ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling vs. Iowa

Re: Seating tomorrow night?

HOPE the ticket office is ready for a huge walkup if it runs fast you will get more fans to your next match.

Wrestling is about walk ups in this state CHOP

Re: Seating tomorrow night?

Originally posted by coachkos:
HOPE the ticket office is ready for a huge walkup if it runs fast you will get more fans to your next match.

Wrestling is about walk ups in this state CHOP
So true. Most wrestling fans never even think about buying in advance. The fact more than 4,000 tix already have been sold is impressive.

Let's Wrestle!

As our football team puts a stinky exclamation point on a disappointing season, thoughts turn to wrestling. I can always count on our wrestlers to take some of the sting off a football loss. I've been looking forward to this one for a while and wish I could have made the long road trip. I don't think I've ever seen any Rutgers wrestling and look forward to seeing what you've got. Let's roll!

Re: Let's Wrestle!

Originally posted by HawkeyeFreak:
As our football team puts a stinky exclamation point on a disappointing season, thoughts turn to wrestling. I can always count on our wrestlers to take some of the sting off a football loss. I've been looking forward to this one for a while and wish I could have made the long road trip. I don't think I've ever seen any Rutgers wrestling and look forward to seeing what you've got. Let's roll!
I know we've been looking forward for this for quite some time, as well. It's an honor to be in the B1G, wrestling with the big boys. Makes for some exciting times for us Rutgers' fans.

Sorry about your bowl game, though. It's not often you see an Iowa football team pushed around like they were in the 1st half. They're a well coached squad. Hopefully they can make a game of it in the second half.

Best of luck to your boys tonight. Hopefully everyone wrestles hard and stays healthy.

Re: remember Wrestling on BTN Tonight at 8pm

Was gonna go, but I'll be at the RAC tomorrow night for bball so decided to stay in and watch the match tonight. For those who don't know, #23/24 RU is wrestling #1 Iowa. I don't think Iowa has a #1 wrestler on the team, but pretty sure all of them are ranked in the top 5, many in the top 2 or 3. Gonna be a seriously hard match for us.

Anyone (wngbarini, et al) know which of the RU wrestlers has a shot at a W?

It all depends on who Iowa sends out to wrestle, but all of our All-American hopefuls generally have a shot at winning.

Ashnault, Perrotti, Camp, Smith, etc all have a chance at winning. Like you said, though, they'll be wrestling Top 10 talent. The biggest ranking disparity would probably be Perrotti (top 10 fringe) wrestling Kelly (top 20 fringe), and possibly Camp if they don't wrestle Burak at 197. Ash is the only other guy to outrank his opponent (6 vs. 7 in an all-NJ matchup). Billy Smith's opponent is now probably going to be ranked the #1 guy in the country after beating #1 and #5 recently at MIdlands.

It should be interesting how all the guys do this season. Barring some injuries, they'll be ready when it comes time for conference and nationals tournaments.

Lots of info on this match on the Other Sports (Wrestling) board thread. Come visit and contribute to it throughout the match!

Perrotti will be favored in his match (#11 vs #23). Campolattano in his first match will be wrestling an unranked guy so no idea how that will go. Ashnault match should be a great one (#6 vs #7). Smith is probably our next best shot at a win (#11 vs #3). After that it's a bunch of long shots...There's Theo (#22 vs #8) and Delvecchio (#23 vs #6), Bakukas (#18 vs. #3), Mccabe (#29 vs #4). At 165 and 184 we've got unranked guys going up against top 10 guys so you can pencil those in as losses.

PhilaPhans and RU23,

Thanks for the skinny on the match and our guys. I'll make my way over to the wrestling board, but I know I got interested in wrestling because an occasional thread made its way onto the Football board so was happy to see one here. Followup question: Wasn't there a wrestler from another program who had some issue with the law, who is from Jersey and for whom there was talk about him possibly trying to come to RU? He was a Jersey guy, IIRC.

This post was edited on 1/2 7:41 PM by RutgersRaRa

Thanks for the head's up. I'm going to tune in - good luck.

That would be Camp @ 197. Andrew Campolattano was actually an RU football commit, I believe, before changing his mind and going to tOSU as a wrestler. Probably one of the best NJ wrestlers ever. Had some issues with the law (selling oxy to an undercover and some other personal issues). Good kid though and is making the most of his time at RU.

There's a good nj.com article about everything above that I linked (let the NJ.com bias go for a minute and give it a read).

Andrew Campolattano

Andrew Campolattano, wrestling for RU tonight at 197. 4x NJ state champ from Bound Brook. Committed to RU for football back in the class of 2011, decided he wanted to wrestle in college so he went Ohio St. for wrestling, was charged with drug trafficking while in Columbus, and ended up transferring home to RU. He had to sit out because of the transfer so tonight will be his first match in an RU singlet.

For those not familiar with collegiate wrestling, there's less than a .01% chance that we win tonight, but the future is bright at RU (most of the roster returns next year) and we're on the verge of competing for some great recruits, just like football.

B1G wrestling is the equivalent of going up against Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska every week. There's something like 11 B1G teams in the Top 25 (we'd be the 10th or 11th one). Absolutely disgusting talent in this conference. Last year we got our first All-American in the past decade or so, and this year there's a possibility to get maybe four or so guys up to that level (and the rest not too far behind, in comparison to previous years of Rutgers wrestling).

His first match is pretty exciting for the kid and the NJ people who know him. And it has to be exciting beyond belief for his parents. Very cool. Go Camp, and go RU!

Without looking it up and providing facts, I am pretty sure that the B1G's domination of college wrestling is the most pronounced domination by a conference in any college sport.

Originally posted by kjb32812:
Without looking it up and providing facts, I am pretty sure that the B1G's domination of college wrestling is the most pronounced domination by a conference in any college sport.
I think you're right about that. The SEC might dominate in track (at least Arkansas wins the title every year), but B1G wrestling is nuts.

Originally posted by RutgersRaRa:
I think you're right about that. The SEC might dominate in track (at least Arkansas wins the title every year), but B1G wrestling is nuts.
Hey RaRa.

B1G had 6/10 weight class NCAA Champions last year.

Re: Potential matchups v Iowa Wrestling

125 LBS: #4 Gilman v. McCabe

1st period, Gilman up 4-2 very early. Having his way with McCabe.

Hey RaRa.

Let's hope we can get a couple more this year. :-)

Re: Potential matchups v Iowa Wrestling

Interesting strategy for McCabe, he's going for shots (which, trust me, didn't always happen the past few years at RU).

The problem is that Gilman is just jumping around him and getting the two every time.

10-4 at the end of the first (all 2 pointers, no backpoints). I wonder if Gilman will get one of those 4 point techs that we talked about.

RaRa, we're going up against the best wrestling team in the history of collegiate wrestling. They're all really good. Haha.

What was Goodale thinking of sending this 125lb out there. He is so over matched.

Hey RaRa.

Let's hope we can get a couple more this year. :-)
Yeah. Unfortunately, Penn State may have difficulty getting one this year.

Nice little fight there by your 133

Brands should have bumped Gilman up to face off against Scotty D.

Only way to determine who has the superior lip fur.

BTW, you guys don't get to claim Ruth as a hometown boy either.

Just sayin'.

This post was edited on 1/2 8:20 PM by kjb32812

Ugh, that was disappointing. 10-3 victory over Laux. Chose to give up the escape with about 45 seconds left in order for another takedown, but Laux grabbed his legs a couple of times and DelVecchio could never get that last shot in.

Congrats to Scott though on winning the first B1G match in Rutgers history!

Bad coaching telling DelVecchio to let him up. We were up by 8 with riding time & could've rode him out to tie the match 4-4.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by RUHouston:
I have no idea what's going on but it sure is interesting!
Really game kid for you at 133. Very nice win. Dziewa is a good wrestler. A win here would be huge for you.

For the wrestling guys, Matt Brown just lost to Kokesh at Scuffle.

ADVERTISEMENT