ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers University to raise costs for tuition, fees, meals and housing

1/2 of NJ is commutable to Rutgers New Brunswick.

Tuition and Fees is $17k.

World class education for $68k for four years.

Ponder that.
add around $2k a year for books and $4k a year for gas figuring a 50 mile medium round trip, you're up to $92k. That's assuming the kid never once eats on campus or spends any money on anything else. Say they want to add season football/basketball tix. There's another $250 a year plus any food they buy during the game plus the extra gas spent traveling to games on Saturday... Point is, even for commuters to Rutgers, it's gonna cost $100k.

Ponder that.

add around $2k a year for books and $4k a year for gas figuring a 50 mile medium round trip, you're up to $92k. That's assuming the kid never once eats on campus or spends any money on anything else. Say they want to add season football/basketball tix. There's another $250 a year plus any food they buy during the game plus the extra gas spent traveling to games on Saturday... Point is, even for commuters to Rutgers, it's gonna cost $100k.

Ponder that.
Don’t forget the 25% interest rate for that loan you need and that Aston Martin to drive to school.It’s really like 200 billion dollars.

Reactions: fsg2
Don’t forget the 25% interest rate for that loan you need and that Aston Martin to drive to school.It’s really like 200 billion dollars.
lol forget an Aston Martin, a 3 year old Honda Civic costs $25k today...

1/2 of NJ is commutable to Rutgers New Brunswick.

Tuition and Fees is $17k.

World class education for $68k for four years.

Ponder that.

better yet go to community college for 2 years at 7-8K per year then go to RU. Some of the county colleges even allow you to get a 4 year RU degree without ever stepping foot on campus.

Ponder that.

2K a year for books??? 4K a year for gas?? I'm not even sure my daughter paid 2K for all 5 years to get her education degree

Ponder that.
Those are weird assumptions and costs not actually related to schooling.

I’m in the process with my oldest. Don’t think she will go to RU because it is just too big for her. Funny thing is, the big pro for RU is cost.
Our oldest went, got a great scholarship, ended up costing total for 4 years something like less than $30K (for the entire 4 years). Got an outstanding job with a leading medical software company making top dollar. Could not be happier.

Youngest- like your oldest, RU was too big. Also, did not have guaranteed entry for the second phase of the program of interest. Went to a smaller private school in Connecticut with a decent aid package, but 4 years will cost close to $180K. Then 2 more years to finish the second Master's part of the program. Thankfully, we saved a lot of $$$ for both to go private, and we saved money on the oldest.

2K a year for books??? 4K a year for gas?? I'm not even sure my daughter paid 2K for all 5 years to get her education degree

It's about $1200-1300 a year for books alone not including any kind of ancillary materials (folders, thumbdrives, calculators, etc). I did over estimate a bit there.

Gas and car maintenance yea. Should have expanded. The gas alone is around $2000 a year to commute (figure a tank a week $60 x 32 weeks a school year) plus RU charges $200 per semester for a parking permit. Add in the cost of car maintenance and you're there.

Point is even as a commuter, there's so many more costs associated than simply tuition

Those were the weird assumptions.

Season tickets and your beer and hot dog aren't part of the equation.
So you really don't expect a college kid to be a "college Kid" at any point in their college experience? Gimme a break...

It's about $1200-1300 a year for books alone not including any kind of ancillary materials (folders, thumbdrives, calculators, etc). I did over estimate a bit there.

Gas and car maintenance yea. Should have expanded. The gas alone is around $2000 a year to commute (figure a tank a week $60 x 32 weeks a school year) plus RU charges $200 per semester for a parking permit. Add in the cost of car maintenance and you're there.

Point is even as a commuter, there's so many more costs associated than simply tuition
No, you're not there. What kid is spending $2K per year, every year, in car maintenance?

Are those beer and hot dogs also $2K a year?

"Weird" was kind. Terrible assumptions.

So you really don't expect a college kid to be a "college Kid" at any point in their college experience? Gimme a break...
No, I don't expect it to be calculated as part of schooling cost, any more than beer money or Netflix.

You've clearly had a long break .. from logic and math.

Reactions: newell138

Ponder that.
I just did. It’s dirt cheap. $25k a year.

A kid can make half of that working summers and during the year.

No, you're not there. What kid is spending $2K per year, every year, in car maintenance?

Are those beer and hot dogs also $2K a year?

"Weird" was kind. Terrible assumptions.
a set of tires is $500, set of breaks is $800, timing belt is $1500, 2-3 oil changes is $200. And you not going to tell me that food is not part of the equation. Not in cars but the overall cost of commuting.

My estimates were high but the idea that a commuter can graduate from RU for $68k is laughably inaccurate. Lets say there's no social activites or fun associated whatsoever and the student strictly eats packed lunches from home every day for their entire 4 years (which is outrageously unrealistic but for arguments sake since you want to take things so literal).

$60 a week in gas x 32 weeks per school year= $1800.
Average Textbook cost is $1200 as cited below.
Rutgers Commuter Parking Pass: $200 Semester
NJ Tolls: $300 semester

So we're up to $4k per year there extra if you do the BARE MINIMUM. Add that to the $68k tuition and your up over $80k to graduate from a state university as a commuter.... It's disgusting!

Realistically the kids car is gonna need a few oil changes and almost guarentee a major repair within their 4 years of college as a commuter. Also the kid IS going to eat. You really think a kid is going to go through their entire rutgers experience without having a Fat Koko? Child Please

Last edited:
Reactions: MulletCork
No, I don't expect it to be calculated as part of schooling cost, any more than beer money or Netflix.

You've clearly had a long break .. from logic and math.
uhhhhh, find me a college student who has no fun whatsoever on campus... you're detached from reality these days. Let me guess, your over 60 aren't you?

a set of tires is $500, set of breaks is $800, timing belt is $1500, 2-3 oil changes is $200. And you not going to tell me that food is not part of the equation. Not in cars but the overall cost of commuting.
You're trying way too hard to make numbers fit a narrative. And you're not doing well.

You don't replace all that stuff every year. You might not even do those major jobs your entire time in college. Tires are rated 50K+ miles. Your own numbers indicate 8,000 miles a year commuting. I'll let you finish the real math and disprove your own fantasy.

And, no, given that you have to eat whether you go to school or not, food isn't a a school-specific cost. You can also limit eating out to nothing if you're commuting from home. That's up to you and isn't an inevitable cost.

You're trying way too hard to make numbers fit a narrative. And you're not doing well.

You don't replace all that stuff every year. You might not even do those major jobs your entire time in college. Tires are rated 50K+ miles. Your own numbers indicate 8,000 miles a year commuting. I'll let you finish the real math and disprove your own fantasy.

And, no, given that you have to eat whether you go to school or not, food isn't a a school-specific cost. You can also limit eating out to nothing if you're commuting from home. That's up to you and isn't an inevitable cost.
take a look at my edit... Sorry old man, you're out of touch with reality

uhhhhh, find me a college student who has no fun whatsoever on campus... you're detached from reality these days. Let me guess, your over 60 aren't you?
Uhhhh...again, that's not the question.

Having fun is simply not a school cost, whether it happens on campus or not.

And no, I'm not anywhere near 60, nor am I detached from reality. You get hit in the head with a frolf disc? Your stream of consciousness is pretty erratic today.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Sorry dumbass, you dont appear to have ever been in touch with reality.
Quite the opposite in fact dickfor... you just have a real hard time looking at things outside the box.. You didn't go to Rutgers did you? Had you you might have been taught critical thinking skills. lol

The state of NJ covers only about 20% of RU’s operating budget. That’s quite low compared to other states. For comparison, Maryland covers 28% of the university’s expenses.

Naturally, that leads to relatively higher tuition costs for students.

Residents/posters who simultaneously complain about tax rates, the state contribution rate and tuition rates don’t have much ground to stand on.

My estimates were high but the idea that a commuter can graduate from RU for $68k is laughably inaccurate. Lets say there's no social activites or fun associated whatsoever and the student strictly eats packed lunches from home every day for their entire 4 years (which is outrageously unrealistic but for arguments sake since you want to take things so literal).

$60 a week in gas x 32 weeks per school year= $1800.
Average Textbook cost is $1200 as cited below.
Rutgers Commuter Parking Pass: $200 Semester
NJ Tolls: $300 semester

So we're up to $4k per year there extra if you do the BARE MINIMUM. Add that to the $68k tuition and your up over $80k to graduate from a state university as a commuter.... It's disgusting!

Realistically the kids car is gonna need a few oil changes and almost guarentee a major repair within their 4 years of college as a commuter. Also the kid IS going to eat. You really think a kid is going to go through their entire rutgers experience without having a Fat Koko? Child Please

Whoa, you can get 50k and more on a set of tires. Timing belt every 100k miles. Are they commuting daily from Cape May?

Quite the opposite in fact dickfor... you just have a real hard time looking at things outside the box.. You didn't go to Rutgers did you? Had you you might have been taught critical thinking skills. lol
I did go to Rutgers. Not sure it was there, but somewhere along life's path, I also learned not to laugh at my own weak, played out jokes.

And that critical thinking is what gives me, like the rest of thread posters, a hard time seeing even a sliver of light emerge from the void inside your logic less box.

You didn't even agree with yourself and had to go amend your own estimates. So we agree: they were bad. What are you even arguing about anymore?

Whoa, you can get 50k and more on a set of tires. Timing belt every 100k miles. Are they commuting daily from Cape May?
College kid is likely driving an old hand me down with miles on it that's going to need repairs. Unless of course they buy something new or newer and spend $15-20k. Either way it's going to cost money to get there as a commuter, you're going to have vehicle costs...

Good lord do any of you run a business or been around a business? There's always associated costs with everything, to not take them into account is to set yourself up for failure. Come on now, I can't be the only person on this board with a quality Rutgers education to understand this...

I did go to Rutgers. Not sure it was there, but somewhere along life's path, I also learned not to laugh at my own weak, played out jokes.

And that critical thinking is what gives me, like the rest of thread posters, a hard time seeing even a sliver of light emerge from the void inside your logic less box.

You didn't even agree with yourself and had to go amend your own estimates. So we agree: they were bad. What are you even arguing about anymore?
the idea that ancillary costs are not associated with obtaining a degree. It's completely preposterous. But you see you're the type that focuses on irrelevant flaws. That and the fact that historically on this board you have a hard time not having the last word so I do enjoy f*cking with you. lol

Reactions: motorb54
College kid is likely driving an old hand me down with miles on it that's going to need repairs. Unless of course they buy something new or newer and spend $15-20k. Either way it's going to cost money to get there as a commuter, you're going to have vehicle costs...

Good lord do any of you run a business or been around a business? There's always associated costs with everything, to not take them into account is to set yourself up for failure. Come on now, I can't be the only person on this board with a quality Rutgers education to understand this...

And so it's a timing belt every year? If the commute is from 50 miles or less that's one set of tires unless the Bluto Blutarski Degree Progress Rate is followed.

the idea that ancillary costs are not associated with obtaining a degree. It's completely preposterous. But you see you're the type that focuses on irrelevant flaws. That and the fact that historically on this board you have a hard time not having the last word so I do enjoy f*cking with you. lol

Ha, I do. But I am far from alone.

And so it's a timing belt every year? If the commute is from 50 miles or less that's one set of tires unless the Bluto Blutarski Degree Progress Rate is followed.
No, however it's likely that a timing belt or some other larger repair will be necessary in 4 years, particularly if its a hand me down car. In 4 years you will need to replace the tires and brakes once, get about 10 total oil changes plus the one inevitable large repair bill that every hand me down car see's (Timing Belt, trans, head gasket, etc). Between all of those costs you are looking at at least $3k over 4 years simply to keep the car safe and running.

It's irresponsible to not budget for this and consider this is education costs. Those costs are associated with a commuters ability to attend school. This doesn't even take into account that depending where the commuter is coming from that $300 a semester in tolls estimate could be substantially higher.

Last edited:
Need a good laugh Syracuse is $87,922 per year for tuition room & board.
No Way Lol GIF by Hello All

Unreal. thats approaching 375k for 4 year degree. the great private schools aren’t worth that.
Syracuse is FAR from being a great private school, they accept nearly 60% of all applicants, meaning just about anyone can get into Syracuse

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT