ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Nebraska / Game Thread

That's my point. And next year we will be "much better" again. And be even more competitive.

Anyone who thought this was a 2 year fix is out of their minds.
Nobody thought this was a 2 year fix, people thought Ash was a good coach, week in and week out we are seeing with our eyes how bad is his in-game judgment is and how little our offense improves. But nice strawman argument.

It is a talent issue. Rutgers is forced to play a lot of guys who have no business being on the field. You cant hide this many untalented players.
Purdue has made the most of what they have on both sides of the ball, Rutgers has not. Rutgers looks unprepared and lost. The offense has not even gotten close to optimizing the offense to the players we have. There is no chemistry on offense at all. No big play potential.

That's my point. And next year we will be "much better" again. And be even more competitive.

I certainly didn't think we'd be fixed in 2 years. But this was a winnable game and we blew it. Next week we're going to be blown out. I hope we find a way to beat Illinois on the road because aside from possibly the Maryland game, there are no wins that wouldn't be considered major upsets on the schedule.

Reactions: scarlet_ty
Ash is clearly content to play close games. I actually wouldn't care if we were playing freshmen all over the field but we're not. We play mostly upperclassmen.

I certainly didn't think we'd be fixed in 2 years. But this was a winnable game and we blew it. Next week we're going to be blown out. I hope we find a way to beat Illinois on the road because aside from possibly the Maryland game, there are no wins that wouldn't be considered major upsets on the schedule.

So we are supposed to win every winnable game or u won't be happy? Yes, game was winnable. Stinks we lost but encouraging to see us leading for much of game..and yes that makes losing much harder. But We were at rock bottom last year..huge improvement

Last year we lose by 30 to this team. Again, only complaint I have is he should start Lewis..and should've hired a real OC. But not giving up on him after 3 years.

Schiano couldn't beat West Virginia one time in eleven tries and people think he'd be doing far better in the Big Ten East against Ohio State and Michigan.
At least he can beat someone else. Can we get a win against a FBS team?

Reactions: redking
Schiano couldn't beat West Virginia one time in eleven tries and people think he'd be doing far better in the Big Ten East against Ohio State and Michigan.
Schiano is the best coach Rutgers ever had and most likely ever will have. He made watching Rutgers football enjoyable, name another coach who has done that in like the last 30 years???

So we are supposed to win every winnable game or u won't be happy? Yes, game was winnable. Stinks we lost but encouraging to see us leading for much of game..and yes that makes losing much harder. But We were at rock bottom last year..huge improvement

Last year we lose by 30 to this team. Again, only complaint I have is he should start Lewis..and should've hired a real OC. But not giving up on him after 3 years.
Good for you. Doesn't take much. Wish I can be more like you.

We can't lose every winnable game either! Penn State 2014, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, all 2016, now Nebraska 2017...all losses

Purdue has made the most of what they have on both sides of the ball, Rutgers has not. Rutgers looks unprepared and lost. The offense has not even gotten close to optimizing the offense to the players we have. There is no chemistry on offense at all. No big play potential.
Exactly. Too many excuses when Purdue and Maryland has looked well in their games as of late. Ash is not the answer period. He always looks lost or confused and it shows with how we play. The coaching/playcalling has been brutal. A decent head coach with our players would've found a way to win. Our only win looks to be Maryland at this point and only because they are now on their 3rd string QB. 15 games and no win against a BIG team is atrocious. Ash sets records, just not the right ones.

Reactions: RUaMoose

We can't lose every winnable gane either! Penn State 2014, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, all 2016, now Nebraska 2017...all losses

Weren't we the worst team in history last year (as one poster put it)..wouldn't call any of those 3 winnable.

PSU wasn't under Ash..so not sure the point

No, but a B1G win once a year would be nice. I'm not giving up but I'm not as positive as you about our current situation. I especially hate the "play not to lose big" mentality Ash seems to display. Maybe I'll feel better about it tomorrow but this one stings.

Game was winnable. This was not a talent or depth loss. This was a coaching loss. Sorry but looking like Ash not the answer. No different than Iowa, Minny, Illinois last year. Hurts.

Better not throw the punter under the bus again. MVP of game.

Special team coach cost us the game.

No, but a B1G win once a year would be nice. I'm not giving up but I'm not as positive as you about our current situation. I especially hate the "play not to lose big" mentality Ash seems to display. Maybe I'll feel better about it tomorrow but this one stings.

Agree with the play not to lose mentality. Don't like that either. And yes I agree this stings. Cause we could have won.

And the fact we could have won is what excites me.

Reactions: Block R
Agree with the play not to lose mentality. Don't like that either. And yes I agree this stings. Cause we could have won.

And the fact we could have won is what excites me.

We couldn't have won. Not playing this way. We got 1 first down in the second half before the very end.

That's called non competitive.

A couple of questions:

in our opening drive, we cut through them like a hot knife through butter. Then it seemed like we never ran the same plays again or at least couldn't make them succeed. Did Nebraska make some subtle defensive adjustment after the first series.

It seemed to me that just about everytime Nebraska had a running play, the pile kept moving in their favor. Are their backs exceptionally strong? It seemed to take forever to get them down. Or is our tackling just bad?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT