ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Roster

They have live matches every Friday during October. They will use tournaments to determine the line-up.
I know it doesn’t determine the lineup but it’s still a good thing for the fans to see and the results gets everyone pumped for the season to start.

Reactions: bluemountain1967
I’m not sure why RU doesn’t embrace the wrestle offs like a lot of programs. It’s simply another opportunity to engage with the fans, get them into the building, and have some fun. Plus it’s on B1G+.

Seems like a missed opportunity especially when we already have limited home matches.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I’m not sure why RU doesn’t embrace the wrestle offs like a lot of programs. It’s simply another opportunity to engage with the fans, get them into the building, and have some fun. Plus it’s on B1G+.

Seems like a missed opportunity especially when we already have limited home matches.

They've done it in the past but if I remember right they had some mixed results against outside comp that had them rethink just going by the wrestle off.

Can count it as a home date at the RAC! Because, well, we only have four of them.

Reactions: koleszar and MS-RU
They've done it in the past but if I remember right they had some mixed results against outside comp that had them rethink just going by the wrestle off.
I meant it as purely for entertainment and fanfare. I want the coaches to ultimately select the lineup the best way they see fit, but having people at the RAC for an event to kickoff the season is never a bad thing, especially during a season where you only have 4 real home dates. It's just another opportunity to build your brand/base and invite wrestling clubs, high school programs, etc.

Yeah I haven’t attended either but there’s something to be said about an informal invite to a practice vs sitting in an arena with everyone in attendance fixated on the same two guys going at it.

Don’t c why wrestle-offs can hurt.. even Ohio state website says wrestle-offs only help determine the lineups and not the be all end all.. sometimes wrestler a could get a better draw then wrestler b at a tournament.. they should all just be used to factoring starter..

Reactions: rubigtimenow

I meant it as purely for entertainment and fanfare. I want the coaches to ultimately select the lineup the best way they see fit, but having people at the RAC for an event to kickoff the season is never a bad thing, especially during a season where you only have 4 real home dates. It's just another opportunity to build your brand/base and invite wrestling clubs, high school programs, etc.
Open practice this Saturday at Jersey Mikes Arena

If you want to watch some actual wrestling the OSU wrestle offs are on B1G+ right now.

Don’t c why wrestle-offs can hurt.. even Ohio state website says wrestle-offs only help determine the lineups and not the be all end all.. sometimes wrestler a could get a better draw then wrestler b at a tournament.. they should all just be used to factoring starter..
If you want to watch some actual wrestling the OSU wrestle offs are on B1G+ right now.
Upset at 141.
Ohio State Wrestling

@wrestlingbucks

·
6m

141 | Decatur escapes with 0:03 on the clock and adds a takedown to take the lead. Decatur takes the bout in a 6-4 decision.

Reactions: Peteras9144
Going to be nice seeing Sammy beating Decatur again this yr 😂 just kidding.
Decatur’s win was pretty nice.. D’emilio, the kid he beat, is ranked #7 preseason and has a win over pitt’s Cole Mathews.. funny Sammy beat Decatur when they were both 133 and now both at 141 with their own redemption arc

Wonder what happens now.. does he get starts over Kharchla..
No chance. Kharchla was an AA (finished 7th) last year as a freshman and was banged up for most of the year. Obviously it's not the start everyone was hoping to see but he has a lot of time to get it going but hopefully Hepner earned himself a few extra looks though.

Wrestleoffs are weird. These kids wrestle with each other every day for months, and in turn years. They know each other so incredibly well that upsets are going to happen at a higher rate than what would normally be expected. It’s why coaches at this level don’t use them to determine starters. High school coaches don’t even use them.

They’re really only used at youth levels so explaining to parents why your kid is on the A/B team is cut and dry.

Wrestleoffs are weird. These kids wrestle with each other every day for months, and in turn years. They know each other so incredibly well that upsets are going to happen at a higher rate than what would normally be expected. It’s why coaches at this level don’t use them to determine starters. High school coaches don’t even use them.

They’re really only used at youth levels so explaining to parents why your kid is on the A/B team is cut and dry.
Yup...Pretty sure it was Tom Brands that said years ago "I am not training you to beat the 3 guys in the room at your weight, I am training you to beat the 32 other guys in your NCAA bracket". These guys get so familiar with each other that it makes it very hard to score on each other, etc.

Any reason those six are being held back?
Goodale said at the meet the coaches meeting that Boone is on a match count.
Janzer, Soldano and Kannaird are coming off injuries.
Alvarez just wrestled at worlds.
Heilmann and White are just being held out.

All seven will be ready to wrestle next week.

Reactions: Peteras9144
Yes, we knew about the surgery which kept him out last year, but it was reported that he was fully recovered. I was hoping he hadn't reinjured his back.
He’s fully healthy and ready to go. He actually stated that he wasn’t even healthy his freshman year and that this is the best he has felt since High School senior year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT