ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rutgers has landed a commitment from Iowa State transfer Jeremiah Williams:

Nice. Do we have a rough estimate as to when the waiver decision would be made public?

oh boy dunk GIF

Feel like there is 0 shot his waiver is approved. Chicago kid, 2-time transfer. Probably trying to keep some older veteran type guys in the locker room for next year.

The next guy up, 7 year NCAA player, Austin Williams should be immediately eligible as he is a grad.

Reactions: PaKnight
Feel like there is 0 shot his waiver is approved. Chicago kid, 2-time transfer. Probably trying to keep some older veteran type guys in the locker room for next year.

The next guy up, 7 year NCAA player, Austin Williams should be immediately eligible as he is a grad.
Maybe everyone can pretend the last transfer never happened . . .

Reactions: MiloTalon13
i like this plan. Its now Auston not Austin, fresh eligiblity.

Reactions: RU82
Nice. Do we have a rough estimate as to when the waiver decision would be made public?
It may not matter as to when for this season. Rumor is he may sit it out, which makes sense given his injury. That one has a long recovery period from what I observed from others that had it (though they were not D1 athletes).

At worst, he would be an experienced player to replace Fernandes and hopefully A. Williams.

If he sits out the year, not really that experienced going into 2024.
He'd have 2 years of experience followed by 2 years sitting/rehabbing (its not like he's taking a RS and practicing with the team).

I would assume there is zero chance he starts in 2024 over Dylan, 3rd year Simpson, 2nd year Davis, 2nd year Gavin (obviously transfers could occur) and would be behind them all to start the season.

How many seasons does he left—sit out 1 to play 1?

The fact that Underwood and Illinois had him tells me he can help.

Looking the scholarship chart pinned at the top (@Richard Schnyderite already has it updated!!), we are now full for 2024 (assuming Dylan Harper).

Will be interesting how next off season plays out.

@Russ Wood didnt you cite a bunch of reasons kids used to get their 2nd transfer approved a few months ago.

I remember you saying something silly like “I didn’t like the weather” did they squash that right before RU needed to take advantage of that or is it still going on?

Why can’t we work that angle here?

If he sits out the year, not really that experienced going into 2024.
He'd have 2 years of experience followed by 2 years sitting/rehabbing (its not like he's taking a RS and practicing with the team).

I would assume there is zero chance he starts in 2024 over Dylan, 3rd year Simpson, 2nd year Davis, 2nd year Gavin (obviously transfers could occur) and would be behind them all to start the season.
Yeah but always good to have depth with NIL as we see

Reactions: NickRU714
@Russ Wood didnt you cite a bunch of reasons kids used to get their 2nd transfer approved a few months ago.

I remember you saying something silly like “I didn’t like the weather” did they squash that right before RU needed to take advantage of that or is it still going on?

Why can’t we work that angle here?
Not a bunch, I think it was 3 maybe 4 examples. The weather was one of the examples. I would think that it's still going on. However, it is my understanding that a player must enroll at a new school before he can apply for an immediate eligibility waiver.

I wish
How many seasons does he left—sit out 1 to play 1?

The fact that Underwood and Illinois had him tells me he can help.
I don’t think Underwood wanted to drop him. It was the AD who pushed for it. Underwood actually coached his dad early in his career.

All he has to claim is one school (Temple/Iowa State) screwed up his rehab. Make sure you name everyone in the lawsuit. The NCAA wants no part of that action.

Reactions: Jsb1981
Not a bunch, I think it was 3 maybe 4 examples. The weather was one of the examples. I would think that it's still going on. However, it is my understanding that a player must enroll at a new school before he can apply for an immediate eligibility waiver.
Gotcha, but you’re saying there is a fair chance we could get one?

Aside from my point above, I would be very excited to see him play for us as a Scarlet Knight. And hope he finishes his college career with us.

Welcome Jeremiah!

Apologies for the negativity, I’m a bit jaded after one of the guys who was 💯 a pike guy and bought in and a 4 year guy (and captain) just did this.

That’s the point I raised before, if he graduates in 24, then there is a good chance we get the “grad transfer special” treatment next summer.
This will be his 4th year in school (2 at Temple, 1 Iowa State, 1 here). So definitely possible. Would like to think us giving him a home for a year means something (unlike Illinois who ultimately said 'yeah nevermind')

That’s the point I raised before, if he graduates in 24, then there is a good chance we get the “grad transfer special” treatment next summer.
Would be kinda crazy . He comes here and does nothing but rehab , becomes a rutgers man and gets a rutgers degree . Then moves on to play somewhere else . At least cam played a year to be a lifelong proud son of rutgers

This will be his 4th year in school (2 at Temple, 1 Iowa State, 1 here). So definitely possible. Would like to think us giving him a home for a year means something (unlike Illinois who ultimately said 'yeah nevermind')
I agree, I would think we would have a leg up in trying to re-recruit him next year.
But ultimately gotta believe that’s a tie breaker in the open market.

Would be kinda crazy . He comes here and does nothing but rehab , becomes a rutgers man and gets a rutgers degree . Then moves on to play somewhere else . At least cam played a year to be a lifelong proud son of rutgers

He’s a practice body with more talent that the scout squad who isn’t going to “resent” that role if the NCAA makes the call. That’s how we have to look at it. We’re not filling the 3 remaining spots anyway. Not every transfer will have Agee’s attitude about limited PT. Pike might feel this is better.

So in other words a wasted scholarship

No. A “wasted” scholarship is one going to a walk on. Nice thing to do, but from a BB perspective doing that has no value. Williams will add more value on the scout team than a walk on (even if he’s still rehabbing). Don’t discount that as it’s a bigger deal than most give credit for.

He’s a practice body with more talent that the scout squad who isn’t going to “resent” that role if the NCAA makes the call. That’s how we have to look at it. We’re not filling the 3 remaining spots anyway. Not every transfer will have Agee’s attitude about limited PT. Pike might feel this is better.
It’s a good move . Just saying it would be crazy if a guy just came here, doesn’t even play, and then bails after becoming a loyal rutgers son in just 9 months ! It’s wild times in college/semipro sports. He would be a rutgers alum!

Stashed away for next season when he’ll be an important piece…

There's literally no downside here.

A) If he somehow gets the waiver and can play at some point this season, he'll definitely contribute and would play 2 years or portions of 2 years here.

B) If he needs more time to rehab, then RU has no need to go to the portal next year and fight for a recruit. Jeremiah will be here in the system for a full year and will hit the ground running with Dylan, Ace, Simpson and others. Austin Williams and Fernandes will be out, Jeremiah steps right into the lineup next year.

C) He's a Midwest kid, who is familiar with Phily and the Jersey regions. He's not going to have to adjust to the culture of the NJ area.

D) I don't see this being worse than giving a walk-om a scholarship. Williams as an immediate impact player next year, with a full year in the system OR a nice gesture for a walk-on??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT