ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestle Off Thread

Enough about Jojo. He had a concussion last week and could not wrestle today. Hopefully he can wrestle on Nov 7 or the 14th. He is a good kid working hard, getting better but crap happens.
None of this above would have happened if Coach just mentioned JoJo was not available. He mentioned 3 other wrestlers by name and said they weren’t (or probably weren’t) available. If concussion happened last week then he knew this week he wouldn’t be available.

Yes fans are suspicious when a top 10 overall recruit wasn’t in the wrestle-offs after not getting any matches the year before when there were extra matches and the year didn’t count.

Thanks for the info. It seems like everyone has it out for him.
It’s a bit of a package deal that comes hand in hand with high expectations. For me, I’ve moved on from the HS resume and have more of an I’ll believe it when I see it expectation. Not in a negative way, more of a recognition that there is a huge jump from NJSIAA to big10 and the progression is often not linear. I wish the best for him and anyone else in the room. But once you’re in that room, HS resumes don’t mean much. Everyone in the room is a D1 wrestler with aspirations and doesn’t care what your trophy case looks like before you set foot on campus. You still have to earn it in the room.

Enough about Jojo. He had a concussion last week and could not wrestle today. Hopefully he can wrestle on Nov 7 or the 14th. He is a good kid working hard, getting better but crap happens.
Thank you, Bill. You see what happens when there is a lack of sharing information? Had the team (coach or...) shared that, you likely wouldn't have seen most of the posts here about him. It shouldn't have to come from you. And I still wonder which it is: poor communication, privacy, or secrecy. All lead to speculation. The fans just want to know what's going on. I've been asking, ad nauseam, for a better flow of information in the spirit of increasing excitement and interest in the team.

When he returns in November, will he compete for a starting position, redshirt, or be a backup? Regardless of which, we all want to see him competing.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
None of this above would have happened if Coach just mentioned JoJo was not available. He mentioned 3 other wrestlers by name and said they weren’t (or probably weren’t) available. If concussion happened last week then he knew this week he wouldn’t be available.

Yes fans are suspicious when a top 10 overall recruit wasn’t in the wrestle-offs after not getting any matches the year before when there were extra matches and the year didn’t count.
Absolutely correct.

The one who might benefit most from redshirt is White. Oliveri and Peterson reclassed in HS. White Poz and ONeil didn’t, but the latter two got the free year last year. If he’s close with VanBrill, give him the extra year to develop.

Reactions: RU93 and dollarbill
The one who might benefit most from redshirt is White. Oliveri and Peterson reclassed in HS. White Poz and ONeil didn’t, but the latter two got the free year last year. If he’s close with VanBrill, give him the extra year to develop.
You cannot reclass in NJSIAA high schools. They may have repeated 8th grade but prior to High School.
Coach Goodale has mentioned that he really thinks this team can score a lot of points at the Nationals, so in my opinion, he will put out the best team possible. I think MVB will start, with JoJo and White in redshirt and compete in open tournaments. If they feel one of those two is the better option, their redshirt will be pulled. I also feel Peterson will do very well in the opens and it will be too hard to keep him in redshirt and he will be the guy 2nd semester.

You cannot reclass in NJSIAA high schools. They may have repeated 8th grade but prior to High School.
Coach Goodale has mentioned that he really thinks this team can score a lot of points at the Nationals, so in my opinion, he will put out the best team possible. I think MVB will start, with JoJo and White in redshirt and compete in open tournaments. If they feel one of those two is the better option, their redshirt will be pulled. I also feel Peterson will do very well in the opens and it will be too hard to keep him in redshirt and he will be the guy 2nd semester.
We know what reclass means. White didn’t.

We know what reclass means. White didn’t.
No big deal....but you are the one who said they reclassed in HS.....prep schools sometimes reclass during HS. And it is probably over 50% of athletes either start kindergarten a year late or stay back a grade during K-8 so it is way more common in the last decade. I know that Poz, White and of course AA did not.

Reactions: CollegeFBfan
50% seems like a really high number. I don’t think it’s that high. Unless you mean just prospective D1 wrestlers

50% seems like a really high number. I don’t think it’s that high. Unless you mean just prospective D1 wrestlers
It really is not high. A lot of boys start kindergarten late or hold back in a later grade. If wrestlers are at or over 50% so are other sports(and so are average athletes as some just start their children later to have them be a little older) Returning state champs that either started late or held back a grade is 8 of 14 weights. This has been a consistent number for years.

Where are you getting these numbers from? Interesting trend if true but I’ve never heard this before. I know it happens but half seems like a lot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT