ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Hoops defeats Purdue, 81-76 (Postgame Videos added)

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ

Last edited:
This was a really tough win...remember how this game game was called by the refs...it was called to give Purdue every opportunity to win on the road...when Rutgers didn’t wilt and kept fighting...the refs started calling the game more fairly with about 4 minutes left for Rutgers... the refs gave Purdue the opportunity to win this game on the road and they didn’t take advantage of it... this Scarlet Knight team has great chemistry to overcome the adversity tonight...Iowa should be interesting...McCafferty is one of the biggest whiners in college basketball...

LOL at fire alarm going off during shoot around. Can you imagine if the RAC caught on fire?

Interesting to see Paul’s answer to the last question vs the first. He was much more animated when talking about his teammates than when he was talking about his own progress as a three point shooter.

That seems like a common theme with this team. They all seem to have each other’s backs. I wonder how much of that is a testament to Pike’s coaching vs him identifying that type of player and bringing them into the system. Pike is a great coach, no doubt, but he is also great at understanding who fits in with his system and who will allow themselves to be coached.

Although it would be nice to consistently get to 50 talent, I’m not sure a bunch of “one and done” players fit in his system. Unless of course those players are top 50 talent but also possess a certain humility that allows them to be part of a real team not just as bunch of individuals playing a team game.

Reactions: Scarlet Knut
Although it would be nice to consistently get to 50 talent, I’m not sure a bunch of “one and done” players fit in his system. Unless of course those players are top 50 talent but also possess a certain humility that allows them to be part of a real team not just as bunch of individuals playing a team game.
Of course I want highly talented guys on our team, but I find it more enjoyable watching our guys grow over the years compared to one and done guys. That would feel like a bunch of mercenaries we hired to win games wearing our uniforms, rather than true Scarlet Knights. Very very few players are truly one and done anyway, so I don't think it is an issue.

I agree with your main point: our team has very little "my turn" mentality. We really are following the "share the game" mindset. Let's hope that culture carries forward once the current leaders like Geo move on. A true team of five talented players can easily beat five more talented individuals that don't play like a team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT