ADVERTISEMENT

Pac 12 Media Rights - Conference Realignment

I basically agree with your points, but what are the realistic options for FSU and Clemson? I can't see the SEC taking them - both states are already represented by the Flagship State Universities. Moving the Big XII is - at best - a lateral move. And I doubt the Big 10 would be interested. Maybe I'm lacking imagination, but I kind of see FSU stuck in the ACC for the time being.
It’s either B1G or SEC for FSU
Most are saying SEC for Clemson

The Big Ten would definitely wants FSU, due to its location, growing state, Co., flagship status, working on getting a you, successful sports, etc.

From purely a football standpoint, I would prefer the SEC as he rivalries a more natural and the awakens would be closer

Clemson has SCC red all over them, as her academics are not as good and their culture aligns directly with the SEC.

It’s either B1G or SEC for FSU
Most are saying SEC for Clemson

The Big Ten would definitely wants FSU, due to its location, growing state, Co., flagship status, working on getting a you, successful sports, etc.

From purely a football standpoint, I would prefer the SEC as he rivalries a more natural and the awakens would be closer

Clemson has SCC red all over them, as her academics are not as good and their culture aligns directly with the SEC.

I believe Clemon is ranked a lot higher academically than FSU.

I believe Clemon is ranked a lot higher academically than FSU.
Clemson is a good school but FSU is ranked higher

The last USNWR had them at 19th

As a co flagship with UF, they get a lot of state funding previously not afforded to them prior to that status

Additionally, they brought in president McCulloch to get them to AAU status

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Why do you think they agreed to pay that if it was only for a year until the GOR ran out?
Follow the tea leaves... i.e. it was worth it

GOR's, though tricky, are like any contact
They're made to be broken, and are never ironclad

FWIW, FSU AD Michael Alford went in front of the BOT today and presented this:

https://247sports.com/college/flori...otball-ACC-exit-fee-Michael-Alford-205253904/

Follow the dominoes here. Alford is a shrewd businessman. He's not going on record w/these facts if things weren't already brewing
ESPN wanted to get OU and Texas in as early as possible because they paid a huge price for the SEC top game of the week package previously held by CBS, and they need to make sure they have a huge marquee game for that every week, not games that include schools like Miss State and Arkansas as CBS sometimes did when they were paying 1/6 as much.

Alford is a smart guy
Things are already in the works for an exit deal long before 2036
Read between the tea leaves... you don't go public w/something like this unless there's something happening sooner rather than later
You are reading way too much into this. If “going public” with a dollar amount he thinks can get them out of the ACC is a sign to you that something is in the works, how do you rationalize that he also went “public” with a proposal for an unequal revenue share for staying until 2036??

ESPN wanted to get OU and Texas in as early as possible because they paid a huge price for the SEC top game of the week package previously held by CBS, and they need to make sure they have a huge marquee game for that every week, not games that include schools like Miss State and Arkansas as CBS sometimes did when they were paying 1/6 as much.
Exactly my point
ESPN helps facilitate deals that work in their favor

Hence why they won’t let marquee real estate that they currently own (FSU & Clemson) die on the vine

Reactions: megadrone
You are reading way too much into this. If “going public” with a dollar amount he thinks can get them out of the ACC is a sign to you that something is in the works, how do you rationalize that he also went “public” with a proposal for an unequal revenue share for staying until 2036??
He’s covering all the bases bc they’re not out of the league yet

Riddle me this - when has an AD gone public w this kind of clear cut verbiage?

Read the tea leaves - Im not coming on here posting my thoughts last night and this morning if it wasn’t rumored this was happening

The wheels are in motion. As an FSU fan whose had it w the ACC and has wanted out for years, they’re grinding slower than I’d like, but grinding, and making tangible progress, nonetheless

Exactly my point
ESPN helps facilitate deals that work in their favor

Hence why they won’t let marquee real estate that they currently own (FSU & Clemson) die on the vine
You are missing the big point.

FSU and Clemson are not as important to ESPN as having the huge amount of ACC live content (that they are paying less than than market value for) filling time slots in their lineup. The last thing they want to do is something that might destabilize the ACC and risk blowing up a deal that has 12 more years to run and is in their favor.

OU and Texas were easy to move up a year with just money because they were leaving when the GOR ends anyway. Getting someone 12 years early in the middle of a GOR is a completely different animal.

He’s covering all the bases bc they’re not out of the league yet

Riddle me this - when has an AD gone public w this kind of clear cut verbiage?

Read the tea leaves - Im not coming on here posting my thoughts last night and this morning if it wasn’t rumored this was happening

The wheels are in motion. As an FSU fan whose had it w the ACC and has wanted out for years, they’re grinding slower than I’d like, but grinding, and making tangible progress, nonetheless
So a public statement is very meaningful when it matches your view, and meaningless when it doesn’t?

You are missing the big point.

FSU and Clemson are not as important to ESPN as having the huge amount of ACC live content (that they are paying less than than market value for) filling time slots in their lineup. The last thing they want to do is something that might destabilize the ACC and risk blowing up a deal that has 12 more years to run and is in their favor.

OU and Texas were easy to move up a year with just money because they were leaving when the GOR ends anyway. Getting someone 12 years early in the middle of a GOR is a completely different animal.
Not missing any point

They’re not going to dilute their current asset to the point of it being non competitive

They’re ultimately the ones calling the shots - though it will be interesting to see who exactly ends up where

So a public statement is very meaningful when it matches your view, and meaningless when it doesn’t?
Never said that
What I said is exactly what I’ve heard

And who I’ve heard it from are extremely connected - much more so than either of us

We can argue all day or let the chips fall where they will.

At the end of the day, whether right or wrong, I’ll still be here posting and reading the board

Not missing any point

They’re not going to dilute their current asset to the point of it being non competitive

They’re ultimately the ones calling the shots - though it will be interesting to see who exactly ends up where
The ACC will be mostly irrelevant in football without FSU and Clemson. Why would the remaining schools allow them to go quietly, especially ones like UNC and UVA who can be confident they would have a landing spot if the ACC blew up?

Not that I hate the we have USC and UCLA, I am glad...!

But it would have been nice if Texas and Oklahoma would have joined the Pac-12 10 years ago...

There would have been the Power 3

SEC and Big10 would have eventually picked the ACC apart and the conferences would have been more regional.

The ACC will be mostly irrelevant in football without FSU and Clemson. Why would the remaining schools allow them to go quietly, especially ones like UNC and UVA who can be confident they would have a landing spot if the ACC blew up?
The remaining schools all look out for themselves, in areas other than football and in football itself

You think the other schools are going to be ok w/staying put, especially the ones who excell at other sports?

Will the ACC schools continue being ok w/30-40 million annually behind peers? That money doesn't just effect football, it effects all sports

Does UNC want bball to suffer? How about Duke - they're ok with being middle of the road due to a 500 million shortfall?

It's big picture man - not just short term, football related stuff. The $ disparacny trickles down to other sports. And at 30-40 mil/year, it's not a trickle. It's damn near Niagara Falls, especially considering it'd be in the neighborhood of 500 mil over 13 years

You cannot recover from that type of blow.

Additionally, do you honestly think I'd come on here an post what I did, when I did, if I didn't have an inkling Alford was going in front of the BOT to drop public bombs like that?

Where does the SEC get their money? From ESPN.

ESPN isn’t going to help the SEC blow up the ACC early. The ACC deal might be their most cost effective rights contract in any sport, considering the huge amount of live content they get out of it.

Agree with you and what some on the board minimize.

The ACC will become the 3rd most important P-5 Conference.

ABC/ESPN did not bid on the B1G contract and let Fox have it all.

ESPN/ABC has total exclusivity with ACC/SEC and ESPN and needs content to continue to operate as a viable competing sports network. The fact that ESPN let FOX have more or less total exclusivity with the B1G broadcasting rights is a great benefit to the ACC.

What I have confidence in is that ESPN/ABC will financially do what is in their best interest and that is why I'm not concerned about the future of the ACC. The ACC is very important to ESPN/ABC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

ESPN/ABC has total exclusivity with ACC/SEC and ESPN and needs content to continue to operate as a viable competing sports network. The fact that ESPN let FOX have more or less total exclusivity with the B1G broadcasting rights is a great benefit to the ACC.

What I have confidence in is that ESPN/ABC will financially do what is in their best interest and that is why I'm not concerned about the future of the ACC. The ACC is very important to ESPN/ABC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
The issue is the amount of deadweight schools the league has

Wake, BC, Cuse have no business collecting even half of what FSU does

They are the dregs of the conference, don’t invest heavily into FB, have minimal fan bases and bring the conference down as a whole

I’d assume Pitt is on the fringe of either being left out conpletely, or one of the last schools swooped up by the B12/Pac consortium

Outside of the big 4 and possibly Miami, it’s Duke, GT, Ville, VT, NC State and Pitt (not in that order) who will need to find other homes in the aforementioned new conference (unless Duke comes w UNC or GT is taken in SEC or more likely B1G due to ATL market)

Most watched teams

Hopefully I did that correctly from my phone. Regardless, the above link show the most watched college football teams. When you consider the B1G and SEC additions for 2024, those two conferences have 20 of the 25 top brands. ACC has two. This is only going to widen as each year passes and the SEC and B1G dominate the prime time slots every Saturday.

ESPN will either need to move Clemson and Florida State or the will do so themselves when the time and money is right.

• Love
Most watched teams

Hopefully I did that correctly from my phone. Regardless, the above link show the most watched college football teams. When you consider the B1G and SEC additions for 2024, those two conferences have 20 of the 25 top brands. ACC has two. This is only going to widen as each year passes and the SEC and B1G dominate the prime time slots every Saturday.

ESPN will either need to move Clemson and Florida State or the will do so themselves when the time and money is right.
Bingo

It’s not sustainable to be in that dumpster fire for much longer w the $ discrepancy, especially for FSU& Clemson

The pieces are beginning to line up for both programs (and others) for a move to either the B1G or the SEC

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Yea ESPN will do what is in its best interest just like anyone else. What's in the their best interest is keeping the bargain deal they have for just about as long as they can. I don't get this idea where propping up the ACC is in their interest. They want programming a decent price, it doesn't have to be blockbuster programming across the board. They need filler too and paying a equitable price for that filler is good enough. Look at the myriad of bowls they own the rights to, not all of them are top flight bowls but it's good filler for the price they pay. On top of which, paying more money to these schools doesn't guarantee any of them will make for better programming.

Also just because they had to let the B10 go this time around doesn't mean they won't try for a piece in future deals. They let the NHL go too and now they have the NHL again.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRU2RU
Most watched teams

I don't think ESPN has to do anything. It's not as if Clemson and FSU are some holy grail. They are higher status schools but they're not the end all be all. ESPN has plenty of good programming in CFB, they don't need to spend more money or incur legal headaches for FSU/Clemson.

I do think FSU/Clemson will likely move on just not any time soon.

It's not a death sentence to them either. They spent big money on their coaches and assistants just this past offseason. The playoffs are expanding and opportunity will still be there for them to achieve high level results. Cincy and TCU did it with less money and only 4 playoff spots and no autobids so Clemson/FSU can as well if they're smart. But if you're not smart then you can be like Miami who left for more money to the ACC and hasn't done squat since. When it's more feasible down the line and the GOR isn't a big impediment, FSU/Clemson can jump.

Too often there's this hysteria like it's the end of the world when it's not. Look at the streaming wars, I mentioned above. Many of the media companies were like we have to get in it's the end of the world if we don't jump into this new market with both feet and now most of them are like WTF did we do. They didn't look before leaping and are losing tons of money and are trying to rationalize costs now. FSU/Clemson success or failure will have less to do with money and more to do with their own acumen. Also most of their schedule comes from within the ACC and they will still have more resources than most of their main competitors.

I don't think ESPN has to do anything. It's not as if Clemson and FSU are some holy grail. They are higher status schools but they're not the end all be all. ESPN has plenty of good programming in CFB, they don't need to spend more money or incur legal headaches for FSU/Clemson.

I do think FSU/Clemson will likely move on just not any time soon.

It's not a death sentence to them either. They spent big money on their coaches and assistants just this past offseason. The playoffs are expanding and opportunity will still be there for them to achieve high level results. Cincy and TCU did it with less money and only 4 playoff spots and no autobids so Clemson/FSU can as well if they're smart. But if you're not smart then you can be like Miami who left for more money to the ACC and hasn't done squat since. When it's more feasible down the line and the GOR isn't a big impediment, FSU/Clemson can jump.

Too often there's this hysteria like it's the end of the world when it's not. Look at the streaming wars, I mentioned above. Many of the media companies were like we have to get in it's the end of the world if we don't jump into this new market with both feet and now most of them are like WTF did we do. They didn't look before leaping and are losing tons of money and are trying to rationalize costs now. FSU/Clemson success or failure will have less to do with money and more to do with their own acumen. Also most of their schedule comes from within the ACC and they will still have more resources than most of their main competitors.
The only way it would not be a death sentence as if some of the ACC schools merge with the big 12 and or pac, and created the number 3 conference amd the money discrepancy wasn’t $30-$40 million behind the SEC in big 10

I would rather clemson and fsu in big than sec
agree and Florida along with USCe might help out if they try to keep those in state programs from joining the SEC.
I also think Oregon and Washington are making 3rd party moves trying to join the B1G out of fear that the UofA , ASU, Colorado and Utah might jump from PAC if the PAC can't get a good TV rights deal.

agree and Florida along with USCe might help out if they try to keep those in state programs from joining the SEC.
I also think Oregon and Washington are making 3rd party moves trying to join the B1G out of fear that the UofA , ASU, Colorado and Utah might jump from PAC if the PAC can't get a good TV rights deal.

I no longer factor in “fill in the blank school will block their instate rival” when looking at expansion. Texas A&M got Texas jammed down their throat. If the SEC wants Clemson and vice versa, I don’t think South Carolina will have any meaningful day in the matter.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Outside of ND, that has to be the best property left on the board right?
Yeah ND is the clear cut # 1

Athletics + ratings wise, Noles would be # 2

B1G dream scenario would be the foursome of ND, FSU, UNC + UVA

You could argue that UNC and UVA would be ahead of FSU based on the continuous states theory/model, but I am not privy to that information

Yeah ND is the clear cut # 1

Athletics + ratings wise, Noles would be # 2

B1G dream scenario would be the foursome of ND, FSU, UNC + UVA

You could argue that UNC and UVA would be ahead of FSU based on the continuous states theory/model, but I am not privy to that information
USC and UCLA probably erased any notion of geographic continuity.

arizona and colorado will never be in BIG. the rest I'm right there with you

arizona and colorado will never be in BIG. the rest I'm right there with you
never meant to imply they would.
But re reading my message about Washington and Oregon wanting to, can see how you came to think I did.
I think UofA,ASU,Utah and Colorado might be B12 bound if the PAC doesn't get a good TV rights deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
UVA is not as high as everyone thinks. If FSU gets AAU, they will be target number 1. UNC is high

Reactions: MADHAT1
Agree, UVA is 4th behind ND, FSU & UNC
Eventually they’ll join the fray

I have to assume Oregon and Washington are coming at some point. So that would be 22 if you also landed the 4 above. At that point you just wait for ND and a +1. Then shut it down at 24.

Crazy to think that could be where we are heading.

I have to assume Oregon and Washington are coming at some point. So that would be 22 if you also landed the 4 above. At that point you just wait for ND and a +1. Then shut it down at 24.

Crazy to think that could be where we are heading.
Big won't wait for ND once the final round starts. ND has a decision to make and how we'll know is the communications on independence to the alumni.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT