ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Men's Soccer Travels To Mount St. Mary's, Hosts Elon In Home Opener

RU is just not good ... going to be a long year ... might be winless in conference ... start ending every post with #CanDan

I’m new to the program so I can’t speak about the past but these are my early takeaways:

This may be the worst coached team I’ve seen. They have no clue how to maintain their shape or play with any sort of identity. They are too slow in transition from attack to defense and leave gaps all over the field. For a large chunk of the game last night they were defending with a disjointed line of 4 at the back, 4 players pressed against Elon’s defense, and 2 midfielders left to cover the rest of the field. Elon carved them up repeatedly.

I won’t pick out certain players, but the talent level is not up to par. I know there are a couple injuries, but they need to change something. The midfield is about as bad as I’ve seen.

There is no direction or coaching throughout the match. Last night Donigan sat in his chair for the entire match and did not utter a single word to the players on the field. No direction, no encouragement, no emotion when you’re losing 8-1 at home to Elon. It was unreal.

And I’m not here to troll. I’m a Seton Hall season ticket holder but just moved near Yurcak and have some ties to RU athletics and come from a soccer background.

I’m new to the program so I can’t speak about the past but these are my early takeaways:

This may be the worst coached team I’ve seen. They have no clue how to maintain their shape or play with any sort of identity. They are too slow in transition from attack to defense and leave gaps all over the field. For a large chunk of the game last night they were defending with a disjointed line of 4 at the back, 4 players pressed against Elon’s defense, and 2 midfielders left to cover the rest of the field. Elon carved them up repeatedly.

I won’t pick out certain players, but the talent level is not up to par. I know there are a couple injuries, but they need to change something. The midfield is about as bad as I’ve seen.

There is no direction or coaching throughout the match. Last night Donigan sat in his chair for the entire match and did not utter a single word to the players on the field. No direction, no encouragement, no emotion when you’re losing 8-1 at home to Elon. It was unreal.

And I’m not here to troll. I’m a Seton Hall season ticket holder but just moved near Yurcak and have some ties to RU athletics and come from a soccer background.
You hit all the nails on the heads. As we all know, in soccer it almost always starts and ends in relationship to the middle—and in the last several years at least, the midfield seems woefully without any real purpose, direction, and (not to disparage any of the players too much) the specific kind of talent necessary to properly execute.

As many have already stated Hobbs really needed to address this situation prior to this year. I'm sure there were reasons not to. But to continue like this is not good for anyone (players, coaches, or Rutgers). An interim coach should be put in place to at least attempt to stabilize the program. Continuing with the status quo will only make it that much tougher for the next coach to recruit.

As many have already stated Hobbs really needed to address this situation prior to this year. I'm sure there were reasons not to. But to continue like this is not good for anyone (players, coaches, or Rutgers). An interim coach should be put in place to at least attempt to stabilize the program. Continuing with the status quo will only make it that much tougher for the next coach to recruit.
I agree but I think the interim would need to come from outside current staff to make any difference in the immediate and that process would almost be like making a new hire, which I don’t think the AD has the time and energy to devote to MSOC right now.

He’s a horrible coach. It’s not worth debating. Barring a miracle, the problem will be solved at season’s end.

What I witnessed last night was eye opening. He literally did not communicate with the players on the field at any point. Not after the goalie got chipped from 45 yards 3 minutes into the game, not after they went down 4-0 midway through the first half, not at any point in the second half. It was crazy.

I haven’t watched a more disorganized team in a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
That chip job was crazy. Prolly made sportscenter. I doubt he would do it but Donigan resigning now could potentially make this season somewhat worthwhile for the existing players and would send message to potential recruits that a new regime is coming. That thought has to be more promising than what is in place now.

What I witnessed last night was eye opening. He literally did not communicate with the players on the field at any point. Not after the goalie got chipped from 45 yards 3 minutes into the game, not after they went down 4-0 midway through the first half, not at any point in the second half. It was crazy.

I haven’t watched a more disorganized team in a long time.
He’s obviously just playing out the string. Everyone knows it, including the players.

Reactions: rondi
What the heck happened? He won a bunch of games just a couple of seasons ago. Hard to believe he suddenly became a bad coach. But the numbers are hard to defend...

I couldn’t bear to watch it. But without ANY (or limited) communication by a Head Coach during a game, sounds to me “RU has just cause” to fire him now without buy-out pay :angry: !

Find a way, Hobbs! Send a message it will NOT be tolerated. It’s enough and unfair to the student-athletes.

Go RU!
Diane

Reactions: richthedentist
What the heck happened? He won a bunch of games just a couple of seasons ago. Hard to believe he suddenly became a bad coach. But the numbers are hard to defend...

Guessing recruiting has gone by the way side for starters.

I see only 3 possible wins left on schedule: Hartford (next game), Howard, and Columbia. I don’t see how they get a conference win...

I see only 3 possible wins left on schedule: Hartford (next game), Howard, and Columbia. I don’t see how they get a conference win...

I tend to agree...three more but I see them maybe getting lucky and eeking out a win somewhere in the conference slate to offset a loss at the hands of one of those three OOC opponents.

Give him a break ... Germany in a World Cup semi beat Brazil 7-1 ... it happens.

Hey, we (Maryland) scored a goal! It only took 485 minutes. 1-2-2 heading into conference play, baby...

ADVERTISEMENT