ADVERTISEMENT

OT: CFB TV ratings and related news

rutgersguy1

Hall of Famer
Dec 17, 2008
Always come across this kind of stuff and never know where to add it so figure start a thread for those, like myself, who might be interested in this kind of news, especially with the TV deals coming up.

Also Sean McManus was at SBJ conference last week and talked about CBS still wanting to be in the business of big time college football going forward. I've always said a 2nd tier B10 game might not be out of the question. Good opportunity for the PAC12/B12 to raise their profiles too or maybe Alliance games.

From the article:

“[The SEC on CBS has] been great for us, and I think we’ve been really good for the SEC also. It’s the most valuable window in college football, the 3:30 (p.m. Eastern) window on CBS. We plan to be involved in the business of college football, big-time college football, going forward, and to take advantage of that tradition we’ve established.”

“You know, when we put the SEC on national television back in 2001, people thought we were crazy; ‘The Southeastern Conference? Who in the Midwest and the Northeast and the West is going to care about the SEC?’ But we promoted it, and we said ‘Every week at 3:30, you’re going to see the best SEC game. We grew it. And I think for 12 years in a row, it’s been the most-viewed window in all of college football.”

“And I think, whatever we decide to do, that window is still going to be available for high-profile, very watchable college football. We’ve got two more years to go on our deal, as you’ve said, we’re going to continue to promote it and produce it, and I think our production team is great. And that’s part of the reason why it’s such a great window; the games look and feel different the way our CBS team produces them.”

“And I think, quite frankly, it’s been a real advantage for the SEC from a recruiting standpoint and a positioning or branding standpoint. If you’re a recruit at Alabama, Nick Saban can say ‘You’re going to be on CBS, the most-watched window in college football. You’re going to be on national television five times.’ We know we have Alabama five times every year.”

From an article in the Athletic:

McManus added that the end of the deal “doesn’t mean we are not in the college football business. I think we will be aggressively in the future.” If that’s the case, the upcoming college football rights deal to watch would be the Big Ten, whose football deals expire with Fox and ESPN in 2024, and the Pac 12, whose deals run through the 2023-24 school year.

Also from the same article Burke Magnus of ESPN/ABC said they plan on putting the SEC in the 3:30 window but not necessarily the highest profile SEC game in the slot. They will mix and match around.

Always come across this kind of stuff and never know where to add it so figure start a thread for those, like myself, who might be interested in this kind of news, especially with the TV deals coming up.

Also Sean McManus was at SBJ conference last week and talked about CBS still wanting to be in the business of big time college football going forward. I've always said a 2nd tier B10 game might not be out of the question. Good opportunity for the PAC12/B12 to raise their profiles too or maybe Alliance games.

From the article:

“[The SEC on CBS has] been great for us, and I think we’ve been really good for the SEC also. It’s the most valuable window in college football, the 3:30 (p.m. Eastern) window on CBS. We plan to be involved in the business of college football, big-time college football, going forward, and to take advantage of that tradition we’ve established.”

“You know, when we put the SEC on national television back in 2001, people thought we were crazy; ‘The Southeastern Conference? Who in the Midwest and the Northeast and the West is going to care about the SEC?’ But we promoted it, and we said ‘Every week at 3:30, you’re going to see the best SEC game. We grew it. And I think for 12 years in a row, it’s been the most-viewed window in all of college football.”

“And I think, whatever we decide to do, that window is still going to be available for high-profile, very watchable college football. We’ve got two more years to go on our deal, as you’ve said, we’re going to continue to promote it and produce it, and I think our production team is great. And that’s part of the reason why it’s such a great window; the games look and feel different the way our CBS team produces them.”

“And I think, quite frankly, it’s been a real advantage for the SEC from a recruiting standpoint and a positioning or branding standpoint. If you’re a recruit at Alabama, Nick Saban can say ‘You’re going to be on CBS, the most-watched window in college football. You’re going to be on national television five times.’ We know we have Alabama five times every year.”

From an article in the Athletic:

McManus added that the end of the deal “doesn’t mean we are not in the college football business. I think we will be aggressively in the future.” If that’s the case, the upcoming college football rights deal to watch would be the Big Ten, whose football deals expire with Fox and ESPN in 2024, and the Pac 12, whose deals run through the 2023-24 school year.

Also from the same article Burke Magnus of ESPN/ABC said they plan on putting the SEC in the 3:30 window but not necessarily the highest profile SEC game in the slot. They will mix and match around.
Good article . I think FOX really opened things up in the noon window by putting big games on there . They realized there was a hole there and exploited it .
I really appreciate what CBS has done with the 330 SEC window . That is a good production . I would love if the big ten can be a part of it. How about Ohio state at rutgers in 2025 at 330 pm on CBS with BIG East title ramifications ?

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Good article . I think FOX really opened things up in the noon window by putting big games on there . They realized there was a hole there and exploited it .
I really appreciate what CBS has done with the 330 SEC window . That is a good production . I would love if the big ten can be a part of it. How about Ohio state at rutgers in 2025 at 330 pm on CBS with BIG East title ramifications ?
Yea Big Noon has been really successful for Fox. It’s good as a college football fan to have a high profile and hopefully good game in every time window from noon through primetime.

Agree. The Big Ten we're famous for big time noon games. Got away from it for a few years but killing it this year. Would expect a traditional OSU/Mich noon game to dominate the weekend Thanksgiving Saturday

Agree. The Big Ten we're famous for big time noon games. Got away from it for a few years but killing it this year. Would expect a traditional OSU/Mich noon game to dominate the weekend Thanksgiving Saturday
That’s for sure the way the season has been going for both teams. If they both win this week, it could be the highest rated game of the year. Think UGA/Alabama champ game could be comparable give or take.

Looks like ND tv ratings taking a hit this year. Article is paywall but you the gist from this teaser blurb.

Notre Dame football lost nearly half its TV audience from last season. Viewership for the Fighting Irish’s games on NBC is down 48% from '20, averaging 2.5 million viewers. Last season, Notre Dame games on NBC averaged 4.8 million viewers. No Irish game this season drew more than 4 million....

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Looks like ND tv ratings taking a hit this year. Article is paywall but you the gist from this teaser blurb.

Notre Dame football lost nearly half its TV audience from last season. Viewership for the Fighting Irish’s games on NBC is down 48% from '20, averaging 2.5 million viewers. Last season, Notre Dame games on NBC averaged 4.8 million viewers. No Irish game this season drew more than 4 million....

They should have never messed around with peacock

They should have never messed around with peacock
That was just one game, Toledo. How about the rest. Mind you the schedule hasn't been good because teams like USC, Stanford have fallen off a cliff. UNC didn't live up to expectations either. The rest not that strong either. But still that's a big drop in ratings.

If ND takes a hit on its next tv deal they may be forced to join the ACC in football. Times they are a changin.

That was just one game, Toledo. How about the rest. Mind you the schedule hasn't been good because teams like USC, Stanford have fallen off a cliff. UNC didn't live up to expectations either. The rest not that strong either. But still that's a big drop in ratings.
It was one of the best games of the season .
Another way to look at it is what were the other games those days. Usually nd is against the big sec game on cbs

If ND takes a hit on its next tv deal they may be forced to join the ACC in football. Times they are a changin.
They’re already behind by a bit and I don’t think they care they have lots of money. It’s having a stable home for their sports and national exposure, specifically the east coast, that they need. Tv money compared to the B10…43 million vs 22 million in 2019..mentioned in that article I posted in the ND LSU thread.

ACC GOR expiration is what could force their hand to join if teams leave or threaten to leave at that time. I don’t think anything else is really an issue for them.

It was one of the best games of the season .
Another way to look at it is what were the other games those days. Usually nd is against the big sec game on cbs
One game is a blip whether it’s positive or negative…it’s the trend over the season that matters and having weak teams on the other side didn’t help them. But still a 50% drop is a lot even taking the weak schedule into account.

One game is a blip whether it’s positive or negative…it’s the trend over the season that matters and having weak teams on the other side didn’t help them. But still a 50% drop is a lot even taking the weak schedule into account.
LSU didn’t seem to care

I've mentioned in a few threads here that I could see the B10 pick up the spot the SEC left behind with CBS. I was thinking of a 2nd tier game a week but this prediction from Ourand takes it even further than that. He thinks the B10 might leave ESPN all together and split its package between Fox and CBS. That's the exact opposite move from the SEC who went all in with ESPN. I would think the B10 would at least keep a foot behind in the worldwide leader of sports network but who knows. I'm not sure how good this guy is at predicting things.

It's actually good for everyone the more networks that are involved regardless of which conference is tied up with whichever network. The more parties involved with the playoffs and these regular season conference packages the better off everyone is.

What was the rating for Army Navy on Saturday? Couldn't find it in a quick search

What was the rating for Army Navy on Saturday? Couldn't find it in a quick search

The Army-Navy Game averaged a 4.2 rating and 7.57 million viewers on CBS Saturday afternoon, up 51% in ratings and 54% in viewership from last year — when it faced a full slate of college football games — but down 13% and 2% respectively from 2019 (4.9, 7.72M).

Navy’s win, which peaked with just shy of 10 million viewers, delivered the fifth-largest audience for the Army-Navy game in the 25 years since it began airing on CBS. With that said, it topped only last year as the least-watched edition of the game since 2015.

Army-Navy tied the tenth-highest college football rating of the season and delivered the 13th-largest audience.

From the same article posted above but just pulling out different passage from it with regards to the networks ratings in general.

From the article:

CBS finished the college football season averaging 5.34 million viewers per game, leading all networks. A comparison to last year was not immediately available. ABC ranked second at 4.04 million, up 25% from last year, up 2% from 2019 and its most-watched season in four years. An updated average for FOX was not immediately available, but the network was averaging 3.90 million entering the Big Ten Championship Game (+5%). As previously reported, FOX “Big Noon Saturday” was the most-watched individual window of the season.

On the cable side, games averaged 1.73 million viewers on ESPN and 643,000 on ESPN2, up 16% and 65% respectively from last year. ESPN’s College Gameday averaged 1.88 million, not including this past weekend’s edition prior to Army-Navy, up 39% from last year.

This definitely also shows that Fox and ABC have cemented themselves as destinations for college football on Saturday evening. Outside of a few prime matchups at noon I believe the majority of these were even games. Unless you are a diehard Notre Dame fan you’re not searching for the games whereas I knew that I could get a great matchup on Saturday night that was usually very close up until the end.

Would not be surprised to see Notre Dame relegated to USA network.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT