ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football Spring Game Takeaways: Team Scarlet wins final scrimmage

I posted on round table the following

torue, Guerrier AK were the stars of the game
Brantley did well too

O line did great
end rush was pathetic at best

Reactions: Wolv RU
It’s the spring game! Same as every program in the country. Base D no blitzes.
so it's clear from your response you have zero idea what you are talking about. I would suggest rewatching tonight and watch the outside rush and 1:1 match ups with that tackles and then come back

there was zero outside pressure, no interior pressure and it's the no blitz scrimmage that you get to see the holes in the defense

so it's clear from your response you have zero idea what you are talking about. I would suggest rewatching tonight and watch the outside rush and 1:1 match ups with that tackles and then come back

there was zero outside pressure, no interior pressure and it's the no blitz scrimmage that you get to see the holes in the defense
Agressive response! Have to say I wasn’t able to attend the game and will watch the game tonight. But you even admit in your response there was no blitzing. So how is what I said incorrect?
Didn’t say anything about lack of talent or not winning one on ones. I said base d and no blitzes. Zero clue?!?!??! Good one.

What did everyone think about the 3 pass interference penalties against White in the first half ?

Good thing there were no dropped passes for the Scarlet side.🤔😂
And Crumpler plays D for a reason.😂 Alge Crumpler never dropped a pass.

So it’s clear you have no clue what base d means and what you’re talking about. Unless something changes in the second half. We are sitting in a base 4-3 d with no stunts or blitzes. Exactly what I said.

What did everyone think about the 3 pass interference penalties against White in the first half ?
I guess I’ll have to reply to myself …. I’m biased via the belief Schiano will never demote Wimsatt barring catastrophic QB play and a lost season… ie down the stretch we’re looking at 4 wins max.

So through my biased lens and thinking that the first two PIs were questionable, seeing the INT reversed in the end zone on a total bs call and late flag, the third PI, Schiano had the refs boost Golden Gavin’s appearance of being able to move the ball thru the air and not throw INTs. Illusion.

Would anyone be surprised if Greg did this ?
Enlist the hired refs to help sell Gavin to the fans again ?

I guess I’ll have to reply to myself …. I’m biased via the belief Schiano will never demote Wimsatt barring catastrophic QB play and a lost season… ie down the stretch we’re looking at 4 wins max.

So through my biased lens and thinking that the first two PIs were questionable, seeing the INT reversed in the end zone on a total bs call and late flag, the third PI, Schiano had the refs boost Golden Gavin’s appearance of being able to move the ball thru the air and not throw INTs. Illusion.

You are truly a sad pathetic fool, go back to the Sadexcuse board where you belong

You are truly a sad pathetic fool, go back to the Sadexcuse board where you belong
he does bear one point that has been discussed and does leave people scratching their heads. It doesn't take Chuck Knoll to see how bad Gav has been for us and yet Greg seems intent to ignore Gav's failings. We have a lot of players, a lot of kids that make things happen and with Gav, that ceiling is fixed. Any coach of a team with the worst rated QB in d1 football would normally be kicked to curb for bringing him back

Shelby is not wrong for questioning the why. AFter all, we all love RU and want her to succeed no?

I’m back! So watched the game. And not sure what you think you saw but no blitzes. No stunts base 4-3 D pretty much exclusive except a couple nickel packages.

You were so confident but so wrong!

AFter all, we all love RU and want her to succeed no
Not Shelby. I use to engage with him but I put him on ignore last summer and it's a much better experience on this board. He lost any shred of credibility he had when he stated last year that our team would be in pick 'em games with half of the FCS teams in the country. That would put us in the Colgate neighborhood.

4 talented QBs. Adding in Athan’s should-have-been pick 6 on the first play, lots of promise but really no clear leader among the 4 QBs IMO.

AJ surprised with his quicks. Ajani surprised with his solid passing. GW and AK did what we expected each to do.

I think AJ definitely has the most talent among them. But exp really counts at QB and it’s going to come down to who the staff thinks will make the fewest mistakes. So it’s still a GW and AK battle.

Free rettig!!

9/11 was an inside job!

Free rettig!!

9/11 was an inside job!
I'm convinced those two are paid by rivals to keep the conversations going here...once you accept that you don't take anything they say seriously, they are just here for entertainment. Just know that the refs in spring games have nothing to do with the team they are legit refs from big10 or other conferences...they just want people to vent on the board about Gavin...increases clicks no matter how much better the team has been or will become.. controversy sells... navigate all of social media this way if you want to be objective about things.

Speaking of....what ever happened to Proud NJ Sports Fan? Haven't seen any of his drivel in a while...
Who?
That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

What stood out to me is that Gavin kept the read option on his td run..maybe we will see him pull and keep more of those read options with monangai more. If he's the starter.

Reactions: Knight Shift
He had two blatant PI calls, but on the other hand he saved big plays. The one in the end zone was so bad lol he didn't even try to disguise it. But the refs said #16 did it.
On another ps, RU suddenly has a group of high quality receivers and a couple good TEs. Pair that with the ground game this offense will be scoring points.

Reactions: WestOrangeCL
One concern I noticed after watching the replay that isn't getting much discussion is the apparent poor play of the secondary. I realize that not many on the two deep were playing but they had a couple of PIs and couple more that could have been called. In addition they were consistently being beaten over the top. Not sure that this was a result of their poor play or our improvement in the receiver corp.
On the plus side I think some of the young O linemen played well.

Last edited:
One concern I noticed after watching the replay that isn't getting much discussion is the apparent poor play of the secondary. I realize that not many on the two deep were playing but they had a couple of PIs and couple more that could have been called. In addition they were consistently being beaten over the top. Not sure that this was a result of their poor play or our improvement in the receiver corp.
On the plus side I thing some of the young O linemen played well.
I think it's a combo to be honest. Some of the routes and breaks were very good. there were two throws by Gav that should have been picks by a competent secondary and AK had that one. The upside is you could see the speed and athleticism of the younger dbs but they need time and development

Reactions: colbert17
The thing that stood out to me after watching GW and AK is the decision making.

GW seems more likely to make bad decisions (throwing into tight coverage, double coverage etc).

AK made the short throws and had less bad decisions.

just an observation

Reactions: ScarletNut
Speaking of....what ever happened to Proud NJ Sports Fan? Haven't seen any of his drivel in a while...
He stopped posting March 10 and before he posted almost every day. Something might have happened to him in Florida. I just noticed he hadn’t posted in a while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT