ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers fans and mediocrity.

IL Lusciato

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2011
Newark, NJ
I'm sorry, but the paddy cake stuff has to stop. Cheer the team, be happy after getting bounced in the first round of the NIT, etc. That's your prerogative.

But I'm tired of being told to sit down and stop being loud and not to express frustration etc at some of these games.

I was surrounded tonight by RU fans and some REALLY vocal Hofstra fans. We were all talking our shit and cheering, but no one confronted or addressed each other unless it was friendly.

We miss the rebound and the end of regulation and I'm sorry but i'm pissed off...I just yell "com'on God damnit!" "Can't miss those boards" "com'on guys gotta crash those damn boards!"

And some lady in front of me feels the need to confront me and say I'm not cheering for Rutgers properly. Mind you I'm one of rhe loudest in my section at any given game and attend every damn game. I say "whatever don't tell me how to cheer. Don't care. Turn around" and some other guy decides to confront me about "yelling at her" (meanwhile her own husband says nothing bc he knows it's not right). This second guys wife tells him to chill out, and mind you, I'm not even moving or attempting anything physical. Just telling him to turn around and don't tell me how to be a fan ....I'm a bigger guy and quite a bit younger than him too...just no need...a minute later this guy is screaming at the refs about how terrible they are lol. BTW the two guys in my row were hanging w me the whole game and had no problem with me, nor did anyone else.

Anyway, I'm pissed off on a few levels. But man, enough with the cupcake middle school stuff. We should have done better to end the year. Period. Not taking anything away from these young men or this staff as people or men, at all.

We've really gotta grow up as a fan base. It's all for fun and I get that, but let's have expectations and admit it's ok to be frustrated.

The way this season ended is not cool. We will live, we still love the players and coaches, but we deserved better, esp those of us who came out tonight once again.

Anyway, I've got more to say, but just venting. Really pissed me off.

Hope you all have a great night as best you can. Man what a crappy way to go out. And getting into arguments with our fellow fans is just making the experience worse. Bad enough I had to deal w the Hofstra guys (who I congratulated)

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but the paddy cake stuff has to stop. Cheer the team, be happy after getting bounced in the first round of the NIT, etc. That's your prerogative.

But I'm tired of being told to sit down and stop being loud and not to express frustration etc at some of these games.

I was surrounded tonight by RU fans and some REALLY vocal Hofstra fans. We were all talking our shit and cheering, but no one confronted or addressed each other unless it was friendly.

We miss the rebound and the end of regulation and I'm sorry but i'm pissed off...I just yell "com'on God damnit!" "Can't miss those boards" "com'on guys gotta crash those damn boards!"

And some lady in front of me feels the need to confront me and say I'm not cheering for Rutgers properly. Mind you I'm one of rhe loudest in my section at any given game and attend every damn game. I say "whatever don't tell me how to cheer. Don't care. Turn around" and some other guy decides to confront me about "yelling at her" (meanwhile her own husband says nothing bc he knows it's not right). This second guys wife tells him to chill out, and mind you, I'm not even moving or attempting anything physical. Just telling him to turn around and don't tell me how to be a fan ....I'm a bigger guy and quite a bit younger than him too...just no need...a minute later this guy is screaming at the refs about how terrible they are lol. BTW the two guys in my row were hanging w me the whole game and had no problem with me, nor did anyone else.

Anyway, I'm pissed off on a few levels. But man, enough with the cupcake middle school stuff. We should have done better to end the year. Period. Not taking anything away from these young men or this staff as people or men, at all. Just calling out a performance that really could have been better, esp when you tell ppl you deserve to be in the big tournament. All of us would get called out at our own jobs too.

We've really gotta grow up as a fan base. It's all for fun and I get that, but let's have expectations and admit it's ok to be frustrated.

The way this season ended is not cool. We will live, we still love the players and coaches, but we deserved a but better, esp those of us who came out tonight once again.

Hope you all have a great night as best you can. Man what a crappy way to go out. And getting into arguments with our fellow fans is just making the experience worse. Bad enough I had to deal w the Hofstra guys (who I congratulated)
You’re a good fan. Hang in there.

Haha they were those 24 ouncers weren't they?

I
Youre Good Robert Deniro GIF

Reactions: aplus29 and sct1111
I agree wholeheartedly, we are allowed to be frustrated. I wanted to keep the momentum of tourney appearances. Then wanted to win the NIT. WINNING ATTRACTS TALENT!

We didn’t close the game. Missed a FT, missed a rebound, last possession looked like Simpson thought about lobbing it to cliff when he left his feet.

All respect to Hofstra. They had players at all positions and shot thelights out. Thomas was blanketed by Caleb and hit everything.

The lady probably didn't like the GDI curse. Next time don't even confront the jerks and just keep yelling lol. If I was there I would have yelled out what you said just out of principle after hearing what the lady said. A stranger telling you how to cheer? Weird. And yes it was a very frustrating game.

• Haha
Reactions: IL Lusciato
A Rutgers fan made my 8yo daughter cry tonight bc she happened to kick the back of his chair as she was swinging her legs in her chair(she really didn’t know she was doing it and more of an accident).
He was pretty nice in asking her to stop but she felt so embarrassed and from that point on it was game over for Rutgers. Again no harm no foul as I’ve seen a lot worse at these games.

The lady probably didn't like the GDI curse. Next time don't even confront the jerks and just keep yelling lol. If I was there I would have yelled out what you said just out of principle after hearing what the lady said. A stranger telling you how to cheer? Weird. And yes it was a very frustrating game.

Haha appreciate it man. I'd get it if I was being extremely vulgar or something. But com'on that was a frustrating play!

A Rutgers fan made my 8yo daughter cry tonight bc she happened to kick the back of his chair as she was swinging her legs in her chair(she really didn’t know she was doing it and more of an accident).
He was pretty nice in asking her to stop but she felt so embarrassed and from that point on it was game over for Rutgers. Again no harm no foul as I’ve seen a lot worse at these games.

It's just weird how we can be such a raucous fanbase apparently, but have some serious buzz kills scattered around.

Anyway, I'm pissed off on a few levels. But man, enough with the cupcake middle school stuff. We should have done better to end the year. Period. Not taking anything away from these young men or this staff as people or men, at all. Just calling out a performance that really could have been better, esp when you tell ppl you deserve to be in the big tournament. All of us would get called out at our own jobs too.

The way this season ended is not cool. We will live, we still love the players and coaches, but we deserved a but better, esp those of us who came out tonight once again.

Some of these old timers have been going for 50 years and think they own the place. They don’t so cheer all you want and tell them to take some geritol and chill out.

• Haha
Agreed. You would get ripped to shreds though if you ever say in section 102 with season ticket holders. Grumpy bunch

Def believe you lol

Up in the 300s I've never been scolded. And at football games, most those around me are hyped to see me, and I'm pretty close to the field at those. Not saying I'm the most polite ball fan ever, but jeez.

I was in front of you sitting next to them, on the aise seat row K of 111

Heard the confrontation and them telling you to not be like a Penn state fan

Actually got up and left mid arguement bc I had to piss before overtime

I didn’t think you were out of line and wasn’t sure what the arguement was about

I thought that was his wife - they were cheering all game and super into it as was whole section

I Chalked it up to frustration w the teams performance and nothing more

• Love
Def believe you lol

Up in the 300s I've never been scolded. And at football games, most those around me are hyped to see me, and I'm pretty close to the field at those. Not saying I'm the most polite ball fan ever, but jeez.
How was tonight's environment compared to the regular season - it sounded louder than usual- which was surprising given that its Spring Break

I didn’t think you were out of line and wasn’t sure what the arguement was about

I thought that was his wife - they were cheering all game and super into it as was whole section

Were you riding Paul's jock? Can't blame our guys for that last rebound in regulation. Took a wild bounce over Cliff's outstretched fingertips. That said, another disappointing night from our big man.

Reactions: Scarlet Bri
Were you riding Paul's jock? Can't blame our guys for that last rebound in regulation. Took a wild bounce over Cliff's outstretched fingertips. That said, another disappointing night from our big man.
I don’t ride anyone’s jock

Ive been disappointed with Paul’s play lately, especially when Mag went down

More disappointed with his on court attitude, which is a shame bc by all accounts he’s a great kid and ambassador of the university with a bright future

This correct regarding the rebound. Watching the replay we had 4 guys around the basket. Cliff jumped and perfectly tipped it over Derek to the Hofstra guy. Derek was right there for the rebound if Cliff didn’t touch it. If Cliff grabs it or misses it entirely we get the rebound. The slight tip just over Derek was the only possible outcome where the Hofstra guy gets it.

How was tonight's environment compared to the regular season - it sounded louder than usual- which was surprising given that its Spring Break

It was impressive tbh. The student section was 2/3rds full and loud. The fans got up to about midway through the 200s on both sides. Maybe bc it was all die hardship, but we were loud and were standing for large swaths of the game. The vibe as soon as I sat down was that everyone in there knew the team well bc they were serious fans.

Really wanted to come back Saturday, I think it would have been electric. People say what they want about the NIT, put your favorite team and school and state in a gym with something to win, and fans will be there.

Hofstra has a good crowd too. A vocal confidence without being obnoxious or corny. Was a great atmosphere and game. Had we won, with the snow, might have gone down as a memory for some.

Glad to hear from you about it...yeah I agree after thinking about it. We were all frustrated and it got silly. I don't get why he said I was like a penn state fan haha. Great crowd. They were loud too which us why i was like wtf lol...Tough end.

This correct regarding the rebound. Watching the replay we had 4 guys around the basket. Cliff jumped and perfectly tipped it over Derek to the Hofstra guy. Derek was right there for the rebound if Cliff didn’t touch it. If Cliff grabs it or misses it entirely we get the rebound. The slight tip just over Derek was the only possible outcome where the Hofstra guy gets it.

I was so frustrated watching it.

Glad to hear from you about it...yeah I agree after thinking about it. We were all frustrated and it got silly. I don't get why he said I was like a penn state fan haha. Great crowd. They were loud too which us why i was like wtf lol...Tough end.
It happens

We’re all competitors to a certain degree

We all want to win and love this university and the game of basketball

Sometimes things get heated but at the end of the day, Cooler heads prevailed

That’s the most important thing - we saw a great game w a great crowd, and absent of a win you can’t ask for anything more than that

You were completely out of line and a total embarrassment. Loudly spewing obscenities to no one in particular throughout. Offending all in your area and having no self awareness or regard for anyone else. When asked nicely to tone it down to have some respect for all within earshot including kids who shouldn’t have to endure 2 hours of f bombs and a-hole this and eff that that you become argumentative with some woman? The fact that you can come on here and criticize others who were loudly cheering and engaged but had the decency and self control to not act like some drunken Jets fan is unbelievable. A ticket to a college basketball game does not give you license to act like a complete jerkoff. I just hope you don’t travel to away games lest other fanbases think you represent the rest of us. Being passionate and being a profane, abusive slob do not have to go together. Some of us are mature enough to understand this.

Last edited:
You were completely out of line and a total embarrassment. Loudly spewing obscenities to no one in particular throughout. Offending all in your area and having no self awareness or regard for anyone else. When asked nicely to tone it down to have some respect for all within earshot including kids who shouldn’t have to endure 2 hours of f bombs and a-hole that you become argumentative with some woman? The fact that you can come on here and criticize others who were loudly cheering and engaged but had the decency and self control to not act like some drunken Jets fan is unbelievable.

Absolute nonsense, and another poster has already said that. F bombs all night?! Cut me a break. Are you the one I'm referencing? Selective tough guy and selective about screaming at refs and etc yourself. Again, if someone chooses to confront another, that person will respond. I was talking to 3 other guys and had Hofstra fans at the same level of banter as me behind me. You're just a hypocrite who didn't have the guts to say anything to my face.

Last edited:
Admitelly I usually tune everything out when I’m at a game - I like to fully concentrate and really think through what’s going on

Schemes, strategy, body language, zone, man, switches, ball movement, etc

Two Michigan fans were in front of me going bananas all game in 112 and I literally didn’t pay a bit of attention bc I was into the game in my own mind

If my wife / daughter was with me I’m Ute I’d be more in tune w what’s going on around me

But 99 % of the time I’m solo, and that allows me to be in my own little world tuning out most things

Similar to when I played sports and currently when I’m in work mode, I just tuned things out and concentrated at the task on hand

You were completely out of line and a total embarrassment. Loudly spewing obscenities to no one in particular throughout. Offending all in your area and having no self awareness or regard for anyone else. When asked nicely to tone it down to have some respect for all within earshot including kids who shouldn’t have to endure 2 hours of f bombs and a-hole this and eff that that you become argumentative with some woman? The fact that you can come on here and criticize others who were loudly cheering and engaged but had the decency and self control to not act like some drunken Jets fan is unbelievable. A ticket to a college basketball game does not give you license to act like a complete jerkoff. I just hope you don’t travel to away games lest other fanbases think you represent the rest of us. Being passionate and being a profane, abusive slob do not have to go together. Some of us are mature enough to understand this.

Keep editing your paragraph bc you didn't have the balls to have this conversation in person despite apparently being right there. What a weak move.

It was impressive tbh. The student section was 2/3rds full and loud. The fans got up to about midway through the 200s on both sides. Maybe bc it was all die hardship, but we were loud and were standing for large swaths of the game. The vibe as soon as I sat down was that everyone in there knew the team well bc they were serious fans.

Really wanted to come back Saturday, I think it would have been electric. People say what they want about the NIT, put your favorite team and school and state in a gym with something to win, and fans will be there.

Hofstra has a good crowd too. A vocal confidence without being obnoxious or corny. Was a great atmosphere and game. Had we won, with the snow, might have gone down as a memory for some.
I was surprised RU fans turned out so well. Very impressive showing IMO. Looked great on TV. Unfortunately the boys couldn't handle powerhouse Hofstra at RAC to continue season.

You are just realizing today that Rutgers fans will settle for mediocrity as long as they get a chance to play with the cool kids (BE then B1G)? Where have you been for the last 30 years? Winning championships is not a priority for most of our fans, we are a participation trophy fan base.

I wouldn’t expect you to say anything else. You obviously had no intention of modifying your behavior since people around you evidently asked you to and you refused. Pretty sure “having a conversation” would be a fruitless exercise with no benefit. The fact that you chose to start a post about your behavior proves the point.

I wouldn’t expect you to say anything else. You obviously had no intention of modifying your behavior since people around you evidently asked you to and you refused. Pretty sure “having a conversation” would be a fruitless exercise with no benefit. The fact that you chose to start a post about your behavior proves the point.

Whatever you've gotta tell yourself bud.

Seems perfectly fine to me as long as your not disrespecting the other team or their fans. Sounds like you weren't, so yea, I am with you, scream all you want that Paul's gotta make some plays! They pour some good beers at RAC too. They used to pour Founders Breakfast Stout.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT