ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers lands 7'0 Grad Transfer for 2016

So true, yet some people were giving Eddie a 5-7 year rebuild. I guess we shall see. NIT in 3 seasons is a realistic goal.

We have 4 juniors and 4 sophs that compromise this team....

If we don't get back to the post season in 2017-2018....the cycle starts to turn and we become young and have to rebuild and reload again

We need to show an uptick this year and post season next year to show the guys who will be recruiting in the class of 2018 and class of 2019 that we have a staff that can coach and get I done...as these class of 2018 and 2019 will be the guys who comrpoimise the nucleus in Pikell's 6th year where he will have been expected to start producing....

I think we need to read between the lines a little bit here

We tried like hell to get the center from Baylor also....

but we have Diallo and Doorson both who are sophs

So...I can only speculate that there is a concern that either one or both of them just isn't 100% and we need another center there

If so...this becomes not just a solid pick...but major on August 22nd

Pretty good speculation. I have no inside knowledge, but it is often very difficult for a 7 footer like Doorson to recover from a foot fracture. At worst, the new addition is a good insurance policy.

That projects out to 10 and 10 if he played 30+ minutes. Getting that from a Center is about as good as it gets these days in College Basketball's Guard and Forward oriented game.

Even if it projects down to 6 and 8 in the B1G, that's not bad for a center these days.

To be fair, he also averaged 3.1 fouls in those 15.6 minutes, so it's unlikely he'll be in the game for 30+ minutes.

Reactions: bac2therac
I think there will be a spacing out of ships where we see a couple of JUCO's mixed in over the next couple of years along with a grad transfer as well, to try and avoid going completely green in the 3rd year of Pikiell....Right now, we have to assume all efforts are being put in on Alvarado for the last available spot for 2017 and undoubtedly, we are almost likely to see one or two departures that opens up more spots for 2017 or 2018.....not stating there is anything pending, but it's just the likelihood that someone winds up leaving after this coming season as the playing time competition is going to be in full swing........just the law of averages with the high amount of turnover we see with programs around the country as well.

I have always said if you can get 10 pts and 10 boards from the 40 minutes of whoever is in the five spot you are on the way

This is a piece

Kid looks like a great late addition and based off Carino's article, he clearly has his head on straight. So this is a total win.

Reactions: Scangg
I think there will be a spacing out of ships where we see a couple of JUCO's mixed in over the next couple of years along with a grad transfer as well, to try and avoid going completely green in the 3rd year of Pikiell....Right now, we have to assume all efforts are being put in on Alvarado for the last available spot for 2017 and undoubtedly, we are almost likely to see one or two departures that opens up more spots for 2017 or 2018.....not stating there is anything pending, but it's just the likelihood that someone winds up leaving after this coming season as the playing time competition is going to be in full swing........just the law of averages with the high amount of turnover we see with programs around the country as well.
Rutgers has some history of the turnover amounting to the best players leaving for greener pastures or leaving early. Hopefully those days are over and roster turnover benefits the program.

I like the fact we have 12 scholarship players for this year. This staff is doing a good job putting us in position to win some games this year. They are so much better than Jordan and his staff.

I don't mind the fact that Mr. Gettys was arrested a few years ago at all. We need someone that's not going take any crap. He's kept his nose clean since.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/sport...uspension-followed-off-campus-incident-arrest

Did you bother to look for a conviction or just bringing up the arrest made your point
Charges against UNCW basketball player dismissed
http://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20131122/charges-against-uncw-basketball-player-dismissed

Reactions: Local Shill
You can't teach size is a truism for sure...Rutgers will at least look like a B1G team...and I will hope play more like a BIG team this season...Coach P and staff are doing a pretty good job this late .

Gettys gives you some depth and rim protection. Hopefully the Rutgers staff can teach him how to play big without committing so many fouls. Gettys committed 7.9 personal fouls per 40 minutes played last season. Against top 50 RPI teams it was 8.2 fouls per 40 minutes played.

Conversely he doesn't draw many fouls per 40 minutes (4.1).

If he can reverse those stats, then you really have something

Right now, there are no injury concerns pertaining to last year with any player. All have been cleared for 100 percent activity for months...
i say it every year, but screw it...this team is going to surprise people. Not saying we're going to the NIT, but I 100% expect some upsets and at least competitive games. This team has some talent and now depth and height.

I have always said if you can get 10 pts and 10 boards from the 40 minutes of whoever is in the five spot you are on the way

This is a piece

10 and 10?That pretty much beats out any big ten center piece. Might be a bit lofty. Getty seems hungry to be a part of a growing team though. It is hard to put numbers on a kid,though. I could see 6 and 7 or so.

Right now, there are no injury concerns pertaining to last year with any player. All have been cleared for 100 percent activity for months...

Bigger concern for me is injury slowing the players development. Not saying it has in the case of either big man, and you would know better, but it factors in. Both had some pretty serious work to do to improve their games.

Either way having size again is a major advantage over last year, especially on the defensive end.

10 and 10?That pretty much beats out any big ten center piece. Might be a bit lofty. Getty seems hungry to be a part of a growing team though. It is hard to put numbers on a kid,though. I could see 6 and 7 or so.

I read that as 10 and 10 from the center position overall, not from one individual.

Reactions: PaKnight
I read that as 10 and 10 from the center position overall, not from one individual.

You know me, I am positive about the program. I think this is a decent pick up late in the game. However, I saw you mention doubling it and I think that is far off.

Hopefully I am wrong. The big is a different league. I think this kid maybe gets 7 and 5 or so. He is a winner though, and he said he does not get enough credit for his shooting. Could be interesting!

Just saw the news too on the ESPN scrolling bottom line! Nice that ESPN recognizes this as significant enough to show on the bottom line.

You know me, I am positive about the program. I think this is a decent pick up late in the game. However, I saw you mention doubling it and I think that is far off.

Hopefully I am wrong. The big is a different league. I think this kid maybe gets 7 and 5 or so. He is a winner though, and he said he does not get enough credit for his shooting. Could be interesting!

That was Shack made the comment about 10/10.

Personally, I think we're going to get just about as much out of Gettys as he showed last year (5.3 pts, 5.1 rbs, 1.2 blks, 3.1 PF, 15.6 min). I'd love it if his foul rate could come down a bit, but I'm expecting pretty much "what you see is what you get" at this point from him. If anything, his productivity might drop a bit with a higher level of competition.

That leaves 24-25 more minutes at the center position, though, for Doorson/Diallo/Sa to chip in another 5 pts, 5 rbs to get us to 10/10 at the five. I think that's realistic.

In 2014-15, Doorson was at 1.6 pts, 2.2 rbs, 10.3 minutes.
In 2015-16, Diallo was at 2.9 pts, 3.9 rbs, 15.6 min.

Hopefully both will see a slight uptick, but if we kept pretty close to those numbers:
Gettys, 15 min, 5 pts, 5 rbs
Diallo, 15 min, 3 pts, 4 rbs
Doorson, 10 min, 2 pts, 2 rbs

That'd be 40 min, 10 pts, 11 rbs out of the center position.

Of course, keeping all things equal, it'd also mean about 8 fouls from that position, too... which hopefully improves.

Reactions: bac2therac
I think with our new weight coach we might see Gettys do just fine. I think he will be a pleasant surprise and I think all 3 will push one another for playing time.

I'm definitely in th e camp that this year's team will surprise a lot of people. The return of Freeman and the additions of Nigel, Issa and Sa are huge

I remember watching this kid a couple of times and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts if we go very big. He certainly won't light the world on fire but he's probably the best we have down low.

I agree, his fouling needs to decrease but it's nice to get an extra 5 fouls per game down low.

Now this is a good late summer addition. Experienced big who will only be here for a year while the staff tries to land B1G level 4 year players.

That projects out to 10 and 10 if he played 30+ minutes. Getting that from a Center is about as good as it gets these days in College Basketball's Guard and Forward oriented game.

Even if it projects down to 6 and 8 in the B1G, that's not bad for a center these days.

I hear you. He will definitely help. I thought you said this, but I agree with what you say about the five and five.

I'm expecting Gettys to start next year.

The question will be how quickly he picks up fouls and has to head to the bench. Of his 24 games last year, only 6 games saw him get better than 6 playing minutes per foul.

After Gettys, though, we have both Doorson and Diallo - and hopefully all can improve playing against each other in practice. At UNC-W, the next tallest person on the team for Gettys to practice against was 6-9.

I'm expecting Gettys to start next year.

The question will be how quickly he picks up fouls and has to head to the bench. Of his 24 games last year, only 6 games saw him get better than 6 playing minutes per foul.

After Gettys, though, we have both Doorson and Diallo - and hopefully all can improve playing against each other in practice. At UNC-W, the next tallest person on the team for Gettys to practice against was 6-9.

Was thinking the same way on this. If we get around 20 solid aggressive minutes from CJ and 20 between Shaq and Diallo, I think we are doing ok at the 5. Even if Sa has to play a few there too. Nice to have 4 options at the 5 that are 6'9'+

After further analysis of UNCW style of play and of course Gettys, I came to a few conclusions;

UNCW would run a lot of high pick and rolls with Getty. Getty is very smooth of the roll and the game I watched 20 minutes of, his PG missed him off the roll about fifteen times. He can be a strong asset off a pick and roll.

Defending the pick and roll, he was very adept. He knew when to step off the screen depending on who had the ball and get back to his position.

UNCW ran a very high paced style of basketball with a fast break and press in their night in night out arsenal. Getty was good at getting up the court, and partcipated in a couple of full court presses.

He has a smooth touch, and great hands. He also knows where his rebounds are coming from.

He will be an asset to use. Depending on what coach decides to do with Sa and Doorson, I could see Getty working himself to start some games, and come off the bench for 20 minutes in others.

Nonetheless, pretty impressed.

Onto the rest of the game. Or at least ten more minutes of it.Day off, gotta use it wisely.

Reactions: RUChoppin
If anything, Gettys minutes seemed to be limited due to conditioning. That explains his fouls.

I am confident the new staff and strength coaches can improve that.

If anything, Gettys minutes seemed to be limited due to conditioning. That explains his fouls.

I am confident the new staff and strength coaches can improve that.

I have to think some of it is mental, too. Last year he had a game with 2 fouls with just 1 minute of play time, another with 4 fouls in 7 minutes, and the Duke tournament game with 5 fouls in 13 minutes.

On the flip side, he had one game where he went 21 game minutes without a single foul.

I have to think some of it is mental, too. Last year he had a game with 2 fouls with just 1 minute of play time, another with 4 fouls in 7 minutes, and the Duke tournament game with 5 fouls in 13 minutes.

On the flip side, he had one game where he went 21 game minutes without a single foul.

It could also be a case where he has a tendency to be overly aggressive. In basketball, sometimes you have to let a guy shoot uncontested if you are out of position for whatever reason.

It would be interesting to see how many were ill advised over top or reaching fouls.

Reactions: RUChoppin

Definitely. I wonder if he can press for starters minutes. It depends what Pikiell wants to do with SaGetty will get 15-25 minutes a game if he says healthy.

Just came back from vacation

This is HUGE. I mean HUGE HUGE.

The most important stat about this hasn't been said yet... 5 foul fouls at the center position...

Now we can be super aggressive down low, take some chances....worst case scenario is that center A gets into foul trouble and we can go to center B...and still be aggressive thanks to center C. The ability to bang in the paint without worry of not having enough bodies is a huge huge plus.....

Reactions: RUMountie
Just came back from vacation

This is HUGE. I mean HUGE HUGE.

The most important stat about this hasn't been said yet... 5 foul fouls at the center position...

Now we can be super aggressive down low, take some chances....worst case scenario is that center A gets into foul trouble and we can go to center B...and still be aggressive thanks to center C. The ability to bang in the paint without worry of not having enough bodies is a huge huge plus.....

Being aggresive in the paint and leading to fouls is not that big of a positive. I am unsure what you mean. On offense, sure, but defense, negative. You have to be patient and play safe. Foul trouble and a opponent that shoots 70% and up leads us to another loss.

I would have rather a guard, but I do like Gettys. I just do not understand the idea of foul trouble to more foul trouble. It ends up in losing. Could you explain?

I am excited by the move,too. I would have liked a guard but I think Batie can play a couple minutes and defend.

Being aggresive in the paint and leading to fouls is not that big of a positive. I am unsure what you mean. On offense, sure, but defense, negative. You have to be patient and play safe. Foul trouble and a opponent that shoots 70% and up leads us to another loss.

I would have rather a guard, but I do like Gettys. I just do not understand the idea of foul trouble to more foul trouble. It ends up in losing. Could you explain?

I am excited by the move,too. I would have liked a guard but I think Batie can play a couple minutes and defend.
Higgins, I know you watched just as many games as I have the last 5-10 years...I don't mean just fouling people on purpsoe...but too many times we play a passive defense in the paint, showing no aggression, at times almost letting people go by because we have to keep that guy on the floor. I'm not saying we automatically foul someone, I am saying we don't have to play the ole defense anymore. And the worst case scenario is the guy fouls. Which now means nothing because we have another guy to step right in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT