ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers University to raise costs for tuition, fees, meals and housing

You need to lose the inferiority complex.

RU is a world class research institute ranked in the top 50+ undergrad in the USA and on the top 50 as a research institution internationally.
55-60% of applicants get in. We are ranked #55 in the US. That’s not world class.

What publications list RU as a top
50 research school in the world?

Reactions: RUaMoose
Unreal. thats approaching 375k for 4 year degree. the great private schools aren’t worth that.

Nobody who goes to the great private schools pays that unless they're in the Top 5%. It's called multibillion dollar endowments

55-60% of applicants get in. We are ranked #55 in the US. That’s not world class.

There’s 2800 four year colleges in the USA.

Rutgers is ranked 55th in the big boy rankings.

That’s top 2%.

Now research:

That’s a world class University.

Last edited:
USN & WR world university rankings has Rutgers ranked #143. I believe 55 is the US number.

No, however it's likely that a timing belt or some other larger repair will be necessary in 4 years, particularly if its a hand me down car. In 4 years you will need to replace the tires and brakes once, get about 10 total oil changes plus the one inevitable large repair bill that every hand me down car see's (Timing Belt, trans, head gasket, etc). Between all of those costs you are looking at at least $3k over 4 years simply to keep the car safe and running.

It's irresponsible to not budget for this and consider this is education costs. Those costs are associated with a commuters ability to attend school. This doesn't even take into account that depending where the commuter is coming from that $300 a semester in tolls estimate could be substantially higher.

You need to make it a 1:1 comparison.
  • Books are part of the equation whatever college you choose. So if you add it on to RU's tab you also have to add it on to any other school cost as well.
  • Same with any form of entertainment - will apply to whichever school you choose.
  • Commuting costs should be factored in. But even if you make it $5000 per year - it still comes out as a bargain compared to paying $60K-$70K to go to an out of state or private institution.

Guys

RU school profile is rising every single year.

This is a better school and a better college experience than we had…..and most of us had a good Rutgers experience

My sons is attending as a class of 2027 and I’m totally jealous on the school he is attending is offering a far better college experience than what I had for the class of 1992

Our oldest went, got a great scholarship, ended up costing total for 4 years something like less than $30K (for the entire 4 years). Got an outstanding job with a leading medical software company making top dollar. Could not be happier.

Youngest- like your oldest, RU was too big. Also, did not have guaranteed entry for the second phase of the program of interest. Went to a smaller private school in Connecticut with a decent aid package, but 4 years will cost close to $180K. Then 2 more years to finish the second Master's part of the program. Thankfully, we saved a lot of $$$ for both to go private, and we saved money on the oldest.
Personally, I don’t think RU is that big. What they should do instead is do the general pitch at the visitor center on Bush and ask which campus they like to see and do a walking tour of that campus. I’m not sure the bus tour is the best way to see Rutgers.

You need to make it a 1:1 comparison.
  • Books are part of the equation whatever college you choose. So if you add it on to RU's tab you also have to add it on to any other school cost as well.
  • Same with any form of entertainment - will apply to whichever school you choose.
  • Commuting costs should be factored in. But even if you make it $5000 per year - it still comes out as a bargain compared to paying $60K-$70K to go to an out of state or private institution.
Oh unless one is pursuing a profession where there need a specialized degree it is absolutely ludicrous to spend that kind of money, however there is no way in hell that a state university education should run $80k+ for a 4 year degree. The whole thing is insanity. RU is not exclusive in this, it’s just college for most professions is quickly becoming no longer worth it

There’s 2800 four year colleges in the USA.

Rutgers is ranked 55th in the big boy rankings.

That’s top 2%.

Now research:

That’s a world class University.
Here you go - the premiere research universities in North America:

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

Reactions: Knight Shift
Couple of things important to keep in mind. First is that the student has been reducing funding (in comparison to inflation, etc.) for a long time. It's a way for the state to save money. And to make up the difference, they allow RU to increase tuition. It shifts the cost from the general taxpayer to the student. You can argue that either way.

Second, bringing in the med school has made comparisons of budgets really difficult to look at over time.

Third, you've got to factor in financial aid when considering costs.

All in all, it's difficult to sort out. And you have to remember that somebody's got to cut the grass, paint the buildings, keep the AC working, etc.

As an old RU faculty member, I have to say that there were indeed times when I wondered just where all the money went.

I agree with you until the Rowan comment. That's just not true.
Rowan is crushing RU when it comes to upward trajectory with in state families. Has the school caught RU yet? Most likely not. Unless RU does something, they will. That may be hard for you to hear but it is the reality right now.

Rowan is crushing RU when it comes to upward trajectory with in state families. Has the school caught RU yet? Most likely not. Unless RU does something, they will. That may be hard for you to hear but it is the reality right now.
Can you define what you mean by upward trajectory with in state families?

Isn’t Rowan and the other State colleges similar in cost?
Rowan will cost the average student about 10k less per year. Look, I’m not here saying RU is terrible. It’s a very good school…..if you’re will to pay for it. As in state tuition goes, it’s not really a bargain for almost all NJ families. And that was the original claim that I responded to here: That RU was some sort of amazing deal for NJ families. It’s not.

Can you define what you mean by upward trajectory with in state families?
Interest in and preference in when choosing. Find yourself a HS counselor somewhere and ask them what they are seeing. It’s not 20 years ago. Kids still look at RU. But Rowan and TCNJ have made big gains in the business. Especially with in state kids. Take a look at Rowan’s expansion over the last two decades. That is reflected in their expansion in the NJ market. Rowan has made it their business model to attract NJ kids with their academics, campus and financial affordability. RU continues to just market the RU name. Many NJ families are passing in RU for other state schools or just going out of state for better deals.

Interest in and preference in when choosing. Find yourself a HS counselor somewhere and ask them what they are seeing. It’s not 20 years ago. Kids still look at RU. But Rowan and TCNJ have made big gains in the business. Especially with in state kids. Take a look at Rowan’s expansion over the last two decades. That is reflected in their expansion in the NJ market. Rowan has made it their business model to attract NJ kids with their academics, campus and financial affordability. RU continues to just market the RU name. Many NJ families are passing in RU for other state schools or just going out of state for better deals.
That’s interesting because I just went through this process with my daughter and Rowan wants even considered. She didn’t apply and wanted no part of it. She does have a few friends going to TCNJ but none going to Rowan.

But I think Rowan is a good choice for kids who can’t get into RU. RU can’t take everyone from NJ and instead of going out of state they can go to Rowan.
Also- maybe it was just my kid, but she didn’t get a lot of money offers from out of state. Delaware/PSU/UConn/etc we’re all going to be over $50k. RU was the least expensive and better rated school.

Reactions: Knight Shift
That’s interesting because I just went through this process with my daughter and Rowan wants even considered. She didn’t apply and wanted no part of it. She does have a few friends going to TCNJ but none going to Rowan.

But I think Rowan is a good choice for kids who can’t get into RU. RU can’t take everyone from NJ and instead of going out of state they can go to Rowan.
Also- maybe it was just my kid, but she didn’t get a lot of money offers from out of state. Delaware/PSU/UConn/etc we’re all going to be over $50k. RU was the least expensive and better rated school.
That sounds like this scenario worked out for your family. 20-40 years ago this was the story for a high percentage of NJ families. That is not the case anymore. And that was my point.

Sorry. I’m calling BS. I’m going through the process. High school counselor said definitely apply to RU no matter what. Rowan and TCNJ never came up.

ETA Rowan tuition is 14k vs Rutgers 17k.

Last edited:
Sorry. I’m calling BS. I’m going through the process. High school counselor said definitely apply to RU no matter what. Rowan and TCNJ never came up.

ETA Rowan tuition is 14k vs Rutgers 17k.
Call BS all you want. You’ll be wrong. This is where families are. Compare total costs. Because a counselor suggests a student apply to RU doesn’t change the fact that schools like Rowan have made major gains on RU when it comes to the in state families market. Like I said 20-40 years ago, RU was a much better option for in state families. Now other in state schools, especially Rowan are quickly closing and out of state schools are becoming better option. Especially schools towards the south. Not sure why this seems to be hitting a nerve with some people. RU just is not as highly regarded as a value option for Nj families as it was in the past.

I'm still amazed at how much tuition has increased since I was a student back in the late Sixties-early Seventies.
Inflation has apparently dragged it way up from the $200 a semester back then to untold thousands today.
I remember tuition at Kean and Willie P were no more than $3k a semester back in the 90s, if that much. Now it’s like at least 10 x that.

Exactly. When I have kids I'm going to give them the offer to stay in-state and go to RU for undergrad and if they take that offer, then they can choose to go wherever they want to for grad school and I will financial support them for grad school. If they choose to go for a flavor of the week type OOS college that doesn't justify the cost like a UDel or Cult or Boston U, then they're on the hook for grad school themselves.

100% agree...and I don't get how this isn't the prevalent thought in NJ.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Like health insurance, this is another serious issue that isn't being solved because we no longer compromise. We "fight for our beliefs." Most people would agree that having a highly educated population is vital and that making college too expensive works against that. Yet all we get are band-aids, at best. When I was a kid politicians would grandstand and then go hammer out compromises that made things work. Now everyone is so smart and smug and right that they just can't do that. Anyone who disagrees must be an idiot and should be blocked at all costs. It's pure arrogance imho.

As with healthcare, the profit motive needs to be extracted from the basics. Not that plastic surgery or fancy private schools should be free, but cancer treatment and in state tuition, absolutely.

I think I will apply to be a professor since the job is so great and I will be overcompensated

I hope I have a chance since all of you will be trying to get these easy jobs and are willing to do it for less money

Reactions: NotInRHouse
So it's not really lower, except for UNC. You did not mention for Rutgers:
  • Students from families with adjusted gross income of $65,000 or less receive scholarship funds to cover full annual tuition and mandatory fees.
  • Students from families with adjusted gross income of $65,001 to $80,000 will pay no more than $3,000 per year toward tuition and mandatory fees.
  • Students from families with adjusted gross income of $80,001 to $100,000 will pay no more than $5,000 per year toward tuition and mandatory fees.

But that will not stop the constant whining and bashing from our so-called fans and alums. We should also pull up the thread on the strike and see how many of tuition complainers supported the workers who were striking.

Of all the bizarre contentions on this board- and there are LOTS of them- the one that RU is somehow more expensive than OOS- according to our "alums and fans"- air quotes doing a lot of heavy lifting here- is among the most bizarre.

Yeah, I'm sure some awful private school no one heard of is giving out scholarships to students with RU type qualifications. That doesn't mean it's the better value on planet Earth.

People refuse to accept the fact that RU is a relative bargain.

How to save money.. consolidate majors and minors into single units.. right at teh top here there are three Anthropologies.. cultural, evolutionary and general.. make them all just one unit.. anthropology. I have seen mentioned that the number of "chiefs" vs "indians" is something that is out of control in education, at Rutgers and elsewhere.. even public grade schools.. as well as federal departments like defense. Too many "executives" out there with too much executive-level pay.

African Area Studies
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 016Department: African Area StudiesSchool: SAS
African Languages
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 013ADepartment: AMESALLSchool: SAS
African, Middle Eastern & South Asian Languages & Literatures
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 013Department: AMESALLSchool: SAS
African, Middle Eastern & South Asian Languages & Literatures - Regional (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 013Department: AMESALLSchool: SAS
Africana Studies (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 014Department: Africana StudiesSchool: SAS
Agroecology
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 019Department: Plant BiologySchool: SEBS
American Studies (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 050Department: American StudiesSchool: SAS
Animal Science
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 067Department: Animal ScienceSchool: SEBS
Anthropology - Cultural (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 070CDepartment: AnthropologySchool: SAS
Anthropology -Evolutionary (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 071Department: AnthropologySchool: SAS
Anthropology -General (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 070Department: AnthropologySchool: SAS
Arabic
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 074Department: AMESALLSchool: SAS
Archaeology
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 075Department: AnthropologySchool: SAS
Architectural Studies
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 076Department: Art HistorySchool: SAS
Art
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 080Department: Visual ArtsSchool: MSGA
Art (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 080Department: Visual ArtsSchool: MGSA
Art History (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 082Department: Art HistorySchool: SAS
Asian American Studies
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 051Department: American StudiesSchool: SAS
Asian Studies (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 098Department: Asian Languages and CulturesSchool: SAS
Astrobiology
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 101Department: Earth and Planetary SciencesSchool: SAS
Astronomy
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 100Department: Physics and AstronomySchool: SAS
Astrophysics
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 105Department: Physics and AstronomySchool: SAS
Biochemistry
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 115Department: Biochemistry and MicrobiologySchool: SEBS
Biological Sciences (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 119Department: Division of Life SciencesSchool: SAS
Biomathematics (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 122Department: MathematicsSchool: SAS
Business Administration
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 135Department: Rutgers Business SchoolSchool: RBS
Business and Technical Writing
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 355Department: Writing ProgramSchool: SAS
Cell Biology and Neuroscience (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 146Department: Cell Biology and NeuroscienceSchool: SAS
Chemistry
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 160Department: Chemistry and Chemical BiologySchool: SAS
Chemistry - Business/Law (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 160EDepartment: Chemistry and Chemical BiologySchool: SAS
Chemistry - Chemical Biology (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 160CDepartment: Chemistry and Chemical BiologySchool: SAS
Chemistry - Chemical Physics (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 160FDepartment: Chemistry and Chemical BiologySchool: SAS
Chemistry - Core Option (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 160Department: Chemistry and Chemical BiologySchool: SAS
Chemistry - Environmental (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 160DDepartment: Chemistry and Chemical BiologySchool: SAS
Chemistry - Forensic Chemistry (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 160MDepartment: Chemistry and Chemical BiologySchool: SAS
Chemistry - General American Chemical Society (ACS) (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 160GDepartment: Chemistry and Chemical BiologySchool: SAS
Chemistry Education
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 160EDepartment: Chemistry and Chemical BiologySchool: SAS
Chinese (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 165Department: Asian Languages and CulturesSchool: SAS
Cinema Studies (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 175Department: Cinema StudiesSchool: SAS
Classical Humanities
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 190Department: ClassicsSchool: SAS
Classics - Classical Humanities (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 190Department: ClassicsSchool: SAS
Classics - Greek and Latin (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 190CDepartment: ClassicsSchool: SAS
Classics - Greek Option (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 190BDepartment: ClassicsSchool: SAS
Classics - Latin Option (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 190DDepartment: ClassicsSchool: SAS
Cognitive Science (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 185Department: Center for Cognitive ScienceSchool: SAS
Communication - Health & Wellness Communication (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 192HDepartment: CommunicationSchool: SC&I
Communication - Leadership in Organizations & Community (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 192LDepartment: CommunicationSchool: SC&I
Communication - Relationships and Family Communication (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 192RDepartment: CommunicationSchool: SC&I
Communication - Strategic Public Communication and Public Relations (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 192PDepartment: CommunicationSchool: SC&I
Communication (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 192Department: CommunicationSchool: SC&I
Comparative and Critical Race and Ethnic Studies
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 199Department: American StudiesSchool: SAS
Comparative Literature - Advanced Studies in Literature (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 195FDepartment: Comparative LiteratureSchool: SAS
Comparative Literature (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 195Department: Comparative LiteratureSchool: SAS
Computer Science
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 198Department: Computer ScienceSchool: SAS
Computer Science (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 198Department: Computer ScienceSchool: SAS
Computer Science (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 198SDepartment: Computer ScienceSchool: SAS
Creative Writing
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 351Department: EnglishSchool: SAS
Criminal Justice (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 202Department: Criminal JusticeSchool: SAS
Criminology
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 204Department: SociologySchool: SAS
Critical Intelligence Studies
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 205Department: Political ScienceSchool: SAS
Dance
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 203Department: DanceSchool: MGSA
Dance (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 203Department: DanceSchool: MGSA
Data Science
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 219Department: Data Science ProgramSchool: SAS
Developmental Psychology
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 835Department: PsychologySchool: SAS
Digital Communication, Information, and Media
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 209Department: CommunicationSchool: SCI
Earth and Planetary Sciences - Environmental Geology Option (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 460EDepartment: Earth and Planetary SciencesSchool: SAS
Earth and Planetary Sciences - General Option (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 460LDepartment: Earth and Planetary SciencesSchool: SAS
Earth and Planetary Sciences - Geological Sciences (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 460Department: Earth and Planetary SciencesSchool: SAS
Earth and Planetary Sciences - Planetary Science Option (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 460PDepartment: Earth and Planetary SciencesSchool: SAS
Ecology, Evolution, and Natural Resources (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 216Department: Ecology, Evolution, and Natural ResourcesSchool: SEBS
Economics (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 220Department: EconomicsSchool: SAS
Education as a Social Science
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 300Department: Graduate School of EducationSchool: GSE
English (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 350Department: EnglishSchool: SAS
Entomology
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 370Department: EntomologySchool: SEBS
Entrepreneurship
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 382Department: Rutgers Business SchoolSchool: RBS
Environmental and Business Economics
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 373Department: Agricultural, Food, and Resource EconomicsSchool: SEBS
Environmental Policy, Institutions and Behavior
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 374Department: Human EcologySchool: SEBS
Environmental Sciences
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 375Department: Environmental SciencesSchool: SEBS
Environmental Studies (BA) *Second Major only
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 381Department: GeographySchool: SAS
European Studies (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 360Department: Center for European StudiesSchool: SAS
Exercise Science (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 377Department: Kinesiology and HealthSchool: SAS
Food Science
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 400Department: Food ScienceSchool: SEBS
French (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 420Department: FrenchSchool: SAS
Gender and Media
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 438Department: Communication and Women's and Gender StudiesSchool: SAS/ SC&I
Genetics (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 447Department: GeneticsSchool: SAS
Geography (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 450Department: GeographySchool: SAS
German (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 470Department: German, Russian, and East European Languages and LiteraturesSchool: SAS
Global Humanities (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 013GDepartment: AMESALLSchool: SAS
Government and Business
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 793Department: Political ScienceSchool: SAS
Greek - Ancient
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 491Department: ClassicsSchool: SAS
Greek - Modern
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 489Department: Modern Greek StudiesSchool: SAS
Health Administration (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 501Department: Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public PolicySchool: Bloustein School
Health and Society
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 502Department: SociologySchool: SAS
Hebrew - Modern
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 503Department: Jewish StudiesSchool: SAS
Hindi
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 505Department: AMESALLSchool: SAS
History - Ancient History and Classics (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 510CDepartment: HistorySchool: SAS
History - Law and History
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 518Department: HistorySchool: SAS
History - STEM in Society
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 519Department: HistorySchool: SAS
History (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 510Department: HistorySchool: SAS
History/French (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 513Department: HistorySchool: SAS
History/Political Science (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 514Department: HistorySchool: SAS
Holocaust Studies
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 564Department: Jewish StudiesSchool: SAS
Horticultural Therapy
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 530Department: Plant BiologySchool: SEBS
Human Resource Management (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 533Department: School of Management and Labor RelationsSchool: SMLR
Hungarian
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 535Department: German, Russian, and East European Languages and LiteraturesSchool: SAS
Information Technology and Informatics (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 547Department: Library and Information ScienceSchool: SC&I
International and Global Studies
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 558Department: GeographySchool: SAS
Italian (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 560Department: ItalianSchool: SAS
Italian Studies (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 560IDepartment: ItalianSchool: SAS
Japanese (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 565Department: Asian Languages and CulturesSchool: SAS
Jewish Studies - Advanced Language (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 563LDepartment: Jewish StudiesSchool: SAS
Jewish Studies (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 563Department: Jewish StudiesSchool: SAS
Journalism and Media Studies - Global Media (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 567GDepartment: Journalism and Media StudiesSchool: SC&I
Journalism and Media Studies -Sports Journalism (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 567SDepartment: Journalism and Media StudiesSchool: SCI
Journalism and Media Studies (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 567Department: Journalism and Media StudiesSchool: SC&I
Korean (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 574Department: Asian Languages and CulturesSchool: SAS
Labor Studies
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 575Department: School of Management and Labor RelationsSchool: SMLR
Labor Studies - Diversity in the Workplace Option
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 575DDepartment: School of Management and Labor RelationsSchool: SMLR
Labor Studies - Labor Unions and Social Movements
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 575UDepartment: School of Management and Labor RelationsSchool: SMLR
Labor Studies - Law and the Workplace Option
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 575LDepartment: School of Management and Labor RelationsSchool: SMLR
Labor Studies - Work Organization and Management
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 575MDepartment: School of Management and Labor RelationsSchool: SMLR
Labor Studies - Work, Globalization, and Migration
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 575GDepartment: School of Management and Labor RelationsSchool: SMLR
Labor Studies and Employment Relations (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 578Department: School of Management and Labor RelationsSchool: SMLR
Landscape Design
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 582Department: Landscape ArchitectureSchool: SEBS
Language and Culture of Ancient Israel
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 583Department: Jewish StudiesSchool: SAS
Latin
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 580Department: ClassicsSchool: SAS
Latin American Studies (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 590Department: Center for Latin American StudiesSchool: SAS
Latino and Caribbean Studies (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 595Department: Latino and Caribbean StudiesSchool: SAS
Linguistics (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 615Department: LinguisticsSchool: SAS
Marine Sciences - Marine Biology/Biological Oceanography (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 628DDepartment: Marine and Coastal SciencesSchool: SEBS
Marine Sciences - Marine Chemistry (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 628EDepartment: Marine and Coastal SciencesSchool: SEBS
Marine Sciences - Marine Geology (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 628FDepartment: Marine and Coastal SciencesSchool: SEBS
Marine Sciences - Physical Oceanography (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 628GDepartment: Marine and Coastal SciencesSchool: SEBS
Marine Sciences (BS)
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 628Department: Marine and Coastal SciencesSchool: SEBS
Mathematics - Actuarial (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 640LDepartment: MathematicsSchool: SAS
Mathematics (BA or BS)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 640Department: MathematicsSchool: SAS
Medical Ethics and Health Policy
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 652Department: Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public PolicySchool: Bloustein School
Medieval Studies (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 667Department: Medieval StudiesSchool: SAS
Meteorology
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 670Department: MeteorologySchool: SEBS
Microbiology (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 680Department: Biochemistry and MicrobiologySchool: SEBS
Middle Eastern Studies (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 685Department: Center for Middle Eastern StudiesSchool: SAS
Military Science- Aerospace Science Track
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 693Department: Military EducationSchool: SAS
Military Science- Military Science Track
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 691Department: Military EducationSchool: SAS
Military Science- Naval Science Track
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 692Department: Military EducationSchool: SAS
Military Science- Non-commissioning
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 695Department: Military EducationSchool: SAS
Molecular Biology and Biochemistry (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 694Department: Molecular Biology and BiochemistrySchool: SAS
Music
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 700Department: MusicSchool: MGSA
Music (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 700Department: MusicSchool: MGSA
Music Technology
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 679Department: MusicSchool: MGSA
Nutrition
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 707Department: Nutritional SciencesSchool: SEBS
Organizational Leadership
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 713Department: Organizational Leadership ProgramSchool: SAS
Persian
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 723Department: AMESALLSchool: SAS
Philosophy (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 730Department: PhilosophySchool: SAS
Philosophy, Politics, and Economics (PPE)
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 792Department: Political Science, Philosophy, EconomicsSchool: SAS
Physics - Applied (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 750PDepartment: Physics and AstronomySchool: SAS
Physics - Engineering Dual Degree
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 750GDepartment: Physics and AstronomySchool: SAS
Physics - General Option (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 750Department: Physics and AstronomySchool: SAS
Physics - Minor
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 750Department: Physics and AstronomySchool: SAS
Physics - Planetary Physics Option (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 750KDepartment: Physics and AstronomySchool: SAS
Physics - Professional Option (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 750DDepartment: Physics and AstronomySchool: SAS
Planning and Public Policy (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 762Department: Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public PolicySchool: Bloustein School
Plant Science
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 776Department: Plant BiologySchool: SEBS
Political Science (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 790Department: Political ScienceSchool: SAS
Portuguese (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 810Department: Spanish and PortugueseSchool: SAS
Psychology (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 830Department: PsychologySchool: SAS
Public Administration and Management
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 843Department: Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public PolicySchool: EJBSPPP
Public Health (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 832Department: Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public PolicySchool: Bloustein School
Public Policy (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 833Department: Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public PolicySchool: Bloustein School
Quantitative Economics
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 221Department: EconomicsSchool: SAS
Religion (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 840Department: ReligionSchool: SAS
Russian (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 860Department: German, Russian, and East European Languages and LiteraturesSchool: SAS
Second Majors
Sexualities Studies
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 888Department: Women's and Gender StudiesSchool: SAS
Social Justice
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 904Department: Women's and Gender StudiesSchool: SAS
Social Work (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 910Department: School of Social WorkSchool: School of Social Work
Sociology (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 920Department: SociologySchool: SAS
South Asian Studies
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 925Department: South Asian StudiesSchool: SAS
Spanish - Spanish Intensive (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 940FDepartment: Spanish and PortugueseSchool: SAS
Spanish (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 940Department: Spanish and PortugueseSchool: SAS
Sport Management (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 955Department: Kinesiology and HealthSchool: SAS
Statistics (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 960Department: Statistics and BiostatisticsSchool: SAS
Statistics/Mathematics (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 961Department: StatisticsSchool: SAS
Theater Arts
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 965Department: TheaterSchool: MGSA
Theater Arts (BA)
InformationProgram Type: MajorProgram Code: 965Department: TheaterSchool: MGSA
Turkish
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 973Department: AMESALLSchool: SAS
Urban Planning and Design (BS)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, Major, Credit IntensiveProgram Code: 971Department: Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public PolicySchool: Bloustein School
Urban Studies
InformationProgram Type: MinorProgram Code: 975Department: Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public PolicySchool: Bloustein School
Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies (BA)
InformationProgram Type: Minor, MajorProgram Code: 988Department: Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality StudiesSchool: SAS

I wouldn’t call RU world-class

RU is a top 20 public U and tied with UMD as #1 public U in the Northeast.

Relative to the Shop Rite Line Flavor of the Month Club, it's better than world class.

We're dealing with a state where a decent percentage thinks a degree from the Cult, JMU, Clemson, University of Tampa, and Villanova is brag worthy- which ofc isn't the view of employers and grad schools, but those concerns are tertiary to these people.

Reactions: bigmatt718
USN & WR world university rankings has Rutgers ranked #143. I believe 55 is the US number.
That pathetic ranking system is designed to favor private schools and is significantly manipulated. Now, you can argue that Rutgers should work harder to appear better in that USN&WR ranking and manipulate it like everyone else... but that wouldn't actually make Rutgers a better university.

Reactions: RUTGERS95

Other than the truly noteable UK and Canadian Us like Oxford, Cambridge, London School of Economics, McGill, U of Toronto...most foreign Us are not going to carry major weight in the US and don't really have a significant US contingent.

Could change with more Americans acquiring foreign passports in recent years with access to free college elsewhere. But we're not there yet.

Now, if my kid got into Oxford or McGill, that's something brag-worthy. But I've never seen those flags on houses in Spring Lake and Sea Girt. University of South Carolina though...wow...that's flag worthy!

Call BS all you want. You’ll be wrong. This is where families are. Compare total costs. Because a counselor suggests a student apply to RU doesn’t change the fact that schools like Rowan have made major gains on RU when it comes to the in state families market. Like I said 20-40 years ago, RU was a much better option for in state families. Now other in state schools, especially Rowan are quickly closing and out of state schools are becoming better option. Especially schools towards the south. Not sure why this seems to be hitting a nerve with some people. RU just is not as highly regarded as a value option for Nj families as it was in the past.
Families are making a huge mistake if they are opting for Rowan or the TCNJ instead of Rutgers.

Whomever they are letting influence them are wrong. Can’t stop them from making the wrong decisions but don’t pretend it’s the right decision.

This is plainly false.

In state Rowan tuition and fees: $14,951
Room and Board: $15,956

RU tuition and fees: $16,263
Room and Board: $13,909

RU is cheaper by less than a grand.

Rowan is a great option...for kids who get rejected from RU and parents who are smart enough to not waste their money on a OOS degree that will impress no one.

Families are making a huge mistake if they are opting for Rowan or the TCNJ instead of Rutgers.

Whomever they are letting influence them are wrong. Can’t stop them from making the wrong decisions but don’t pretend it’s the right decision.
Lol grad school admissions officers will be far more interested with Rutgers on the resume over Rowan or TCNJ on the resume. The Rutgers name carries way more weight there.

Lol grad school admissions officers will be far more interested with Rutgers on the resume over Rowan or TCNJ on the resume. The Rutgers name carries way more weight there.

TCNJ is essentially a college while RU (obviously) is a university. In most cases RU is the way to go, but if someone wants a smaller school liberal arts focus or the 7 year BA/MD program TCNJ offers they might make a different decision.

Your subjective opinion is pretty meaningless without any stats or facts. You'll also have to do a better job with the math you've conveyed regarding differences between Rowan and RU:

2023-24
Rutgers Tuition = $13,674 plus ~$3,300 in fees = ~$17K Room & Board = ~$14K
Rowan Tuition = $11,250 plus ~$4400 in fees = ~$15.6K Room & Board = ~$15.5K

As with healthcare, the profit motive needs to be extracted from the basics. Not that plastic surgery or fancy private schools should be free, but cancer treatment and in state tuition, abs
Watever the details we need solutions already instead of headstrong pr*cks wedded to their precious ideology. Case in point: Tommy Tuberville, standing alone in the Senate blocking important appointments because HE believes something. That's great but this is a democracy. Work together or get f ck out.

Your subjective opinion is pretty meaningless without any stats or facts. You'll also have to do a better job with the math you've conveyed regarding differences between Rowan and RU:

2023-24
Rutgers Tuition = $13,674 plus ~$3,300 in fees = ~$17K Room & Board = ~$14K
Rowan Tuition = $11,250 plus ~$4400 in fees = ~$15.6K Room & Board = ~$15.5K
Nj Kids get way more grant money at Rowan than RU. Rowan has made that their business model for almost a decade now. True cost of attendance is about 10k less per year. I personally know numerous families of kids who have Rowan degrees and been accepted to Ivy grad schools and even RU for grad school. RU is easily the best grad school in the state because of their offerings and research opportunities. As for in state undergrad as some great deal, not really. Not what is was years ago for sure. The other state schools aren’t for students who don’t get into Ru. I’ve seen plenty get into Rowan that didn’t for RU and the other way too. Depends on the year and the priorities each school puts on desired class characteristics. Heck I’ve seen a kid get into Princeton and waitlisted at RU.

1/2 of NJ is commutable to Rutgers New Brunswick.

Tuition and Fees is $17k.

World class education for $68k for four years.

Ponder that.
Yeah , I mean where else can you pay 68k to have a great economic professor like killingsworth not understand the value of big time athletics to a university

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT