ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers to Move Medical School to The Hub; Groundbreaking Ceremony Set For Thursday

Long retired by the time Barchi became president so I have no idea what the structure was with Vice Presidents (and RU has quite a few), but back in Ed Blousteins day, he he’d T. Alexander Pond as an executive VP who drove a lot of the progress that RU made during EJBs tenure. Also served as acting president when EJB died. McCormick gave Pond a lot of credit to Pond for building the University to AAU status - an important criteria for the Big Ten.
Joe Seneca filled that role for a while, I believe.

Reactions: Leonard23
The current med school is a dump. Good to move it from Piscataway closer to the hospital.

@HeavenUniv. Med students don't dorm. Many live in Society Hill in P'way, many commute from surrounding towns, a few live in downtown NB. This will probably increase the number in downtown NB.

The official Rutgers announcement and story are linked below. Liked the short excerpt below. This is big stuff...

https://www.rutgers.edu/news/rutger...campaign=rutgerstoday&utm_content=Health Care

The HUB’s expansion to include the Rutgers Translational Research facility and the new academic building for the Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School provides increased collaborative opportunities for researchers, clinicians, biologists and members of the pharmaceutical industry to work together to pursue new therapies.

“The project announced today has the potential to be the most meaningful and profound investment this state has ever made in translational research that will take innovation and discovery from the bench to the bedside,” said Holloway. “This investment will fuel the kind of innovation that unleashes the combined power of one of America’s greatest public research universities with industry and other academic partners to disrupt and to transform the state and regional economies.”

“I went to the school that cured ______”

I can dig that.😎

The current med school is a dump. Good to move it from Piscataway closer to the hospital.

@HeavenUniv. Med students don't dorm. Many live in Society Hill in P'way, many commute from surrounding towns, a few live in downtown NB. This will probably increase the number in downtown NB.
Some schools have dorms for Med students. If Med School is halfway as hard as I have always heard, I would be trying to get as much sleep as possible instead of spending time commuting. On the other hand, some kids might want to get away from people all concentrating on one thing. To each his own.

Some schools have dorms for Med students. If Med School is halfway as hard as I have always heard, I would be trying to get as much sleep as possible instead of spending time commuting. On the other hand, some kids might want to get away from people all concentrating on one thing. To each his own.
Just as some schools have dorms open to law students, so too it makes sense to have dorms available for medical students. But it would be quite unusual for the dorm to be part of the instructional building. Dorms are financed through revenue bonds, and so they tend to be distinct buildings.

I feel like most grad students don't dorm and live in apartments close to campus or maybe a town or 2 over from campus.

I feel like most grad students don't dorm and live in apartments close to campus or maybe a town or 2 over from campus.
If you're drawing from a national pool of applicants, it's helpful to have dorms for those unfamiliar with the area. They will almost certainly move out after a year, but they will have saved themselves the aggravation of finding housing in an unfamiliar area. In addition, having dorms helps students bond with each other during the first year. That's why law school have dorms, and the same reasoning applies to medical school, which draw from the same age group.

If you're drawing from a national pool of applicants, it's helpful to have dorms for those unfamiliar with the area. They will almost certainly move out after a year, but they will have saved themselves the aggravation of finding housing in an unfamiliar area. In addition, having dorms helps students bond with each other during the first year. That's why law school have dorms, and the same reasoning applies to medical school, which draw from the same age group.
That makes sense.

Reactions: retired711
I am very interested to know what The Tower next to the golf course will be used for. Move the Dental School from Newark to Piscataway ? A new branch of the Dental School? Move the School of Nursing there and expand enrollment? It might be a bit inconvenient so far from Cook, but maybe New Jersey , a State with NINE Million people and a zillion cats, dogs, and horses, finally gets a Veterinary School? Maybe it is shared among various Science and/or Engineering departments? Maybe Rutgers finally starts an Architecture major ? Convert it into dorms ? A Law School Campus For Piscataway?

I am very interested to know what The Tower next to the golf course will be used for. Move the Dental School from Newark to Piscataway ? A new branch of the Dental School? Move the School of Nursing there and expand enrollment? It might be a bit inconvenient so far from Cook, but maybe New Jersey , a State with NINE Million people and a zillion cats, dogs, and horses, finally gets a Veterinary School? Maybe it is shared among various Science and/or Engineering departments? Maybe Rutgers finally starts an Architecture major ? Convert it into dorms ? A Law School Campus For Piscataway?
Rutgers looked into establishing a vet school and an architecture program under the Barchi administration. Both were rejected; I can't quite remember why, but I *think* the conclusion was that the demand isn't there for an architecture program and that a vet school would be too expensive. As we've discussed a lot, there's no prospect for a law school in New Brunswick/Piscataway. My understanding is that the administration considers New Brunswick/Piscataway to be overcrowded as they are, in part because of the traffic problems near the campus, and so expansion of the student population is not favored. I"m not defending any of this, but instead just telling you the little I know.

One of my friends went to med school at RWJ. He lived in an apartment complex by 287 and River Road, an apartment in Highland Park right over the bridge, and Tov Manor. When he was a resident he lived in Colony House. Before the days of Uber it was always "fun" to get rides back from NB with the exception of Highland Park ironically, which was a nice pleasant walk over the bridge. But his friends from school lived all over in Piscataway, mostly close to campus, Society Hill, a couple of different complexes around NB, HP and Somerset.

Where they definitely did NOT live was 5th and 6th ward, the places nearest to campus which most of us would associate with bars and partying (basically between College Ave and Louis Street). Also they mostly did not live downtown, but my guess is that was due more to the cost. Even as residents the salary is awfully low and barely takes into account that NB isn't cheap, even if it isn't NYC.

I remember thinking that med school students were the only ones who could give some of my law school classmates a run for their money in bookishness and awkwardness. A lot of them would probably feel out of place at a nice dinner, never mind a bar or a party. I think they probably felt overwhelmed at RU as a lot of them went to Ivies and were not used to the atmosphere. Though a few would watch RU football and basketball, especially the ones who went to RU for undergrad, it definitely wasn't prevalent.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Rutgers looked into establishing a vet school and an architecture program under the Barchi administration. Both were rejected; I can't quite remember why, but I *think* the conclusion was that the demand isn't there for an architecture program and that a vet school would be too expensive. As we've discussed a lot, there's no prospect for a law school in New Brunswick/Piscataway. My understanding is that the administration considers New Brunswick/Piscataway to be overcrowded as they are, in part because of the traffic problems near the campus, and so expansion of the student population is not favored. I"m not defending any of this, but instead just telling you the little I know.

I remember reading that vets at the peak of their career make something like 75k- which I couldn't believe given how valued their work is (at least to me as someone who likes dogs and cats) but my guess is that has something to do with it. Not a very lucrative field. I have also read similar things about architects and that the field was shrinking.

I think unfortunately at least pre COVID, the trajectory of the legal field was probably edging closer to accounting (will make money and is stable, but not necessarily make you rich) versus medical school (likelier to make you rich but maybe not with the ever increasingly insane debt load). RU definitely values accounting and often says how sought after RU is among the Big 4 and built the new beautiful business school. But for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to value the legal field as much, despite having excellent undegrad programs that feed in (English, philosophy, poli sci, history) and ones that law schools wish fed in more (engineering, pharma)...I don't get the mentality but understand a lot of it is political.

I remember reading that vets at the peak of their career make something like 75k- which I couldn't believe given how valued their work is (at least to me as someone who likes dogs and cats) but my guess is that has something to do with it. Not a very lucrative field. I have also read similar things about architects and that the field was shrinking.

I think unfortunately at least pre COVID, the trajectory of the legal field was probably edging closer to accounting (will make money and is stable, but not necessarily make you rich) versus medical school (likelier to make you rich but maybe not with the ever increasingly insane debt load). RU definitely values accounting and often says how sought after RU is among the Big 4 and built the new beautiful business school. But for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to value the legal field as much, despite having excellent undegrad programs that feed in (English, philosophy, poli sci, history) and ones that law schools wish fed in more (engineering, pharma)...I don't get the mentality but understand a lot of it is political.
You are correct. Rutgers has never cared about legal education. It's not as though Rutgers ever set out to establish a law school. It got the Newark law school as part of the takeover in 1946 of the University of Newark and the Camden law school as part of the acquisition of South Jersey Law School's undergraduate and graduate programs in 1951 or so. Closing these institutions in favor of a law school in New Brunswick would offend state legislators from both parts of the state. To make it worse, Rutgers central administration has always focused on the New Brunswick/Piscataway campus to the exclusion of the others. At least the Newark campus is close enough that putting resources in Newark (like the business school) is valuable to New Brunwick. The Camden campus is a 75-minute trip from New Brunswick, and out of sight is out of mind.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
For those familiar with renovations, could the building be converted to dorms and could it be done at a reasonable price ( and yes we all know about unions, fraud, weather, etc. in construction in New Jersey)?

Nursing built a new purpose built building in 2009 at 110 Paterson St.
A huge step up from the scattered buildings they had and when the NB outfit was second fiddle to the Newark program.
The Nursing School for the Piscataway/New Brunswick campus is very small and VERY hard to get in. If the Nursing shortage is as bad as you hear, we could expand. I looked around various articles, and unless I missed it, I haven’t seen what the present Tower will be used for. By the way, it could REALLY use a power washing on the outside lol.

The Nursing School for the Piscataway/New Brunswick campus is very small and VERY hard to get in. If the Nursing shortage is as bad as you hear, we could expand. I looked around various articles, and unless I missed it, I haven’t seen what the present Tower will be used for. By the way, it could REALLY use a power washing on the outside lol.
Yes - demand for nursing will persist along all the allied health professions.
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to hire a Medical Assistant with what amounts to the education a decent VoTech high school can provide.

The nursing program at Rutgers-Camden is growing; it now shares a new building with some of the sciences. The building is located along what is supposed to eventually be a corridor between the Camden campus and Cooper Hospital/medical school.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
but maybe New Jersey , a State with NINE Million people and a zillion cats, dogs, and horses, finally gets a Veterinary School?
Looks like this if finally happening in NJ but not at Rutgers. Rowan U is set to announce a new school of veterinary medicine next month

Looks like this if finally happening in NJ but not at Rutgers. Rowan U is set to announce a new school of veterinary medicine next month

I'm not sure this is a good idea for Rowan with Penn have a vet school not far away. My recollection is that Rutgers considered establishing a vet school when Barchi was president, and decided not to. But Rowan is much less risk-averse than Rutgers is, and a substantial upswing in jobs for vets is expected.

I'm not sure this is a good idea for Rowan with Penn have a vet school not far away. My recollection is that Rutgers considered establishing a vet school when Barchi was president, and decided not to. But Rowan is much less risk-averse than Rutgers is, and a substantial upswing in jobs for vets is expected.
Lol just yet another money laundering front for the George Norcross crime family. That's the only logical explanation for putting in that much money into a mediocre college like Rowan.

There is your answer.

I can think of one vet if she had the option she would have stayed home.

I'm not sure this is a good idea for Rowan with Penn have a vet school not far away.
I am not sure if proximity will make much difference if you are referring to class size or quality. The acceptance rate at the 32 existing Vet universities is very low meaning there are plenty of aspiring (and probably very qualified) vet students with nowhere to go.

Cost of attendance for PennVet is in the high 80s per year for 4 years. Other schools are similar. I get that there is a substantial initial investment to be made to get this up to speed but It's hard to see how this could be risky for either Rutgers or Rowan from a business point of view

Does Vet school become like PhD programs in the Liberal Arts?
Lots of programs will happily accept your money (or loans) for school. But jobs and earning power don't match that output?
My brother, a Cook and PennVet Grad, says his colleagues love to gripe that all these new vets are going to have a hard time making a decent buck. (And competing for their income/business, of course.)

Does Vet school become like PhD programs in the Liberal Arts?
Lots of programs will happily accept your money (or loans) for school. But jobs and earning power don't match that output?
My brother, a Cook and PennVet Grad, says his colleagues love to gripe that all these new vets are going to have a hard time making a decent buck. (And competing for their income/business, of course.)

This has been my point before. NYT did an article (pre COVID) that many vets are making like 75k 10 years into their career. A teacher in NJ is going to outpace that. Doesn't seem the investment would be worth it from a return perspective, sadly, as someone who loves animals.

This has been my point before. NYT did an article (pre COVID) that many vets are making like 75k 10 years into their career. A teacher in NJ is going to outpace that. Doesn't seem the investment would be worth it from a return perspective, sadly, as someone who loves animals.
Maybe that’s why they do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT