ADVERTISEMENT

Pac 12 Media Rights - Conference Realignment

Why are you lecturing the fans of an AAU school about research funding in a thread about realignment?
so he/she can put PITT in a realignment thread when Pitt isn't considered a program that the B1G or SEC would be poaching from the ACC , nor are they on the same level as Clemson or FSU in being able to demand a bigger cut of Conference revenue and be taken seriously by the media.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizona Knight
people need to stop, nothing wrong with that flag. For many southerners, it's a symbol of souther heritage and nothing more. If that flag offends, you got bigger issues than worrying about that cloth

that said, it shouldn't fly on state capital buildings because it's a battle flag although I understand the southern heritage to it. Some of you bigoted northerners may find it incredulous that many blacks in the south actually love and fly that flag or at least until they were shamed not to by vocal minority.

Here you go again. The flag is a symbol of oppression to many and the confederates were traitors to the USA. Put the flag in a museum. Thankfully, many of the traitor statues are coming down throughout the South.

I'd personally love to see Pitt in the Big Ten, but it won't happen. Syracuse and Pitt moving to the ACC seemed like a win for them at the time, but the longer-term prospects aren't so bright. Still better than the Big East II, though.

I have read some legal interpretations that said it takes a majority, some that said it would take a unanimous vote, to throw out the GOR.
I doubt it’s a simple majority and more likely a super majority at least, if not unanimous. It takes a super majority to kick out a member, it’s more than likely it would take at least that much to alter/dissolve such an important document.

IIRC it also took unanimous approval to put the GOR in place so it would be just as likely that it would take unanimous consent to change it or dissolve it. It’s seems similar to the current CFP agreement which needed unanimous approval to come into place and needed unanimous approval to alter for the recent playoff expansion.

I doubt it’s a simple majority and more likely a super majority at least, if not unanimous. It takes a super majority to kick out a member, it’s more than likely it would take at least that much to alter/dissolve such an important document.

IIRC it also took unanimous approval to put the GOR in place so it would be just as likely that it would take unanimous consent to change it or dissolve it. It’s seems similar to the current CFP agreement which needed unanimous approval to come into place and needed unanimous approval to alter for the recent playoff expansion.
I’m the recent example of Texas and Oklahoma, it needed to be unanimous including all
Parties including the media partners.

Why are you lecturing the fans of an AAU school about research funding in a thread about realignment?

I thought the reason we are talking about realignment was because it was about money.

I'm talking about money.

No one is lecturing anyone but presenting alternative views on making money.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
so he/she can put PITT in a realignment thread when Pitt isn't considered a program that the B1G or SEC would be poaching from the ACC , nor are they on the same level as Clemson or FSU in being able to demand a bigger cut of Conference revenue and be taken seriously by the media.

I thought we are talking about the ACC Conference which Pitt is a member.

Some on the board are saying that the ACC will fall apart and I am disagreeing with those assertions.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
8 teams are needed to void the GOR
The big 4 are no-brainers (FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA)

The next 4 are tricky
A combination of NC State, Ville, VT, Duke, GT, Miami would need to find another home
*** Pitt also in consideration, then Cuse, then BC/Wake, but BC/Wake and likely Cuse have no shot

That other home is either PAC (along w/Big 4 as a rumor of PAC/ACC merger has been tossed around), though I don't believe that

Other realistic option is the B12, which would make sense as they'd be the clear # 3, are on better footing than the ACC, and aren't dead man walking like the ACC

Big 4 entice little 4 w/money and lay out the blueprint
Get some help from ESPN

And....there you have it
My prediction is 2-3 years based on what I've heard

Could be longer, maybe 5-6 years
But eventually, and long before 2036...it will happen

I thought the reason we are talking about realignment was because it was about money.

I'm talking about money.

No one is lecturing anyone but presenting alternative views on making money.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
No. We are talking about realignment. As a consequence, what conference you are in has an economic impact, but we are still talking about realignment.

I thought we are talking about the ACC Conference which Pitt is a member.

Some on the board are saying that the ACC will fall apart and I am disagreeing with those assertions.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Maybe you haven’t been keeping up with common events just as you haven’t been keeping up with this thread. Your two best football properties are publicly voicing their concern about the ACC. And this is not coming from some folks on this board instead it’s coming from the president of Florida State University.

1)
Lets say Florida St can get out and brings Georgia Tech or Clemson to the Big10.

Wouldn't they be first to leave if the SEC came calling? Would we want them? Or is this concern unfounded?

2)
Lets say the GOR is Iron Clad, SEC/BIG10 doesn't want Florida St.

With North Carolina, Virginia, Florida St and Clemson, they are in a way better position than the BIG12 or PAC12. After getting pennies for the next 12 years, wouldn't a future contract eclipse the Bottom 2. Sure they wouldn't be close to the Power 2, but a strong 3rd.

Anyone see a ACC in 2036 with the stronger programs getting more money, but signing away their future if they feel the Power 2 don't want to expand?

3)
Lets say Florida St does get out and is coveted by BIG or SEC. Then for sure North Carolina, Virginia, Clemson, Oregon and Washington finds homes in the Power 2 as dominos would fall. Likely Notre Dame joins BIG10 as well.

Do you think the ACC and PAC12 remnants merge?,
Does Big12 scoop up best of the rest for a strong 3rd conference which the leftovers joining AAC, C-USA, MW etc.

My take is GOR is Iron Clad and ACC future depends on BIG10 or SEC wanting to get to ~20 teams in 10 years.
  • I think that occurs and SEC tries to pick up 4 ACC schools in early 2030s. The BIG10 also picks up 4 between PAC12 and ACC.
  • The Corner PAC12 schools will determine if they want an ACC merge or just join the BIG12. I think they go Big12
  • Remaining ACC and PAC12 schools merge into group of 5.
  • Only way ACC and PAC12 survive is if remaining ACC teams can convince the 4 Corner Schools to merge and have the coasts. But i believe that will not happen

1)
Lets say Florida St can get out and brings Georgia Tech or Clemson to the Big10.

Wouldn't they be first to leave if the SEC came calling? Would we want them? Or is this concern unfounded?

2)

With North Carolina, Virginia, Florida St and Clemson, they are in a way better position than the BIG12 or PAC12. After getting pennies for the next 12 years, wouldn't a future contract eclipse the Bottom 2. Sure they wouldn't be close to the Power 2, but a strong 3rd.

Anyone see a ACC in 2036 with the stronger programs getting more money, but signing away their future if they feel the Power 2 don't want to expand?

3)
Lets say Florida St does get out and is coveted by BIG or SEC. Then for sure North Carolina, Virginia, Clemson, Oregon and Washington finds homes in the Power 2 as dominos would fall. Likely Notre Dame joins BIG10 as well.

Does Big12 scoop up best of the rest for a strong 3rd conference which the leftovers joining AAC, C-USA, MW etc.

My take is GOR is Iron Clad and ACC future depends on BIG10 or SEC wanting to get to ~20 teams in 10 years.
  • I think that occurs and SEC tries to pick up 4 ACC schools in early 2030s. The BIG10 also picks up 4 between PAC12 and ACC.
  • The Corner PAC12 schools will determine if they want an ACC merge or just join the BIG12. I think they go Big12
  • Only way ACC and PAC12 survive is if remaining ACC teams can convince the 4 Corner Schools to merge and have the coasts. But i believe that will not happen
Great points all around. This stuff is truly fascinating to me, and others, so I'll put my two cents in as to what I've heard from people on the know:

1. Clemson is SEC all the way. B1G does not want them for a litany of reasons.

GA Tech to the B1G is definitely a possibility, but they're not remotely close to the top of the list. FSU, UVA, UNC are the top prizes (not in that order, UNC is first choice for the B1G, outside of Notre Dame).

FSU has had talks w/the B1G and would absolutely go if invited to to either SEC or B1G (assuming GOR is figured out).

2. Similar to the "alliance" treaty last year between B1G and ACC, not likely to happen but plausible. Would be a stop gap 4-5 year plan until GOR issues are figured out / monies negotiated - certainly not long term for FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA, etc. but could be for lesser programs, especially if there's a B12 element

3. Yes, along w/B12. Not sure of logistics between 3 lesser conferences joining up (b12, ACC, and Pac) - i.e. who stays and who goes. Depends how big they make it, which has to do w/money. Leftovers are screwed

This will happen before 2030. Too many valuable programs that won't get left behind as the gap by then will be ~300 million, possibly more.

PAC cable deal plays a huge role, that and ND hold the next dominoes

ACC implosion also possible if Big 4 convince others to bail as they need 8 schools to void GOR. FSU leading the way, Clemson not far behind.

1)

2)

3)

The ACC should be making much more money, and not be at the B1G/SEC level but in a tier by themself below that.

Theoretically, they could do what you have listed in #2 in 12 years, but they are in a “Prisoner’s Dilemma” and will all be looking for new homes before this contract runs out instead of working together.

The ACC and PAC12 remnants will not merge, because the PAC12 remnants will have been cherry picked by the B12 already. The B12 will take the schools they want that are leftover from the the ACC, but schools like Wake, BC and possibly Syracuse are likely f**ked.

The ACC should be making much more money, and not be at the B1G/SEC level but in a tier by themself below that.

Theoretically, they could do what you have listed in #2 in 12 years, but they are in a “Prisoner’s Dilemma” and will all be looking for new homes before this contract runs out instead of working together.

The ACC and PAC12 remnants will not merge, because the PAC12 remnants will have been cherry picked by the B12 already. The B12 will take the schools they want that are leftover from the the ACC, but schools like Wake, BC and possibly Syracuse are likely f**ked.
Spot on brother
Entirely too much dead weight in the ACC

It doesn't sound like anything happening any time soon (2-3 years) like I mentioned and uneven revenue distribution takes 2/3 approval, you don't think changing/dissolving the GOR will take that much at least. It's doing exactly what is was meant to do as in hold everyone together while it's in force or to near the end at least.

Excerpts from the article:

The league's agreement with its member schools requires an exit fee equal to three times annual revenue, or about $120 million. But the grant of rights could potentially prevent a team from earning TV revenue -- or possibly even broadcasting its games -- until the agreement expires. Phillips has frequently pointed at the plights of Texas, Oklahoma, USC and UCLA as examples of how difficult it would be for a team to exit its grant of rights. The Longhorns and Sooners were forced to wait three seasons after announcing their intent to join the SEC, and still will pay $100 million to buy out the final year of their deal with the Big 12.

ACC schools have 13 years remaining on their deal.

Over the past two years, a number of schools have sent teams of lawyers to examine the official grant of rights document, either looking for a potential pathway out or assurances that the biggest brands can't leave without a serious fight.

As one administrator told ESPN, those reviews have established several potentially compelling arguments for breaking the agreement but have uncovered no obvious loophole that would provide a pathway out without engaging in protracted litigation.

"Is it worth the paper it's written on?" one AD said. "If one school starts to leave, then another, how strong is it? It would involve a major legal battle."

And as one athletic director pointed out, it would also require another conference to extend an invitation to join before knowing whether it would have rights to broadcast that team's games. It's a legal Catch-22.

But for all the bluster -- and at least one ACC athletic director considered Alford's comments little more than playing to his fan base -- the public statements were intended more as a warning than a threat.

Even the most seismic shifts in distribution don't exactly paint the picture of a financial windfall for power programs like Clemson and Florida State, however. Estimates shared by sources with knowledge of the discussions suggest a net shift of between $250,000 and $3 million annually -- "pocket change," as one AD called it -- leading some administrators to wonder if it's worth all the trouble.

It doesn't sound like anything happening any time soon (2-3 years) like I mentioned and uneven revenue distribution takes 2/3 approval, you don't think changing/dissolving the GOR will take that much at least. It's doing exactly what is was meant to do as in hold everyone together while it's in force or to near the end at least.

Excerpts from the article:

The league's agreement with its member schools requires an exit fee equal to three times annual revenue, or about $120 million. But the grant of rights could potentially prevent a team from earning TV revenue -- or possibly even broadcasting its games -- until the agreement expires. Phillips has frequently pointed at the plights of Texas, Oklahoma, USC and UCLA as examples of how difficult it would be for a team to exit its grant of rights. The Longhorns and Sooners were forced to wait three seasons after announcing their intent to join the SEC, and still will pay $100 million to buy out the final year of their deal with the Big 12.

ACC schools have 13 years remaining on their deal.

Over the past two years, a number of schools have sent teams of lawyers to examine the official grant of rights document, either looking for a potential pathway out or assurances that the biggest brands can't leave without a serious fight.

As one administrator told ESPN, those reviews have established several potentially compelling arguments for breaking the agreement but have uncovered no obvious loophole that would provide a pathway out without engaging in protracted litigation.

"Is it worth the paper it's written on?" one AD said. "If one school starts to leave, then another, how strong is it? It would involve a major legal battle."

And as one athletic director pointed out, it would also require another conference to extend an invitation to join before knowing whether it would have rights to broadcast that team's games. It's a legal Catch-22.

But for all the bluster -- and at least one ACC athletic director considered Alford's comments little more than playing to his fan base -- the public statements were intended more as a warning than a threat.

Even the most seismic shifts in distribution don't exactly paint the picture of a financial windfall for power programs like Clemson and Florida State, however. Estimates shared by sources with knowledge of the discussions suggest a net shift of between $250,000 and $3 million annually -- "pocket change," as one AD called it -- leading some administrators to wonder if it's worth all the trouble.

You’ll need multiple schools to try to challenge it

One or two going out alone is not worth it, which is why the big four need to convince the others to go along w the plan

You’ll need multiple schools to try to challenge it

One or two going out alone is not worth it, which is why the big four need to convince the others to go along w the plan
They can challenge all they want, it doesn't sound like it's going to be something that's decided quickly and no conference is likely to want to add a school while it's in a protracted legal battle. How many presidents of schools looking to bail will want to be in one either? I think not many, if any.

The public talk is just bluster and exactly what I was thinking when the FSU AD came out with their comments. The article points to another AD thinking the same. I remember a past FSU BOT member with comments about the B12 some time ago, nothing happened. I remember when the OU prez made comments when that whole PAC12 play was happening and fell through about "how we didn't start it but we'll finish it" ..nothing happened. They just talk and play to their base but in the end nothing happens. These are school presidents, not activist investors like Icahn or Peltz who won't shy away from proxy fights, PR battles and getting in mud if necessary. They're conservative and don't want to upset the apple cart and most won't be there when the time actually comes for a move, so why go through the trouble during your tenure.

I agree with the Clemson ADs quote at the end of the article. "Don't be surprised when schools look to leave" ....well duh that's obvious. The issue isn't that they will leave, it's when they will leave and that likely won't be until the 2030s.

They can challenge all they want, it doesn't sound like it's going to be something that's decided quickly and no conference is likely to want to add a school while it's in a protracted legal battle. How many presidents of schools looking to bail will want to be in one either? I think not many, if any.

The public talk is just bluster and exactly what I was thinking when the FSU AD came out with their comments. The article points to another AD thinking the same. I remember a past FSU BOT member with comments about the B12 some time ago, nothing happened. I remember when the OU prez made comments when that whole PAC12 play was happening and fell through about "how we didn't start it but we'll finish it" ..nothing happened. They just talk and play to their base but in the end nothing happens. These are school presidents, not activist investors like Icahn or Peltz who won't shy away from proxy fights, PR battles and getting in mud if necessary. They're conservative and don't want to upset the apple cart and most won't be there when the time actually comes for a move, so why go through the trouble during your tenure.

I agree with the Clemson ADs quote at the end of the article. "Don't be surprised when schools look to leave" ....well duh that's obvious. The issue isn't that they will leave, it's when they will leave and that likely won't be until the 2030s.
All of the talk revolves lives around the huge downside of a team leaving, losing in court and owing hundreds of millions to the ACC. No school can risk that and no other conference is going to get mixed up in that by offering an ACC school.

I’m no lawyer, and am wondering if it doesn’t make more sense for a school like FSU or Clemson to not say they are leaving the ACC, but instead challenge the GOR the court on the grounds it is keeping them from being able to explore their options.

If they get a favorable ruling they could then put themselves on the market. If they don’t, they have to stay in a conference for more years with other schools that now hate them, but they wouldn’t owe hundreds of millions.

All of the talk revolves lives around the huge downside of a team leaving, losing in court and owing hundreds of millions to the ACC. No school can risk that and no other conference is going to get mixed up in that by offering an ACC school.

I’m no lawyer, and am wondering if it doesn’t make more sense for a school like FSU or Clemson to not say they are leaving the ACC, but instead challenge the GOR the court on the grounds it is keeping them from being able to explore their options.

If they get a favorable ruling they could then put themselves on the market. If they don’t, they have to stay in a conference for more years with other schools that now hate them, but they wouldn’t owe hundreds of millions.
You know I read something about a move like that with regards to the B12. From what I’ve read in the past, the ACC GOR is basically copied from the B12 even word for word in parts.

Basically there was a clause in the B12 that said if you even challenge the GOR it’s assumed you’re leaving and you lose your vote etc… it was a way from warding off even the thought of challenging it.

You know I read something about a move like that with regards to the B12. From what I’ve read in the past, the ACC GOR is basically copied from the B12 even word for word in parts.

Basically there was a clause in the B12 that said if you even challenge the GOR it’s assumed you’re leaving and you lose your vote etc… it was a way from warding off even the thought of challenging it.
I should have figured that the teams of lawyers the schools have looking at it would have considered that already.

You're assuming the majority of schools in the league are ok with getting shafted
Absent of Wake and BC, and possibly Syracuse, that's likely not the case

Big 4 - FSU, Clemson, UVA, UNC - all want out
Next few - Miami, NC State, VT, Louisville, Pitt, GT, Duke - debatable

Next few is where it gets tricky, as you'll have to convince at least 4 of those schools to join you in the legal fight.

Miami, NC State and Virginia Tech should be easy. Ville one would assume so as they've dumped a ton into football. Pitt... who knows. GT and Duke I could see being difficult. Cuse, Wake and BC... who cares.

Assuming Alford's comments are bluster is simply false. FSU is taking the lead (followed by Clemson) in getting out of this mess. Don't pay attention to the BOT members - though involved, and politically motivated, they're taking cues from the AD and President. When you're at a school like FSU, you simply do not let football go by the wayside. It's a way of life there; not a hobby or something considered dispensable.

Nobody's playing to anybody's base. All in all, it's a different ballgame down south. It isn't just football down there. It's more important than you, or I, could ever realize.

Assuming that university presidents are "conservative and don't want to upset the apple cart and most won't be there when the time actually comes for a move, so why go through the trouble during your tenure" is simply off base.

President Richard McCullough was brought in with clear directives - get FSU to AAU status and continue the ascension into top 15 national rankings in USNWR

AD Alford came over from Boosters with a clear understanding of what is needed to elevate FSU to the next level. Having previously been at Bama, Oklahoma, USC and with the Cowboys, he knows how to effectively maneuver the landscape while getting optimal results

WTBS, there's a clear plan in place to get out of the GOR. A few things remain though for it to happen tomorrow (PAC cable deal, getting additional schools on board, ESPN, and, wait for it... negotiations).

They'll get out, and it will be well before 2036. The main questions though, for the 10th time, are when, where, at what cost, and with whom.

You're assuming the majority of schools in the league are ok with getting shafted

Next few is where it gets tricky, as you'll have to convince at least 4 of those schools to join you in the legal fight.

Miami, NC State and Virginia Tech should be easy. Ville one would assume so as they've dumped a ton into football. Pitt... who knows. GT and Duke I could see being difficult. Cuse, Wake and BC... who cares.

Assuming Alford's comments are bluster is simply false. FSU is taking the lead (followed by Clemson) in getting out of this mess. Don't pay attention to the BOT members - though involved, and politically motivated, they're taking cues from the AD and President. When you're at a school like FSU, you simply do not let football go by the wayside. It's a way of life there; not a hobby or something considered dispensable.

Nobody's playing to anybody's base. All in all, it's a different ballgame down south. It isn't just football down there. It's more important than you, or I, could ever realize.

Assuming that university presidents are "conservative and don't want to upset the apple cart and most won't be there when the time actually comes for a move, so why go through the trouble during your tenure" is simply off base.

President Richard McCullough was brought in with clear directives - get FSU to AAU status and continue the ascension into top 15 national rankings in USNWR

AD Alford came over from Boosters with a clear understanding of what is needed to elevate FSU to the next level. Having previously been at Bama, Oklahoma, USC and with the Cowboys, he knows how to effectively maneuver the landscape while getting optimal results

WTBS, there's a clear plan in place to get out of the GOR. A few things remain though for it to happen tomorrow (PAC cable deal, getting additional schools on board, ESPN, and, wait for it... negotiations).

They'll get out, and it will be well before 2036. The main questions though, for the 10th time, are when, where, at what cost, and with whom.
You said in 2-3 years and I’m saying nothing without a 2030 handle and probably only 1–3 years before 2036 at best.

You don’t get much crazier for football and richer than Texas and they only got out a year early: And as I’ve said for the 10th time I’ll believe it when I see it that FSU or anyone get out any time in the 2020s.

You know another reason it likely wouldn’t happen until the 2030s is that the B10’s tv deal doesn’t expire til then. The SEC’s deals are a few years later. The new SEC GoTW and rest of the package are aligned to expire at the same time now.

It’s much easier to absorb schools when it lines up with an upcoming tv deal.

I don’t doubt college football is as important TO Florida State you describe.

What you don’t get is that Florida State isn’t nearly as important to college football as you think.

The B1G isn’t going to get within 1000 miles of a GOR court battle, and ESPN isn’t going to help blow up their great ACC contract, over Florida State football.

It’s 2023, not 1998.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I don’t doubt college football is as important TO Florida State you describe.

What you don’t get is that Florida State isn’t nearly as important to college football as you think.

The B1G isn’t going to get within 1000 miles of a GOR court battle, and ESPN isn’t going to help blow up their great ACC contract, over Florida State football.

It’s 2023, not 1998.
They’re pretty important in the grand scheme of things from a money standpoint

That’s not my fandom speaking, those are facts. Alford put up the charts of where they stand the last 10 years or so, and these are during the down years.

The Big Ten would have nothing to do with a grant of rights as of now - That is between the ACC, ESPN, Florida State

However, if the Big Ten deems that adding Florida state, and/or North Carolina/Virginia woukd increase there per team payout, then, yes, they could sweeten the pot by helping each school with a monetary payout

Nothing is off the table. I’m going simply on what I’ve heard from people who are in the know, much more so than you and myself.

As I said, if I’m wrong, I’ll happily be on here to eat crow in a minute. However, I highly doubt it based on the guys I get information from our extremely tuned in.

And it’s not just guys from FSU, good buddy of mine from Clemson to big-time booster and has been singing the same tune for a while now.

Those are two heavy hitter programs, who would instantly bring increase revenue to either conference. Neither is getting left out in the dust and left to die in a vine

That’s not my fandom speaking, those are facts. Alford put up the charts of where they stand the last 10 years or so, and these are during the down years.

The Big Ten would have nothing to do with a grant of rights as of now - That is between the ACC, ESPN, Florida State

However, if the Big Ten deems that adding Florida state, and/or North Carolina/Virginia woukd increase there per team payout, then, yes, they could sweeten the pot by helping each school with a monetary payout

Nothing is off the table. I’m going simply on what I’ve heard from people who are in the know, much more so than you and myself.

As I said, if I’m wrong, I’ll happily be on here to eat crow in a minute. However, I highly doubt it based on the guys I get information from our extremely tuned in.

And it’s not just guys from FSU, good buddy of mine from Clemson to big-time booster and has been singing the same tune for a while now.

Those are two heavy hitter programs, who would instantly bring increase revenue to either conference. Neither is getting left out in the dust and left to die in a vine
No need to eat crow, this is just a back and forth debate. I’m completely 180 from where you are and someone will be right and someone will be wrong. It’s not a big deal which ever way it goes, it’s just conversation.

No need to eat crow, this is just a back and forth debate. I’m completely 180 from where you are and someone will be right and someone will be wrong. It’s not a big deal which ever way it goes, it’s just conversation.
I love talking college FB and realignment to me is fascinating
I think the other things nobody talks about is the expanded playoff

I think it waters down the current system, and devalues the regular season to a certain extent
But it does mean more college fb; and in the grand scheme of things, that's never a bad thing!

I love this back and forth with someone with a different perspective, so I apologize if my last message was a little snarky

I totally agree that FSU and Clemson would be revenue positive for either the B1G or SEC. I think their brands are even more valuable since both conferences now have a big new deal with the “game of the week” that they will want to fill with marquee names.

I.guess the question I haven’t seen answered is how those positives outweigh the risk to ESPN of FSU and Clemson getting out destabilizing the ACC and causing them to lose their best contract. ESPN had to overpay for the NBA and NFL. The ACC is their best underpay and they would want to bleed everything they can out if that deal until 2036.

The SEC can’t do anything without ESPN’s approval, and I don’t see them approving risking the ACC when the old and now new CEO of Disney Bob Iger just recently said that ESPN will be have to be more prudent with their rights deals going forward.

I love this back and forth with someone with a different perspective, so I apologize if my last message was a little snarky

I totally agree that FSU and Clemson would be revenue positive for either the B1G or SEC. I think their brands are even more valuable since both conferences now have a big new deal with the “game of the week” that they will want to fill with marquee names.

I.guess the question I haven’t seen answered is how those positives outweigh the risk to ESPN of FSU and Clemson getting out destabilizing the ACC and causing them to lose their best contract. ESPN had to overpay for the NBA and NFL. The ACC is their best underpay and they would want to bleed everything they can out if that deal until 2036.

The SEC can’t do anything without ESPN’s approval, and I don’t see them approving risking the ACC when the old and now new CEO of Disney Bob Iger just recently said that ESPN will be have to be more prudent with their rights deals going forward.
Not snarky at all, just some back and forth about the game we all love
GOR is a huge obstacle - ACC presidents signed it w/the guise being it would launch the ACC network, and really didn't have a choice due to ESPN calling the shots (which can be a good or bad thing, depending if you're on their side)

In retrospect, I guess i wished FSU would have gone to the SEC in 1992, but that story is long and I haven't had enough coffee yet to rehash lol

I do agree that ESPN is getting ACC on a discount, but they have them for a long time. The play will continue getting worse (it's already pretty bad), and w/the new SEC teams, I'd imagnie the ratings will continue to plumet

The middle of the road ACC teams hold a lot of the cards if succession is the ultimate path. Take a school like VT or Ville for example. VT is football crazed, Vill poured a lot of $ into football w/Papa Johns

Neither brand is wanting SEC to make 40-50 mil per year, as that's insurmontable after a certain period of time. That's why I'm hearing they're already talking about an escape plan for 8-10 teams

The fringe teams will also be interesting. Wake and BC are out. How about Pitt and Cuse? I'd think Cuse is out, Pitt possibly. GT and Duke would come along IMO

That leaves NCS, VT, Ville, Miami, w/possibly Pitt, GT and Duke as key players. State politics also will be interesting. Will VA allow UVA/VT to be split up? NC allowing UNC and Duke to split?

Ultimately money rules the day, so I don't think it'll be an issue. But a lot of balls up in the air right now

Article is paywall but posting for the comments in the tweets.

An excerpt from the article...wonder if that's something the ACC could do in the future that might help it. If the B12 or anyone else can demonstrate unbundling basketball is more profitable, it could help the ACC realize a little extra value.

From the article:

Yormark would need to get Fox to be an equal share partner in expansion. CBS Sports previously reported that the Big 12’s new rights contract includes an agreement with ESPN on a pro rata clause but that Fox has not committed to one. ESPN got 63 percent of the new TV deal with the Big 12, sources briefed on the agreement confirmed. Fox would have to sign off on the Big 12 adding Pac-12 schools as full-share members.

Yormark strongly believes basketball is undervalued in these TV rights talks. He has dropped hints about an interest in unbundling it from football and selling those rights separately when the Big 12 next hits the market in 2030-31. That’s one motivation behind the Big 12’s continued talks with hoops powerhouse Gonzaga.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
people need to stop, nothing wrong with that flag. For many southerners, it's a symbol of souther heritage and nothing more. If that flag offends, you got bigger issues than worrying about that cloth

that said, it shouldn't fly on state capital buildings because it's a battle flag although I understand the southern heritage to it. Some of you bigoted northerners may find it incredulous that many blacks in the south actually love and fly that flag or at least until they were shamed not to by vocal minority.
Heritage of what a failed government?

Reactions: bigmatt718
2 questions I have been asking for months and still no answers:

1: which of the buyers of college football games, i.e. conference contracts, needs more content? The B1G now has all the networks except ESPN/ABC and coverage from noon est to midnighnt pst. And there is still plenty of inventory for the Big Ten network.

2: Espn has air tight control of the SEC and ACC. The SEC needs no help and no more content for ESPN/ABC and the SEC network. Why would Espn damage one of its primary products to help a conference that does not need any help?

Let me know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT