ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football Tight Ends coach Nunzio Campanile won't return in 2023

Agree about Hoffman and Nunz but if my memory serves me correctly (and it's been failing me more and more) the vast majority of this board was absolutely gaga over Gleeson and even more so after his first year.

And that's the problem sometimes with our board. Same people thinking Jason Garrett was a possibility for OC, got enamored with the prospect of a Princeton/OKState Offensive whiz here on the banks.

Instead, an objective analysis of Gleeson would have seen he was NOT ready for the opportunity.

No D1 experience whatsoever except 1 year as OK State's offensive coordinator. But here's the thing, Mike Gundy runs that offense. He's an offensive guy. Gleeson was in an apprentice role and the offense wasn't even that great.

Gleeson hadn't developed a SINGLE NFL player. Who on earth gives a B1G offensive coordinator position to a guy who hasn't developed anyone. No proof in his resume of functional lines or great QB play, except in the Ivy league...

I've never been a fan of Gleeson, but after the hire was made, had to roll with it.

Thankfully, Kirk is exactly what we need right now. Past is prologue. Time to see what an OC who has actually coached D1 offenses can do

And that's the problem sometimes with our board. Same people thinking Jason Garrett was a possibility for OC, got enamored with the prospect of a Princeton/OKState Offensive whiz here on the banks.

Instead, an objective analysis of Gleeson would have seen he was NOT ready for the opportunity.

No D1 experience whatsoever except 1 year as OK State's offensive coordinator. But here's the thing, Mike Gundy runs that offense. He's an offensive guy. Gleeson was in an apprentice role and the offense wasn't even that great.

Gleeson hadn't developed a SINGLE NFL player. Who on earth gives a B1G offensive coordinator position to a guy who hasn't developed anyone. No proof in his resume of functional lines or great QB play, except in the Ivy league...

I've never been a fan of Gleeson, but after the hire was made, had to roll with it.

Thankfully, Kirk is exactly what we need right now. Past is prologue. Time to see what an OC who has actually coached D1 offenses can do

And furthermore, in hindsight, we gave someone with this resume a BIG 10 offensive coordinator position????

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2007–2010Delbarton School (NJ) (assistant)
2011–2012Fairleigh Dickinson–Florham (OC/QB)
2013–2016Princeton (RB)
2017–2018Princeton (OC/QB)
2019Oklahoma State (OC/QB)

Just 1 playcalling year at Princeton and 1 apprentice year at Oklahoma St??? lol

Our forum got excited about 1 year in D1 football... in which he likely didn't even make the game plan under Mike Gundy

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yes .

Huge opportunity missed by you. If you had only posted Sean will get us pwned......

Many of those reactions were way over the top for a guy with 2 years experience as an OC in the Ivies and one under Gundy, where it was not clear that he was calling the plays.

Uhhh, I was the one who brought up Jason Garrett and it was said as a complete joke which was obvious in the thread as the context was a month after the season in the ‘are we ever gonna hire an OC’ thread.

At the same time I would be the first to admit Gleeson’s prior resume was mostly princeton with 1 OK st year, not exactly resounding.

So in fact, you are complaining about a ‘type of poster’ that doesn’t exist…

Let’s see how Kirk does. I’m cautiously optimistic as long as Greg doesn’t interfere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ash_Hole
Another guy who did nothing of substance.
Hey, don't talk about Coach Schiano that way, he is a great man and in his first stint after only 11 years he delivered us to the promised land, The Pinstripe Bowl, and who knows, in his second stint it might only take him 10 years. We can only hope!

Reactions: SHUSource
Hoffman and Nunz had a chance but did not perform, period. Didn’t seem like recruiting on offense was going anywhere and the two OC stints showed little. The Offense was so putrid he had to make changes.

Well - there was almost complete turnover on the D side and that turned out ok. Hopefully O follows suit.

This is an interesting take - by focusing on the north jersey parochials we brought in people that did not have regional or national connections. This house cleaning should hopefully bringing guys who have reach.
I would like to see more California and Texas recruitment of QBs that make quick decisions on passing reads in high school (see west coast offense skills, even if we don't run one).
Captain Kirk - are you listening?

Last edited:
Schiano trying to figure out who’s to blame for our inept offense:
2oq95i.jpg

Agree about Hoffman and Nunz but if my memory serves me correctly (and it's been failing me more and more) the vast majority of this board was absolutely gaga over Gleeson and even more so after his first year.
Absolutely. I know I was guilty of not looking deeply enough. Just heard OK State OC and thought BINGO! Did not think he may be another Ash-type... had the position but was not responsible for its success.

As for recruiting nationally... hell yeah. You never know what top recruits might respond well to a Big Ten offer so close to NYC and the beaches here. This is why the US Navy recruits in the midwest.

And again it could be the ship captain tossing crew overboard before the mutinying reached his cabin.
Now he's definitely on the Clock IMHO.
Either that or it’s the captain throwing crew members overboard to reduce the weight of the sinking ship.

I mean, we DO have an entire thread on Schiano’s weight gain…

• Haha
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Nothing but positivity and well wishes for Nunzio. Had hoped his north NJ recruiting and offense would work out and he would be OC. He did what he could and was a loyal RU coach.

Appears clear the deal with kirk was that he could have input or perhaps his choice in a new group of O coaches, and that is probably for the best so he can have his best shot to succeed with all on the same page. Plus have to beleive there is hope or expectation that new OL or tE coach will bring some players they had relationships with, with them. That is my expectation at this point. Probably all for the best as the NJ hs coach lightning in a bottle with recruits was worh a shot but didnt play out.

Reactions: Ash_Hole

I can only speak for myself but I was extremely on board with both HC Ash and OC Gleeson after their initial descriptions of the offense they wanted to run.

HC Ash: https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...l-offense-look-like-under-chris-ash/76951520/

"If we play a defense that is big and physical up front, maybe we don't match up with a two-back pro-style look, and we can get get in the gun and spread them out and do some different things," Ash said.

"At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. I know a lot of fans are concerned about that. In this day and age, you have to be able to score points. We're going to put an offense that can score points."

OC Gleeson: https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/get-ready-for-a-new-fast-no-huddle-offense-for-rutgers-football

“We want to be fast. That sounds like a coach platitude but to me it's a little deeper than that. We want to be a fast no huddle offense. If you can envision the best press basketball team that you guys have ever watched, that's kind of how we want to do our business. So, we'll be operating primarily out of shotgun, but you'll see an aggressiveness and the way that our guys line up and address the next snap that should be different. It should be something like wow, these guys are going at a pretty good clip. We want to snap the ball around every 15 seconds. It's kind of our timestamp for no huddle football. So the no huddle operation is the first layer of fast.”

In order to make the offense work efficiently, Gleeson and the entire Rutgers staff will need fast, well-conditioned players who can make opposing defenses work.

“We literally want fast people,” he said. “So you guys have covered a ton of sports. Our playing surface is enormous. We have 110 yards of vertical space at most and we have 53-and-a-third yards of width. Basketball, they have fast people, but they don't have that much space, so if we can get some guys that move from point A to point B we will be in great shape.”

However, it all turned out to be just words.
I've said before - HC Ash should have been fired the moment he proposed hiring OC Kill. The definition of throwing the baby out with the bath water. HC Ash (and the fanbase) got scared and resorted back to "northeast meathead, run heavy, control the clock, 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense". Get rid of Mehringer but don't get rid of the offense.

Don't know if it was OC Gleeson or allegedly HC Schiano but regardless - the offense wasn't what the fanbase was sold and clearly it wasn't working.

Nothing but positivity and well wishes for Nunzio. Had hoped his north NJ recruiting and offense would work out and he would be OC. He did what he could and was a loyal RU coach.

Appears clear the deal with kirk was that he could have input or perhaps his choice in a new group of O coaches, and that is probably for the best so he can have his best shot to succeed with all on the same page. Plus have to beleive there is hope or expectation that new OL or tE coach will bring some players they had relationships with, with them. That is my expectation at this point. Probably all for the best as the NJ hs coach lightning in a bottle with recruits was worh a shot but didnt play out.
Did he get us any recruits? Seems like a great guy but no recruits.

Uhhh, I was the one who brought up Jason Garrett and it was said as a complete joke which was obvious in the thread as the context was a month after the season in the ‘are we ever gonna hire an OC’ thread.

At the same time I would be the first to admit Gleeson’s prior resume was mostly princeton with 1 OK st year, not exactly resounding.

So in fact, you are complaining about a ‘type of poster’ that doesn’t exist…

Let’s see how Kirk does. I’m cautiously optimistic as long as Greg doesn’t interfere.
I hope non-interference from the HC is in the contract he signed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT