ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football Tight Ends coach Nunzio Campanile won't return in 2023

As the Pirates owner told multiple HR champion Ralph Kiner ….we finished last with you ,we sure can finish last without you.

Augie and Nunzio. Can’t be any worse on O without them
And again it could be the ship captain tossing crew overboard before the mutinying reached his cabin.
Now he's definitely on the Clock IMHO.

As the Pirates owner told multiple HR champion Ralph Kiner ….we finished last with you ,we sure can finish last without you.

You have to wonder why there were problems on the offensive side of the ball. When the 2 high school coaches were the most experienced coaches on the offensive staff

Long day at work. Do you have to wonder? Or is this a rhetorical non-question/thought?
Rhetorical. But also don’t understand how it was allowed to happen from an organizational perspective.

I remember saying when the staff was put together. That it lacked college coaching experience.

2 Princeton guys with less than 5 years (OL and OC)
Patriot league 1 year (WR)
2 high school coaches (TE/RB)
Can’t look at that from a managerial role and say “nailed it”.

Reactions: RUScrew85
You have to wonder why there were problems on the offensive side of the ball. When the 2 high school coaches were the most experienced coaches on the offensive staff
Well Art Briles was about 4 years removed from HS before he took the Houston HC spot and took off. Joey McGuire the TT HC right now is about 5 years removed from HS. Malzahn went straight from HS to being an OC. I think influences in coaching matter and on top of that some just have it and some don’t.

Reactions: RU from Jersey
So be it. If it was to create a north jersey parochial pipeline, it never happened. See ya. Thanks for everything you did

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Good luck coach, thanks for your efforts for RU.

Here's hoping we end up with either a better recruiter and/or better TE play when the dust settles. Clearly the TE position was not a strength this year.

Reactions: LETSGORU91

Very short sighted view by the Pirates owner. Obviously Ralph wasn’t the reason they finished last No team can have 100 percent turn over. Gotta retain the good pieces and go from there

But but.....I have the market cornered on rhetorical "not real question" thoughts!

Everyone better stop!
the-godfather-its-not-personal.gif

Well Art Briles was about 4 years removed from HS before he took the Houston HC spot and took off. Joey McGuire the TT HC right now is about 5 years removed from HS. Malzahn went straight from HS to being an OC. I think influences in coaching matter and on top of that some just have it and some don’t.
There are outliers to everything. But very difficult to jump up a level without having someone more senior to assist with the transition. This isn’t a knock on Nunz or Augie. They got thrown into a sink or swim environment. Adding those two to a seasoned staff and allow them to cultivate their “recruiting” relationships would have been ideal. But they were brought in and were immediately the elder statesmen.

Took a no win proposition in '19 and did the best that he could. Seems to me the effort was there but not the results. Best of luck to him.

100%
2 times wrong place at the wrong time.
Definitely feel for him. Hopefully he lands on his feet somewhere.

When a program has a bad season , one that looks like a step back:
if the HC doesn't go changes still will be mage to trey to make improvements.
That means assistants' heads will roll and fan favorites won't be exempt.

Winning seasons means some assistants are poached by other programs.
Bad seasons means the unemployment line for some.
New hires at a Coordinator position can make some assistants feel left out and decide to move on after seeing someone else get the position they felt they should have been offered..

All in all changes will be made ( win or lose) and that's the way the ball bounces/cookie crumples

Hope Nunzio finds a good home, but with a season destroyed because of a poor offense
the assistants on that side of ball lose job security , even if they are loyal and did everything asked of them.

Last edited:
You know what? There should be nothing but love for Coach Nunz. He twice stepped into impossible jobs ("battlefield promotions") and he did them to the best of his ability with a smile on his face. That is what it means to be a true "RUTGERS MAN."

Much as I learned first hand in a long career at a few Fortune 50 companies, sometimes you manage your career and sometimes it manages you. When it manages you, the outcome isn't always on your terms and sometimes it isn't pretty, but you move on with your head held high and walk into the next phase of your career.

Thanks coach and best of luck on your next chapter.

And again it could be the ship captain tossing crew overboard before the mutinying reached his cabin.
Now he's definitely on the Clock IMHO.

Well - there was almost complete turnover on the D side and that turned out ok. Hopefully O follows suit.

The north NJ parachol recruiting never materialized with these guys. That was their big edge and hope. Didn’t happen. That’s okay. Time to recruit nationally and get guys with power 5 experience in these position coach spots

This is an interesting take - by focusing on the north jersey parochials we brought in people that did not have regional or national connections. This house cleaning should hopefully bringing guys who have reach.

Like you say some have it and some don’t . Nunzio and augie are not briles and malzahn obviously .

Reactions: Jimpeg
Had high hopes for Nunz as I thought he had an innovative offensive mind and was very creative in high school. Nothing wrong with hiring high school guys as most I programs do it unfortunately it didn't work out this time. Also you have to wonder if part of the deal is allowing the new OC to clean house if he wants to.

A complete overhaul of the offense is what we need right now

Fresh starts, new blood

This had to be done

Let's hope that this time around all of the assistants actually have some college football coaching experience, in which they had some degree of success

Gleeson, Hoffman and Nunz were all reaches from Day One. And the results spoke for themselves. Nevertheless, good luck to them wherever they go from here

Reactions: Jimpeg
Well, there goes the pipelines to Nunz's brothers' schools...Bergen Catholic and DePaul.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT