ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Men's Soccer Travels To Mount St. Mary's, Hosts Elon In Home Opener

They are so far off the track they aren't even in the train station
Nice one. They really should get at least one win out of these next two games. If they return home 0-4, I don’t know what kind of lame comments Donigan is gonna have about the effort and what have you.

Yep. I’ve spoken of this regarding Donigan before too. The worst thing that can happen for this program is that somehow he manages a season close enough to .500 to convince Hobbs to leave things in place for now moving forward.

A win. Elon will be much tougher test though. Mt. St. Mary’s May be one of the lowest level teams I’ve seen play at D1 level. Apparently they lost men’s soccer for several years until very recently.

RU down 4-0 to national powerhouse Elon with 10 minutes left in the first half ...

Down 4-0 at home ... I don’t follow Elon, maybe they are good.

The last time Elon put up 8 goals was 1989. A homecoming embarrassment for sure. Wow. Historic fail. So awful for the guys in the team. What kind of defense is this? Where is Washington? What happened to Borden? The huge Uruguayan center back? Man, this has to be dealt with ASAP.

Reactions: biazza38
2018: 1-3
2017: 4-13-1
2016: 1-14-2
2015: 12-7-2
2014: 6-12-1
2013: 7-11-2
2012: 7-7-1
2011: 10-7-4

Should've been fired after 2014, as I've been saying on here since then.

After 2013, the wheels were coming off
Many kids were thinking about leaving but only Corboz was smart enough
No one really cares enough in the athletic administration to even give it the attention it deserves
DD has not put in a full day of work in 4 years
There is the potential here to embarrass the University on many different levels

Reactions: Leonard23
I saw a hashtag in the Twitter feed on BTN2Go: #CanDan.. I think that sums it up. I've watched this team from afar more recently and hope that they can get back to what they were before (I'd be happy with the relatively successful late 90s/early 2000s when I was in school and attended games).

Donigan on the game:

“We can go one of two ways. We can either let this break us and completely demoralize us or accept the embarrassment of that game and try and move forward," said head coach Dan Donigan. "We have to stay together collectively as a group and recover from this game and bounce back. Tonight for whatever reason was not to be for us. We have to find answers to solve some of the problems that went out there tonight, and if we can do that, I still feel this group will be ok. I don't want to downplay it, but at the same time, I don't want this to kill anything we had going because we worked really hard to this point and ran into a major road block tonight. We can't let this break us. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to bounce back Saturday night against Hartford."

Donigan on the game:

“We can go one of two ways. We can either let this break us and completely demoralize us or accept the embarrassment of that game and try and move forward," said head coach Dan Donigan. "We have to stay together collectively as a group and recover from this game and bounce back. Tonight for whatever reason was not to be for us. We have to find answers to solve some of the problems that went out there tonight, and if we can do that, I still feel this group will be ok. I don't want to downplay it, but at the same time, I don't want this to kill anything we had going because we worked really hard to this point and ran into a major road block tonight. We can't let this break us. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to bounce back Saturday night against Hartford."
This guy is beyond a train wreck there is no way he should last the rest of this season!!

Reactions: Leonard23
Is it even possible that Donigan could get fired early season? Would Hobbs just promote an assistant as interim. That doesn’t seem like it would help really. Can’t hire anyone of much merit amidst a season so I guess Hobbs just rides this season out no matter how ugly it gets? Really sucks for the players. But I guess they are responsible too. I tend to think it is more of the lack of a sound tactical approach on Donigan’s part plus his use of personnel and his lack of recruiting savvy though.

8– in soccer is like 25-1 in baseball, 80-7 in football, 120-52 in basketball, and so on.
There is no “for whatever reason” as Donigan suggests.
This was not a game of bad bounces and breaks, or just a tough one and move on.

We were defenseless, clueless and offered no resistance.

Absent some impropriety or outright player revolt, I don't see a scenario where DD is let go during the season. Having said that, 8-1 is beyond an unacceptable result. The whole program including the current players need to be held accountable for such a mess.

At the college level, strategy, tactics and playing style are vital....what is our next opponent preparing for?

Elon? Wow I don’t follow this program closely but a Big Ten team in any sport losing like that to an Elon is beyond laughable

8– in soccer is like 25-1 in baseball, 80-7 in football, 120-52 in basketball, and so on.
There is no “for whatever reason” as Donigan suggests.
This was not a game of bad bounces and breaks, or just a tough one and move on.

We were defenseless, clueless and offered no resistance.
Yeah. There are certainly many many things that need to be addressed, and it doesn’t seem like he is prepared to do so. I mean, he needs to at the very least, put out a very different lineup next game. Not saying that is an answer, but the players that have been featured so far are clearly not effective even at the basic levels of executing defensive and attacking soccer tactics. Of course, Donigan’s approach to setting these tactics out for the team seems broken too, but if you are a player, you take pride in what you do and work hard no matter what. If he doesn’t try to hold any players accountable by at least mixing up the personnel somewhat, then that’s another bad sign. I saw the goalie was pulled for the first time, but how about the entire defense?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT