ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers University to raise costs for tuition, fees, meals and housing

T2Kplus20

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 2, 2007
Wow, big increases across the board, but hey, had to feed the union overlords:

Rutgers University on Monday approved increasing student tuition and fees by 6 percent each.

The university’s Board of Governors also approved raising meal plans by 7 percent and student housing by 5 percent. That means the typical in-state arts and sciences undergraduate will pay an average of $387 more per semester for tuition, from $6,450 to $6,837. Mandatory fees will increase about $100 per semester for those students, according to the university.

What is the cost of attending inclusive of tuition, room and board and fees?

I am using the RU cost as my basis of what to save in my granddaughters 529

Rutgers University on Monday approved increasing student tuition and fees by 6 percent each.

The university’s Board of Governors also approved raising meal plans by 7 percent and student housing by 5 percent. That means the typical in-state arts and sciences undergraduate will pay an average of $387 more per semester for tuition, from $6,450 to $6,837. Mandatory fees will increase about $100 per semester for those students, according to the university.

Not surprising. They’re running a $75 million deficit.

Reactions: RUskoolie
I mean, everything else in life has gotten more expensive over the last 3+ years, in many cases way more than 6%. Not entirely surprising.

Asking this question, what were the increases in '21 & '22? If there was a 2 year freeze this would. be justified. I suspect that this is not the case. This will continue until universities are on the hook financially for student loan defaults. If they don't have exposure they'll build a climbing wall and jack up tuition 3-5% every year.

Asking this question, what were the increases in '21 & '22? If there was a 2 year freeze this would. be justified. I suspect that this is not the case. This will continue until universities are on the hook financially for student loan defaults. If they don't have exposure they'll build a climbing wall and jack up tuition 3-5% every year.
Student loans amounts should be linked to job prospects.....based on majors and track records of university grads. They need some skin in the game.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
I guess athletes really don't need NIL afterall.
They are getting a 6% raise in the "payment" they are already receiving.

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

No inflation right?

Nice. Glad to see the BOG had some stones on them. I personally encouraged President Holloway to do this.

We don't get a pat on the back from anyone for keeping tuition flat for a few years while inflation runs rampant and while we have a bloody balance sheet from shutting down the school during COVID.

Whoever will complain about it in the media will complain about us no matter what.

Pretty sure they were flat for a few years or very minimal bumps. This was long overdue.

More reason for parents to sent their kids to out of state schools because it’s so expensive at RU.

RU is ranked #55 in USNR. Let's say tuition and fees are $17K. Other schools with similar rankings:

Maryland costs $40K for NJ kids.

Villanova costs $60K

Miami costs $55K

Syracuse costs $60K

FSU costs $23K

Minnesotta costs $35K

Pitt costs $36K

Reactions: NotInRHouse

Didn’t they save $ with “distant learning”?

Huh?

RU is ranked #55 in USNR. Let's say tuition and fees are $17K. Other schools with similar rankings:

Maryland costs $40K for NJ kids.

Villanova costs $60K

Miami costs $55K

Syracuse costs $60K

FSU costs $23K

Minnesotta costs $35K

Pitt costs $36K
Costs more than 30k a year to attend. None of those other schools are collecting taxes from NJ families. Many of those colleges will provide funding to get high end NJ kids. Rutgers is less than likely. Rutgers does not set itself up well at all when it comes to in state kids.

Reactions: RU Cheese
Costs more than 30k a year to attend. None of those other schools are collecting taxes from NJ families. Many of those colleges will provide funding to get high end NJ kids. Rutgers is less than likely. Rutgers does not set itself up well at all when it comes to in state kids.
Collecting taxes? Bwa ha ha ha .

Reactions: TRU2RU
Collecting taxes? Bwa ha ha ha .
Yeah. State schools in other states are far less expensive for in state students because the “collected taxes” in the state also help keep tuition down. Including some of those that were listed. Not sure why that is funny. The idea that RU is some amazing deal for in state families just isn’t true. Many families are finding better tution for similar school quality out of the state. Heck, I think many would find that Rutgers has been caught or surpassed by Rowan in this area.

Yeah. State schools in other states are far less expensive for in state students because the “collected taxes” in the state also help keep tuition down. Including some of those that were listed. Not sure why that is funny. The idea that RU is some amazing deal for in state families just isn’t true. Many families are finding better tution for similar school quality out of the state. Heck, I think many would find that Rutgers has been caught or surpassed by Rowan in this area.
I agree with you until the Rowan comment. That's just not true.

My daughter starts at RU in September and it will cost me about $35K per year. Similar out of state schools were $50K+ and some out of state private schools were $70K+. Other instate schools were $50K+ but with the scholarship offers the total cost was similar to $35K a year. The instate school (she didn't apply to Princeton) tried to lower their cost to match RU but RU is a better school than the other in state options, for a better or similar price.

My daughter starts at RU in September and it will cost me about $35K per year. Similar out of state schools were $50K+ and some out of state private schools were $70K+. Other instate schools were $50K+ but with the scholarship offers the total cost was similar to $35K a year. The instate school (she didn't apply to Princeton) tried to lower their cost to match RU but RU is a better school than the other in state options, for a better or similar price.

State Universities should not be costing families $35k per year.

It’s outrageous

It’s fine if If you want to send your kids out of state or if your kids don’t want to go to RU. But don’t use cost as a reason. It just make you look stupid.

I think a lot of privates do this too, relative to the flagship school in the state you're applying from?

Isn’t Rowan and the other State colleges similar in cost?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT