ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football versus Howard moved to Thursday, other kickoffs announced

We have the biggest bunch of whiner fans. There's no good day or time that would work for all LDW. Be happy we can get to the game and get it over with before the weekend starts.

I'll be there. Wouldn't miss it. Going to be a special season.
why ever have games on saturday by that logic

Always love evening games early in the season when it's hot, so good with Howard; never liked 12/3:30 pm games early in the season, so meh on Akron. Unlikely to have any other hot games given the next one is UW at night on 9/27 and it's rarely hot after that.
The 2016 game vs Howard at noon on Sept 10 was brutally hot.

Completely agree a night game is better.

To add insult to injury, Howard was up 14-7 into the second quarter. That was a harbinger of the remainder of the Ash error.

Last edited:
While we are at it, that 2016 game was not the worst game Rutgers had against Howard. Rutgers is 5-0 against Howad.

IN 2014, the final score was 38-25 Rutgers. Completely forgot about that game in an otherwise successful inaugural season in the B1G for Rutgers.
Howard went up 7-0 early in the first quarter and led most of the first quarter.
Rutgers led 31-7 at the half, but Howard scored two TDs in the 4th quarter while Rutgers went without scoring in the 4th quarter.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Bringing that game up counts as fan abuse...
See below. I forgot about the 2014 game vs. Howard. I wonder if the game thread exists for those games. . . . . 😀

Oh boy, is this thread a doozy- first #FireAsh is post #30 in the thread!!!:

And congrats to @Mr Magoo for this prescient post- "New Mexico will lay 30 on us next week-- Rutgers lost 37-28. But Rutgers "almost" beat Iowa the following week!

Last edited:
Thats overblown reasoning

More people actually work on Thursdays then head to beaches on weekend
Many people finish their work by 5 p.m.
Many people can flex their schedule to go in early and leave by 4 p.m. to make the game for kickoff. Or just roll in a little late. It's Howard. The game will be a snoozer.

Some people will whine and cry about start times no matter when they are. As noted, Rutgers does not have control over the start times with the TV slots governing the start times.

It’s not Rutgers’ fault that this game has a strange start time. It will be Rutgers’ fault, however, if they don’t do anything to try to boost what will surely be horrible attendance for this game. Give tickets away to youth groups and dramatically cut prices for everyone else. If not, enjoy seeing those 25,000 empty seats.

Many people finish their work by 5 p.m.
Many people can flex their schedule to go in early and leave by 4 p.m. to make the game for kickoff. Or just roll in a little late. It's Howard. The game will be a snoozer.

Some people will whine and cry about start times no matter when they are. As noted, Rutgers does not have control over the start times with the TV slots governing the start times.

8pm on Thursday and people would complain it’s too late on a work night for such a crappy opponent.

Any other day or time that weekend “but the shore!!! Rutgers should never play LDW!”

See the thread I just posted above about how Sunday at noon was the previous “worst time slot ever” last season.

Reactions: Knight Shift
8pm on Thursday and people would complain it’s too late on a work night for such a crappy opponent.

Any other day or time that weekend “but the shore!!! Rutgers should never play LDW!”

See the thread I just posted above about how Sunday at noon was the previous “worst time slot ever” last season.
mid day on Labor Day weekend would be brutal- likely extremely hot like the 2016 near disASHter when RU was down 14-7 to Howard early. And attendance would likely be very light.

I don't see what all the fuss is about
To me, this is awesome
Ideally, it'd be a 7pm or 7:30pm start time, but tv dictates these things

Frees up the whole weekend to grill, go to shore, watch college FB, etc.
Night game early in the year when it's hot during the day
Ample time to tailgate
No traffic on the way home

Noon last year on a Sunday of LDW was awful
That was worth complaining for IMO

I hope we lock down this day and timeslot for the next 100 years
It's literally nearly perfect

I don't see what all the fuss is about
To me, this is awesome
Ideally, it'd be a 7pm or 7:30pm start time, but tv dictates these things

Frees up the whole weekend to grill, go to shore, watch college FB, etc.
Night game early in the year when it's hot during the day
Ample time to tailgate
No traffic on the way home

Noon last year on a Sunday of LDW was awful
That was worth complaining for IMO

I hope we lock down this day and timeslot for the next 100 years
It's literally nearly perfect
No.

The Friday night (at 8pm) one is the one you want to lockdown, especially if they are asking for volunteers. And they were asking just a few years ago.

On Oct. 26 following Game 1 of the World Series, Rutgers and USC will kick off at the Memorial Coliseum at 11 p.m. Eastern.

The Big Ten justifies the unusual kickoff time in multiple ways. Rutgers plays at home against UCLA the previous week, while USC travels to Maryland. The Scarlet Knights have a bye the following week, which means the long flight afterward will impact the players less health-wise and competitively. The late kickoff provides a few extra hours of recovery for USC players after their cross-country flight.
How nice of them.

No.

The Friday night (at 8pm) one is the one you want to lockdown, especially if they are asking for volunteers. And they were asking just a few years ago.
Disagree
Friday = Traffic nightmare heading DTS

Thursday ideal
Whole weekend now open

Take 1/2 day work, leave around 130 for a nice 4 hour tailgate

Lots take off or WFH on Friday, giving them an extended 4 day mini vacation

Oh, puke on both game times.
Come on Spanky! Overall, this is a good time. Doesn’t mess up the weekend, evening games early in the year are better temperature wise, and we’ll get home at a reasonable time. Just get to the blue lot on time to stop by our tailgate and visit a group of fans that are glass half full people; as long as the glass is not half full with scotch.

Last edited:
New Jerseyans think only their state does anything Labor Day weekend
School starts earlier in many parts of the country (South and West).
Starting school after Labor Day is a big thing in NJ and the Northeast. So it is indeed a bigger holiday, especially for those that enjoy the beach. And for many people who have second homes, it is the unofficial end of summer, and for locals the official beginning of locals summer. It is quite unique to NJ and the beach areas of NJ because of the influx of the Taylor Ham crowd and New Yorkers.
That's why Hobbs is a genius for starting the Boardwalk on Scarlet Knight Way. 😀

It’s not the cost that matters, it’s the value that you get out of the item. The battery life of MacBooks is far superior ranging from 16 to 21 hours, depending on the model.

Macs integrate nicely with iPhones, simplifying file sharing, especially pictures, and video, when shared over iCloud.
The Mac editing software is far superior to that of the pc. I can share my screen with my 65” Samsung TV using AirPlay.

Lastly, if you have an issue with your MacBook, you can take it to the Genius Bar, where they will help you resolve it. This alone is worth the Apple premium for many.

The last PC laptop I had was sheer trash. Never again.

PCs have a place, in the office. When it comes to home use, I prefer the MacBook.

No.

Disagree
Friday = Traffic nightmare heading DTS

Thursday ideal
Whole weekend now open

Take 1/2 day work, leave around 130 for a nice 4 hour tailgate

Lots take off or WFH on Friday, giving them an extended 4 day mini vacation
Agree! Either evening is great when you're retired... and I would've been fine with either when I was working too.

Agree! Either evening is great when you're retired... and I would've been fine with either when I was working too.
Admittedly, I understand that it can be a hassle for some people to takeoff work, but in my humble opinion, if you have ample PTO, it comes down to priorities

Just get to the blue lot on time to stop buy our tailgate and visit a group of fans that are glass half full people; as long as the glass is not half full with scotch.

Yeah, we all know that your glass is half full of fireball!

Reactions: RU in IM
Thats overblown reasoning

More people actually work on Thursdays then head to beaches on weekend
Most people work on Thursdays BUT some here hint hint are very underemployed. You will be fine pal the internet works fine outside and inside the station.

Admittedly, I understand that it can be a hassle for some people to takeoff work, but in my humble opinion, if you have ample PTO, it comes down to priorities
When I was working, I had complete freedom to work whatever 60-70 hours a week I wanted to. That's only a slight joke - I worked my ass off, but because of that nobody would ever think of giving me grief if I took off at 2 pm on a random Thursday for a football game. I get that it's harder for people committed to a set schedule, but even most of those folks can make arrangements with a few months of notice.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Looks like you quoted a few of us here in that previous post? 🤷‍♂️

When I was working, I had complete freedom to work whatever 60-70 hours a week I wanted to. That's only a slight joke - I worked my ass off, but because of that nobody would ever think of giving me grief if I took off at 2 pm on a random Thursday for a football game. I get that it's harder for people committed to a set schedule, but even most of those folks can make arrangements with a few months of notice.
I agree my man, as this most things in life, it comes down to priorities more times than not

It’s Christmas morning when college football schedules come out in the smooth household, and I make every effort to attend as many games as possible, regardless of work, using pto, etc. trying to maneuver when I can

Admittedly, being in sales, I’m afforded a little more freedom than most in regard to traveling and hitting away games as well, but at times, it certainly can be tricky

Reactions: RU848789
Well the RU-Al quote was obviously an oops, so just you and smooth, basically saying either of your choices was fine with me.
The one benefit for us is now we don’t have to wear our Rutgers sombrero to the game.🙂

Glass half full and all that. 👍

Reactions: RU848789
It's nice that you either have no co-workers, or have co-workers that don't want to extend their extended holiday weekends either. There are businesses out there that require ample coverage to operate, regardless of the date or how much PTO an individual has accrued.

Reactions: bac2therac
It's nice that you either have no co-workers, or have co-workers that don't want to extend their extended holiday weekends either. There are businesses out there that require ample coverage to operate, regardless of the date or how much PTO an individual has accrued.
If one is so inclined to plan ahead, or potentially ask for a favor (e.g. I’m a big Rutgers fan and they’re playing this night, can you take my shift and in return, I’ll take yours another day), chances are, this far in advance, they’d be able to make it happen

Or, use a sick day
Get a doctors note
Maybe leave early with a headache

Point is, I’d imagine for the majority of the posters on here, if they want to go, they’ll be able to go

If this was Louisville 06, I don’t think we’d be hearing the same type of complaining bc, wait for it… peoples priorities were to be at the game, no matter what

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
If one is so inclined to plan ahead, or potentially ask for a favor (e.g. I’m a big Rutgers fan and they’re playing this night, can you take my shift and in return, I’ll take yours another day), chances are, this far in advance, they’d be able to make it happen

Or, use a sick day
Get a doctors note
Maybe leave early with a headache

Point is, I’d imagine for the majority of the posters on here, if they want to go, they’ll be able to go

If this was Louisville 06, I don’t think we’d be hearing the same type of complaining bc, wait for it… peoples priorities were to be at the game, no matter what
But it’s not even close to that.

Come on, man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT