ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rutgers lands Merrimack transfer G Jordan Derkack

Not saying his decision making was good, but he was an advanced offense player in terms of coming off screens, using both hands around the rim, jump stopping and passing with pick and roll on the wing.

He knew what he was doing on offense.

Now on defense.....I swear he was never taught ball-you-man triangle. I was stunned how someone who has played basketball as long as he did looked like he never was taught how to play help defense.

My point was he appeared to me "well coached" on offense, but totally and shockingly "uncoached" on D.
This is part of what makes his transfer, and especially the influence by his family for him to do it, so annoying. He came in lacking coaching and experience that his family should've known to get him prior to college if they're serious about basketball as a career. This lack is especially egregious on defense. He comes to Rutgers, with one of the best defensive coaches in the country. He gets on the court while being a net negative despite atrocious defense. And instead of sticking it out as he for whatever reason said he would no matter what (a completely unpromoted quote he didn't need to make) he transfers to play for Fred Hoiberg who, looking at his career stats (https://barttorvik.com/coach-history.php?coach=Fred Hoiberg) is much more an offensive minded coach (though Nebraska did have a good defense last season).

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Anyway it's the wrong thread lol.

Well you’re a troll who doesn’t know ball
Not expecting a guy who can't shoot the ball to start shooting the ball well doesn't make me a troll. He has a certain skillset and we need to find a way to use it. Kiss had a certain skillset and pike failed to use it. Then he moved on and was great again.

Not expecting a guy who can't shoot the ball to start shooting the ball well doesn't make me a troll. He has a certain skillset and we need to find a way to use it. Kiss had a certain skillset and pike failed to use it. Then he moved on and was great again.

I don’t know if this is fair.

Kiss excelled at a much lower level . Was it Bryant? It’s entirely possible that his game translated well at the low major level but just didn’t cut it at the high major level. To automatically assume it was some failure of pike to “use kiss’ skillset” frankly is laughable.

Honestly it’s the same reason why it’s REASONABLE to question whether the Merrimack kid will succeed at the higher level. I’m not saying he won’t but it’s reasonable to wonder whether he will.

Anyone who has played basketball competitively can understand how soneones game may not translate once the level of competition/ talent is raised. Something you can do with ease at one level (eg, drive to the basket at will) gets drastically reduced or taken away entirely when the athletes on the other side are much better. How is that possibly the coaches fault?!?!

Last edited:
I just thought he wasn't good enough at the time to play. Doesnt mean he wont be good enough in the future.

As far as development, i thought practice is where most of tfe development comes and not 150 minutes of game action.
There is no replacement for game play.

….There is literally no downside to Derkack at RU.....he makes plays folks, all the tape shows are plays being made. We will get his turnovers under control and even if we do that, we have a legitimate player in the rotation.
I hope you’re right.. Maybe it’s just me, but nobody else seems to be even slightly concerned that he’s only a month removed from being diagnosed with a fractured foot and several torn ligaments. Depending on the specific details of the foot facture, the percentage of players who aren’t able to return to their previous level of play can vary. Will he still have the same speed, mobility, and explosiveness? Will he have any recurrent pain?

In his final 2 games, when he tried to play through the pain, he shot a combined 3-20. Hopefully he won’t have any future problems with the foot and he’ll be back to 100% by the time the season starts.

• Wow
Reactions: Scangg
You are undeniably a classic hairy troll. I rank you as the #2 Troll on this board behind only Shelby with a 5 Star Troll Ranking.

I hope you’re right.. Maybe it’s just me, but nobody else seems to be even slightly concerned that he’s only a month removed from being diagnosed with a fractured foot and several torn ligaments. Depending on the specific details of the foot facture, the percentage of players who aren’t able to return to their previous level of play can vary. Will he still have the same speed, mobility, and explosiveness? Will he have any recurrent pain?

In his final 2 games, when he tried to play through the pain, he shot a combined 3-20. Hopefully he won’t have any future problems with the foot and he’ll be back to 100% by the time the season starts.
As a contingency plan, I think recruiting Jadon Jones would provide a buffer, in case Derkack has to miss some summer workouts. Plus we have JMike Davis. I'm ultimately 100% sold on Derkack, he simply does too many things well to not play a lot of minutes in different spots. I was very impressed with what I saw and heard about when it came to JWill......and his landing at RU opens up our program to Midwest AAU and HS programs. Derkack checks a lot of boxes like JWill does and am comfortable knowing that a full off season at RU, will improve their shooting percentages across the board.

As a contingency plan, I think recruiting Jadon Jones would provide a buffer, in case Derkack has to miss some summer workouts. Plus we have JMike Davis. I'm ultimately 100% sold on Derkack, he simply does too many things well to not play a lot of minutes in different spots. I was very impressed with what I saw and heard about when it came to JWill......and his landing at RU opens up our program to Midwest AAU and HS programs. Derkack checks a lot of boxes like JWill does and am comfortable knowing that a full off season at RU, will improve their shooting percentages across the board.

JWill doesn’t open us to Midwest AAU.
Having success in the B1G, Coach Smoke and apparel company NIL $$ do.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
You are undeniably a classic hairy troll. I rank you as the #2 Troll on this board behind only Shelby with a 5 Star Troll Ranking.
I couldn't care less. Our coach has exactly one tournament win and you are all ready to line up to fellate him. He better win this year with these five stars. If we are left with pike with knight and smoke moving on and nothing to show for it this year then we are shit out of luck.

I couldn't care less. Our coach has exactly one tournament win and you are all ready to line up to fellate him. He better win this year with these five stars. If we are left with pike with knight and smoke moving on and nothing to show for it this year then we are shit out of luck.
Thank you for demonstrating classic Troll behavior. I said something, and then you responded with a diatribe that had exactly zero to do with me, it was just the axe you were grinding today projected onto me. Thank you for your cooperation.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I don’t know if this is fair.

Kiss excelled at a much lower level . Was it Bryant? It’s entirely possible that his game translated well at the low major level but just didn’t cut it at the high major level. To automatically assume it was some failure of pike to “use kiss’ skillset” frankly is laughable.

Honestly it’s the same reason why it’s REASONABLE to question whether the Merrimack kid will succeed at the higher level. I’m not saying he won’t but it’s reasonable to wonder whether he will.

Anyone who has played basketball competitively can understand how soneones game may not translate once the level of competition/ talent is raised. Something you can do with ease at one level (eg, drive to the basket at will) gets drastically reduced or taken away entirely when the athletes on the other side are much better. How is that possibly the coaches fault?!?!
Possibly the most chariatable response possible lol. Imagine thinking that Peter Kiss putting up big numbers on 34.7% usage at Bryant was because Bryant was a better coached team.

Oh damn fractured foot and several torn ligaments? That sounds pretty bad. Surprised that wasn't talked about more. It didn't sound like that was stopping other high majors from going after him though so hopefully the prognosis is good

It will be interesting to watch how quickly the fab freshmen adjust to Big Ten teams in their face.
If my theory/thinking is right just practicing with all these new players will help. To your point it isnt quite the same as in a game for many reasons.

I do think Ace and Dylan are going to see teammates go at them hard as there are minutes to earn.

If my theory/thinking is right just practicing with all these new players will help. To your point it isnt quite the same as in a game for many reasons.

I do think Ace and Dylan are going to see teammates go at them hard as there are minutes to earn.
Good point. practices will probably be intense. Definitely looking forward to spectate on how it plays out.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

This is the first I’m hearing of this injury. Where did you hear this?

If I worked for a sports book and I had to put a number for that trio I'd put the over/under at 31% for the limited information i have.

Obviously everyone's different.......there are a few offsets here....
1. added % from removing "volume shots" and having a greater % of shots open looks
2. lower % from playing harder on D in the 15-40 seconds before the 3 attempt goes up
3. added % from playing less minutes
Hammer the over.

If all you look at is espn stats then sure

Usage rate, being #1 on scout report, talent around the player all kinda matter

I’ll wager my season tix Acuff and Dercack will shoot noticeable better when they are option 3-4-5 on the court shooting spot up corner 3s or being defended by the teams weakest defender
MHOLINKO, I like the sound of that. If you are wagering your season tix, I'm curious what you believe constitutes "noticeably better". 10% improvement or better?

Absolutely can score in those 4 games but after that 4 stretch and teams had some tape on him they learned to force him left.

He like Hyatt hangs his head and mopes when he is not scoring. His move is going hard right across the lane floater. Pressure him , back off him dare him to shoot or force him left.

Not one thought we were a NCAA team last year I know the boards had some hype but similarly how the NFL puts up In the Hunt for a team that’s 5-9 in week 15

J William’s goes left plenty. And finished left in those first few games. Teams learned to adjust by bringing double team help defenders at him faster which is where he became less effective with penetration. The problem wasn’t his dribbling rather it was that there was nobody to dish to who could hit an outside shot and Cliff wasn’t finishing inside either.

To sum this up - J Will scouting report IMO - he dribbles hard and fast enough to beat most D1 players either left or right in penetration one on one. Acuff can only do it right as far as I can see - he might even be better than J Will right - but in his case the left seems very limited to me.

Reread your own comments and tell me where he should play

The best case situation for Rutgers would probably be a veteran PG committed to the role of trying to set Dylan and Ace up in the offense. I don’t know if that’s J Will but I fo think we win more games with this model than with a frosh running the offense with a focus on creating iso for himself. I know Dylan is good, but he’ll still be a frosh going up against veteran seniors.

J William’s goes left plenty. And finished left in those first few games. Teams learned to adjust by bringing double team help defenders at him faster which is where he became less effective with penetration. The problem wasn’t his dribbling rather it was that there was nobody to dish to who could hit an outside shot and Cliff wasn’t finishing inside either.

To sum this up - J Will scouting report IMO - he dribbles hard and fast enough to beat most D1 players either left or right in penetration one on one. Acuff can only do it right as far as I can see - he might even be better than J Will right - but in his case the left seems very limited to me.

The best case situation for Rutgers would probably be a veteran PG committed to the role of trying to set Dylan and Ace up in the offense. I don’t know if that’s J Will but I fo think we win more games with this model than with a frosh running the offense with a focus on creating iso for himself. I know Dylan is good, but he’ll still be a frosh going up against veteran seniors.
Our best chance of going far is Dylan running the show. Please see Nike highlights in a separate thread. A shooting 2 who can guard. Ace helping handle and create at the 3. A stretch 4 who can shoot and obviously a center. Jwill is a good 6 th man running second unit

Our best chance of going far is Dylan running the show. Please see Nike highlights in a separate thread. A shooting 2 who can guard. Ace helping handle and create at the 3. A stretch 4 who can shoot and obviously a center. Jwill is a good 6 th man running second unit

Makes sense: when Dylan is out of the game, JWill runs the offense with/through Ace.

Possibly the most chariatable response possible lol. Imagine thinking that Peter Kiss putting up big numbers on 34.7% usage at Bryant was because Bryant was a better coached team.

Not to mention that his best season was 3 years removed from playing at Rutgers. Over a 3 year period, many players get better at everything. What did Kiss average his first season at RU when he actually played? 3 years later he would’ve been a double digit scorer if he chose to work on his D and make himself playable at the major conference level. Arguably - his D improved regardless with collegiate experience. In general, seniors are better defenders than they were as underclassmen.

Let’s just wait and see - ok? A Nike showcase or other all star event is not a collegiate regularly coached basketball game. Your seeing stand out iso / duo skills on display across the board. There’s a limit to how far that can take you in team basketball. Dylan was an absolute stud in high school playing mostly off ball. Would Bosco have been as successful if he ran the point? I have no idea but contend that there must have been a reason their coach chose to go the route he did. High school ball more closely resembles college ball than these feature all star events because the competition are teams that are regularly coached and opponents are scouted as a team to consider the actual schemes. That’s not a factor in all star games at all.

Not to mention that his best season was 3 years removed from playing at Rutgers. Over a 3 year period, many players get better at everything. What did Kiss average his first season at RU when he actually played? 3 years later he would’ve been a double digit scorer if he chose to work on his D and make himself playable at the major conference level. Arguably - his D improved regardless with collegiate experience. In general, seniors are better defenders than they were as underclassmen.
Kiss' first year at RU is eerily similar to Gavins, but he was better. Both played 18 min, Kiss scored 6 per, Gavin 5.8. Kiss shot 6% better from the field. 48% vs 37% from 2, 30% to 28% from 3. 50.5 Efg% to 38% is biggest difference. Even in rebounds, Kiss slightly more assists.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Kiss' first year at RU is eerily similar to Gavins, but he was better. Both played 18 min, Kiss scored 6 per, Gavin 5.8. Kiss shot 6% better from the field. 48% vs 37% from 2, 30% to 28% from 3. 50.5 Efg% to 38% is biggest difference. Even in rebounds, Kiss slightly more assists.
Interesting - Gavin was a true frosh though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT