ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Greed: Not letting water bottles in

Groz

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
I am not a big water person, but watching all of the people(many) not being able to bring in their water bottle when they go into the stadium, just reinforces how greedy and stupid Rutgers is. I know I am rehashing what has been written since they instituted the rule, but whoever at RU put that in, should be ashamed of themselves. Making people buy the bottles of water is just greed.

I sold paper products for a living and we also sold truckloads of water. I was able to sell a 36 pack of 16.9 oz. water to my customers for $1.69 total(36 bottles!!!!)

Claiming it is a security issue and a homeland issue is a bullshit excuse.

Sorry for the rant. People can bring food into Yankee Stadium, but nothing can be brought into SHI(T) Stadium.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Not only the water bottle issue....but yesterday they decided to be bad-ass with wallets and eyeglass case sizes. My wife's wallet, which she had no problem bringing in last week or for the past 2 years (in her regulation size clear bag) was deemed to be a half inch too long yesterday. The options she was given was to either walk back to the car and leave it there, or get on line force locker and pay $12.

My wife has a medical condition anfmd has her medical papers in that wallet. When she explained that to the supervisor who eventually came over, the person told her she would have to provide details of her condition and then she (the supervisor) would judge whether it was a valid medical condition or not.

When we asked why the wallet was all of a sudden an issue when it hadn't been in the past, the answer was "the rules are different this week". And the supervisor and the others were downright nasty.

We saw others with similar issues with wallets and eyeglass cases.

How about exercising some common sense and saying "your wallet is too big, we will let it in today but next game leave it in the car". They are driving their fan base away with this nonsense (and I am a 36 year season ticket holder)

So....everyonewho went to yesterdays game....hope you felt safer since my wifes 7 inch wallet wasnt there but somebody elses 6.5 inch wallet was!

Not sure of it will do any good but I will be emailing the Rutgers Athletic Dept today over this.

Not only the water bottle issue....but yesterday they decided to be bad-ass with wallets and eyeglass case sizes. My wife's wallet, which she had no problem bringing in last week or for the past 2 years (in her regulation size clear bag) was deemed to be a half inch too long yesterday. The options she was given was to either walk back to the car and leave it there, or get on line force locker and pay $12.

My wife has a medical condition anfmd has her medical papers in that wallet. When she explained that to the supervisor who eventually came over, the person told her she would have to provide details of her condition and then she (the supervisor) would judge whether it was a valid medical condition or not.

When we asked why the wallet was all of a sudden an issue when it hadn't been in the past, the answer was "the rules are different this week". And the supervisor and the others were downright nasty.

How about exercising some common sense and saying "your wallet is too big, we will let it in today but next game leave it in the car". They are driving their fan base away with this nonsense (and I am a 36 year season ticket holder)

So....everyonewho went to yesterdays game....hope you felt safer since my wifes 7 inch wallet wasnt there but somebody elses 6.5 inch wallet was!

Not sure of it will do any good but I will be emailing the Rutgers Athletic Dept today over this.

GameDay operations guy :

MattC@ScarletKnights.com

I've taken to wearing a zip up jacket in with pockets inside & out. Stuff all my crap (phone, keys, credit card, charger, mini fan, & the folded up clear bag) into the pockets & go thru the bagless lane. Once I pass ticket check, bag comes out, crap comes out of my pockets I to the bag, jacket comes off & off I go.

GameDay operations guy :

MattC@ScarletKnights.com

I've taken to wearing a zip up jacket in with pockets inside & out. Stuff all my crap (phone, keys, credit card, charger, mini fan, & the folded up clear bag) into the pockets & go thru the bagless lane. Once I pass ticket check, bag comes out, crap comes out of my pockets I to the bag, jacket comes off & off I go.
Thanks.....I've gone a few rounds with Matt in the past over other things, I'm sure he'll be thrilled to hear from me yet again.

Thanks.....I've gone a few rounds with Matt in the past over other things, I'm sure he'll be thrilled to hear from me yet again.

He was instantly receptive to the email I sent at 7:05 yesterday AM letting him know that there were at least 20 cars in the front row of the blue lot that were employees & not fans that are paying $141/game to park there. He sent a mass email/text out to everyone letting them know it was not to happen...and it was stopped.

How is a wallet a security risk? Are purses allowed?

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
How is a wallet a security risk? Are purses allowed?

Very specific sizes & the gate security has cards cut to that size. If it's bigger they turn you away.

For our own sake, we better familiarize ourselves with the stadium rules so that there are no surprises on game day.

I was talking with a Zips fan on a concession line. He said his experience getting into the stadium was his worst ever, because no where does it discuss bag line vs non bag line & that the bag line took them an hour to get thru.

The crazy thing about the bag line is that there was always a bag line, next to the non bag line at the same gate. It seemed to me it went pretty quickly.

Given that the past 2 games were vs very minor opponents & the lines were an hour long, I cannot imagine what it's going to look like when we get to Washington & beyond.

Last edited:
The very same wallet has been let in every game (football, mens bball and women's bball) for the past 2 seasons including last week. But for some reason yesterday it was too big.

Going forward she will bring a smaller wallet to avoid the issue. But would it have been such a terrible thing to just say "go ahead ma'am but next week leave it at home"? Especially considering they knew she had a medical issue?

Apparently size does matter (at least in purse and wallet size!)
I don't agree with the policy, but under the clear bag policy there is the following, but it raises a question when does a wallet become a clutch? Next time, someone can bring a lawyer with them to litigate the issue and slow the line down. Oh wait a minute. . . .

image_handler.aspx
A clutch and a wallet serve the same purpose. They both carry your necessities, such as your cash, cards, and coins. The biggest difference is that clutches like Trayvax Roam Clutch can carry more items, including your phone, keys, and lipstick.

And I learned something- there is an item called a "clutch wallet."

You could provide the item description of your wallet, and it is listed as a wallet, you can tell them wallets are permitted, but good luck with that. You could also tell them that a wallet could be shoved up their arse, and clutch would not, unless the person you are talking with is a giant arsehole.

What a bunch of clowns running the clown show.

Have a semblance of an idea what is driving this, but I will hold my thoughts because the thread will go in a different direction.

GameDay operations guy :

MattC@ScarletKnights.com

Don’t give them any ideas or they’re going to be checking jackets next game since “rules are different this week.”

***** EDITED SO THAT I WONT GET SUED BY RUTGERS FOR POSTING WRONG INFO BECAUSE I LEFT OUT THE FIRST PART OF MY LITTLE JOKIE JOKE.

Last edited:
They’re going to be checking jackets next game since “rules are different this week.”

Fortunately everything in my jacket is legal It's just in my jacket and not in my bag.

As long as they don't check down the back of my pants I'm good

Some of these security decisions are ridiculous but people need to adapt to make the experience more positive. We all know the bag lines suck. Do what Mrs Screw does or leave the bag in your car or at home.

I am not a big water person, but watching all of the people(many) not being able to bring in their water bottle when they go into the stadium, just reinforces how greedy and stupid Rutgers is. I know I am rehashing what has been written since they instituted the rule, but whoever at RU put that in, should be ashamed of themselves. Making people buy the bottles of water is just greed.

I sold paper products for a living and we also sold truckloads of water. I was able to sell a 36 pack of 16.9 oz. water to my customers for $1.69 total(36 bottles!!!!)

Claiming it is a security issue and a homeland issue is a bullshit excuse.

Sorry for the rant. People can bring food into Yankee Stadium, but nothing can be brought into SHI(T) Stadium.

Best of Luck,
Groz
Went through this for many years, particularly, right after I had kidney cancer and a surgery to remove a tumor. First time, I told the gate attendant that I had to consume large quantities of water due to my kidney surgery. He said that I needed to provide proof. I raised my shirt and showed him the 10" scar across my abdomen, and he waved me through. After that, I hid the water.

Fortunately everything in my jacket is legal It's just in my jacket and not in my bag.

As long as they don't check down the back of my pants I'm good
I used to wear a belt and tuck 2-4 water bottles at my waist band behind my back.
When we started with the Provident Club, they used to provide free bottled water. They cut that off 2 years ago, which sucks. Went to the bar in the club and asked for a bottled water, and they charged $5 or 6. You would think that they could afford to provide bottled water to people paying for club tickets.

No doubt there is a terrorist somewhere reading these threads for a chuckle, and a lead on a new way to avoid detection entering a crowded venue. What a world we live in.

May be the other way around. At the RAC last year I had a undercover cop actually feel my coat as I walked in after scanning my ticket and he opened the coat and took my hidden water bottle. Halloween is approaching so beware of candy takers at the gate.

Had the best stadium entrance experience yesterday. The mobile locker line was also very short. Did walk by the bag line and it was a disaster. Same PSA as last week. Don’t bring bags.

Some of these security decisions are ridiculous but people need to adapt to make the experience more positive. We all know the bag lines suck. Do what Mrs Screw does or leave the bag in your car or at home.
We will bring a different smaller wallet next week. Would it have been so terrible to let it in this week and tell.her to leave it home next game? Especially since the guard acknowledged that the rules were different this week?

Reactions: Unionst
GameDay operations guy :

MattC@ScarletKnights.com

Oh great, now the bad guys know.

I would say the reason for the "no outside food or drink" policy is because they want us to buy their overpriced goods in the stadium. It's all about the $$$
Did some checking with a Ga Tech fan who has a kid at Auburn. Auburn has the same clutch/wallet/purse policy (wallet being facetious) 6.5" limit--I doubt they are strict with it. Note their list includes a "wallet". Rutgers' policy does not.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2F1YnVybi1wcm9kLzIwMjQvMDcvMzAvdFNFTGw2S01QUjM4U1hrd09TN0JadmNycTRNemtNU3JRRmFUU2E4Uy5qcGc.jpg

Georgia Tech policies similar to Rutgers.

Reactions: redking
At what point will everyone here just figure out you need to just bring your phone and ID in with you. Leave everything else at home in your car and pay on your phone.

At what point will everyone here just figure out you need to just bring your phone and ID in with you. Leave everything else at home in your car and pay on your phone.
Or the possibility of them telling people LEAVE YOUR COATS/JACKETS HOME. BUY ONE OF OUR OFFICIAL $150 ADIDAS COATS IF YOU WANT TO GET WARM WHEN ITS 39 AND CLOUDY.

Or… BUY THE OFFICIAL $50 JBL EAR PLUGS IF YOU DONT WANT TO GET TINNITUS FROM OUR PA VOLUME BEING JACKED UP TO 24/10.

It’s not that easy for everyone. My tailgate had close to 30 people yesterday. (The most in many years.) I announced as we were packing up that everyone should leaves bags, etc in the cars. Sometimes young woman need to bring hygiene products with them. I had two 25 year old females in my tailgate and they went to the bag line. One was told that her bag was a half inch too big and she had to buy a locker. Does RU provide free tampons in the woman’s bathroom?

It’s not that easy for everyone. My tailgate had close to 30 people yesterday. (The most in many years.) I announced as we were packing up that everyone should leaves bags, etc in the cars. Sometimes young woman need to bring hygiene products with them. I had two 25 year old females in my tailgate and they went to the bag line. One was told that her bag was a half inch too big and she had to buy a locker. Does RU provide free tampons in the woman’s bathroom?
Is the bag size requirement too small to fit tampons? For some reason, I actually think RU will accommodate this.

1. They do not

2. I told multiple women yesterday and I have told multiple women over the years, shove the bag down the back/front of your pants or down the back of your husband's pants & go in the stadium. I always wear some kind of a jacket to cover up whatever I'm hiding in the back of me.

Maybe by the time the Minnesota game rolls around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT