ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football suffers ugly loss to No. 22 Iowa on Saturday

Doubtful, this was an old fashioned, corn field ass whoopin’….completely dominated. They made a bad QB look competent.
And showed we don’t have a P5 capable QB who can win a game with his passing.
Moral victories are for wussies. Don’t see us doing any better than 5-7 or 6-6 ( with some breaks) next year with this QB.

I disagree with your assessment of Greg QB position handling is definitely his weakness
I believe are headed for a situation where he won’t be able screw it up
There will be to many able real QB’s on the roster for him to pick the wrong guy
We will never really know the answer to this with Greg’s insistence on only playing a QB who continues to make the same mistakes game in and game out…22 games now. Maybe in 2025 when Gavin’s eligibility is up.

Reactions: socaldave
The coaches did absolutely nothing to try and win this game. They were scared from kick off. I give Gavin maybe 30% of the blame.

How about something other than two runs up the middle and an incomplete pass. There is literally no room for error, because any incompletion results in a punt. No quarterback will succeed in that system. How about getting Aaron Young in space. Or getting Rochelle that we heard so much about involved. They didn't do a goddamn thing to try and win. You're not going to win by dinking and dunking against Iowa.

Is NIL going to get us better coaching???
maybe QB that can throw the ball.... maybe a better OL?

players are going to go where they think they are going to be successful and if all things are relatively equal they are going to get the cash.

If you can find a better coach and donate the cash... PLEASE DO!

The coaches did absolutely nothing to try and win this game. They were scared from kick off. I give Gavin maybe 30% of the blame.

We were playing Iowa. Our game plan should have been run the ball a lot, make 0 mistakes, and play great defense against their terrible offense.

Their offense wasn’t terrible. We made a lot of mistakes. So we lost. That’s how it goes.

We were playing Iowa. Our game plan should have been run the ball a lot, make 0 mistakes, and play great defense against their terrible offense.

Their offense wasn’t terrible. We made a lot of mistakes. So we lost. That’s how it goes.
Nobody runs the ball well against Iowa, and when it's clearly not working, we need to do something else

We will never really know the answer to this with Greg’s insistence on only playing a QB who continues to make the same mistakes game in and game out…22 games now. Maybe in 2025 when Gavin’s eligibility is up.
The OC needs to man up and insist I make the starting QB decisions or I am done

Nobody runs the ball well against Iowa, and when it's clearly not working, we need to do something else

That’s not the case at all. PSU rushed for 250 against them, Michigan State 150, even Utah State and Western Michigan had over 100.

RU’s rushing performance was the worst by any team against Iowa this year by 50+ yards.

I think we’re halfway decent on the ground this year, even against good defenses like OSU…so not sure why it didn’t click…but that happens.

But most can't pass the ball on Iowa secondary either unless you have a decent QB, which we don't. As soon as we try to throw deep we gave up an INT. The reason why the coaches were not airing it out was because they were trying to avoid INTs. Our talent is at running the ball, which we have been doing successfully for most of the season. We just never committed to running or passing.. it was like we were in limbo.

Reactions: Barnaby&Neill
But most can't pass the ball on Iowa secondary either unless you have a decent QB, which we don't. As soon as we try to throw deep we gave up an INT. The reason why the coaches were not airing it out was because they were trying to avoid INTs. Our talent is at running the ball, which we have been doing successfully for most of the season. We just never committed to running or passing.. it was like we were in limbo.

Totally agree…you have to stick to your identity and what you do well. If it doesn’t carry you to victory, it’s still easier to live with than losing by sending your weakness against their strength.

I get it we are a run first team, and our QB couldn't hit water if he was standing on a boat. But our power running scheme was not going to get it done versus these fat tractors of Iowa. Especially with no fullback. No trying to isolate the outside contain guy? No counter? Quick hitter to an h-back? Go straight-up option and make the edge pick the guy he's going to hit?

Nah. A-gap dive. Run into the tackle's ass. Overthrow a covered receiver. Punt. Like the bleeping sun rising in the east.

Reactions: LotusAggressor

By the time Gavin is throwing deep, the game is out of reach. The same to me as a Hail Mary into the end zone.

How about a deep ball when it's 0-0. Coaching staff is too chickenshit to try that. Where is case gets intercepted, which is probably longer than we can punt the ball anyway

why not unleash Dremel on a return? Special teams haven’t done much this season.

I get it we are a run first team, and our QB couldn't hit water if he was standing on a boat. But our power running scheme was not going to get it done versus these fat tractors of Iowa. Especially with no fullback. No trying to isolate the outside contain guy? No counter? Quick hitter to an h-back? Go straight-up option and make the edge pick the guy he's going to hit?

Nah. A-gap dive. Run into the tackle's ass. Overthrow a covered receiver. Punt. Like the bleeping sun rising in the east.
I don't think we know wherever or not our power running would have work against Iowa. we didn't even give it a chance.. i think. every time we got running it got stalled due to an incomplete pass or two.

bad loss, no excuse for not putting in another QB.
Greg will probably never run a program hat has an offence good enough to reacxh the playoff land and probably won't be good enough to make RU a major bowl game contender.
But he's good enough to build his team around a D that is bowl bound every year.
In my opinion , that isn't good enough if Rutgers is willing to invest the money it takes to bring in a HC that can make an O & D that's big time and bring in the type of bucks that makes boosters believe the programs worth investing in and Rutges will see NIL money freely given to their recruits in which the best HS and portal talent will find it worth their while to play for Rutgers

So until Rutgers is willing to pony up the money to bring in the best to be HC and the boosters pay what it takes to bring in talent as well as maintain the programs facilities
so recruits are impresses , Schiano is the best you'll get and expect bowl appearances every year but not the ones you can really brag about .
As for playoff, furgetboutit

I'm not happy the way this game went, even if Iowa now is in a position to play for the B1G Championship with this win being 2 games ahead in division standings abs only have to beat Illinois or Nebraska to be an auto entry.
Iowa had something to give them extra motivation ( the B1G game) but that doesn't excuse how badly Rutgers offense played
Hope for a 7 win season is shot, can't expect a win at Happy Valley,next week, but can hope home cooking helps play against the Turtles the final game of the season

It seems like running was a losing approach now that we got our asses handed to us, but last week against OSU the running game got off to a slow start and then really found a groove for a while. We just never settled into that rhythm for any stretch today. But it’s what we have to try to do to win.

Reactions: eddynyse
bad loss, no excuse for not putting in another QB.
Greg will probably never run a program hat has an offence good enough to reacxh the playoff land and probably won't be good enough to make RU a major bowl game contender.
But he's good enough to build his team around a D that is bowl bound every year.
In my opinion , that isn't good enough if Rutgers is willing to invest the money it takes to bring in a HC that can make an O & D that's big time and bring in the type of bucks that makes boosters believe the programs worth investing in and Rutges will see NIL money freely given to their recruits in which the best HS and portal talent will find it worth their while to play for Rutgers

So until Rutgers is willing to pony up the money to bring in the best to be HC and the boosters pay what it takes to bring in talent as well as maintain the programs facilities
so recruits are impresses , Schiano is the best you'll get and expect bowl appearances every year but not the ones you can really brag about .
As for playoff, furgetboutit

I'm not happy the way this game went, even if Iowa now is in a position to play for the B1G Championship with this win being 2 games ahead in division standings abs only have to beat Illinois or Nebraska to be an auto entry.
Iowa had something to give them extra motivation ( the B1G game) but that doesn't excuse how badly Rutgers offense played
Hope for a 7 win season is shot, can't expect a win at Happy Valley,next week, but can hope home cooking helps play against the Turtles the final game of the season
Even if RU was willing to pay for a top Coach.. No established coach is going to risk their career to come to RU.

We need to remember that the game has changed. the top players are only coming here if there's some NIL involved and if we get a good player that becomes great, that player is expecting to get some NIL money or else he is leaving.In fact, I'm sure our best athletes are alk getting NIL to ensure they stay. Is not enough to have amazing facilities and this and that. In fact, i think NIL is better because at least those making the physical and mental sacrifice are getting the cash.

Anyway, I'm with you.. hoping for a win against Maryland but not as confident as I was on Friday... but to me the season has been a success just sucks to lose the way we did tonight.

There run defense is not great. It's just over middle of the pack....its just our coaching and scheming or lack of any scheming brought ZERO to the dance today. I've never seen such a lack of any urgency to try and win a football game before

Reactions: rurichdog
I got the impression GS set out to win that game 3-0. But he couldn't get close enough for the FG attempt.

I got the impression GS set out to win that game 3-0. But he couldn't get close enough for the FG attempt.
That's exactly how he coached. Should have been aggressive after Iowa punted but he played for field position until someone broke serve. Him and Kirk were scared shitless. He would've been thrilled with 0-0 heading to OT.

There run defense is not great. It's just over middle of the pack....its just our coaching and scheming or lack of any scheming brought ZERO to the dance today. I've never seen such a lack of any urgency to try and win a football game before
Greg never plays to win! Plays to not lose by too much. After last year which was statistically worst then the Ash years he can’t afford to look awful so he plays to keep it not too bad. Very frustrating

Reactions: Rokodesh
Everyone shares blame for that offensive horror show. Not just GS. Not just KC. Not just GW. Our OL had its worst game of the year. TEs nonexistent in this offense. 6 pre-snap penalties. WRs don’t separate. A QB that has zero confidence in when to throw or pull it down. And some of the most chickenshit playcalling I’ve seen since Ash.

But that pass he just threw up for grabs it didnt matter who whether it be offense, defense or refs. He just threw that just to throw it.. It was 5yds over the head of 1st receiver and 10yds short of 2nd receiver. That was one of the absolute worst passes I have ever seen he had the deer in the headlights look on that play. Why you have 2 receivers in the same spot is beyond me gotta ask Captain Kirk on that one

20 yards of total offense in 2nd half says it all. Only down 6-0 at half but no change in strategy in 2nd half
Defense just got worn out
GW was 7-10, then went 0-11 to finish 7-18. Tough to move the ball with 6 false starts, Iowa's run Defense and completing <40% of passes and 0fer last 11 attempts.

Brutal just brutal

That’s not the case at all. PSU rushed for 250 against them, Michigan State 150, even Utah State and Western Michigan had over 100.

RU’s rushing performance was the worst by any team against Iowa this year by 50+ yards.

I think we’re halfway decent on the ground this year, even against good defenses like OSU…so not sure why it didn’t click…but that happens.

How many of those games were in November for Iowa?

Let's remember, Iowa has won 16 of last 17 in November.

Kirk Ferentz's DNA at Iowa for the most part. Year 34 overall, 25th as head coach.

It seems like running was a losing approach now that we got our asses handed to us, but last week against OSU the running game got off to a slow start and then really found a groove for a while. We just never settled into that rhythm for any stretch today. But it’s what we have to try to do to win.
Our OL didn't seem to be 100% given the number of mental mistakes (false starts, bad snap) and it showed in the running game

How many of those games were in November for Iowa?

Let's remember, Iowa has won 16 of last 17 in November.

Kirk Ferentz's DNA at Iowa for the most part. Year 34 overall, 25th as head coach.

I like that. “I think we can beat Ohio St in November, They would probably kick our ass in September” Haha, for you Rutgers fans there was an IA/OSU game back in 2017 where the Hawks dismantled the Buckeyes in a night game at Kinnick. Scarlet Knights will do rhe same

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT