ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers MBB: So many interesting storylines this season

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
The excitement level for the start of the season seems to be at an all time high. I think this is because there’s a lot of hype about this possibly being Pike’s best team, but I also think it’s because of all of the intriguing storylines that exist beyond just the potential wins and losses.

1. Will Geo and Harper round back into form and have the sort of “senioritis” that usually leads good teams to magical runs? They’re both over their injuries, and I think everyone is anticipating Ron shooting 40% and just becoming an all around go-to guy and future NBA player, and Geo shooting >35% and cementing his place as one of the all time leaders in Rutgers sports, like the Brian Leonard of men’s basketball.

2. Is Cliff the real deal? We’ve heard a lot about him in the off-season. He played with the Nigerian men’s national team, he packed on good muscle while still beating everybody in wind sprints, he’s shooting well from the outside now, he “dominated” Villanova, he made the most improvement of anyone, he’s the hardest working big man Pike has ever had, and so on. How much is hype, and how much is real? This is the most intriguing storyline of all.

3. Can Agee and Reiber provide a credible force in the paint behind Cliff? Pike says Agee is the most accomplished offensive threat he’s ever had at the 4/5 spot, and says Reiber is one of the team’s best athletes. A lot of our success will hinge on Cliff becoming what he’s been hyped up to be, but also Agee and Reiber giving good backup minutes.

4. How will the newcomers fare? There’s so much intrigue about whether Hyatt can become this year’s Yeboah, and whether the reported offensive game of Jaden Jones is just hype, or is it real? There’s also intrigue about whether Jalen Miller and Mawot Mag are really the lockdown defenders that we’ve heard about. Can’t wait to find out about all of this.

5. Will we miss Myles, Mathis and JY? They provided unique skill sets, with Myles being an elite rebounder, post defender, and shot blocker, and JY being a cat quick elite on-ball defender and penetrator, and Mathis being a very good defender and open court player. There’s probably nobody on the current roster that provides the same skill sets of Myles and JY to their level, but how will Pike adjust the game strategy to account for their loss? Will we become an elite rebounding team again just by everybody crashing the boards like in past years? Will we become an elite defense with superior length all across the lineup and a burgeoning shot blocker in Cliff to defend the rim? Can our half court defense remain good with guys like McConnell and Mag and Miller locking down opposing wings? Will our half court offense IMPROVE because Cliff is an outside threat in the screen and roll game, and because the spacing and passing is better without iso/ballhogs JY and Mathis on the team?

6. Will our free throw shooting improve like we all hope? The departures of Myles and Mathis, who will be replaced by players who should be better on FTs, should improve our FT percentage. Let’s see if that actually pans out.

7. Can we exceed expectations? Most prognosticators have picked us around 8th in the B1G, but is that’s because outsiders overemphasize the losses of Myles, JY and Mathis, and under emphasize the gains of Hyatt, Jones, Mag and Agee? If everything pans out the way we hope, we could be in the top 4 conversation in the B1G.

Lots to wonder and watch, but whatever the answers end up being, I suspect it’s going to be one of the most exciting seasons on the Banks in a long while.

LFG!!!!!

I am going to hijack this.

I agree with all the points. There are a ton of storylines and a ton of X factors.

I am assuming Cliff will make great strides and come close to being what Myles was defensively
I am assuming the newcomers will provide offense and be fine defensively
I am assuming/hoping there will be no injuries

To me the direction of the season will be ALL about how #0 and #24 approach the season. It will come down to how hungry they are and how much they want to win. They are captains and along with Cliff are the only players that aren't going to need to fight for playing time. Whether they make or miss shots isn't as important as how they approach playing the other end (although there is correlation). To me it isn't about whether Geo makes a step back 3 or if Ron takes his man off the dribble and scores. It is about how badly they want to prevent the player they are guarding from scoring. If there is a loose ball whether they are willing to dive on it. If they are in help position are they willing to move a few steps to the spot and take a charge?

If they are engaged our odds of post season play is very high.

It’s go time.

Really looking forward to this season.

The excitement level for the start of the season seems to be at an all time high. I think this is because there’s a lot of hype about this possibly being Pike’s best team, but I also think it’s because of all of the intriguing storylines that exist beyond just the potential wins and losses.

1. Will Geo and Harper round back into form and have the sort of “senioritis” that usually leads good teams to magical runs? They’re both over their injuries, and I think everyone is anticipating Ron shooting 40% and just becoming an all around go-to guy and future NBA player, and Geo shooting >35% and cementing his place as one of the all time leaders in Rutgers sports, like the Brian Leonard of men’s basketball.

2. Is Cliff the real deal? We’ve heard a lot about him in the off-season. He played with the Nigerian men’s national team, he packed on good muscle while still beating everybody in wind sprints, he’s shooting well from the outside now, he “dominated” Villanova, he made the most improvement of anyone, he’s the hardest working big man Pike has ever had, and so on. How much is hype, and how much is real? This is the most intriguing storyline of all.

3. Can Agee and Reiber provide a credible force in the paint behind Cliff? Pike says Agee is the most accomplished offensive threat he’s ever had at the 4/5 spot, and says Reiber is one of the team’s best athletes. A lot of our success will hinge on Cliff becoming what he’s been hyped up to be, but also Agee and Reiber giving good backup minutes.

4. How will the newcomers fare? There’s so much intrigue about whether Hyatt can become this year’s Yeboah, and whether the reported offensive game of Jaden Jones is just hype, or is it real? There’s also intrigue about whether Jalen Miller and Mawot Mag are really the lockdown defenders that we’ve heard about. Can’t wait to find out about all of this.

5. Will we miss Myles, Mathis and JY? They provided unique skill sets, with Myles being an elite rebounder, post defender, and shot blocker, and JY being a cat quick elite on-ball defender and penetrator, and Mathis being a very good defender and open court player. There’s probably nobody on the current roster that provides the same skill sets of Myles and JY to their level, but how will Pike adjust the game strategy to account for their loss? Will we become an elite rebounding team again just by everybody crashing the boards like in past years? Will we become an elite defense with superior length all across the lineup and a burgeoning shot blocker in Cliff to defend the rim? Can our half court defense remain good with guys like McConnell and Mag and Miller locking down opposing wings? Will our half court offense IMPROVE because Cliff is an outside threat in the screen and roll game, and because the spacing and passing is better without iso/ballhogs JY and Mathis on the team?

6. Will our free throw shooting improve like we all hope? The departures of Myles and Mathis, who will be replaced by players who should be better on FTs, should improve our FT percentage. Let’s see if that actually pans out.

7. Can we exceed expectations? Most prognosticators have picked us around 8th in the B1G, but is that’s because outsiders overemphasize the losses of Myles, JY and Mathis, and under emphasize the gains of Hyatt, Jones, Mag and Agee? If everything pans out the way we hope, we could be in the top 4 conversation in the B1G.

Lots to wonder and watch, but whatever the answers end up being, I suspect it’s going to be one of the most exciting seasons on the Banks in a long while.

LFG!!!!!
Excellent post summarizing everything this team has in front of it and what everyone will be looking out for as the season progresses.
In my humble opinion , Geo and Ron have monsters years and the blend of veterans and the new comers will propel RU to a top 6 finish in the Big 10, a run to the Big 10 championship game and an Elite 8 run. Lots of versatility but improved shooting and improved foul shooting will increase our win total and my belief that Ron and Geo and Caleb will all shoot much better and Cliff and Jaden and Hyatt and Agee will provide the improved shooting and scoring. Agee will give us up 6-10 points per game backing yup Cliff. Cliff’s climb this sophomore year kinda like James Bailey’s climb his sophomore year will propel this team to heights we have not seen since the 70’s.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
I am going to hijack this.

I agree with all the points. There are a ton of storylines and a ton of X factors.

I am assuming Cliff will make great strides and come close to being what Myles was defensively
I am assuming the newcomers will provide offense and be fine defensively
I am assuming/hoping there will be no injuries

To me the direction of the season will be ALL about how #0 and #24 approach the season. It will come down to how hungry they are and how much they want to win. They are captains and along with Cliff are the only players that aren't going to need to fight for playing time. Whether they make or miss shots isn't as important as how they approach playing the other end (although there is correlation). To me it isn't about whether Geo makes a step back 3 or if Ron takes his man off the dribble and scores. It is about how badly they want to prevent the player they are guarding from scoring. If there is a loose ball whether they are willing to dive on it. If they are in help position are they willing to move a few steps to the spot and take a charge?

If they are engaged our odds of post season play is very high.
Hijack!? In the words of Harrison Ford, "Get off my plane!"

Seriously, though, it's not a hijack, but rather an amplification on my point 1. I know your feelings about Baker and Harper not giving it their "all" in some games last year. I don't know whether that's accurate or not, but regardless, if you read their quotes in all of the season preview articles, they seem SUPER motivated to raise this team to an Elite 8 status. So, even if your belief about them from last year has any truth, I suspect you're going to be pleased with their response this year.

LFG!!!!!
If we're keeping score with the storylines:

1. Say what you will about missing shots, but at least Geo and Harper seemed fully engaged last night, bringing the intensity that we need from them. Both of them were diving on the floor for loose balls, and Harper was fighting in the post. CHECK

2. Cliff sure showed, for one game at least, that he's the real deal. CHECK

3. Agee and Reiber were disappointing behind Cliff, to the point where Pike had Harper playing the 5 during a key stretch of the 2nd half. I know it's only one game, but I'm officially worried about our backups at the 5. JURY IS OUT.

4. Newcomers were a mixed bag. Jones looked decent in limited minutes (though his defense kept him off the floor) and Hyatt looked really good. Mag (dental procedure) and Miller were DNP. JURY IS OUT.

5. We definitely missed what Myles, JY, and Mathis brought to this team last night. Our interior defense was lacking, our guards were repeatedly getting beat off the bounce, and there was a decided lack of transition offense. Now, much of the disappointment stems from simply missing shots (and as GRF has pointed out in other threads, the LOOKS were good, so you have to be happy that we were actually getting good shots). JURY IS OUT.

6. Free throws were an improvement at 72%, though we missed a few critical ones in crunch time. Still, though, CHECK

7. JURY IS OUT on whether we can exceed expectations. We certainly did not MEET expectations last night, but it's only one game, so the sample size is too small.

Reactions: RUHouston
The season is not over. I stand by what I said before the season. It is up to 0 and 24. 0 has had opportunities to take charges. He isn't interested. Harper appears out of shape. The team is following their example. They are leaders. They play without emotion, so does the team. Harper gets excited only when he makes a shot. Geo looks like his Mom is making him play or someone ran over his dog.

The season is not over. I stand by what I said before the season. It is up to 0 and 24. 0 has had opportunities to take charges. He isn't interested. Harper appears out of shape. The team is following their example. They are leaders. They play without emotion, so does the team. Harper gets excited only when he makes a shot. Geo looks like his Mom is making him play or someone ran over his dog.

I knew this game 1

These 2 set the tone.

This aged.....well
Not sure if you’re being sarcastic, but I think my OP was and remains spot on in terms of the storylines and questions for the season.

My OP asked questions; it did not make predictions, but did HOPE for positive answers.

After five games, most of the answers are in the negative obviously. Can things be turned around to the extent we all hope? Probably not, as the five game sample size doesn’t look to be a fluke.

But I don’t think the excitement is completely dead and buried.

The season is very close to over. According to kenpom we gave a .2% chance of making the tournament. Some crazy stuff has to happen very quickly to bring the season back to life. The lack of heart/fire so far leads me to believe nothing is going to change. Also, they are not good shooters. Tough to win a. Significant amount of games if you can't score points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT