ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Ranked #36 in Andy Katz’s Way-To-Early Power 36

Maybe he's not impressed with the additions so far. The 5th best player from an Ivy league team. And a iso guard - from a bad, and very undisciplined Eastern Michigan team. I understand the ranking

Maybe he's not impressed with the additions so far. The 5th best player from an Ivy league team. And a iso guard - from a bad, and very undisciplined Eastern Michigan team. I understand the ranking
Makes sense if you want to ignore Ace and Harper. I mean they're both ranked higher than Stephon Castle, who just averaged 18 per game in the Final Four and made all tournament team. But, sure, focus on the other pieces. Haha.

Makes sense if you want to ignore Ace and Harper. I mean they're both ranked higher than Stephon Castle, who just averaged 18 per game in the Final Four and made all tournament team. But, sure, focus on the other pieces. Haha.
Agreed their better.. But im a big believer in the guys around you - playing apart in your success. I want the best results possible

Reactions: RUDivision
#36 still seems really low to me. Having two Top-3 recruits should probably have them ranked in the 20s despite needing to add a couple more pieces in the transfer portal.

Wisconsin is ranked 15 spots higher even though AJ Storr and Tyler Wahl are leaving.

Next years #27 vs #36 @ the RAC could be a classic.
NIT win and just missing the Dance gave Hall #27, no problem there.
36 for Rutgers is probably because of the recruiting class and nothing from last year.
I'll take it as better things yet to come.
As for the Pirates at RAC , should be a good one with Home Cooking giving RU the edge

#36 still seems really low to me. Having two Top-3 recruits should probably have them ranked in the 20s despite needing to add a couple more pieces in the transfer portal.

Wisconsin is ranked 15 spots higher even though AJ Storr and Tyler Wahl are leaving.
Counting on 18 yr olds - to carry you in the portal era... USC, Louisville, OK St - all had highly ranked classes. All 3 finished at the bottom of the conference. What takes place in the portal -- has a huge effect, on projections now

You guys still listening to Katz

His take in May 2023

Katz believes the Scarlet Knights will be just fine.

“Cam Spencer was not going to decide Rutgers’ fate next season,” Katz told NJ Advance Media. “He was a piece, but he wasn’t going to decide whether they were a tournament team because think about it like this: No one thought a year ago he was going to have the year that he had, so there’s no guarantee he was going to go back to back. He obviously played well, made a major contribution and now moves on.”

I'm sure that Pike and staff are on top of Portal working on the final pieces. Players will be interested in the opportunity to play with Dylan and Ace.

not surprised. wait and see mode...desperately need a top center portal guy...the 2 guys we got in the portal are solid but not going to turn heads

in the portal world what would have been an incredible splash with Ace and Dylan now changes as new variables have been introduced as college is now about paying to construct your best team

not surprised. wait and see mode...desperately need a top center portal guy...the 2 guys we got in the portal are solid but not going to turn heads

in the portal world what would have been an incredible splash with Ace and Dylan now changes as new variables have been introduced as college is now about paying to construct your best team
Bradshaw or bust?

Yes, but Castle was able to grow through out the year because he didn't have to lead the team. Acuff helps, but this team is depending on Dylan and Ace to be it's leaders, which isn't fair to freshman.

Yes, but Castle was able to grow through out the year because he didn't have to lead the team. Acuff helps, but this team is depending on Dylan and Ace to be it's leaders, which isn't fair to freshman.

I’m sure ace and Dylan will be just fine being the leaders.

You needn’t worry about them

This is a very over rated selling piece. Guys don't transfer to be possible 3rd-5th fiddle, unless going to a team that was already good.

Depends on the kid and the position.

Obviously if you’re a graduate point guard who wants to start - not the team for you next year

or if your goal is to be the go-to scorer - not the team for you next year

But this team has a few roles still to fill and having the chance to play with 2 lottery picks could be very attractive to many players:

a defensvie and rebound oriented 4 or 5.

A cliff O clone would THRIVE playing with those 2!!!!

Another spot-up shooter (benefit as martini will with ace and Dylan taking the attention).

There are plenty of kids /types of players who could recognize how playing with talented players like that will HELP their game

His take in May 2023

“Cam Spencer was not going to decide Rutgers’ fate next season,” Katz told NJ Advance Media. “He was a piece, but he wasn’t going to decide whether they were a tournament team because think about it like this: No one thought a year ago he was going to have the year that he had, so there’s no guarantee he was going to go back to back. He obviously played well, made a major contribution and now moves on.”
Katz wasn't far off when you consider Cam's play didn't bring a dance ticket when he played for Rutgers.
What Katz didn't realize is the combination of Spencer , Mulcahy and McConnell leaving the team would hurt so much.
Each as an individual could be replaced, but trying to replace all three was the downfall.

Mag never could replace Caleb's D, Pike really couldn't find a suitable replacement for Paul and that made losing Cam's shooting look worse because Cliff never turned into the type of score at the Center spot he was expected to be and non of the guards stepped up at PG or SG like hoped for.

Spencer's leaving was one of the reasons Rutgers had a losing season, but the year he played at RU he didn't make RU dance material, just a spoke in the well that brought a Not Invited Tourney appearance and quick exit from that.
Cam's good, but not carry the team good

Reactions: Knightmoves

Freshman, zero continuity, no long term program players(help teach philosophy), and the coaching staff impacting that ranking.
Way too early so not overly concerned

Reactions: Knightmoves
Lathan is the X-factor. Maybe the coaches can put together a junk defense which funnels the ball to spots that allow Ace to alter shots coming over from the weak side late. To me Ace has the ability to be very impactful defensively in this way.

Really ranking mean nothing at this point, we have 3 returning players, (2 of which will not be starters) and will probably have 10 new players assuming we fill all of 13 scholarships. Building a cohesive team from a total roster flip is a monumental coaching challenge. Make no mistake if all goes reasonably well we will be significantly better at the end of the year than the beginning. My wish for 2024-25 is we put a team on the floor that is enjoyable to watch, and makes continuous improvement throughout the season, really don't care about early/ pre-season ranking. Just show me some good well played basketball and Improvement over 2023-24.

Reactions: Smols

His take in May 2023

Nobody's preseason prognostications are always right. No human alive. Does that mean their takes have no value?

Really ranking mean nothing at this point, we have 3 returning players, (2 of which will not be starters) and will probably have 10 new players assuming we fill all of 13 scholarships. Building a cohesive team from a total roster flip is a monumental coaching challenge. Make no mistake if all goes reasonably well we will be significantly better at the end of the year than the beginning. My wish for 2024-25 is we put a team on the floor that is enjoyable to watch, and makes continuous improvement throughout the season, really don't care about early/ pre-season ranking. Just show me some good well played basketball and Improvement over 2023-24.
At a minimum Rutgers must get a NCAA bid having Bailey and Harper on the court.Anything less will be considered as a deep disappointment by the media and most fans.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Should be able to get to 20 wins and middle to upper third in league. It is doubtful we will be a "finished product" early season, just give us a product we can watch and that continues to improve throughout the season. Good consistent offensive guard play will be key to the season and a run in the tournaments

Reactions: RUDivision
Good teams rely on their best 3 players. Elite teams can rely on their next 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT