ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers wrestling coach Scott Goodale says he's not bothered by social media criticism

I appreciate the link but I'm not even gonna read it. Too many keyboard warriors not only here but everywhere. The amount of dedication and preparation our wrestlers/coaches go through is enough. Then to be blasted by the mass of experts is pretty inane. Most programs will have their ups and downs but our guys need our support. Fair criticism and discussion are just fine. At least our fans aren't as fickle as some on the basketball board.

Reactions: mikemessner
I appreciate the link but I'm not even gonna read it. Too many keyboard warriors not only here but everywhere. The amount of dedication and preparation our wrestlers/coaches go through is enough. Then to be blasted by the mass of experts is pretty inane. Most programs will have their ups and downs but our guys need our support. Fair criticism and discussion are just fine. At least our fans aren't as fickle as some on the basketball board.
Majority of people support Goodale, Pike, Schiano, etc. The ones who don’t are just louder.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Social media tends to amplify the loudest voices and those which trigger an emotional response. It doesn’t reward nuance. Yet most coaching discussions require some nuance.

The keyboard warriors that choose to hide behind their screen names have no idea how to run a D1 program.

Who's complacent.
No idea. I’m not close to the program and live in Texas but support Rutgers and New Jersey Wrestling. I participate in the Pin Pool and donate. I hope there is no complacency but even the best programs and or businesses have it and was making a general statement. I might even make the 5 hour drive to Tulsa for the Tournament.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
IMO
It is all about recruiting.
Current RU staff has proven they can take off the radar wrestlers to an ALL AMERICAN STATUS
Current RU Staff took an elite wrestler to 4x AA and a National Champion
Current RU STaff took an élite wrestler and he became a NC (Nick S.)
RU Staff has proven they can take a very good wrestler and get him over the hump to AA Status (Greg B.)
YEs, this staff may have some holes (Upper weight), but how did Greg B. get better?

Unfortunately, RU has never had an ample amount of Elite/Very good wrestlers on the team at the same time.

I did not even bother to read article.
Not sure who RU could realistically bring in to do a better job than Scott G or Donnie P has done the past 7 seasons.

No idea. I’m not close to the program and live in Texas but support Rutgers and New Jersey Wrestling. I participate in the Pin Pool and donate. I hope there is no complacency but even the best programs and or businesses have it and was making a general statement. I might even make the 5 hour drive to Tulsa for the Tournament.
If you're close to the program you already know that the staff isn't complacent. We aren't the best so we can't afford to be.

I hope you make it to Tulsa. Safe Travels

Everyone thinks we’re weak up top coaching wise, yet in the same breath think Soldano is our best chance to AA and Boone is among our most improved wrestlers since a year ago.

You guys are out of sync. The reconciliation stage does not start until after the weekend.

From last season. I'll just copy and paste each year, multiple times.
"Rutgers wrestling and this forum repeat the same stages every year. There's the manic stage where the enthusiasm is high and the expectations great. "This is our best line up ever". The rankings look good. There is some early success mixed with unexpected disappointment. The season gets rolling and there's great disappointment, rankings drop. The forum goes into a WTF discussion and questions what's going on and some coaching criticism. That is followed by reconciliation and support for the coaching. Then the manic stage starts again with the battle cry of "just wait until next year". Repeat from beginning."

I like to joke around and post ridiculous things but all jokes aside, fans aren't wrong to want success. It isn't negativity. At least not always. Nobody doubts everyone works very hard. Big ten division one is the top of the mountain. I like the coaches a lot. It isn't criticism to ask why we aren't winning? Or attracting recruits? Fans want to discuss these things. That's what fans do. Endless positivity is fine but it really isn't all that different from endless negativity. It's a choice based on mindset rather than performance.

I dont think equating the wrestling team to football is fair or honest. Football is currently a terrible product. Wrestling is successful. Nobody jokes about Rutgers wrestling like the do about football. At least they shouldnt anyway. If they do it isnt in good faith. The standard is a bit higher. That is a good thing!

Sorry, but when you’re getting paid pretty well to coach a sport, you have to take the criticism with the accolades, period. Right now the criticism from the outside is definitely understandable as the program has without question gone downhill since having 2 National Champs in 2019. Doesn’t mean it won’t go back up to that level again, I sure as hell hope and think it can under Goody, but it also doesn’t mean that you can’t criticize just because you’re not one of the people who sit mat-side.

• Haha

I dont think equating the wrestling team to football is fair or honest. Football is currently a terrible product. Wrestling is successful. Nobody jokes about Rutgers wrestling like the do about football. At least they shouldnt anyway. If they do it isnt in good faith. The standard is a bit higher. That is a good thing!
No, but there are similarities with regard to the challenges. Rutgers didn't take a serious approach to building the football program soon enough. They were hiring on the cheap, expecting to get great coaches from others' assistants. That can happen, but it didn't. What it did accomplish was a bad reputation that didn't attract top-rated players. I don't know that the football program ever landed a 5-star recruit. The last I looked, I didn't see any 4-stars, or at least the majority are 3-star. Hard to compete with the teams that consistently land 5-stars and many 4-stars.
https://247sports.com/college/rutgers/Season/2023-Football/Commits/
How do you compete when the roster can't?

In a similar way, Rutgers doesn't have a great reputation for attracting or developing wrestlers. Sure, there are a few examples that the clueless like pointing to, but there needs to be more and consistently more.

Reactions: TheKnightclub
His job is safe, Hobbs isn’t going to fire him, social media criticism is pointless. Mediocrity is the goal of Rutgers athletics.

• Haha
To say why we aren’t winning is puzzling. Have you checked our record the past 16 years? We have had winning records every year in dual meets and multiple All Americans. Sure a 10-7 dual did not satisfy us and a poor Big Ten record but it is not like this is a disaster. We have suffered from not recruiting a Suriano or Ashnault level athlete the past few years. Recruiting needs to improve and our young team needs to improve with age and experience!

Reactions: Leonard23
To say why we aren’t winning is puzzling. Have you checked our record the past 16 years? We have had winning records every year in dual meets and multiple All Americans. Sure a 10-7 dual did not satisfy us and a poor Big Ten record but it is not like this is a disaster. We have suffered from not recruiting a Suriano or Ashnault level athlete the past few years. Recruiting needs to improve and our young team needs to improve with age and experience!
Without pointing at anyone in particular what would you consider an acceptable improvement?

Reactions: gogs7
A the very least, I'd like Rutgers to be better than the 3rd best in NJ in the final standings
While I get it and want that as well but it’s a little misleading since we beat Princeton and Rider in the duals and are better programs. They both were fortunate to have 1 or 2 high end guys who scored a lot of points. The next years those programs will be in the dumps since all of those guys are leaving and no one else returning scored any points.

So it's an illusion? Like our arriving in the top ten?

I disagree. Coach said he understood when scoring matters most and he worked hard to set that standard for the program.

Duals should matter more. I love that Rutgers does well in duals and has an exciting atmosphere for them. Nevertheless, hanging our hats on dual success is going backwards. We had that before we had all Americans.

Reactions: KidDagger
Wrestling expectations should be similar to football.
We are very unlikely to win a team championship in either.

What are realistic goals?

Upper half of B10?
Semi Finalist (1 elite wrestler that we are 95% confidant will AA)
2 all Americans a year?
Top 15 NCAA?
Multiple AA's by individuals wrestlers?

These are all things we have done before
I would think no wrestler/coach is happy with this season.
I assume they will assess the year and see how to make them a more desirable destination
Alvarez was supposed to be a link to the AA/NS championship year.
That has not happened

There is potential for 2 to 4 wrestlers to AA next year, but nothing is a given.

I have never wrestled, but followed RU once Goodale came to RU (My son graduated that year and i would watch wrestlers in college that he had wrestled against).
I do not think a change of HC or AHC is warranted.
Ask me again next year if we have a similar season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT