ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling Previews No. 7 Iowa

Iowa has a relatively young team. I don't see them pulling his scholarship unless they thought they had a chance for a top 3 finish at NCAA (PSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma State). I don't think Iowa usually does this, but it depends on Lee. Is Pat Downey wrestling the Midlands? I don't think Lee is even with the team if he is registered for a tourney Saturday in Iowa.

Reactions: Andman1025
Bc He's one of only a few on earth who have beaten NS
So, you expect Tom Brands to waste all of the value a redshirt offers, to put a kid that hasn't seen live wrestling for 9 months, in a hostile environment, just because he beat Suriano in 2013? For a match that is probably leaning towards Iowa, anyway? That's an interesting concept.

Where do you see that I said I expected lee to wrestle? Reading comprehension before you run your mouth

How's this concept. Bet lee doesn't get teched lol
Really have to protect that RS, seasons almost over??

So, you expect Tom Brands to waste all of the value a redshirt offers, to put a kid that hasn't seen live wrestling for 9 months, in a hostile environment, just because he beat Suriano in 2013? For a match that is probably leaning towards Iowa, anyway? That's an interesting concept.
Lee dropping RS.Guess you value that RS more than Brands does

Your arrogant reply was that Brands wouldnt waste Lees RS. Another PA know it all.
My reply was that he shouldn't waste Lee's RS, at that point in the season, for a match that he was confident in winning.

Additionally, there are a lot of moving pieces to Brands/Lee making the decision to redshirt.

• Lee's health. At that point in the season, he hadn't wrestled a single live match, let alone a tournament, so he had no idea how his knee would hold up in a dual, let alone in a two or three day tournament. Now, he's wrestled nine matches in two tournaments.
  • Progression of his other wrestlers and how he feels about Iowa's chances at nationals.
  • Whether Downey is going to wrestle for them or not
  • What Lee and his family want to do
Pulling his shirt at that point in the season made ZERO sense. None, whether you think I'm a know-it-all or not, lots of other wrestling fans agree with me.

My reply was that he shouldn't waste Lee's RS, at that point in the season, for a match that he was confident in winning.

Additionally, there are a lot of moving pieces to Brands/Lee making the decision to redshirt.

• Lee's health. At that point in the season, he hadn't wrestled a single live match, let alone a tournament, so he had no idea how his knee would hold up in a dual, let alone in a two or three day tournament. Now, he's wrestled nine matches in two tournaments.
  • Progression of his other wrestlers and how he feels about Iowa's chances at nationals.
  • Whether Downey is going to wrestle for them or not
  • What Lee and his family want to do
Pulling his shirt at that point in the season made ZERO sense. None, whether you think I'm a know-it-all or not, lots of other wrestling fans agree with me.

Agreed. I don't get why you put SL in the lineup except:

1) You know he can't beat Daton fix and thus, its now or never for the kid (and I don't buy that logic coming from the kid or the coaches for a second).---1% PROBABILITY AT BEST

2) You really think a team trophy is the cards. Thats a tough sell.... PSU and tOSU will finish 1 and 2 this year. 3 is probably Okie STate (it looks like almost their whole lineup could AA this year) 4 is probably Michigan or ASU. Before anyone says "we just beat ASU at midlands" lets not forget the run JVB just had which got us 2nd. Do we really think he can wrestle back to third at NCAAs? (and props to that kid. Whether he AA's ever or not he'll always be a Rutgers great to me. I haven't seen that kind of mental toughness in our room since Perotti, no disrespect intended to anyone). ---10% PROBABILITY

3) The kid wants it no matter what-- I think SL wants to wrestle. Full disclosure, I met the kid a few times. Signed anything and everything put in front of him by everyone and did it with a smile. Did a lot of play wrestling with my nephew (who SWEARS that as a 7 year old he took down Spencer Lee and thus is destined for the Olympics. For what its worth, I think Spencer let him take him down. Spencer was 16. My nephew was 7). I am a fan of this kid and will probably look at him with a bias. I think he just wants it. His dad was a former Olympic judo coach and I don't think he is the type to interject into his son redshirting or not. I think he knows the best fathers/coaches be father first and outsource the coaching. This is my guess as to the logic. Spencer is f'ing bored. 59% PROBABILITY

4) Iowa wants to prove its not like the old days.... the negative recruiting around Iowa stems from the "they just produce robots" logic. Brands was probably PEEVED that Gavin Teasdale decommitted for PSU because GT just saw freshman having success early at PSU and figured he was destined for the bench as Iowa doesn't start freshman. The Brands can shed that lable and help revamp their image a bit by throwing SL out there as a true freshman. --30% PROBABILITY

Its probably some combination but those are my 2 cents. Thoughts?

Agreed. I don't get why you put SL in the lineup except:

1) You know he can't beat Daton fix and thus, its now or never for the kid (and I don't buy that logic coming from the kid or the coaches for a second).---1% PROBABILITY AT BEST

2) You really think a team trophy is the cards. Thats a tough sell.... PSU and tOSU will finish 1 and 2 this year. 3 is probably Okie STate (it looks like almost their whole lineup could AA this year) 4 is probably Michigan or ASU. Before anyone says "we just beat ASU at midlands" lets not forget the run JVB just had which got us 2nd. Do we really think he can wrestle back to third at NCAAs? (and props to that kid. Whether he AA's ever or not he'll always be a Rutgers great to me. I haven't seen that kind of mental toughness in our room since Perotti, no disrespect intended to anyone). ---10% PROBABILITY

3) The kid wants it no matter what-- I think SL wants to wrestle. Full disclosure, I met the kid a few times. Signed anything and everything put in front of him by everyone and did it with a smile. Did a lot of play wrestling with my nephew (who SWEARS that as a 7 year old he took down Spencer Lee and thus is destined for the Olympics. For what its worth, I think Spencer let him take him down. Spencer was 16. My nephew was 7). I am a fan of this kid and will probably look at him with a bias. I think he just wants it. His dad was a former Olympic judo coach and I don't think he is the type to interject into his son redshirting or not. I think he knows the best fathers/coaches be father first and outsource the coaching. This is my guess as to the logic. Spencer is f'ing bored. 59% PROBABILITY

4) Iowa wants to prove its not like the old days.... the negative recruiting around Iowa stems from the "they just produce robots" logic. Brands was probably PEEVED that Gavin Teasdale decommitted for PSU because GT just saw freshman having success early at PSU and figured he was destined for the bench as Iowa doesn't start freshman. The Brands can shed that lable and help revamp their image a bit by throwing SL out there as a true freshman. --30% PROBABILITY

Its probably some combination but those are my 2 cents. Thoughts?
My thoughts are yeah, you probably knocked it outta the park.

Regardless the list of reasons the point is that he's dropping his RS, which per pa was absurd. And "at that point of the season"-- it was three weeks ago

Regardless the list of reasons the point is that he's dropping his RS, which per pa was absurd. And "at that point of the season"-- it was three weeks ago
Who cares. Let’s stop bickering. It’s over. They did it and he’s wrestling so let’s jist sit back and enjoy it.

How many other coaches do you see dropping redshirts before the first match of the season versus how many drop them after mid-season tournaments? I guess they don't know what they're doing, either, right?

By the way, without Lee, 23-15.

Who cares what the score was or what other coaches would do. Got nothing to do with it. What if...
What other coaches would do has to do with conventional wisdom, which is what you seem to be lacking.

Two people on this board have listed a half dozen reasons that pulling the shirt before the RU dual didn't make sense, and you have yet to make an argument why it did. Please enlighten us. Maybe you'll revolutionize the way coaches think about redshirts.

Yea your 2 other screen names -talking abt YOUR know it all ass dont flip it to what a coach would do.
As for the enlightenment try upgrading your reading comp. My post was "wonder if Iowa sends out Lee". Not that they will or are or should. Get it now maybe. I know you PA folks are slow but try to keep up or keep out

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT