ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Greed: Not letting water bottles in

"And the supervisor and the others were downright nasty"
See...that's the problem I have with these type of situations. Who exactly do they think they are ?
And it won't cost Rutgers much money to fix THAT problem.
I can't count how many times I have had to be peacemaker when one of the guys in my group is getting an attitude from some of those clowns as we try to enter the facility after having a few alcoholic beverages during a great time tailgating.
How much does it cost Rutgers to not have people working there that act like they have a stick up their behind ?

Have you seen the price of tickets, parking and required seat gifts?
Season ticket holder with yellow lot parking. As mentioned in another thread before. You can attend the game for cheap. You just can’t sit where you want or park where you want for cheap.

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Can you provide context? What was your request that he couldn’t help with.
Spoke with him regarding the need to frisk my 85 year old father on entry into the south gate. His response was to not enter through the student gates. His suggestion would require my father to walk around the stadium up the hill and enter through the west gate. Rather than to educate the “student” security guards to concentrate their efforts on a demographic that are more apt to smuggle contraband into the stadium.

1. They do not

2. I told multiple women yesterday and I have told multiple women over the years, shove the bag down the back/front of your pants or down the back of your husband's pants & go in the stadium. I always wear some kind of a jacket to cover up whatever I'm hiding in the back of me.
but should it really need to come down to that? RU needs to make it easier to attend an event.

It’s really a useless policy. Maybe invest in metal detectors first? Much more of a security risk than a 7” bag.

Rutgers entire game day experience between the cops and “security guards” are a bunch of hardos.

Simple solution:
1) walking boot. For one season I let a little air out and shoved 4 375ml bottles of vodka in it. Provided great support and continued the party for our crew.
2) cargo shorts. While I will argue these are indeed fashionable, they can store more than my wife’s largest bag.

If I was forced to put a bag in a locker, I would turn around and go home and watch the game on TV, and never come back again. I suspect that is what is happening. It is hard enough to get students and young people to attend games, most of the time they are bribed with something to get them to go in hopes that they have such a good time they get hooked.

Tell us how you really feel 😀. Can you share your experience?
Ass seat cushion caper of I believe it was 2019. It was the biggest scam ever. People purchased seat cushions from inside the stadium then told at gate C and D they couldn't bring them in. Garbage cans became mountains of seat cushions as I watched old people walking back to their cars.

I normally don't complain about this stuff but I snapped on this one, as they just kept adding things you couldn't bring in. You know how the little things just keep adding up. The cost didn't matter but I wasn't going to let this one go until I talked to Mr. Dick. I was basically told in a condescending manner too bad you're sh*t out of luck stop bothering me.

Last edited:
Not A boomer or a Fox watcher, but in what reality do boomers that watch Fox want more people treading on their freedoms and privacies? Awful read.
I think the reason for such tight security is because of recent shootings a high school football games. I agree that nobody should be allowed to bring a gun into the stadium, but a bottle of water? What harm is there in a bottle of water.

Not A boomer or a Fox watcher, but in what reality do boomers that watch Fox want more people treading on their freedoms and privacies? Awful read.
Idiotic take, when this is becoming more common in the nice suburbs. Sprung from prison for armed robbery, and what does he do when he gets out? He will get more chances. Looks like a family member with the same name has been arrested multiple times for cocaine distribution.

Maybe if they are allowed to get to the same place it will stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Idiotic take, when this is becoming more common in the nice suburbs. Spring from prison for armed robbery, and what does he do when he gets out? He will get more chances. Looks like a family member with the same name has been arrested multiple times for cocaine distribution.

Maybe if they are allowed to get to the same place it will stop.

Me idiotic take or the person I responded too?

I know the officer personally involved in this shooting. He is a good guy and very well respected officer. Need to put these guys away for a long time. They are mostly well organized crews with multiple offenses.

I think the reason for such tight security is because of recent shootings a high school football games. I agree that nobody should be allowed to bring a gun into the stadium, but a bottle of water? What harm is there in a bottle of water.
I think you need to respond to the guy a responded too. I have no problem with bringing in water bottles. I also don’t feel the need to bring a suitcase into the game. It all comes down to educating the crowd properly and the security guards staffing the event.

I had the privilege of being one of the first people inside MSG after 9/11 and had to endure entering a secure zone in downtown Manhattan staffed by National Guard for months. There is a need for security but common sense also needs to exercised.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Me idiotic take or the person I responded too?

I know the officer personally involved in this shooting. He is a good guy and very well respected officer. Need to put these guys away for a long time. They are mostly well organized crews with multiple offenses.
To the person you responded to. Just freaking tone deaf. They want to turn a blind eye to this. But anyway(s), one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. Sorry if I was not clear. Don't you love the framing in the title of the article too: "Man shot by cop. . . . . " Oh heavens, start the riots. As I understand the situation (I lived in Rumson), he tried to run down the officer.

Good advice for me in this thread. Flying back for the Washington game, only my second time back in decades. Bring earplugs, cargo shorts, mini- bourbons, etc. Thanks all!
Have a good time. It's still fun if you don't let the petty crap eat you alive. But the complaints are reasonable. A freaking 7" wallet. . . . . .

Reactions: Leonard23
Is the bag size requirement too small to fit tampons? For some reason, I actually think RU will accommodate this.
Don't worry, there will be plenty available for the Minnesota game. . . .

The question was kind of answered by me above. Apparently, a "clutch" can carry lipstick, a cellphone, and I would imagine tampons. Rutgers' policy says "clutch" less than 4.5" X 6.5". Other stadium policies include wallets limited to this size. A wallet is not sized to carry lipstick, a cellphone, tampons, etc. The fan said his wife keeps her medical papers in her larger wallet. The idiots at the gate could have let her slide by taking a close look at her wallet.

To the person you responded to. Just freaking tone deaf. They want to turn a blind eye to this. But anyway(s), one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. Sorry if I was not clear. Don't you love the framing in the title of the article too: "Man shot by cop. . . . . " Oh heavens, start the riots. As I understand the situation (I lived in Rumson), he tried to run down the officer.
That is absolutely the truth. Justified discharge of weapon.

GameDay operations guy :

MattC@ScarletKnights.com

I've taken to wearing a zip up jacket in with pockets inside & out. Stuff all my crap (phone, keys, credit card, charger, mini fan, & the folded up clear bag) into the pockets & go thru the bagless lane. Once I pass ticket check, bag comes out, crap comes out of my pockets I to the bag, jacket comes off & off I go.
Another option, runners belt under loose tee. The problem with most women's clothing is a lack of pockets.

Most venues in the Charlotte area allow you to bring in 1 sealed bottle of water per person. They all have refilling stations.

Reactions: Local Shill
Water bottle situation is beyond annoying but I suspect it has to do with the company they use for concessions rather than Rutgers specifically.

Going forward she will bring a smaller wallet to avoid the issue. But would it have been such a terrible thing to just say "go ahead ma'am but next week leave it at home"? Especially considering they knew she had a medical issue?

I get it being annoying but how exactly would they be in a better situation next week? If someone can bring something in, it's coming back the following week so are they supposed to say "hey just don't bring it next week" again? The bigger issue is them being inconsistent but also unreasonable. If the limit is 6.5 inches and someone's bag is 7 inches, just let them the hell in. The point is to prevent giant bags from coming in, not to hold people to the closest centimeter.

I filled out the Rutgers football fan day experience survey this afternoon and put down our concerns considering the entry process into the stadium…hopefully a lot of people do also..my feeling is most filled out surveys will include the policies concerning entry into the stadium…

Reactions: MrsScrew
I filled out the Rutgers football fan day experience survey this afternoon and put down our concerns considering the entry process into the stadium…hopefully a lot of people do also..my feeling is most filled out surveys will include the policies concerning entry into the stadium…
Been voicing issues each week for years. Nothing has changed.

Doesn’t matter been filling the thing out for years with the same response. Asked to be contacted by staff and never received a call.

My daughter got turned away also for her "clutch". "Dump the contents in the clear bag and throw away your clutch" is not a reasonable answer. If the clutch fits in the clear bag you shouldn't have to hide it in your pants!

The worse thing was my 4 year old grand daughter had a balloon pony made for her at the Boardwalk, great! She had to throw it away when she got to the gate! It was put in a trash can with dozen of other balloon gifts from the Boardwalk. What are they thinking! There has to be a better answer.

My daughter got turned away also for her "clutch". "Dump the contents in the clear bag and throw away your clutch" is not a reasonable answer. If the clutch fits in the clear bag you shouldn't have to hide it in your pants!

The worse thing was my 4 year old grand daughter had a balloon pony made for her at the Boardwalk, great! She had to throw it away when she got to the gate! It was put in a trash can with dozen of other balloon gifts from the Boardwalk. What are they thinking! There has to be a better answer.

If they knew and understood the clear bag policy to the point of having a clear bag, then why bring the clutch?

Note - I routinely fold up a cinch bag and put it inside the clear bag. This is against the rules. But if I get caught, so be it. That's on me.

Is it a dumb policy? Sure. But not going to cause a scene because they are enforcing a policy that I clearly knew a out in advance.

If you don't like the policy and can't possibly be away from your chapstick that can only be inside a wallet then don't attend?

How can Rutgers be that dumb ?

Unreal. There is no bottom as far as being completely irrational and basically spitting in the face of your customers.

Not only the water bottle issue....but yesterday they decided to be bad-ass with wallets and eyeglass case sizes. My wife's wallet, which she had no problem bringing in last week or for the past 2 years (in her regulation size clear bag) was deemed to be a half inch too long yesterday. The options she was given was to either walk back to the car and leave it there, or get on line force locker and pay $12.

My wife has a medical condition anfmd has her medical papers in that wallet. When she explained that to the supervisor who eventually came over, the person told her she would have to provide details of her condition and then she (the supervisor) would judge whether it was a valid medical condition or not.

When we asked why the wallet was all of a sudden an issue when it hadn't been in the past, the answer was "the rules are different this week". And the supervisor and the others were downright nasty.

We saw others with similar issues with wallets and eyeglass cases.

How about exercising some common sense and saying "your wallet is too big, we will let it in today but next game leave it in the car". They are driving their fan base away with this nonsense (and I am a 36 year season ticket holder)

So....everyonewho went to yesterdays game....hope you felt safer since my wifes 7 inch wallet wasnt there but somebody elses 6.5 inch wallet was!

Not sure of it will do any good but I will be emailing the Rutgers Athletic Dept today over this.
What a bunch of power hungry A-holes that work stadium operations. They most likely don’t have a real job and wearing stadium security shirt makes them feel powerful. Idiots!!

If they knew and understood the clear bag policy to the point of having a clear bag, then why bring the clutch?

Note - I routinely fold up a cinch bag and put it inside the clear bag. This is against the rules. But if I get caught, so be it. That's on me.

Is it a dumb policy? Sure. But not going to cause a scene because they are enforcing a policy that I clearly knew a out in advance.

If you don't like the policy and can't possibly be away from your chapstick that can only be inside a wallet then don't attend?
Some people need Chapstick. But pro tip, you can slip it in your sock or tuck it in your waist band or whatever.
Some people don't know or read the policies before coming to the stadium. We could say that is on them, but also, reasonable people would not expect to get hassled for having a 7 inch long wallet. A 36 year season ticket holder is probably near 60 years old. What threat is a wallet that is 1/2" too long going to pose to the stadium, especially when the patron told the gate attendant her medical papers were contained in the wallet. That person who denied entry had to be the biggest loser on a power trip in the history of big losers. Reasonable accommodations can be made with discretion, like when I showed them my 10 inch scar to "prove" I had a kidney issue requiring more water.

How can anyone in a position of power who cares at all read this thread and not be completely embarrassed by what’s happening?
The more I think about it, Rutgers would be best served to find an outside candidate for the new AD. Someone who has never worked at Rutgers, and had worked at other top programs. I have just the candidate. The one who got screwed over by the Julie Herman "We did it!" committee. Solid resume. Many years at Wisconsin. And he is at the school that just took down #5 Notre Dame. Rutgers hires him, and we will be beating ranked teams! 😜

Years of experience at multiple levels, significant experience at Wisconsin, played football at Alabama, has led NIU for the last 11 years.

In his 11th year at the helm of the Northern Illinois University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, Sean T. Frazier has guided the Huskies to historic milestones competitively, academically and socially, cemented his status as both a national and community leader on diversity and inclusion and led successful fundraising efforts that have transformed the student-athlete experience at NIU.

n his 11th year at the helm of the Northern Illinois University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, Sean T. Frazier has guided the Huskies to historic milestones competitively, academically and socially, cemented his status as both a national and community leader on diversity and inclusion and led successful fundraising efforts that have transformed the student-athlete experience at NIU.

Prior to NIU, Frazier spent six years in senior leadership roles at the University of Wisconsin and was promoted to deputy director of athletics in 2011, Frazier's duties grew to include managing all day-to-day internal and external operations for Badger Athletics and serving as UW's Deputy AD and Chief of Staff to Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez.

Frazier oversaw all fundraising and advancement activities at UW, including the annual fund, major gifts, suites and club seats, endowments, multimedia rights, ticket operations and alumni affairs. During his tenure at Wisconsin, he served as the administrator for three revenue-producing sports (football, men's basketball and men's ice hockey), providing direct support to the football program that won three consecutive Big Ten Conference Championships. Along with three Rose Bowl appearances. Frazier also served as Chair of the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Committee in 2011.

Frazier played a lead role in raising $123 million for multiple capital projects at UW, including a $31 million hockey/swim facility, an $86 million student-athlete performance center and a $3.5 million softball indoor practice facility.

A Long Island, N.Y. native, he played four years of college football at the University of Alabama from 1987-91 and was a member of the 1989 SEC Championship team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT