBA Career Services scheme? I had Dean Lei Lei as a professor during my core MBA year at RBS. She taught supply chain. I would be shocked if she was directly part of this.
OT: how do you like Rutgers MBA? Did it help you make the career switch?

OT: how do you like Rutgers MBA? Did it help you make the career switch?
Exceptional experience and positive impact on my career. My "switch" was very modest. Going from pharma R&D to pharma commercial/marketing. As a chemical engineer, getting the MBA made this transition very seamless and easy.

The best decision of my educational career.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT