ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Greed: Not letting water bottles in

A theory: when the crowd is sparse there are more hard surfaces for sound to bounce off. When the crowd is packed a lot more sound is absorbed.
I predict many people will say the sound levels were better / lower at the coming Washington game, even if the volume knob is set to the same level.

Reactions: Knight Shift
A theory: when the crowd is sparse there are more hard surfaces for sound to bounce off. When the crowd is packed a lot more sound is absorbed.
I predict many people will say the sound levels were better / lower at the coming Washington game, even if the volume knob is set to the same level.
Agree.

Thirteen pro teams are competing in the area for fan attention. What actions has Rutgers taken to bring in sports fans or drive them away?

I've already made my points in posts in this thread regarding the adverse actions Rutgers has taken and not debating there is significant sports entertainment competition nor that Rutgers needs to be better.

But you are still ignoring the point - which continues to be that you stated "you would never invite children /parents because it's unbearable." .......while things can get better - please explain how they are unbearable?

I've already made my points in posts in this thread regarding the adverse actions Rutgers has taken and not debating there is significant sports entertainment competition nor that Rutgers needs to be better.

But you are still ignoring the point - which continues to be that you stated "you would never invite children /parents because it's unbearable." .......while things can get better - please explain how they are unbearable?
Your words are twisted. What is your question? I am happy to answer straight and promptly.

Reactions: STFU Nuts
Your words are twisted. What is your question? I am happy to answer straight and promptly.

Not sure how they are twisted - I was pretty clear - even to the point using your words.
  • Why would you not invite children and parents to Rutgers football games?
  • Why do you find Rutgers football games unbearable?

Not sure how they are twisted - I was pretty clear - even to the point using your words.
  • Why would you not invite children and parents to Rutgers football games?
  • Why do you find Rutgers football games unbearable?
Thanks for response. Quicker, easier, more fun to go to games at MetLife, Red Bull Arena, Madison Square Garden, and Yankee Stadium.

I gave up bringing family members to Rutgers football and basketball. “We don’t want to do Rutgers themed stuff” is what I am told when I plan something.

Most family lives in Boston area where games even in city are easier to go to than in Piscataway. More expensive to park in Piscataway than Boston. Rutgers bosses, and nobody can figure out who is in charge, decide that.

Leave it to 66 to always carry the "water" of an incompetent operations administraton.
Leave it to you to be the constant agent of negativity about RU. I guarantee that if some ass caused an " incident " in the stadium as I discussed , you'd be screaming they didn't do enough to prevent it. I know you're a cheapskate but now I know cheap bottles of water rule your world.

Thanks for response. Quicker, easier, more fun to go to games at MetLife, Red Bull Arena, Madison Square Garden, and Yankee Stadium.

I gave up bringing family members to Rutgers football and basketball. “We don’t want to do Rutgers themed stuff” is what I am told when I plan something.

Most family lives in Boston area where games even in city are easier to go to than in Piscataway. More expensive to park in Piscataway than Boston. Rutgers bosses, and nobody can figure out who is in charge, decide that.

OK, makes sense. Your issues sound more specific to your situation and location. I wouldn't expect it would be easy to get family from Boston area to Piscataway and on top of that they don't seem as interested in Rutgers (theme).

Not sure where you specifically live but for those in NJ - I can't imagine how it would be quicker to get to an event in NYC (Yankee Stadium, MSG).

You mentioned Metlife.....here's a comparison for me in Football in the area.....I had Giants season Tix for over 25 years. Tailgates with over 40 people....but gave them up after my friend who had seats with mine passed. Lots of traffic/congested area, expensive season tix >$200 per game, seat license for thousands each, $40 per game parking pass, 30 minute lines to get thru security and pretty lousy play on the field for the past 15 years, 60 minutes + to get out of lots after games, 60 minute
+ drive to get to Stadium (without traffic), constant road construction on Rt 46 and Rt 3, drunk fans from opposing teams starting fights, ugly stadium design, expensive concessions.........the grass is not always greener.

Reactions: Leonard23
Leave it to you to be the constant agent of negativity about RU. I guarantee that if some ass caused an " incident " in the stadium as I discussed , you'd be screaming they didn't do enough to prevent it. I know you're a cheapskate but now I know cheap bottles of water rule your world.
What kind of "incident" would occur based on an unopened bottle of water or a 7 inch wallet instead of a 6.5 inch one? Or, for that matter a sandwich or an apple being allowed in?

Another good question.
Really... the worst things they seem to be trying to control rarely, if ever, happened before they started this nonsense. And the worst possible things wouldn't be much worse if they happened inside rather than at the gates outside or even at the tailgates.

Same thing for so many non-Rutgers places and activities affected by the "heightened security measures"... but that's outside the scope of this forum.

What kind of "incident" would occur based on an unopened bottle of water or a 7 inch wallet instead of a 6.5 inch one? Or, for that matter a sandwich or an apple being allowed in?
Read why TSA bans water bottles from outside their checkpoints and you'll have your answer.

Last edited:
OK, makes sense. Your issues sound more specific to your situation and location. I wouldn't expect it would be easy to get family from Boston area to Piscataway and on top of that they don't seem as interested in Rutgers (theme).

Not sure where you specifically live but for those in NJ - I can't imagine how it would be quicker to get to an event in NYC (Yankee Stadium, MSG).

You mentioned Metlife.....here's a comparison for me in Football in the area.....I had Giants season Tix for over 25 years. Tailgates with over 40 people....but gave them up after my friend who had seats with mine passed. Lots of traffic/congested area, expensive season tix >$200 per game, seat license for thousands each, $40 per game parking pass, 30 minute lines to get thru security and pretty lousy play on the field for the past 15 years, 60 minutes + to get out of lots after games, 60 minute
+ drive to get to Stadium (without traffic), constant road construction on Rt 46 and Rt 3, drunk fans from opposing teams starting fights, ugly stadium design, expensive concessions.........the grass is not always greener.
When I go to MetLife I take bus from Port Authority Bus Terminal. Cost is $18 roundtrip and bus ride takes 15 to 30 minutes. I usually attend one or two Jets or Giants games per year and buy tix cheap on ticket reseller like StubHub.

I lived in Hudson County for years and would take Uber to MetLife. To get home, take NJTransit to Secaucus then Uber or cab. When kids are with you, NJTransit people put you in straight in front of line for next train.

Best was US-Mexico soccer game. 95% Mexico fans. Wild tailgate parties. I made $$$ that day selling beer to Mexicans because MetLife beer sellers would not accept their Mexico IDs.

Last edited:
Reactions: STFU Nuts

Water could be drained via small pinhole in bottom and then lighter fluid injected in and the hole super glued. Wetting a half dozen people in winter coats and setting them alight could be ugly. Then they get sued for "poor security." I'm sure stadiums like being able to sell all their own things but I can see need to be careful of liquids

Water could be drained via small pinhole in bottom and then lighter fluid injected in and the hole super glued. Wetting a half dozen people in winter coats and setting them alight could be ugly. Then they get sued for "poor security." I'm sure stadiums like being able to sell all their own things but I can see need to be careful of liquids
Couldn't that happen to a water bottle bought inside the stadium too?

Reactions: Local Shill
Read why TSA bans water bottles from outside their checkpoints and you'll have your answer.
I have. Why is RU the only local stadium who bans it? And why is the 7 inch wallet prohibited while the 6.5 inch one is not? And why is a sandwich and apple prohibited (they are not prohibited at TSA checkpoints)?

If they knew and understood the clear bag policy to the point of having a clear bag, then why bring the clutch?

Note - I routinely fold up a cinch bag and put it inside the clear bag. This is against the rules. But if I get caught, so be it. That's on me.

Is it a dumb policy? Sure. But not going to cause a scene because they are enforcing a policy that I clearly knew a out in advance.

If you don't like the policy and can't possibly be away from your chapstick that can only be inside a wallet then don't attend?
You must be single if you don't know why a woman needs a clutch and a clear bag!
A woman's clutch like a mans wallet.
I'm all for safety but at some point it crosses the line to ridiculous.

Reactions: Jimpeg
I don't know - how to get lighter fluid inside a stadium?

The lighter fluid thing was tried in the past:

"At one point during their surveillance, investigators witnessed Ali drilling a hole in a soft drink bottle so it could be filled with an explosive liquid while still appearing to be unopened. If their plan had gone through, Hersem said the result could have been an attack on seven planes flying out of London and heading for North America using, among other things, a hydrogen peroxide-based-liquid explosive. (Ali and several of his associates were convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment in 2009.)"

Army also bans outside water and the stadium water fountains are antique garbage

Last edited:

IMO the real reason for no food or water is likely revenue rerelated. Other stadiums in the area allow it. Maybe the Rutgers hospitality vendor also have some type of stadium exclusivity that stipulates no outside food/water allowed to be brought in.

Reactions: dfr1966
Geez there's been TSA protocols about water bottles for years and some can't understand why? Maybe one day the rules will change but complaining when RU chooses to follow similiar is pure BS from people who just want to bitch. Don't fly or go to a football game if you're too cheap to buy a bottle of water when you pass security.

Geez there's been TSA protocols about water bottles for years and some can't understand why? Maybe one day the rules will change but complaining when RU chooses to follow similiar is pure BS from people who just want to bitch. Don't fly or go to a football game if you're too cheap to buy a bottle of water when you pass security.
Rules in other stadiums allow water bottles, champ. And Rutgers followed another stupid rule to the bitter end, being one of the last schools to drop the vax mandate. The schools has some real idiots making the rules.

Rules in other stadiums allow water bottles, champ. And Rutgers followed another stupid rule to the bitter end, being one of the last schools to drop the vax mandate. The schools has some real idiots making the rules.
Like I said guys like you would blast RU if something happened. I m not offended or put out by a water bottle policy that you may think is too conservative or that someone at RU recommends. We've suffered through all this stuff since 911. What other places do is not relevant but is just their measure what is safe practice. But sure as shyt if they are wrong it's more catastrophic than having to buy a water bottle. And I may be a champ but your dumb ass calling me one deserves my response--- you're an asshole.

Last edited:
Like I said guys like you would blast RU if something happened. I m not offended or put out by a water bottle policy that you may think is too conservative or that someone at RU recommends. We've suffered through all this stuff since 911. What other places do is not relevant but is just their measure what is safe practice. But sure as shyt if they are wrong it's more catastrophic than having to buy a water bottle. And I may be a champ but your dumb ass calling me one deserves my response--- you're an asshole.
Meant chump. Took the bait. Congratulations.

GameDay operations guy :

MattC@ScarletKnights.com

I've taken to wearing a zip up jacket in with pockets inside & out. Stuff all my crap (phone, keys, credit card, charger, mini fan, & the folded up clear bag) into the pockets & go thru the bagless lane. Once I pass ticket check, bag comes out, crap comes out of my pockets I to the bag, jacket comes off & off I go.
Same - simple and easy solution. No need to rant OP. This policy is across many stadiums I have been to across the country. As for water bottle, I often bring an empty one in and fill at a fountain in the stadium.

I’d respect it more if what you suggest is the real reason.

I think many would.

I would as well. However not so sure how everyone would react. Just guessing that fans would still complain and point to the incompetence of the AD in allowing the hospitality vendor to make the rules.

My solution to this is filtered water filling stations like at other venues, offices etc. They are popping up everywhere these days. Would also be cold water, unlike the water fountains.

Reactions: Fat Koko
I would as well. However not so sure how everyone would react. Just guessing that fans would still complain and point to the incompetence of the AD in allowing the hospitality vendor to make the rules.

My solution to this is filtered water filling stations like at other venues, offices etc. They are popping up everywhere these days. Would also be cold water, unlike the water fountains.
Well it’s only something myself and @MrsScrew have been asking for quite some time now.

Thats in an airplane that a bottle of gas could bring down the plane. Why does every pro team allow water bottles and food from outside into their stadiums? Just went to see the Mets vs the Phils at Citizen Bank Park. Brought every thing in no problem at all.

Thats in an airplane that a bottle of gas could bring down the plane. Why does every pro team allow water bottles and food from outside into their stadiums? Just went to see the Mets vs the Phils at Citizen Bank Park. Brought every thing in no problem at all.
According to the Rutgers sports department, "Due to Homeland Security guidelines, no outside food and beverage will be permitted into the stadium."

The problem with this policy is the Homeland Security guidelines do not exist. They are made up, a lie invented by the Rutgers people to harass the people who pay them.

Yankee Stadium invites ticket buyers inside with bags and water bottles and provides water fountains so ticket payers can get more water.

At Rutgers athletics, their starting point of engagement is a lie. Then move from that point.

Some people need Chapstick. But pro tip, you can slip it in your sock or tuck it in your waist band or whatever.
Some people don't know or read the policies before coming to the stadium. We could say that is on them, but also, reasonable people would not expect to get hassled for having a 7 inch long wallet. A 36 year season ticket holder is probably near 60 years old. What threat is a wallet that is 1/2" too long going to pose to the stadium, especially when the patron told the gate attendant her medical papers were contained in the wallet. That person who denied entry had to be the biggest loser on a power trip in the history of big losers. Reasonable accommodations can be made with discretion, like when I showed them my 10 inch scar to "prove" I had a kidney issue requiring more water.
or you can use Papillon's technique in the Devils Island prison

According to the Rutgers sports department, "Due to Homeland Security guidelines, no outside food and beverage will be permitted into the stadium."

The problem with this policy is the Homeland Security guidelines do not exist. They are made up, a lie invented by the Rutgers people to harass the people who pay them.

Yankee Stadium invites ticket buyers inside with bags and water bottles and provides water fountains so ticket payers can get more water.

At Rutgers athletics, their starting point of engagement is a lie. Then move from that point.
This is the only post need in a 7-page thread. But we all know by know the state officials have no problem distoting the truth to justify their bull-shite.

Reactions: Groz and MrsScrew
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT