ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PAC 12 Appoints New Commissioner

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
This is rich:

And what is this byline- "Autonomous 5 Conference?"

Teresa Gould named Pac-12 commissioner: Deputy commish promoted as conference navigates uncertain future​

Gould becomes the first woman to serve as commissioner of a Autonomous Five conference​

And the picture of her, she looks like Flounder in the pic they put up before the Delta House vote:

usatsi-19298253-168396417-lowres-1.jpg
19239723_10154970531263369_1196873769_n.gif

The only conference that would make any sense is the Mountain West, since they are an all-sports conference.

WSU and OSU also have a great stake in maintaining their access to the "credits," or whatever they are called, that the Pac12 earned with the NCAA for their participation in NCAA tournaments, which are worth millions of $$$. Those will last another 5 years and I believe that WSU and OSU sued and won the right to exclude the departing schools from gaining access to those funds. Those millions will offset some of the financial loss that will be suffered by those two schools after being abandoned by rest of the conference. I think that ensuring that this happens will be a major focus of her job.

The only conference that would make any sense is the Mountain West, since they are an all-sports conference.

WSU and OSU also have a great stake in maintaining their access to the "credits," or whatever they are called, that the Pac12 earned with the NCAA for their participation in NCAA tournaments, which are worth millions of $$$. Those will last another 5 years and I believe that WSU and OSU sued and won the right to exclude the departing schools from gaining access to those funds. Those millions will offset some of the financial loss that will be suffered by those two schools after being abandoned by rest of the conference. I think that ensuring that this happens will be a major focus of her job.
If the ACC partially implodes with departure of FSU, Clemson and one or two others, maybe Oregon State and Washington State join--love the A&P conference name, so perfect. But the geographical spread of the conference makes little sense.

A realignment with Cincinnati and UCF going to ACC and WSU and Oregon State to Big 12 seems to make more geographic sense but probably too complicated to accomplish. Take it a step further and send over WVU and let Cal and Stanford join the Big 12.

If the ACC partially implodes with departure of FSU, Clemson and one or two others, maybe Oregon State and Washington State join--love the A&P conference name, so perfect. But the geographical spread of the conference makes little sense.

A realignment with Cincinnati and UCF going to ACC and WSU and Oregon State to Big 12 seems to make more geographic sense but probably too complicated to accomplish. Take it a step further and send over WVU and let Cal and Stanford join the Big 12.

If Washington State and Oregon State were ever to join the ACC Conference the geographical spread of the ACC and B1G would be the same out west.

B1G: UCLA, USC, Washington and Oregon
ACC: Standford, Cal, Washington State and Oregon State

Prefer the ACC (All Coast Conference) name to remain LOL.

I do think teams like WVU, Cincinnati, UCF, USF and even UConn would all like to be a part of the ACC if any openings occur.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: Doctor Worm
If Washington State and Oregon State were ever to join the ACC Conference the geographical spread of the ACC and B1G would be the same out west.

I do think teams like WVU, Cincinnati, UCF, USF and even UConn would all like to be a part of the ACC if any openings occur.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
It's about quality, not quantity.
ACC = dead conference walking

This will never happen, but imagine all of these moves leading eventually to … 8 to 12 school regional conferences. The money is huge now, but 16-school to .. what 30-school conferences seems, at best, unwieldy. What if schools decide it may be easier to get a good spot in the CFP is in a conference with a smaller number of schools, and fan interest/money is better playing nearby traditional rivals?

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
She has a tough road to hoe and more likely took the job knowing the best she can do is sell the name and place OSU and WSU where they can fit best .
Doubt raiding other conferences would be achievable, so selling PAC name and placing the 2 programs left in the best possible situation would make her tenure a success.
Her time at the top will be a short one, but might lead to a good position at another confrence, depending on how she handed the last days of the PAC

WSU and OSU have a two year grace period to assess their options. By 7/1/2026, the PAC-12 must consist of at least eight teams, or it ceases to exist.

The proposed options I have seen are:

1) Full merger with MWC, retaining the PAC-12 brand. The MWC is reportedly amenable to this, provided that it's "all or none", that none of its members are left behind. The question is whether the MWC teams would share in the PAC-12 assets.

2) Cherry pick selected MWC teams, and maybe other G5 teams, to get to the required eight. Exit fees might come into play here.

3) The most intriguing option I have seen is an eight team PAC-12 (which retains its status of P5 or A5 or whatever), and an eight team MWC (they'd need to add two), with promotion/relegation between the two. I don't see this happening but it's fun to consider.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Lmao at UConn joining the ACC with their bottom 5 FBS football program nationally. They're happy in the Big East with their precious basketball program and being absolute dogshit at everything else. Tulane would be better for the ACC as they'd at least get into NOLA.

WSU and OSU have a two year grace period to assess their options. By 7/1/2026, the PAC-12 must consist of at least eight teams, or it ceases to exist.

The proposed options I have seen are:

1) Full merger with MWC, retaining the PAC-12 brand. The MWC is reportedly amenable to this, provided that it's "all or none", that none of its members are left behind. The question is whether the MWC teams would share in the PAC-12 assets.

2) Cherry pick selected MWC teams, and maybe other G5 teams, to get to the required eight. Exit fees might come into play here.

3) The most intriguing option I have seen is an eight team PAC-12 (which retains its status of P5 or A5 or whatever), and an eight team MWC (they'd need to add two), with promotion/relegation between the two. I don't see this happening but it's fun to consider.
If option 3, have Idaho and Montana move back up to FBS and in the new MW. Problem solved.

I couldn't think of a more pointless job outside of politics if I tried than Commissioner of the Pac-2.
She moved into the position from being Deputy Commissioner ,so still working for the same organization and depending how everything works out, she might wind up getting a good position with another conference if she does a good job handling this mess .
If PAC merges with the Mountain West she might stay on as Commissioner or back to Deputy Commissioner under the MW Commish .
If the PAC stays a conference by raiding others to survive, she'll probably be credited for doing that and come out looking like a winner .

Spoke to someone yesterday that follows all of this. He noted that something to watch for is to have the Football teams in National Conferences and have Olympic sport teams re-organize back into regional groupings. Costs he noted were the biggest drivers for all except for a few elite bluebloods.
🤷‍♂️

Spoke to someone yesterday that follows all of this. He noted that something to watch for is to have the Football teams in National Conferences and have Olympic sport teams re-organize back into regional groupings. Costs he noted were the biggest drivers for all except for a few elite bluebloods.
🤷‍♂️
Can see the Cal "we hate sports" contingent of profs and admins lobbying for this because of the travel costs.

🤷‍♂️
They should have thought of this BEFORE having teams like usc ucla or and wa in the b1g and cal/stanny in the acc and wvu and byu in the b12…frankly the SEC remains the most geographically sane of the 4 remaining power conferences…no telling how long that will last with an idiot like skankey running the show. Perhaps they can stop pretending like Olympic sports matter to many…

Reactions: RUScrew85
It's about quality, not quantity.
ACC = dead conference walking
They’ll survive. They’ll add WSU & OSU to replace FSU and Clemson and have a west coast pod with Stanford & Cal. ACC isn’t going PAC 12. They’ll be weakened like the Big 12 after OK and Texas left but still be around

They’ll survive. They’ll add WSU & OSU to replace FSU and Clemson and have a west coast pod with Stanford & Cal. ACC isn’t going PAC 12. They’ll be weakened like the Big 12 after OK and Texas left but still be around
So it will be the Power 2 conferences and then everyone else.

Reactions: RUaMoose
They should have thought of this BEFORE having teams like usc ucla or and wa in the b1g and cal/stanny in the acc and wvu and byu in the b12…frankly the SEC remains the most geographically sane of the 4 remaining power conferences…no telling how long that will last with an idiot like skankey running the show. Perhaps they can stop pretending like Olympic sports matter to many…
I would bet the if Rutgers (and frankly a whole bunch of other schools (see Arizona)) finance folks run the numbers they would be all for keeping most of the Olympic sports regional but allowing football on national level and basketball on reasonable national level. The cost savings would move the needle for the athletic department as a whole.

I would bet the if Rutgers (and frankly a whole bunch of other schools (see Arizona)) finance folks run the numbers they would be all for keeping most of the Olympic sports regional but allowing football on national level and basketball on reasonable national level. The cost savings would move the needle for the athletic department as a whole.
Then conferences fall apart! If you are making a poop ton of money in the big ten but your expenses skyrocket…is it worth it?

Then conferences fall apart! If you are making a poop ton of money in the big ten but your expenses skyrocket…is it worth it?
Some conferences will remain, but their valuation will be determined by what is left after basketball and football get carved out. The SEC remains a strong southeastern conference for Olympic sports. The Big Ten Olympic sports may consolidate back to being midwest/east. The ACC moves back to being an Atlantic conference and could even shift to Virginia and south while ACC north becomes a part of a northeastern conference for Olympic sports. The Big 12 maybe centers around the mid-southern region for Olympic sports. Etc. No one knows, but the money from media is going to get tight, especially with the finance issues those entities are having which will have ripple effects. Through all of that, though, Football will still drive the bus. And no, Basketball does not carry enough juice to drive things at all (direct from someone that was well versed in those properties on the media side) -- but they could carry enough to be part of a football package.

Some conferences will remain, but their valuation will be determined by what is left after basketball and football get carved out. The SEC remains a strong southeastern conference for Olympic sports. The Big Ten Olympic sports may consolidate back to being midwest/east. The ACC moves back to being an Atlantic conference and could even shift to Virginia and south while ACC north becomes a part of a northeastern conference for Olympic sports. The Big 12 maybe centers around the mid-southern region for Olympic sports. Etc. No one knows, but the money from media is going to get tight, especially with the finance issues those entities are having which will have ripple effects. Through all of that, though, Football will still drive the bus. And no, Basketball does not carry enough juice to drive things at all (direct from someone that was well versed in those properties on the media side) -- but they could carry enough to be part of a football package.
When you say “centers” for Olympic sports…you mean all schools come to one place and everyone plays each other there? That hardly seems equitable…the old conferences were just better…I don’t care how old and out of tune that comes across. Rutgers, for example, does not belong in a conference with a school in Seattle or los Angeles. But alas here we are. I blame the b12…and by extension the ****ing bovines in Austin. They started this back in the 90s…the b12 was an abortion the and an even uglier mess now.

When you say “centers” for Olympic sports…you mean all schools come to one place and everyone plays each other there? That hardly seems equitable…the old conferences were just better…I don’t care how old and out of tune that comes across. Rutgers, for example, does not belong in a conference with a school in Seattle or los Angeles. But alas here we are. I blame the b12…and by extension the ****ing bovines in Austin. They started this back in the 90s…the b12 was an abortion the and an even uglier mess now.
That is what I am saying. You will end up at where we started or some general grouping of schools similar to the older conferences for the Olympics sports.

As for who started it, doesn't matter. Here is where we are at for good or bad. One thing was certain then and now - change will continue to happen.

That is what I am saying. You will end up at where we started or some general grouping of schools similar to the older conferences for the Olympics sports.

As for who started it, doesn't matter. Here is where we are at for good or bad. One thing was certain then and now - change will continue to happen.
Not all change is good…wait until the bigger programs decide the dont need to share with the Vandys and RUs of the world…people seem to think RU is in an iron-clad and safe space…10 years ago the PAC was set…now it’s dead…

I don't hate sports, and it makes sense to me.
My post was a little terse. I recall there being a vocal group of faculty and others at Cal who were loath to spend money on athletics, and the increased travel costs for all sports will give them something else to complain about.

Person was from Midwest. Not a PAC12/2 person.
But it makes sense for saving $$$ and letting the non-revenue sports participants focus on their studies versus an onerous travel schedule.
This makes a lot of sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT