ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Rutgers Wrestling adds Arizona State transfer Nick Raimo

I am not sure(have not gotten the answer) if the "seniors" that come back count towards the roster spots. Their scholarship money does not count against the 9.9.
I'm pretty sure you have to manage your 9.9 scholarship limit including any returning for the free year.

I'm pretty sure you have to manage your 9.9 scholarship limit including any returning for the free year.
The graduating seniors or athletes that have competed 4 years(Spencer Lee) can come back next season....they do not count towards the 9.9, BUT, it is up to each school if they want to fund their scholarship.

Reactions: obrats
The graduating seniors or athletes that have competed 4 years(Spencer Lee) can come back next season....they do not count towards the 9.9, BUT, it is up to each school if they want to fund their scholarship.
This. My son just went through it for baseball. It’s the same thing but with 11.7 for baseball. It’s up to the school on the extra year guys coming back. Obviously bigger schools have bigger budgets for most part.

Good grief, looking more like yet another year of absolutely nothing from 165. The recruiting of this weight class is becoming quite staggering at this point. At least I know when to take a piss once again next year.

We still have Conner O'Neil at 165.
Not sure how good he can be, but I think he was top 10 in his weight class in HS

Not sure how good he can be, but I think he was top 10 in his weight class in HS

Yes absent a transfer, he would seem to be our best internal candidate to improve our competitiveness at this weight class.

I was very high on Conner O'Neil coming in....and have always posted kids make their biggest jump in college after their freshman year....But this year did give me some pause on O'Neil, he went 0-4 and was not really competitive against other teams back-ups. Not ready to give up on him at all, but not sure if he will be ready next year to be a competitive starter.

Weaver at 160. Read an article on him yesterday quoted his father/coach that he’s on a mission, still pissed abt last year states. We’ll see
I'm high on Weaver long term, but he isn't (and most people aren't) as sound or dominate as Poz was so it's unfair to expect him to be the answer at the weight next year. He had his best season in high school thus far at 138 and he had some growing pains at 152 last year. Hopefully he has settled in at 160 and can win a state title this year, but he could definitely use a RS year to continue to get stronger and develop in the room.

He is very similar to Turley in the regard that is he always looking to score on the big move but sometimes it gets him in to trouble. Especially moving up in weight like last year, there were times when he was simply overpowered. With that being said, that level aggressiveness can't be taught and once he gets to his ideal weight with his sharpened skills, he could be another explosive/exciting wrestler just like Turley.

We also have Andrew Clark who wrestled 145 in high school and looked decent in his lone varsity match this year at 165. He looked small in the match so he hasn’t filled out his frame or maybe he was bumped up but he could also be a contributor.

Yeah, there are a bunch of young guys who have had success high levels of success at the high school level in O'Neill, Clark, Weaver, and maybe even Angelo, who should be fighting for the that spot unless that's where Kanniard ultimately wants to end up.

They could also look to bring in someone like Verkleeren from PSU since he is in the portal if Griffith goes elsewhere. He isn't a stud but he has 2 years left and is definitely an upgrade from what we have had there over the past few years as he was an average B1G starter and a NQ.

Verkeleeren was a 149 pounder for PSU
Right, but he could potentially bump up to 157 if Kanniard feels comfortable at 165 going forward. Point being, they have some potential/different options if they miss out on Griffith especially if he intends to go 174 and the they believe the young guys need more time to develop.

I think if Kannaird bumps up, we will see one of MVB, JoJo, or Angelo at 157

I'm high on Weaver long term, but he isn't (and most people aren't) as sound or dominate as Poz was so it's unfair to expect him to be the answer at the weight next year. He had his best season in high school thus far at 138 and he had some growing pains at 152 last year. Hopefully he has settled in at 160 and can win a state title this year, but he could definitely use a RS year to continue to get stronger and develop in the room.

He is very similar to Turley in the regard that is he always looking to score on the big move but sometimes it gets him in to trouble. Especially moving up in weight like last year, there were times when he was simply overpowered. With that being said, that level aggressiveness can't be taught and once he gets to his ideal weight with his sharpened skills, he could be another explosive/exciting wrestler just like Turley.
Poz and Turley were both top 50 class recruits and top 3 in their hs weight class nationally...

It’s good to hear Weaver is aggressive like Turley but Weaver, o’neil, Clark etc will need to show big improvements before we can expect them to start, let alone, be productive in the b10.

Verk would be a very solid addition if him or MVB could go 157(also bumping kanniard 165).
Otherwise, kind of log jammed at 149... still hoping jojo can put it all together(141/149) but that’s no gtd..

Reactions: MS-RU
I was very high on Conner O'Neil coming in....and have always posted kids make their biggest jump in college after their freshman year....But this year did give me some pause on O'Neil, he went 0-4 and was not really competitive against other teams back-ups. Not ready to give up on him at all, but not sure if he will be ready next year to be a competitive starter.

He was inconsistent in HS too and I expressed concerns with that and his offense, especially with the early exit at S32, but then he bounced back and won a state title, so I don't know what to think. Maybe things click? Definitely have low expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT