ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Women's Basketball Readies to Face Fairfield

Ugly first quarter 14-34. Fairfield shooting lights out from 3. 8/11. RUwith 7 turnovers.

31-47 at half. Fairfield 9/21 from 3. RU not shooting badly11/24, 5/13 from 3. 14 to are a killer. RU up on rebounds 18-17.

41-62 after 3.
F has cooled off from 3 now9/28, but RU has 20 turnovers. Can’t get offense going against zone

Extremely concerning result. To give up 34 points in the first quarter and never be in the game is inexcusable. It’s going to take more than a few years to fully right this program.

Yes CVS did leave the cupboard bare. Coquise has a tough rebuild on her hands. What concerned me watching tonight was the poor body language of our girls. There was no fight by anyone. With 24 turnovers you are not going to beat anyone as ball handling was terrible.

Fairfield is extremely well coached. I’d like to hire her. Sorry to be negative, but I can see the writing on the wall.
Mike Thibault's daughter, I believe. Lots of experience. She's an up and comer for sure, no one wants to stay at Fairfield for too long.

I won't be so negative as to think Rutgers will necessarily be looking for a new coach in the near future. But -

- Rutgers needs to pick up on the recruiting and portal - I'm not around but I don't see much buzz here about it and the team is a bit short-handed I think. And from what I'm reading they are just not playing at a high level.
- You can't be losing to the Fairfield's of the world, they are not "that" good. Crappy losses kill the buzz.
- It looks like attendance is awful at home games. This can't possibly help

It does take a couple years to build a program, so all you really need to see is signs that it is moving in the right direction. Far too early this season to judge, and as noted above, the cupboard didn't have a lot in it.

Reactions: biker7766
Mike Thibault's daughter, I believe. Lots of experience. She's an up and comer for sure, no one wants to stay at Fairfield for too long.
Seems like I remember either her or maybe a sibling stepping in HC spot temporarily for either another major college program or a WNBA team. ???
Which ever it was, a respectable job was done.

You're right, she is gonna be snatched up quick from Fairfield.

Seems like I remember either her or maybe a sibling stepping in HC spot temporarily for either another major college program or a WNBA team. ???
Which ever it was, a respectable job was done.

You're right, she is gonna be snatched up quick from Fairfield.

Had to look it up. It was us who suffered an L from her first appearance as a HC. It's all coming back now. The misery.😔

I won't be so negative as to think Rutgers will necessarily be looking for a new coach in the near future. But -

- Rutgers needs to pick up on the recruiting and portal - I'm not around but I don't see much buzz here about it and the team is a bit short-handed I think. And from what I'm reading they are just not playing at a high level.
- You can't be losing to the Fairfield's of the world, they are not "that" good. Crappy losses kill the buzz.
- It looks like attendance is awful at home games. This can't possibly help

It does take a couple years to build a program, so all you really need to see is signs that it is moving in the right direction. Far too early this season to judge, and as noted above, the cupboard didn't have a lot in it.
The cupboard had very very little but with the portal and recruiting we should not should not get crushed by the Fiarfields of the world!! Another troubling sign is we only signed one recruit in the early period and she is not a top 100 and almost all of the girls are signed so there is no evidence that we are even going to be headed in the right direction and I hope Hobbs sees the error of his ways in this hire and moves on quickly or we are going to be mired in this predicament for many more years; in basketball it shouldn't take that long to right the ship or at least show some signs of life and we are showing none!!

Although we all have concerns, we have to remember, we are not even a season and a half into Coach's tenure. I would think a 3 year minimum, before any consideration of change, is deserved for any head coach, provided there's no scandal or total ineptitude. No signs of either is present here.

Reactions: MADHAT1
The saddest part is, while it’s hard to follow a legend such as cvs, she help crater the program and that whole Covid post Covid fiasco and her “disappearance” did not help the program gain traction. At one point RU was a true elite program 5-10 in the country. It is hard to keep that up, and getting harder but we are in trouble. Perhaps Coach W can right the ship…but I would not withhold breath! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah the time away was so weird - can’t believe Hobbs let that happen. Killer to recruiting.

I truly believe that coach Stringer had all intentions on coming back but whatever was keeping her out, ultimately led to her retirement (she looked really good at the Liberty game a couple of weeks ago and she was rocking Rutgers gear). Coach Co may turn it around but the recruiting is concerning.
Was it ever suggested that Coach Stringer receive an administrative job or coach emeritus status? It couldn’t hurt and people still revere her in the wbb community.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Yeah the time away was so weird - can’t believe Hobbs let that happen. Killer to recruiting.
Hobbs did not let that happen he wanted to get rid of her 5 years ago or so but CVS basically held Rutgers and Hobbs hostage because of one thing MONEY and she knew he couldn’t fire her would have been a PR disaster any which way
Even the way she finally left was a disaster waiting so long that we had no chance in the portal or recruiting last year
She didn’t give a crap about the team or the program and left us in a very very deep hole

I won’t pretend to know squat on WBB, but empirically this seems like a major blunder by Hobbs.
Too early to tell. She has gotten some talent into the program, but needs to up the pace of infusing more talent. Her perceived lack of urgency to the fan base in that context is more concerning. Her and her staff need to up the game on recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT