ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers stopper Mawot Mag on his ACL recovery and practice notes from Carino

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore

“Why leave a place where you’re embraced and liked for another place?” he said. “We have a lot to accomplish. The job’s not finished.”

Emmanuel Ogbole is every bit the 6-foot-10, 260-pounder listed.

Pikiell made it clear Tuesday that the Scarlet Knights won’t be pushing and pressuring wall to wall for 40 minutes.

Pikiell sees this as the deepest team of his eight-year Rutgers tenure.

Palmquist: “These are my guys,” he said. “They were happy I came back. That felt good.”

Chol: “He’s an absolute flamethrower,” Hyatt said. “He’s never seen a shot he doesn’t like.”

Ogbole not even practicing til January. Big dude so have to be careful there

Davis shutting down Simpson is pretty impressive for a freshman with how ridiculously quick Simpson is. Love the sound of that

Hearing Mag sing Davis' praises for his commitment to defense is impressive, too. Davis could be an unheralded steal in this class. Hearing Pike compare his athleticism/speed to Young the other day and now this... juicy!

Chol as a deep threat - if that materializes against real competition, that's SWEET MUSIC.

Davis shutting down Simpson is pretty impressive for a freshman with how ridiculously quick Simpson is. Love the sound of that
There is an alternate way to look at that too.
With the kind of speed we have on the roster, Pike can put a lineup out there that is speed/athletically not Big 10 like at all - and I mean that in a really good way.

Ogbole not even practicing til January. Big dude so have to be careful there

J Mike is super fast too. Remember he blew up this past AAU season as the guard on ACE’s team and I believe we are going to love his game and playing defense is an added dimension for a freshman.

We just wouldn’t be Rutgers if the HC didn’t turn a quote about the offense into protecting the defense.

I will say I have more faith in HC Pike than HC Schiano and actually opening up his offense - even if it hurts the precious fragile defense that needs to be coddled at all times.

“The quicker you shoot the ball, the more you’re on defense; everyone wants to run up and down like crazy, but I don’t want other teams to score on us easily,” he said. “When you sit in a room and everyone says, 'Oh we want to play fast,' well what does that entail? That entails more turnovers, maybe more jacked up threes, and it’s harder to rebound.”

We just wouldn’t be Rutgers if the HC didn’t turn a quote about the offense into protecting the defense.

I will say I have more faith in HC Pike than HC Schiano and actually opening up his offense - even if it hurts the precious fragile defense that needs to be coddled at all times.

“The quicker you shoot the ball, the more you’re on defense; everyone wants to run up and down like crazy, but I don’t want other teams to score on us easily,” he said. “When you sit in a room and everyone says, 'Oh we want to play fast,' well what does that entail? That entails more turnovers, maybe more jacked up threes, and it’s harder to rebound.”
I have no problem with that. I agree with him. And I'll add, "No rebounds, no rings." 😎

Oh I know. I was on the J Mike train when it was completely empty. It's starting to fill up nicely
Jamichael is also a teammate/friend of Ace Bailey, correct? That could be a nice program continuity move by Coach Pike and the staff. I root for all Rutgers Teams (go RUFH!!!), but I hope the hiring of Coach goes down as one of the great moves of all time. And... Pike acts like he has always been at Rutgers. He acts like a "Rutgers guy" more than most "Rutgers guys" lol. GO RU!

I have no problem with that. I agree with him. And I'll add, "No rebounds, no rings." 😎

True.
I just would like to see one quote from any Rutgers coach or staff in any sport:

"Our defense? Don't worry about our defense. They will figure it out and adapt. Worry about their defense having to go against our offense and trying to stop them."

Jamichael is also a teammate/friend of Ace Bailey, correct? That could be a nice program continuity move by Coach Pike and the staff. I root for all Rutgers Teams (go RUFH!!!), but I hope the hiring of Coach goes down as one of the great moves of all time. And... Pike acts like he has always been at Rutgers. He acts like a "Rutgers guy" more than most "Rutgers guys" lol. GO RU!
Yup, and a lot of people thought we only took jamichael for that reason, especially at first. Davis earned his scholarship bc he's a really good player

The reason for the change is that Rutgers was a poor half court scoring team.Layups are easier to make off a fast break.Nobody knows how the offense will perform until the season starts against Princeton. Pikiell will make changes if the team isn't winning.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
The reason for the change is that Rutgers was a poor half court scoring team.Layups are easier to make off a fast break.Nobody knows how the offense will perform until the season starts against Princeton. Pikiell will make changes if the team isn't winning.
Good point. The problem is that Princeton may not be the best first opponent to test this out, but we’ll work through it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT