ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Swim Coach Leaving

So did he get poached by a North Carolina school?

I do not think it was UNC at their coach just made National Coach of the year 2014?
Maybe NCState?

It didn't even say he was going to coach college swimming in North Carolina. It's not like college swim coaches get paid a fortune.

In any event, I didn't even know who the swim coach was.

I swam in Jr college with Ryan Lochtes dad,,,Steve Lochte and went to nationals 2x

I hated to see Rutgers drop the mens program but we wouldnt have been competitive in the B10

Similar to other sports - if RU could retain a a portion of the premium NJ talent - An RU Men's swim team would be a force to be reckoned with. One factor that many RU sports don't have - RU has a very good aquatic facility!

Rumba - RU doesn't have a men's swim team. Just women's. Unclear from your post whether you were aware of that.

Originally posted by Doctor Worm:
Rumba - RU doesn't have a men's swim team. Just women's. Unclear from your post whether you were aware of that.
I mentioned that in a post here and on the Olympic Sports board and both disappeared?

Originally posted by Doctor Worm:
Dr. W - oh yes, quite well aware .... and quite displeased ... but have heard rumblings that RU has been given a nudge by the B1G to reinstate ... and have also heard that Maryland (who also has a fine facility) has been urged to bring back both Women's & Mens ... but it may be a long time (if ever) before it happens.

Phil Spiniello came in (at a much more modest salary level) as Women's Swimming & Diving Head Coach five years ago to replace (the more significantly compensated) Chuck Warner - who had been let go as Head of Men's & Women's

My original comment was in response to MikeFla who stated that he did not think RU could have been competitive in the B1G - I disagree - but it is now only a theoretical discussion - but my point was that every year NJ produces a very strong crop of highly competitive swimmers - and - if you invoke the old cliche "if just some would stay" RU (if it had a men's team) could be a force!

It is unfortunate that a number of sports that genuinely fit many of the collegiate 'scholar-athlete" profile characteristics - and programs that have a historic past & accomplishments - are getting squeezed out - some blame goes to title nine ... some to pure $$$ ... and some to pure institutional politics (see demise of Clemson's swim team - and the College of Charleston).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT