ADVERTISEMENT

The SEC Commissioner has balls

cubuffsdoug

Heisman Winner
Apr 8, 2002
SEC commissioner Greg Sankey can save college football. Will he?

SEC Commish Sankey is trying to blame the B1G for what's going on in college football. The SEC getting Texas and Oklahoma wasn't as harmful as the B1G grabbing USC and UCLA. Sankey is trying to paint Warren as the bad guy for expanding to 16 teams. IMO, it was the gangster move attempt by ESPN/SEC to bully their way to control of the CFP. Every league began to scramble for answers so their conferences could survive. Warren did what he had to do for the B1G to stay ahead of the curve. Also, the way the article is written slanted to paint Sankey as a kind and understanding man... BULLSH*T.

Sankey, whose measured, definitive leadership has pushed the SEC to unthinkable success in only 7 years, should stand in Atlanta next week, with the eyes of the sports world on him, and make clear that specific future: If the Power 5 becomes the Power 2, it won’t be because of moves made by the SEC.

The same SEC that a year earlier accepted Texas and Oklahoma into the conference, while the other 4 Power conferences insinuated (in no certain order) that the SEC pursued Texas and Oklahoma, that ESPN brokered the deal, and that the SEC was trying to ruin college football as we know it.

Meanwhile, back in reality and less than a year later, the most destabilizing move of all came from the Big Ten — which used an “Alliance” with the ACC and Pac-12 to scuttle Playoff expansion (eliminating as much as $1.2 billion annually for ALL to share) before turning the knife on the Pac-12 and adding USC and UCLA.

That improbable move has left the Pac-12 in danger of being eaten by the Big Ten and Big 12, and the ACC in danger of losing teams to the SEC in a retaliatory measure.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey can save college football. Will he?

SEC Commish Sankey is trying to blame the B1G for what's going on in college football. The SEC getting Texas and Oklahoma wasn't as harmful as the B1G grabbing USC and UCLA. Sankey is trying to paint Warren as the bad guy for expanding to 16 teams. IMO, it was the gangster move attempt by ESPN/SEC to bully their way to control of the CFP. Every league began to scramble for answers so their conferences could survive. Warren did what he had to do for the B1G to stay ahead of the curve. Also, the way the article is written slanted to paint Sankey as a kind and understanding man... BULLSH*T.
I read it differently. Matt Hayes, the writer of the article, is urging Sankey to take that role.

I think Panthergrowl has it right: The SEC is staying at 16 because ESPN is not going to pay the SEC to raid the ACC. From ESPN's perspective, that would be like paying somebody to take money out of your left pocket and put it in your right.

Did Sankey say anything like that or just the SEC chode licker who wrote that fact-free editorial?

And if Sankey diodes say those things wii anyone believe it? If they do I want their names so I can sell them a few bridges.

Reactions: fsg2
Yeah, I think someone misread the article.

And Hayes has a perverse view of what's happening in college football if he thinks the SEC is some innocent bystander here who could be a victim of apparent BIG greediness.

His logic seems to be the BIG taking USC and UCLA might be the last big blow to the current conference landscape but it's not the biggest move, it's just one in a line of big moves. The BIG only took USC and UCLA largely because of the SEC grabbing OU and TX. It's just a snowball rolling downhill here.

We'll see how much control Disney/ABC/ESPN has over media coverage.. can the SEC/ESPN get away with blaming the current state of college football on the Big Ten? Can they get a critical mass of media reporting that?

Grab the popcorn and beverage of choice.

You can’t act the way the sec did last year and then one year later pretend to be the virtuous one about to save the game…f*** that jackass

PS: for A&M, Mizzou, and OU/tx, it worked out great…my greater point and it applies to the B1G also with adding NU, RU and MD is that they have no virtuous ground to stand on. They can talk about preserving the integrity of the game or rivalries or any such nonesense when they did what they did to CLEARLY set themselves up above the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can’t act the way the sec did last year and then one year later pretend to be the virtuous one about to save the game…f*** that jackass
Not an SEC fan, but every conference hammered the SEC last year for taking Texas and Oklahoma. . Yet every conference entertained the possibility that they could get Texas and Oklahoma.

In the chess match between the BIG and SEC the BIG will win. SEC realizes this and is now making their next move to force stalemate by staying at 16. If the moves were played out and ND went to the BIG then it’s game over.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
In the chess match between the BIG and SEC the BIG will win. SEC realizes this and is now making their next move to force stalemate by staying at 16. If the moves were played out and ND went to the BIG then it’s game over.
Huh, a good portion of the country is moving to the South. College football is a Southern sport. The B1G is sitting in the rust belt where the population is moving to the South. Outside of OSU the college football playoffs have been dominated by Southern schools. Don't get me wrong, the B1G will always be a player, but to say the B1G will win in a direct competition with the SEC, not buying it.

I was thinking the same thing, right across the board. The SEC would be taking programs in markets that they already have.
The BIG would probably win the battle for ND North Carolina and Virginia (NC and Virginia would go for the research dollars).and have the west coast teams too.
Right now they will make a fortune with 16 and grow their brand.
The way it stands now with ghe west coast schools on an island. Maybe they will add a couple more PAC schools in the future.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
It may pause for now but IMO eventually the B10/SEC will expand more. ESPN/Fox will do to the ACC what they did to the BE/PAC12.

Similar to the BE/PAC12 the valuable pieces will be taken and paid at the rate of the current B10/SEC schools and the rest will be devalued and gotten on the cheap. It's more likely that, than paying the whole ACC at the rate of the B10/SEC or something close to it. The GOR will hold them together until the 2030s but IMO that's the eventual conclusion along with ND finally joining the B10 by then at the latest.

Huh, a good portion of the country is moving to the South. College football is a Southern sport. The B1G is sitting in the rust belt where the population is moving to the South. Outside of OSU the college football playoffs have been dominated by Southern schools. Don't get me wrong, the B1G will always be a player, but to say the B1G will win in a direct competition with the SEC, not buying it.
SEC has great football no doubt. If it was just about football I would agree.
Have you noticed the Billions Rutgers is investing since joining the Big Ten Conference? The BIG is the total package. With a few exceptions, the SEC is a football factory.Don’t get me wrong their baseball is pretty good too.
As far as institutions of higher learning the SEC is probably 4th out of the power five conferences.

SEC has long harmed college football making the sport an "arms race". Paying HCs and assistants huge amounts of money. Lokk no further than Bama where former HCs are paid large sums.

It may pause for now but IMO eventually the B10/SEC will expand more. ESPN/Fox will do to the ACC what they did to the BE/PAC12.

Similar to the BE/PAC12 the valuable pieces will be taken and paid at the rate of the current B10/SEC schools and the rest will be devalued and gotten on the cheap. It's more likely that, than paying the whole ACC at the rate of the B10/SEC or something close to it. The GOR will hold them together until the 2030s but IMO that's the eventual conclusion along with ND finally joining the B10 by then at the latest.
I think that ESPN/ SEC would have continued adding after they incorporated OU and Texas, probably taking a run at USC+, knowing that the SEC as a national conference dominating the playoff would put pressure on the top B1G teams to jump or become more irrelevant.

It’s funny to see the whining (as in the OP’s article) about what the B1G did, because they are just SO frustrated that the B1G USC/UCLA addition short circuited their plans.

I think that now ESPN tries to squeeze as much value as they can out of the ACC, and nothing happens with ACC teams until closer to the end of their contract.

SEC has great football no doubt. If it was just about football I would agree.
Have you noticed the Billions Rutgers is investing since joining the Big Ten Conference? The BIG is the total package. With a few exceptions, the SEC is a football factory.Don’t get me wrong their baseball is pretty good too.
As far as institutions of higher learning the SEC is probably 4th out of the power five conferences.
Football, basketball, baseball, women's gymnastics, etc. all SEC. Look at Indiana basketball how far that has fallen. We are only talking athletics, media isn't paying for academics. The Ivy League academic wise has it all over everybody. This is simply a case of demographics, it is undeniable that the country is moving South. B1G as long as we have OSU will always be in the conversation and at worst #2, but football drives the bus on this topic and football is the SEC

I get the feeling that if they go the super conference route. They will have to include a lot more teams. Right now there are a lot of very good programs that are not in the BIG or SEC.
If you make it to exclusive you are going to lose college football fans. Personally if a super conference was formed and RU wasn’t in it I wouldn’t follow it.
For a lot of fans and alums out there, when the music stops if their school dosent have a chair. They will not follow either.

I get the feeling that if they go the super conference route. They will have to include a lot more teams. Right now there are a lot of very good programs that are not in the BIG or SEC.
If you make it to exclusive you are going to lose college football fans. Personally if a super conference was formed and RU wasn’t in it I wouldn’t follow it.
For a lot of fans and alums out there, when the music stops if their school dosent have a chair. They will not follow either.
Yup I've said before I don't believe that one super conference with only brand names was going to happen. Someone has to lose (they all can't be winners) and I don't know how many brands will want to turn into dregs. I think it will cement as a P2 but probably larger than current number (16) in each.

I could envision some day a lining up and eventual pooling of SEC and B10 rights. It's heading towards the NFL model and IMO that could be the final step. Not saying that would happen but I could see it. Right now everyone sees it as B10/Fox vs SEC/ESPN and that's somewhat true. I think though in the future (assuming the SEC is smart) when the SEC comes up for bid in the 2030s they will follow the NFL model like the B10 has. Split up the rights among multiple partners and shorten the contract length. So I could see a day where both ESPN/Fox have pieces of the B10 and SEC and may or may not have pieces of the other conferences.

The other thing I could envision is a possible uneven revenue share. Not to the point of crippling lower status schools but just some uneven model. Maybe bonuses for championships or playoffs or something...who knows. Again not saying for sure it would happen but I could envision it. I've said similar to what you mentioned. There's only so far and so much you can consolidate or constrict before you eventually affect interest/viewership negatively in a substantive way.

It's why I think the playoffs will still be somewhat "inclusive" even though threats of being just B10/SEC may get out there to push certain teams in certain directions. It's just good for the health of the sport and also for political reasons to be "inclusive" at least to some degree.

Football, basketball, baseball, women's gymnastics, etc. all SEC. Look at Indiana basketball how far that has fallen. We are only talking athletics, media isn't paying for academics. The Ivy League academic wise has it all over everybody. This is simply a case of demographics, it is undeniable that the country is moving South. B1G as long as we have OSU will always be in the conversation and at worst #2, but football drives the bus on this topic and football is the
I am not just talking football or even just athletics. ( BIG basketball is better that the SEC and the SEC dosen't even have lacrosse or hockey). I am talking about total package. athletics, academics and research dollars ( in some cases R&D blows away income from athletics). In that respect the SEC is a distant fourth. Where would you rather have your degree from, Indiana or Mississippi State?
It’s not even close the BIG is far and away the better conference. They have the major markets, more alums, more prestige, and a lot more money!
Football is cyclical. SEC is better now but that will change.

Last edited:
I think what’s understated is who is at the top of the food chain in all this conference movement and it’s the networks. Conferences make moves on revenue commitments and flexibility to break or rework network deals. ESPN and Fox provide the dollars they’re will to pay and give the wink on which moves (I.e. Schools to acquire) provide the most value. SEC and BIG don’t accept new members without knowing damn well how much that school adds to the bottom line. The ACC GOR agreement will be broken if ESPN can increase the value of SEC above and beyond keeping the GOR intact with ACC and SEC as is. Otherwise I don’t see ESPN seeing in its interests of allowing the ACC to fall apart.

Networks are the straws that stir the drink.

GO RU

Reactions: RUScrew85
I am not just talking football or even just athletics. ( BIG basketball is better that the SEC and the SEC dosen't even have lacrosse or hockey). I am talking about total package. athletics, academics and research dollars ( in some cases R&D blows away income from athletics). In that respect the SEC is a distant fourth. Where would you rather have your degree from, Indiana or Mississippi State?
It’s not even close the BIG is far and away the better conference. They have the major markets, more alums, more prestige, and a lot more money!
Spot on

That's what I gathered, but my eyes were rolling a bunch while reading so wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Yeah, I think someone misread the article.

And Hayes has a perverse view of what's happening in college football if he thinks the SEC is some innocent bystander here who could be a victim of apparent BIG greediness.

His logic seems to be the BIG taking USC and UCLA might be the last big blow to the current conference landscape but it's not the biggest move, it's just one in a line of big moves. The BIG only took USC and UCLA largely because of the SEC grabbing OU and TX. It's just a snowball rolling downhill here.
Perhaps the SEC commish didn't give any quotes for the story. The author expressed his thoughts more than actual quotes from Sankey, but don't think there aren't people within the SEC who feel this way. The reporting on current events has been fast and furious. It's been challenging to keep up with what who said what. I've listened to podcasts from several SEC schools that think this way. Some have dropped hints similar to what the author writes in the article. It's not as if some of the article's information is hyperbole. I do know from the podcasts that the SEC commish is pissed with the recent moves of the B1G. That much has been repeated on podcasts, with SEC insiders confirming it.

And Video Killed the Radio Star.
Nothing is ruined. Nothing.

I don't know man. Conferences are being destroyed. Schools are finding themselves scrambling for a conference to play in. Power is being consolidated, lots of schools will be left out in the cold never having even a chance a success - not to mention a National Championship or a top 25.

That's pretty close to ruined.

SEC has long harmed college football making the sport an "arms race". Paying HCs and assistants huge amounts of money. Lokk no further than Bama where former HCs are paid large sums.
SEC harmed College Football long ago with their teams paying off players and their families.

I don't know man. Conferences are being destroyed. Schools are finding themselves scrambling for a conference to play in. Power is being consolidated, lots of schools will be left out in the cold never having even a chance a success - not to mention a National Championship or a top 25.

Despite threats of a B10/SEC only playoff, as long as there is "inclusion" (probably not as much as the last proposal though), I think the sport will be okay. I think it will have some inclusion because it's good for the health of the sport and just for political reasons. I mean Cincy just made the playoffs in a 4 team model so in an expanded model, that probability would only grow.. Cincy and other lower status programs have had worthy accomplishments in the past from BCS bowls and the like.

In an expanded playoff (quite possibly 12 teams) these teams that get left out will have a chance for meaningful accomplishments. Look at what Gonzaga has turned into, gone from upstart to contender. I don't know if you can expect that much in football but something to a lesser degree. Did the BE basketball teams wither after the split. Villanova won a NC after.

Instead of top 6 conf champs maybe something like top 4 or 5 will happen and the rest at large bids. In that kind of environment, I think teams that get left out can emerge, just like Cincy, UCF, BSU have in the past, and have meaningful accomplishments and keep interest broad and alive in the sport.

Last edited:
A little blurb on RU/Maryland in an Athletic article this morning about how it went down. Sounds like some posters on our board concerned about what we had to do vs what others will have to do lol. Case by case basis has always been my thought.

From the Athletic:

Representatives from Maryland and Rutgers, the Big Ten’s most recent additions from the 2014 realignment, had the most questions for Warren, given all of the financial hoops they had to jump through upon joining the conference. Warren, a league source said, eased the schools’ concerns and got everyone on the same page.

Travel was one of the biggest concerns — there are nearly 2,800 miles between the campuses of Rutgers and UCLA, for example — though most schools eventually came to the conclusion that travel would be a bigger question for USC and UCLA than for current members. (A message sent by Iowa athletic director Gary Barta to his staff on Thursday night echoed as much: “The process to integrate these two institutions to the Big Ten is just beginning. This includes, but is not limited to, scheduling, travel, and missed class time.”)

Warren’s call with ADs on Wednesday night served as a “speak now or forever hold your peace” moment. Everyone present agreed that adding USC and UCLA would benefit the Big Ten.

Why not? UCLA was thought to be unbreakable from Cal. Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State. Happens all the time

Somewhat agree which is why I didn't post the thread myself when I saw it a few hours ago.

Who cares about the total package. These conferences exist in today’s world because of football, and football only. USC and UCLA didn’t leave the PAC because of academics or basketball, hockey, or any other Olympic sport.

Were people saying the same thing in 2011-12 when the Big East collapsed as a football conference, and RU was relegated to the AAC?

Look at where RU is know.

And Cincy and UCF. Things evolve.

Despite threats of a B10/SEC only playoff, as long as there is "inclusion" (probably not as much as the last proposal though), I think the sport will be okay. I think it will have some inclusion because it's good for the health of the sport and just for political reasons. I mean Cincy just made the playoffs in a 4 team model so in an expanded model, that probability would only grow.. Cincy and other lower status programs have had worthy accomplishments in the past from BCS bowls and the like.

In an expanded playoff (quite possibly 12 teams) these teams that get left out will have a chance for meaningful accomplishments. Look at what Gonzaga has turned into, gone from upstart to contender. I don't know if you can expect that much in football but something to a lesser degree. Did the BE basketball teams whither after the split. Villanova won a NC after.

Instead of top 6 conf champs maybe something like top 4 or 5 will happen and the rest at large bids. In that kind of environment, I think teams that get left out can emerge, just like Cincy, UCF, BSU have in the past, and have meaningful accomplishments and keep interest broad and alive in the sport.

IMO the combination of NIL driving college free agent player moves added to the big conferences getting more and more powerful is still a move in the wrong direction. The table is set for more power to be aggregated to the already powerful. Especially the ever increasing money for the "Haves" will drive better facilities faster than the "Have Nots" adding an ever increasing advantage in recruiting too.

Even if the door is open to a Championship the growing advantage to the "Haves" is IMO going to make them an opportunity in name only.

I'm afraid eventually we'll have the B1G, SEC and 75 UCONNs. Even if I enjoy UCONN in that position I think we'll all miss games like a competitive Pitt-Pedd State game.

Just seems to me we're going to have 2 or 3 major conferences and the rest will be AAA conferences feeding talent to the big ones every year. To me that sucks.

Were people saying the same thing in 2011-12 when the Big East collapsed as a football conference, and RU was relegated to the AAC?

Look at where RU is know.

And Cincy and UCF. Things evolve.

I get your point - but I think the Big East collapse was a reshuffling. Changes now look like we've passed an inflection point where the B1G and SEC will only get stronger and richer and the rest of the schools will be like the college minor leagues for reasons I just outlined above.

You're seeing just another re-shuffle. I'm afraid we've changed the paradigm.

Football, basketball, baseball, women's gymnastics, etc. all SEC. Look at Indiana basketball how far that has fallen. We are only talking athletics, media isn't paying for academics. The Ivy League academic wise has it all over everybody. This is simply a case of demographics, it is undeniable that the country is moving South. B1G as long as we have OSU will always be in the conversation and at worst #2, but football drives the bus on this topic and football is the SEC

I live in the burbs north of Dallas. Frisco/McKinney to be exact. Many neighbors show their support for their college Alma Mater (or team they grew up rooting for) via decorated stones, flags, etc. Now granted, this is not very scientific, but B1G flags are more prominently displayed than any other conference. In my small little hood alone you see OSU, PSU, Michigan, Rutgers (me), Nebraska, MSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. We are invading the south. Oh and my neighbor has a USC flag so we can count him now too.

IMO the combination of NIL driving college free agent player moves added to the big conferences getting more and more powerful is still a move in the wrong direction. The table is set for more power to be aggregated to the already powerful. Especially the ever increasing money for the "Haves" will drive better facilities faster than the "Have Nots" adding an ever increasing advantage in recruiting too.

Even if the door is open to a Championship the growing advantage to the "Haves" is IMO going to make them an opportunity in name only.

I'm afraid eventually we'll have the B1G, SEC and 75 UCONNs. Even if I enjoy UCONN in that position I think we'll all miss games like a competitive Pitt-Pedd State game.

Just seems to me we're going to have 2 or 3 major conferences and the rest will be AAA conferences feeding talent to the big ones every year. To me that sucks.
Your point about haves and have nots and all the rest are real and true. My point is in history we’ve seen teams and schools that are have nots and facing tough structural and financial odds emerge and have meaningful accomplishments.

As long as there is a path for those meaningful accomplishments (expanded playoffs etc) then I think that will continue to happen.

With all the angst about NIL, portals etc..I’ve always said limited roster spots, limited playing time and even more limited starting time will allow for solid contributing good talent to be squeezed out to programs down the totem pole. So with a good coach and that kind of talent who knows what can be accomplished as long as you give them a path for it. Championships are probably a bridge too far but playoff appearances and advancement, I think is quite possible. IMO that’s meaningful. It’s good or the health of the sport too.

In an expanded playoff (quite possibly 12 teams) these teams that get left out will have a chance for meaningful accomplishments. Look at what Gonzaga has turned into, gone from upstart to contender. I don't know if you can expect that much in football but something to a lesser degree. Did the BE basketball teams wither after the split. Villanova won a NC after.

I think you make valid points about the new playoff system providing “access” to the championship playoff to all D1 schools but the SEC and BIG are raising their economic stature in order to do things much differently than all the other conferences. They will institute they’re own policies like formalizing the payment of players when the time arises and most schools outside the P2 will not be able to keep up.

GO RU

I was thinking the same thing, right across the board. The SEC would be taking programs in markets that they already have.
The BIG would probably win the battle for ND North Carolina and Virginia (NC and Virginia would go for the research dollars).and have the west coast teams too.
Right now they will make a fortune with 16 and grow their brand.
The way it stands now with ghe west coast schools on an island. Maybe they will add a couple more PAC schools in the future.
What does ‘go for the research dollars’ mean ? Moronic. Talk about not having a shred of a fragment of a clue…

Who cares about the total package. These conferences exist in today’s world because of football, and football only. USC and UCLA didn’t leave the PAC because of academics or basketball, hockey, or any other Olympic sport.
And they didn’t leave to go to the SEC either!! If the SEC is the best football conference and it’s “ “ALL” about football why didn’t they go to the SEC?
Maybe the BIG offers just a little bit more than football? Yeash!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT