ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Rutgers Wrestling adds Arizona State transfer Nick Raimo

Lex Knapp

All Conference
Staff
Mar 27, 2018
Coach Goodale tweeted out "BOOM!" today, meaning only one thing: another RU wrestling commitment!

The newest addition comes through the transfer portal, by way of Arizona State University. Nick Raimo, a New Jersey native, has given his commitment to the Rutgers wrestling program. Raimo was a two-time NJSIAA state champion, four-time Fargo national champion, and comes to Rutgers wrestling with four years of eligibility remaining. Raimo will be competing for the 133-lb starting job, which has since opened up with Sammy Alvarez moving up in weight.

For more on Raimo's commitment, click on the link below for TKR's story on RU wrestling's latest addition!

Good pickup. Has a high ceiling and is an extremely hard worker, but my expectations are tempered based on his limited college performance and injuries. Hope he's healthy and can be a multiple times AA for us.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Wng, you are like those commercials for the new and improved Boot Jack. But wait there’s more ! If you buy a Boot Jack in the next ten minutes, we will give at no extra charge this set of really sharp knives !

Reactions: mjckrash
133/141/149 will be exciting next year no matter who wrestles there

Wrestlers with Redshirts left:
Alvarez/Aragona/Turley/Poznanski

Next year
125: Shawver is a RS Freshman
133/141: Nick Raimo is a RS Freshman
157: Kanniard is a RS Freshman
174 is a True Sophomore
184 is a True Freshman
197 is a RS Sophomore
285 has 3 years to wrestle (Boone) and Hamilton has 5 to wrestle 4

With the exception of Seabass, MVB or Grello, the team is very young.

This is not counting 149: Aragona is a True Sophomore and Angelo a sophomore?

The steel to sharpen these wrestlers:
Donny P
Myles Martin
A. Ashnault
T Graff

Future looks bright

With or without a transfer, would be surprised if Donner came back for another year. A lot of money to pay to come back to wrestle.
Not necessarily. He could theoretically enroll in one grad level class and be eligible to wrestle. Could cost less than 3k + whatever he spends on housing.

Not necessarily. He could theoretically enroll in one grad level class and be eligible to wrestle. Could cost less than 3k + whatever he spends on housing.

You have to be a full time graduate student to participate in NCAA sports. And wrestling is a two semester sport, so whatever 9 graduate credits costs at RU for the Fall and Spring semester would be the cost

You have to be a full time graduate student to participate in NCAA sports. And wrestling is a two semester sport, so whatever 9 graduate credits costs at RU for the Fall and Spring semester would be the cost
Wrestling is probably going to switch to a one semester sport permanently. I didn’t think you had to be a full time student either unless rules have changed. Years ago, Matt Leinart was only enrolled in ballroom dancing

Wrestling is probably going to switch to a one semester sport permanently. I didn’t think you had to be a full time student either unless rules have changed. Years ago, Matt Leinart was only enrolled in ballroom dancing
12 credits per semester as an undergrad and 9 credits as a graduate student. And I agree wrestling will eventually be a one semester sport, but doubt next year as the dates and venues are all reserved. The NCAA moves at a snails pace.

Shawver is a true freshmen.

Aguilar will be a RS Junior. He had a terrible season but I think he's a good deph guy or could challenge for the spot if he gets focused and gets stronger.

Shawver will be working this off-season. He too needs to get stronger. But he beat McKee who took 3rd, so the potential is great for him.

165 is the major hole. I pray it's not Donner. I know he and Grello are probably great people, but I just don't think they have it. Whether it's talent or the killer instinct.

A 165 transfer or Clark/O'Neil development would be great.

I think a 197 backup is probably needed too. Epperly will be a soph.

Side note: it appears MVB is looking to put muscle on. His latest IG story is a workout vid that says "Gain SZN 149-163" which may be an indication of him adding weight.

Last edited:
Shawver is a true freshmen.

Aguilar will be a RS Junior. He had a terrible season but I think he's a good deph guy or could challenge for the spot if he gets focused and gets stronger.

Shawver will be working this off-season. He too needs to get stronger. But he beat McKee who took 3rd, so the potential is great for him.

165 is the major hole. I pray it's not Donner. I know he and Grello are probably great people, but I just don't think they have it. Whether it's talent or the killer instinct.

A 165 transfer or Clark/O'Neil development would be great.

I think a 197 backup is probably needed too. Epperly will be a soph.

Side note: it appears MVB is looking to put muscle on. His latest IG story is a workout vid that says "Gain SZN 149-163" which may be an indication of him adding weight.
If MVB lives in the weight room and drinks protein shakes 3-4x a day, I'd be good with him at 165.

Need a 165 transfer in the portal, whether it's Griffith or someone else. Going with Donner again is punting on the weight for the 3rd year in a row at least.
Actually it'll be the 4th year. I still don't consider moving Glasgow up a weight class with what ever injury he had as ever being a viable option. It truly is confounding how this weight class has become such an enigma for our coaching staff.

Last edited:
Actually it'll be the 5th year. I still don't consider moving Glasgow up a weight class with what ever injury he had as ever being a viable option. It truly is confounding how this weight class has become such an enigma for our coaching staff.

I just watched the match where he beat Griffith. Such a waste of wrestling talent.

Actually it'll be the 5th year. I still don't consider moving Glasgow up a weight class with what ever injury he had as ever being a viable option. It truly is confounding how this weight class has become such an enigma for our coaching staff.
Literally when was the last time 165 was a weight we were strong in? Richie Lewis/senior year of Perrotti? Gotta get Griffith at all costs.

Reactions: KidDagger
That is not true !

What is not true?

From the NCAA Manual
A student-athlete who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of the same institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree, a student-athlete who is enrolled and seeking a second baccalaureate or equivalent degree at the same institution, or a student-athlete who has graduated and is continuing as a fulltime student at the same institution while taking course work that would lead to the equivalent of another major or degree as defined and documented by the institution, may participate in intercollegiate athletics, provided the student has eligibility remaining and such participation occurs within the applicable five-year period set forth in

Literally when was the last time 165 was a weight we were strong in? Richie Lewis/senior year of Perrotti? Gotta get Griffith at all costs.

2021 - Donner (1 - 6)
2020 - Donner (18 - 17)
2019 - Glasgow (7 - 9), Donner (7 - 4), Oliveri (4 - 10)
2018 - Lewis (21 - 6)
2017 - Pafumi (9 - 12), Scott (16 - 9), Painton (9 - 10)
2016 - Perrotti (25 - 6), Pagano (19 - 12)

2021 - Donner (1 - 6)
2020 - Donner (18 - 17)
2019 - Glasgow (7 - 9), Donner (7 - 4), Oliveri (4 - 10)
2018 - Lewis (21 - 6)
2017 - Pafumi (9 - 12), Scott (16 - 9), Painton (9 - 10)
2016 - Perrotti (25 - 6), Pagano (19 - 12)
Good research. So...yeah...pretty much neglected 165 outside of Lewis/Perrotti. Gotta rectify that.

Are there wrestlers that are known to not be returning? Given that virtually all are eligible to return, combined with incoming, my roster count is 40. That would require a 25% cut. I don't really expect to see everyone return but it would be nice to know those who won't. I can make my own predictions, which would leave the roster at around 32 - much more manageable.

Are there wrestlers that are known to not be returning? Given that virtually all are eligible to return, combined with incoming, my roster count is 40. That would require a 25% cut. I don't really expect to see everyone return but it would be nice to know those who won't. I can make my own predictions, which would leave the roster at around 32 - much more manageable.

I am not sure(have not gotten the answer) if the "seniors" that come back count towards the roster spots. Their scholarship money does not count against the 9.9.

For what it is worth I have heard Griffith plans on wrestling 174 where ever he ends up.

Reactions: MS-RU
For what it is worth I have heard Griffith plans on wrestling 174 where ever he ends up.

That's very interesting as UM, PSU, nor RU have immediate openings at 174 so unless someone isn't coming back (i.e. Massa) that creates quite the situation at each place. UM has the biggest long term need at 174 but I don't know how you manage the 21/22 season though especially with Brucki coming back at 197 and Amine going 184, so they no flexibility there in the short term.

PSU is probably the worse off as they currently have NCs at 174 and 184 who are a RS freshman and a Sophomore respectively, so unless those guys are all going up and they are bumping Beard out at 197. I don't see how that works though especially with Facundo coming as well.

RU has a huge hole at 165 but 174 and 184 are strengths with you guys so I can't see anything happening there.

I wonder if that means there is a 4th team that might be in the driver's seat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT