ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA and ESPN Sign Media Rights Extension

RUevolution36

All American
Sep 18, 2006

Jan 4 (Reuters) - ESPN and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) have agreed to a $920 million, eight-year extension to their media rights deal that covers 40 championships including international rights to the "March Madness" college basketball tournament.

The deal has an annual average value of $115 million, which more than triples the amount ESPN paid on average each year to the association under the previous 14-year agreement, the NCAA said.

The agreement deepens ESPN's commitment to college sports, which have been part of the network's DNA since its launch in 1979. The new NCAA deal includes domestic rights to 21 women's and 19 men's championship events, including the high-profile women's basketball championship game, which last year drew 9.9 million viewers. It adds coverage of Division I men's and women's tennis team championships and the collegiate men's gymnastic championship.

In total, the deal encompasses 24,000 college games spanning more than 20 conferences - enough to provide content across a portfolio of media properties, including the ABC network, ESPN and the ESPN+ streaming service.

Live sports have proven a resilient audience draw, even at a time when television audiences are shrinking. In October, ESPN clinched the U.S. broadcast rights for TGL - a new prime-time golf league created by Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy.

The new NCAA agreement expands ESPN's digital rights, setting the stage for the network's eventual transition to streaming. Disney has said it is seeking minority partners, as the marquee sports network makes its digital leap.

"The NCAA has worked in earnest over the past year to ensure that this new broadcast agreement provides the best possible outcome for all NCAA championships, and in particular women's championships," said NCAA President Charlie Baker.

With the increase in value of the agreement, the association will explore revenue distribution units for the women's basketball tournament, the NCAA said.

The tie-up between the association and ESPN began in 1979, the year of ESPN's original network launch.

=============================================

More details here: https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/01/04/espn-ncaa-tv-rights-deal

Posted about this in the CFB tv ratings thread. There was talk of breaking out individual sports as separate packages because they had been doing well in ratings. In the end, they didn’t probably cause demand wasn’t high enough but they did get a triple in rights fees.

On a related note. Sounds like Fox is going to make a big play for the CFP.

I hope it gets split. I think it will between at least ESPN and Fox but I’d like to see a third like maybe CBS get a small piece too.

Reactions: RUTGERS95

ESPN sole rights holder?

Did Fox NBC and Amazon just not want to bid?
Yea posted that in one of the CFP threads. Numbers seemed kind of small to me but I don’t know anything. Saw the former Fox Sports prez make a similar comment about it too. It’s possible ESPN could sublicense some of the games out to Fox or whoever but I think the CFP wants to have approval of any such agreement.

I hope ESPN does not keep the rights...... having to deal with the SEC narrative gets tiring.....

I thought that was one of the things the BIG was trying to prevent.

I hope ESPN does not keep the rights...... having to deal with the SEC narrative gets tiring.....

I thought that was one of the things the BIG was trying to prevent.
This deal is for all sports Championships

This deal is for all sports Championships
The original post is about that but the CFP ESPN stuff was also posted as tangential news.

Report yesterday was ESPN was the only one coming up with enough money for the CFP. Prior reports had Fox willing to bid a massive number. So we’ll see which is true in some time. ESPN might sublicense some CFP games out as well.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Yea posted that in one of the CFP threads. Numbers seemed kind of small to me but I don’t know anything. Saw the former Fox Sports prez make a similar comment about it too. It’s possible ESPN could sublicense some of the games out to Fox or whoever but I think the CFP wants to have approval of any such agreement.

Not a fan of this schedule. I’d like to see the season wrapped up at least a week earlier.

Not a fan of this schedule. I’d like to see the season wrapped up at least a week earlier.
Yes plus then you wonder about portal and spring enrollment. No player has left a team in the playoffs but doesn’t meant it couldn’t happen in the future, especially for lower down the depth chart players.

I think at least the current week 0 needs to be week 1 but iirc one problem was prior scheduling of schools and that might need to be worked through first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT