ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Women's Basketball Hosts Saint Francis Saturday Afternoon

Well I’m here - sparse crowd.
Busy afternoon for me, after ladies going to Hillsboro for granddaughter’s soccer game, then back to the RAC for men tonight

After 1, 24-7
Settled down, only 1 more to.
Shooting 7/15, 3/6 from 3. Two by Thompson and one for Huerter

After 3, 62-40.
Thomoson (14 points and Huerta (12) both have four threes. 9/21 on threes as a team. 15/16 from the line, 19/45 shooting. Rebounds 34-25.
Still too many to 15 for game so far.

Cornwall and Adams now on double figures 11 each.
72-45 4:44 left.
15 Assists on 23 makes

A nice response following some disappointing performances against SH and Auburn. From the start, they showed the defensive intensity that's we've come to expect. Looks like they put in the time on shooting that is necessary to be successful on game day.

Although the opponent could not really provide any resistance defensively, the game did provide for our team to take a necessary step in its growth process. Hopefully, they are closer to realizing their identity as a team. We're definitely not going to overpower teams in the post. We've got to be a knock-down three pt shooting, scrappy team. I think most of us recognize that this group is bringing more to the table in terms of shooting ability than past teams. We will usually have 5 on the floor who are capable from the arc. Chyna is the only one who doesn't shoot them, but we know she more than makes up for that in the post.

The shooting is the key for us this season. It will win us some games. It will keep us in any game.

Turnovers and sloppy play again in the 2nd quarter. To me it seems like they were forcing the ball inside instead of taking what the soft zone defense gave. They were able to have plenty of success yesterday because St F had no height. Even with no height, our posts often turned the ball over because it was too congested. They passed up open looks from the arc to force the play.

Against better teams, I say, we have to be ready to shoot teams out of the gym if they want to play a zone on us as teams have done for years when we didn't have good shooters.

It was nice seeing Lisa and Jillian confirming what we thought about their abilities and that they are going to be major contributors this year. I was overjoyed to see Antonia finally get her confidence lifted and have success. When the three of them are hitting shots, along with Mya and Kaylene who are already pretty consistent from three, it really makes this a dangerous team.

This can be a really fun season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT