ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Represented at World Lacrosse Championships

Good to see more RU guys involved. Was a little surprised Jules didn't make the USA team. He was a little banged up one of the try outs but had a great weekend the following one.

Going to come down to Canada and the US once again. Canada is vastly improved in their outdoor understanding. Having so many of those guys play in college is really helping them.

4-4 at the half. No shot clock, which is VERY noticeable with clearing.

Glad US won. Agree the modern game needs the shot clock.

I like that the top 5 teams are in the same pool - will allow competitive games in the other pools - which is good for the game.

Just like in the PLL I don’t understand why they allow knee down FOs. It’s confusing for kids and while I expected us to dominate the X watching Baptiste lay on top of the ball and withhold over and over again is boring. They should go SNG.

We looked more talented across the board and the D played lights out. Throw in the face off game and you have to think the US will take home the gold again.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
We looked more talented across the board and the D played lights out. Throw in the face off game and you have to think the US will take home the gold again.

I don't think there has ever been a 1-2 combination at FOGO like Baptiste and Ierlan. And although he was not under a lot of pressure, Riordan was solid.

Reactions: Caliknight
Yea, we are stronger in the middle of the field. They have a great goalie too but I think we are better there. And we are better at the x. If you want to build a team, that's where you start. I think our D is big, mobile, and physical which is able to control the incredible skills and slickness Canada has. And they have a lot.

If you are Canada, you are looking at the fact we held them to 1 goal in the second half at the end of the game which was virtually meaningless. They need to play a slow down game to win and being held to 1 in a half isn't going to win the game. Conversely, if they try to run and gun, which isn't really in their DNA, it's going to expose them even more at the X, not to mention USA has athletes to burn in the middle of the field. We can play that way too.

It's sports and of course anything can happen. Canada is that talented. But if you are projecting after watching this first game, America has the stuff that makes championship teams. I am not sure Canada does. I would have put it at a toss up prior to the tourney starting, but it would now be an upset for USA to lose based on what I saw yesterday. This team is very strong at every level of the field.

Russo plying now for Italy, up over Mexico. At least half the team is American, like many of the other teams. The outlier is Japan, which blew out France and is currently blowing out Uganda (no surprise) currently. Looks like they have some decent home grown talent.

Reactions: Wagram97
He's one of those guys you wish you had for another year and full offseason. He has a lot of natural gifts but just wasn't ready for this level. Mostly physically.

USA exploding vs Israel. Not sure how you slow this team down if you are Canada.

USA exploding vs Israel. Not sure how you slow this team down if you are Canada.

Tough when they are winning 90% of the faceoffs. There would be even more domination if they let Sowers take the Pannell role and run the offense. Pannell's lost a step and Sowers is lightening quick.

Faceoffs are a huge advantage no doubt. That’s a problem for whoever the US pkays.

Good to see Pannell break Millon’s points record. Guy was a selfish player always hinting his. Pannell has been incredible. Sowers has been effective at midfield but I wouldn’t be surprised if they play him some at the x in the final.

Japan has been slowly and methodically moving the needle over the last 30 years. Great to see.

McArdle needs to sit. He’s made two really bad plays. Problem is Connor Kelly is hurt so he’d have to run middie

Great game. D is so nasty and O’Neill. Wow. That guy is going to put up a million points next season.

Defense and O’Neill. Most dominant player on the field and he’s not even done college. What a beast.

Reactions: runner3283
Did I hear correct, the Canadian coach will be the DU coach this year?
Yes. He’s been a long time assistant at Denver and is taking over for Tierney. He’s a great mind. He will do very well there.

Been interesting to watch Canada and the US. Canada has been the beneficiary of lots of guys coming to the states to play field. Their understanding of the outdoor game particularly on defense has grown significantly in the last 20 years.

But the US is now gaining in stick skills and passing by playing the indoor game more than we used to. Lacrosse across the board has never been played at a higher level than right now. High school, college, pro, international.

This US team, especially on D, was incredible to watch. Those shorties were a massive difference maker. All 4 of them. They were weapons.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT