ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers men's lacrosse resists late Stony Brook run to pick up road victory

Forget other positives or negatives, have to be really pleased with the play of Stoller.

Forget other positives or negatives, have to be really pleased with the play of Stoller.
I didn’t watch the game, so I obviously don’t know how the goals occurred, or how the defense played on the goals, but Stoller’s save percentage was just 42.8% (9 saves on 21 shots in goal). That’s not very good.

Just based on the stats, he didn’t have a good game, but I know stats don’t always tell the whole story. Maybe some of the goals weren’t his fault?

Not trying to be negative here, but just asking the question for anyone who watched the game.

He played serviceable. It was his first away game and he’s a red shirt freshman. He made a bunch of great saves in the first half. In the second he missed some. Some were definitely the D’s fault. Some I’m sure he wished he had back.

Important thing is when it came to winning time he closed. He’s also very good out of he cage. He picked off another pass. That’s a big element. Offenses are going to see that and it’s going to change passing angles.

He played serviceable. It was his first away game and he’s a red shirt freshman. He made a bunch of great saves in the first half. In the second he missed some. Some were definitely the D’s fault. Some I’m sure he wished he had back.

Important thing is when it came to winning time he closed. He’s also very good out of he cage. He picked off another pass. That’s a big element. Offenses are going to see that and it’s going to change passing angles.
Liked that from the first game, thought he was very aggressive coming out of the cage, especially for a freshman.

I admit to grading on a curve, but he also opened as a freshman 1st year starter with two tough games. No Marist or St. Johns. Plus, he doesn't have a Russo, Rall, or Jean-Felix in front of him. Been pleased with that play when it could have easily been a disaster.

He’s a player. A lot of schools wanted him and he has the pedigree behind him. Losing Rizotti really impacted him and D overall. They are grinding. There will be more growing pains but they got better last week. Need to continue on that trajectory. In the meantime the offense has to play smart, cut down on turnovers and work for good shots.

SB was no pushover. They were playing at home and picked to finish second in their league. They had a couple of guys who can play anywhere. They offered an opportunity to get better. We also played a ton of guys. Always good for morale. Seeing this a lot with top teams now.

He’s a player. A lot of schools wanted him and he has the pedigree behind him. Losing Rizotti really impacted him and D overall. They are grinding. There will be more growing pains but they got better last week. Need to continue on that trajectory. In the meantime the offense has to play smart, cut down on turnovers and work for good shots.

SB was no pushover. They were playing at home and picked to finish second in their league. They had a couple of guys who can play anywhere. They offered an opportunity to get better. We also played a ton of guys. Always good for morale. Seeing this a lot with top teams now.
How is our depth on D? The guys who have to fill in for the injured players - are they young or veterans who lost a job and now getting another opportunity?

They are young. We lost our best long pole at close and he was replaced by a sophomore. Talented and playing well, but not nearly as experienced or possessing the leadership.

The SSDM we lost is a player. Not sure who replaced him per se as we played a bunch of SSDM's this last game. In fact, some of our O guys are playing SSDM. Give the staff a lot of credit. They aren't afraid to think out of the box and try different things. Their coaching acumen is certainly being tested with these losses. We've completely changed how we play in a weeks time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT