ADVERTISEMENT

Pac 12 Media Rights - Conference Realignment

hoping we are competitive🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏... but would be very excited for RU vs. USC in Piscataway. And, for BBall, be pretty awesome to play UCLA at the RAC !!!!!
Knowing the B1G, and they already did this a couple of weeks ago, they would have those games at Met Life/ Yankee Stadium or at MSG.

Again, you're not looking at the big picture
OU & TX got out early with limited damage

Networks picking up part of $, B12 gets money, OU / TX get out

ACC schools already openly talking about uneven revenue sharing
You honestly think conference lasts 13 more years after unequal revenue sharing is discussed?

I rarely say trust me on this, but trust me when I say this... There's zero chance the ACC GOR stays in place until 2036

Nada, zero, zilch
LOL!!!!

I don't trust you.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Yes I've heard 2-3 years out, they could essentially "meet in the middle" and do 2029-2030. Again though, that devalues ESPN's properties as they'll continue falling farther behind the B1G/ACC

The open discussions about unequal revenue sharing are startling
They'll likely go nowhere, but it signals the beginning of the end for the ACC

Yes 2 to 3 years out ESPN/ABC will be concluding the new contract with the ACC.

Trust me.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

FOX has money too.

What does that mean.

When a business/organization provides money, it does so to maximize return on their investment.

If an investment doesn't make sense an organization will not spend its money.

The same applies to the Sports Business or Research Business.

The National Institute of Health (NIH) just came out with their TOP 10 funded Schools for fiscal year 2022.

NIH funding FY 2022:

#1 Johns Hopkins: $839.9 million
#2 UCSF: $823.8 million
#3 Pitt: $675.4 million
#4 Duke: $672.5 million
#5 Penn: $668.4 million
#6 Stanford: $651.5 million
#7 Michigan: $644.3 million
#8 Leidos Biomedical Research: $625.1 million
#9 Washington Univ. (St. Louis): $620.6 million
10 Columbia: $616.8 million

Only a couple of the above mentioned schools have won a National Championship but I don't think
it mattered to the NIH.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

What does that mean.

When a business/organization provides money, it does so to maximize return on their investment.

If an investment doesn't make sense an organization will not spend its money.

The same applies to the Sports Business or Research Business.

The National Institute of Health (NIH) just came out with their TOP 10 funded Schools for fiscal year 2022.

NIH funding FY 2022:

#1 Johns Hopkins: $839.9 million
#2 UCSF: $823.8 million
#3 Pitt: $675.4 million
#4 Duke: $672.5 million
#5 Penn: $668.4 million
#6 Stanford: $651.5 million
#7 Michigan: $644.3 million
#8 Leidos Biomedical Research: $625.1 million
#9 Washington Univ. (St. Louis): $620.6 million
10 Columbia: $616.8 million

Only a couple of the above mentioned schools have won a National Championship but I don't think
it mattered to the NIH.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I’ve never seen more words used to say less. You should just hope the Big XII wants a travel partner for WVU. Despite your NIH data.

Why would the SEC want FSU and Clemson when they have Florida and South Carolina in those states.

As far as the B1G, UCLA and USC will be pressuring them to go to the West Coast for more schools because they will be tired of being ISLAND SCHOOLS in the B1G.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Same reason they wanted Texas when Texas A & M was already there

$$$

Agree with his tweets.

Don't about the validity of this tweet but definitely feel it would likely be a super majority if not unanimous. The recent CFP agreement needed unanimity as well to alter the format before the contract expired and I could see a GOR being just as an important thing that would need unanimity among its members to alter or dissolve too.

Why would the SEC want FSU and Clemson when they have Florida and South Carolina in those states.

As far as the B1G, UCLA and USC will be pressuring them to go to the West Coast for more schools because they will be tired of being ISLAND SCHOOLS in the B1G.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
you're not serious right

NO wa
Agree with his tweets.

Don't about the validity of this tweet but definitely feel it would likely be a super majority if not unanimous. The recent CFP agreement needed unanimity as well to alter the format before the contract expired and I could see a GOR being just as an important thing that would need unanimity among its members to alter or dissolve too.

Spot on re
Agree with his tweets.

Spot on re. no school going at it alone
Will have to be a joint effort w/those schools who are getting shafted and have the most to lose

Couple of questions that probably aren't going to go over well (take your "Woe is Rutgers. Big Ten tossed us a life raft! We can't complain about our entry requirements!" bs argument and stuff it).

1. Where are all the "Big Ten saved USC and UCLA" posts? Sounds like the Big Ten tossed them a "life raft" as well. Certainly UCLA.

2. If (when?) all these other schools get added, are they also going to be give the "precedent" of no BTN buy-in? They'll also become immediate equal partners in all media revenue?

3. Have we seen exactly how much adding both USC AND UCLA together impacted the newly signed media deal? For example: Each team receives X (without USC and UCLA) v. each team receives Y (with USC and UCLA)? Still don't understand how adding both teams increased the media deal by so much that they fully covered their cost. Especially since Rutgers actually did that (and still had to pay a buy-in).

Couple of questions that probably aren't going to go over well (take your "Woe is Rutgers. Big Ten tossed us a life raft! We can't complain about our entry requirements!" bs argument and stuff it).

1. Where are all the "Big Ten saved USC and UCLA" posts? Sounds like the Big Ten tossed them a "life raft" as well. Certainly UCLA.

2. If (when?) all these other schools get added, are they also going to be give the "precedent" of no BTN buy-in? They'll also become immediate equal partners in all media revenue?

3. Have we seen exactly how much adding both USC AND UCLA together impacted the newly signed media deal? For example: Each team receives X (without USC and UCLA) v. each team receives Y (with USC and UCLA)? Still don't understand how adding both teams increased the media deal by so much that they fully covered their cost. Especially since Rutgers actually did that (and still had to pay a buy-in).
I can partially answer #3.

We can’t know that USC and UCLA covered their costs, because we weren’t in the negotiations, but since it DID happen in the middle of negotiations there is the possibility they did.

We KNOW Rutgers and Maryland did NOT immediately cover their overall costs because they were added in the middle of a TV contract (not the beginning of a new one like USC and UCLA). They immediately made the BTN more money but they were dilutive to the regular ESPN/Fox contracts. The B1G decision to not rework their deals hurt RU in the short term, but was a great overall financial decision.

You can see the alternative with the ACC, where they reworked/extended their ESPN deal every time they added a team, and now they have 12 more years to go on a contract with ESPN where they are paid below market value.

Nick, ran across this last week (from back in August). Don't know if it still applies or not. Or what but here it is.

Hobbs told NJ Advance Media top officials at Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska are working with the Big Ten in order to address the previous financial inequities going forward.

“We’re actually looking at all of that right now,” he said. “Obviously the conference, in the financial integration for USC and UCLA, made the decision that it was in the best interest of the conference to bring them in as full-share members. Ourselves, Maryland and Nebraska came in under a financial integration model and there were things done then in order to try to make sure that we could be competitive. In the interest of fairness and equity, the conference, along with the presidents and chancellors, are taking a look at Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska specifically to make sure that in this new (16-team) world that we have that some level of fairness and equity gets returned to Rutgers and those two schools.”

Nick, ran across this last week (from back in August). Don't know if it still applies or not. Or what but here it is.

Hobbs told NJ Advance Media top officials at Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska are working with the Big Ten in order to address the previous financial inequities going forward.

“We’re actually looking at all of that right now,” he said. “Obviously the conference, in the financial integration for USC and UCLA, made the decision that it was in the best interest of the conference to bring them in as full-share members. Ourselves, Maryland and Nebraska came in under a financial integration model and there were things done then in order to try to make sure that we could be competitive. In the interest of fairness and equity, the conference, along with the presidents and chancellors, are taking a look at Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska specifically to make sure that in this new (16-team) world that we have that some level of fairness and equity gets returned to Rutgers and those two schools.”
I definitely agree that since the three additions the B1G has had nothing but financial success, there should be some kind of prorated rebate of a significant portion of the buy-in each school had to live through.

What are you talking about? USC and UCLA had they stayed in the PAC would be looking at a yearly media income of $30-40 million a year in a P5 conference with ties to the Rose Bowl. We would have ended up in the American conference making about $7 million a year and ties to the St. Petersburg Bowl, or whatever other crappy minor league Florida league bowl affiliated with the American. USC is a national football brand and UCLA has won 5 Rose Bowls and also won 11 basketball championships. We all love Rutgers without question, but please, let's stop with this defensive inferiority complex and accept what we are and who we are. We brought the largest media market in the country to the B1G and little else.

Last edited:

A retweet by footballscoop and I've said the same above. There has to be motivation for the lower status schools to do anything and the only motivation I can think of is a further extension of the GOR. Otherwise, you just ride the horse til it drops and deal with it then.

What are you talking about? USC and UCLA had they stayed in the PAC would be looking at a yearly media income of $30-40 million a year in a P5 conference with ties to the Rose Bowl. We would have ended up in the American conference making about $7 million a year and ties to the St. Petersburg Bowl, or whatever other crappy minor league Florida league bowl affiliated with the American. USC is a national football brand and UCLA has won 5 Rose Bowls and also won 11 basketball championships. We all love Rutgers without question, but please, let's stop with this defensive inferiority complex and accept what we are and who we are. We brought the largest media market in the country to the B1G and little else.

"We brought the largest media market in the country to the B1G and little else".
Little else? There is nothing else needed.
The only reason conferences expand is to increase media money from partners.

If the PAC12 is so great then why are USC/UCLA jumping ship and literally joining a conference with teams 2 time zones away? Abandoning their historic partners and literally causing a political issue within the UC system? Making $40m compared to $80m-$100m? Sounds like they were looking for a "life raft" as well.

List all the USC/UCLA accomplishments you want - meaningless for helping the PAC-12 stay relevant apparently.
What about all the historic accomplishments of Texas and Oklahoma? How was that helping the Big 12 stay together?

Let's stop with this inferiority complex and accept that the Big Ten selected us over every other available school at the time. That's who we are. Yes, "we brought the largest media market in the country to the B1G and little else". Because we didn't need to bring anything else.

The B1G selected us because of our market. It's that simple.

USC and UCLA are very easy sells because of their incredible success. But they too were brought because of their market.

Other PAC teams that don't bring value will not be added. It's entirely revenue driven. It's just business guys.

Does anyone know if a MAJORITY can dissolve the GOR? It’s been asked on twitter before, but no one seems to know the answer.

Because imo, easiest way to break GOR is 4 teams to B1G, 4 teams to SEC. Majority dissolves. They are 4 we’d each want. But since ESPN essentially owns both SEC & ACC, they’re probably putting brakes on that.

Does anyone know if a MAJORITY can dissolve the GOR? It’s been asked on twitter before, but no one seems to know the answer.

Because imo, easiest way to break GOR is 4 teams to B1G, 4 teams to SEC. Majority dissolves. They are 4 we’d each want. But since ESPN essentially owns both SEC & ACC, they’re probably putting brakes on that.
they can but why would the smaller/less successful schools do so?

it's not that simple

I’ve never seen more words used to say less. You should just hope the Big XII wants a travel partner for WVU. Despite your NIH data.

I'll give you more words.

The reason I included the NIH data is to illustrate the fact that Research Funding is significantly more important for a University than sports funding from a Conference.

Sports funding can return $ 0.10 cents on a dollar compared to Research Funding.

Some on the Board may criticize Pitt for not having their own stadium (Heinz shared with NFL Steelers). However, a new 50,000 seat stadium would cost in the neighborhood of $600 million or more.

Why spend the money on a new stadium (7 games/yr or 28 hours/yr).

Pitt would rather invest in facilities which will enhance the Research Prowess of the University and can be used 24/7 (365 days/yr).

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) recently is investing $2.0 Billion in 3 new Hospital/Research Facilities, the Crown Jewel of which is a 17 Story 636 Bed State of the Art Heart and Transplant Hospital in Oakland.

Pitt's athletic facilities may not be as good as some of the SEC or B1G Teams but they are good enough to get Pitt into the Top 25 in Football (2021/2022) and Basketball (2023).

Notice that Pitt NIH Research Funding in 2022 ranks higher than every team in the P-5 and even the IVY League.

The ACC Conference will survive because they are important to ABC/ESPN.

I wish Rutgers much success in the B1G and I think Greg will get the job done given enough time for him to get the right OC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

people need to stop, nothing wrong with that flag. For many southerners, it's a symbol of souther heritage and nothing more. If that flag offends, you got bigger issues than worrying about that cloth

that said, it shouldn't fly on state capital buildings because it's a battle flag although I understand the southern heritage to it. Some of you bigoted northerners may find it incredulous that many blacks in the south actually love and fly that flag or at least until they were shamed not to by vocal minority.

The reason I included the NIH data is to illustrate the fact that Research Funding is significantly more important for a University than sports funding from a Conference.

Sports funding can return $ 0.10 cents on a dollar compared to Research Funding.

Some on the Board may criticize Pitt for not having their own stadium (Heinz shared with NFL Steelers). However, a new 50,000 seat stadium would cost in the neighborhood of $600 million or more.

Pitt would rather invest in facilities which will enhance the Research Prowess of the University and can be used 24/7 (365 days/yr).

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) recently is investing $2.0 Billion in 3 new Hospital/Research Facilities, the Crown Jewel of which is a 17 Story 636 Bed State of the Art Heart and Transplant Hospital in Oakland.

Pitt's athletic facilities may not be as good as some of the SEC or B1G Teams but they are good enough to get Pitt into the Top 25 in Football (2021/2022) and Basketball (2023).

Notice that Pitt NIH Research Funding in 2022 ranks higher than every team in the P-5 and even the IVY League.

I wish Rutgers much success in the B1G and I think Greg will get the job done given enough time for him to get the right OC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
pitt could update their old stadium at a far less cost. Pitt sucks, get used to it and you're WVU's bitch

people need to stop, nothing wrong with that flag. For many southerners, it's a symbol of souther heritage and nothing more. If that flag offends, you got bigger issues than worrying about that cloth

that said, it shouldn't fly on state capital buildings because it's a battle flag although I understand the southern heritage to it. Some of you bigoted northerners may find it incredulous that many blacks in the south actually love and fly that flag or at least until they were shamed not to by vocal minority.
First, I don't NEED to stop, or do anything. Unlike the era that the flag you are defending represents, I'm no longer subject to slavery. You do not get to tell me what I can and cannot, or even should or should not, be offended by.

And yes, the flag offends me. It offends millions. So does the notion of being enslaved, or hung from trees, or victimized in a myriad of ways. As far as those blacks - not one of whom I have ever met, despite one side of my family being from North Carolina and the other from just over the border in Virginia - they can love it, drape themselves in it, fly it, put it on the roof of their orange Dodge Charger, or whatever else they choose with it. This is a free country.

It's been that way since 1865.

Because the traitors flying that flag lost.

"We brought the largest media market in the country to the B1G and little else".
Little else? There is nothing else needed.
The only reason conferences expand is to increase media money from partners.

If the PAC12 is so great then why are USC/UCLA jumping ship and literally joining a conference with teams 2 time zones away? Abandoning their historic partners and literally causing a political issue within the UC system? Making $40m compared to $80m-$100m? Sounds like they were looking for a "life raft" as well.

List all the USC/UCLA accomplishments you want - meaningless for helping the PAC-12 stay relevant apparently.
What about all the historic accomplishments of Texas and Oklahoma? How was that helping the Big 12 stay together?

Let's stop with this inferiority complex and accept that the Big Ten selected us over every other available school at the time. That's who we are. Yes, "we brought the largest media market in the country to the B1G and little else". Because we didn't need to bring anything else.
You are all over the place, mixing apples and oranges. No matter how you want to phrase it we had no leverage. We could have turned down the B1G and stayed in the American at $7 mil a year, maybe we would have gotten an ACC invite eventually, but who knows. Again, what leverage did we have at the time? If Rutgers was so against offering USC and UCLA full shares they should have voted against their entry, but guess what, I believe we voted for them to join with a full share. Obviously, they had leverage to demand a full share, none of these universities give other schools money for the hell of it. Some of you guys are just in total denial as to who we are in the pecking order of college athletics.

they can but why would the smaller/less successful schools do so?

it's not that simple
I have read some legal interpretations that said it takes a majority, some that said it would take a unanimous vote, to throw out the GOR.

Reactions: RUTGERS95

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Why are you lecturing the fans of an AAU school about research funding in a thread about realignment?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT