ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling vs. Iowa

Re: remember Wrestling on BTN Tonight at 8pm

Originally posted by kjb32812:

Originally posted by Caliknight:

I don't know anything about wrestling, but Campolattano looks like the best wrestler we have seen today.
That's because he is on the offense. The wrestling room he competed in at OSU helped. Iron sharpens iron.

You have two 4x NJ state champs. You need those two to perform well and it will aid your recruiting IMO. I liked your coach during the interview.
Ashnault and Camp right? Both of them came out with wins today

Originally posted by Zak57:

What is the deal wiith non-Nike shoes on some of our guys? Doesn't that get some sort of fine or admonishment? I know not using the sponsored lax gear would do so when it happened.
We may not be sponsored for every sport with Nike.

This post was edited on 1/2 9:51 PM by Zak57
We are. See their singlets (is that what they are called?). Nike has a blanket agreement with the school. I noticed this with the field hockey team too.

I don't know anything about wrestling, but Campolattano looks like the best wrestler we have seen today.
But I believe he's wrestling against Iowa's second stringer and so I don't think it's apples to apples. Ashnault looked by far like our best today, especially given who he went up against.

That's because he is on the offense. The wrestling room he competed in at OSU helped. Iron sharpens iron.

You have two 4x NJ state champs. You need those two to perform well and it will aid your recruiting IMO. I liked your coach during the interview.
Where does NJ rank in nationally in terms of high school wrestling?

I'm starting to agree with KJB, that the Iowa are real chippy.
They take late shots to the head, push guys into stantions, and the one Iowa guy who held our wrestlers head down for a while after the end of the match. Some bushleague stuff for sure.
Overall, it's a good learning experience and measuring stick.

This post was edited on 1/2 9:56 PM by SAE96

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
I swear I must be hearing things.

Commentator #1: "Hey, this is a great match we have going here."
Commentator #2: "No shit!"
Ha ha! Thanks for confirming what I thought I heard.

NJ is easily a Top 10 State when it comes to High School Wrestling

Where does NJ rank in nationally in terms of high school wrestling?

Originally posted by KevH:

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
I swear I must be hearing things.

Commentator #1: "Hey, this is a great match we have going here."
Commentator #2: "No shit!"
Ha ha! Thanks for confirming what I thought I heard.
He's said that a few times. The Iowa board was talking about it, too.

Cali, Jersey is top 3. IMO in the country, pA and OH being the other two. Probably the most depth in PA. IL is very good too. As is MN.

Good to see coach Flood supporting the other sports programs

How is Rutgers viewed by the best wrestlers in NJ? Are we routinely getting the best?

SAE, some of that stuff (pushing, etc.) is pretty normal. Holding another guy's head down after the match is not.

Cali, T10. B1G states OK and CA.

This post was edited on 1/2 10:01 PM by kjb32812

Routinely? No, but we get some. Now that is the sport above all others where we would compete for national titles if we kept a lot of the top guys in state.

I wouldn't put him as the best wrestler today. He looked way out of shape. Top two in potential on this team? Absolutely.

Just needs to get back into it.

Originally posted by MikeR0102:
Good to see coach Flood supporting the other sports programs
One thing I love about Coach Flood is he is a real Rutgers guy, and by that I mean he wants all programs to do well and does what he can to help. Can't say the same for prior regimes.

Originally posted by jeff86:
Routinely? No, but we get some. Now that is the sport above all others where we would compete for national titles if we kept a lot of the top guys in state.
Yep. You also could pull kids from PA and they produce 25% of NCAA wrestling qualifiers.

Nice match. The Perrotti upset kind of took the wind out of the sails but you wrestled well. Looking forward to RU vs. PSU in a few weeks.

kjb thanks for the help commentating tonight. Helped me follow a lot better.

Not into wrestling but my sets was on BTN so I'm seeing the match. It seems like these guys are constantly going out of bounds, requiring a restart. Wouldn't it be better if these guys wrestled in a cage like MMC, so the action could flow?

Agree kjb, although tough to break into PA with. PSU there. UPenn used to be top 25 too. Whenever I look at Intermat's top 50 high school teams, there are usually ten PA teams or so, which is amazing. Usually 5 or so NJ and OH teams.

7 from PA, 7 from NJ and 6 from. OH:

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/rankings/hs/Team

Solid showing and great job by the fans. Todd Frazier, Frankie Edgar, Kyle Flood, Pat Kivlehan, Kevin Malast and Brian Leonard were all in attendance. Awesome stuff.

sure zak, appreciate you guys having me. wrestling is a great sport (and I'm a former hooper) and I think RU could really be a player.

valka, that's part of the sport. mma is completely different (although I am looking forward to seeing great psu/big wrestlers move on to mma when they aren't going to be olympic competitors).

jeff, wrestling is an interesting sport because it is not big revenue. there are only so many scholarships and the reality is that you are across from the greatest state for HS wrestling and also in the T10 in your own right. IMO, you can compete with PSU over time in recruiting but can start by keeping your own kids at home and stealing some from Edinboro, Lock Haven and PITT.

Wrestling is a great sport, wrestled in high school, I think Jersey's pretty close to PA though kjb! Usually at least 2 wrestlers from. NJ who win national titles every year.

Originally posted by jeff86:
Wrestling is a great sport, wrestled in high school, I think Jersey's pretty close to PA though kjb! Usually at least 2 wrestlers from. NJ who win national titles every year.
8th for producing college wrestling talent. ironically, same as football.

I think RU could be a major player in wrestling if they kept their HS talent, no doubt.

used to be 177 - 191 - unlimited. college wrestling rules change very slowly. bumping up the weights a little is probably in order. even better would be to add a weight class but that will likely never happen. more weight classes means more roster spots and more money and most schools have enough trouble filling 10 weight classes.

Grades (after typing it and reading it over it may seem a bit harsh, but believe me, I was INCREDIBLY proud of how they fought all night):

125: Sean McCabe: C-. Hey, if you're going to get destroyed, at least keep it to four points. Good job doing that.
133: Scott DelVecchio: B. Look, he didn't wrestle Clark, but that's not his fault. What was disappointing was not being able to get that last shot in.
141: Anthony Ashnault: A-. Dziewa never really shot, but Ash slipped up and should have been caught. What Dziewa did in that match is what I would get frustrated from watching a guy like Mason. Otherwise, what can I say that hasn't been said yet? Ash is really, really good. Never out of a match until it's over.
149: Ken Theobold: C. He just didn't look good tonight.
157: Anthony Perrotti: B-. Nobody will agree with me here, but he had a chance to win that match down late and he took it. The score could have easily been closer if he takes a different approach after going down. Either way, it's a loss to a guy he probably could have beat.
165: Nick Gravina: C+. Just don't know what to think of this kid. He did get a takedown. He's young. I just don't know what to make of him.
174: Phil Bakuckas: B. Lost, but showed he could really stay with the guy.
184: Hayden Hrymack: D. Opponent almost defensive pinned himself, but came back to win. Hrymack needs to find a way to make his size an advantage instead of a disadvantage.
197: Andrew Campolattano: B-. Showed some promise and showed just how rusty he is. Escaped having to wrestle against Burak.
285: Billy Smith: C+. Can't really fault the guy on anything. Telford is just really, really good, and fills out 285 to a T.

I'd give Perrotti a C & Smith a D- or F. Perrotti did not have a chance to win late & should not have gone for the reversal so much in the 3rd when he was down 3. Get the escape & a TD. He & some others need to get much better on their feet in the 1st period; more aggression & shots. Smith did nothing. No shots. Barely tried to stand up.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

This post was edited on 1/2 11:03 PM by Leonard23

I,m enjoying the posts in this thread, very good read, so I went over to the wrestling board
and got depressed. It's how this board get's after a loss (but not as bad). It was bad coaching,
it's titile IX fault. it's the women sports fault.

Originally posted by NickKnight 1:

I,m enjoying the posts in this thread, very good read, so I went over to the wrestling board
and got depressed. It's how this board get's after a loss (but not as bad). It was bad coaching,
it's titile IX fault. it's the women sports fault.
How can anyone seriously blame a loss on Title IX?? All schools have to deal with Title IX. Iowa has to deal with Title IX.

Place was packed. A long way to go, but was definitely something to build on. It's very early. Let's judge them in February and March.

Nobody is blaming the loss on Title IX. I'm pretty sure NickKnight is drunk because I have no idea what's he's talking about.

Congrats on a packed house...great for our sport. New Jersey is a high school hot bed with a lot of fans. With Rutgers in the B1G, I think many of these top kids in the NY, NJ, and PA area will give Rutgers a second look. Good match tonight, relatively speaking. You all have a stud in Ashnault and I think he has a decent chance to AA in a tough weight. Once Camp gets his tank, he will give guys some trouble and your HWY shows promise too. Good luck the rest of the way.

Very happy over all. Crowd was awesome. Only thing i will say is. Am i crazy but i would bet we didnt have a total of 3 min ridding time the whole match. That will kill us down the road and it was Iowa but we need to build some time on top. Great night

I just got back from the match and it was a great atmosphere. First of all thanks to larry G here for the great seats and WNGarabini and Dave Bugen for access to the Skull Session, it was a lot of fun ! And great meeting you guys !

1. Our 125 pounder was just simply overmatched against his highly ranked opponent, Gilman.

2. Delvechhio looked very good, but he was wrestling Iowa's 2nd team guy at this weight, but still Delvecchio did what he needed to do.

3. Ash's match. There appeared to be animosity between the Ash and Dziewa (ranked about same as Ash) all night. They were slapping each others heads very hard, almost punches, and Ash looked very confident . Beating a guy like this should help Ash's confidence quite a bit more.

4. Coach G in his presser was a bit disappointed Theobold got man handled like he did. He opponent is Tough ! and good.

5. Perrotti- bad loss. Coach G said in his presser that Perrotti was warned not lose focus between over the holidays like he appeared to last season, and Coach G said it appeared it happened again. He hinted Perrotti needed to lose weight and wasn't in top shape for this match. He sounded Very Disappointed in Perrotti.

6. next 3 weight classes, Gravina, Backackus, Hyrmack (sp) our guys simply out classed.

7. Camps match- Camp wrestled their 2nd teamer, Their first teamer, highly ranked Borak, is either being red shirted or maybe being held out til they decide on this issue. I doubt Camp beats Borak at this point in Camp's return. Coach G said tonight was the first time in 2 years Camp has even made this weight (197) and of course he hasn't had a real competitve match in all that time. Camp looked like he was tentative at times, but always in control. He got gassed a bit too. Actually in almost every match Iowa looked in better shap to my novice eye. Of course, Iowa has wrestled a much tougher schedule up to this point compared to Ru.

8. Heavy- Iowa's Bobby Telford is the best in the country and it showed. It looked like Andre the Giant v an average Joe. Coach G said he had hopped Smith would have taken shots at Telfords legs, but it never happened. I think Smithh still has a shot at 7/8 at the NCAA's but he's no match for a very imposing, Telford.

9. Great crowd, Coach Flood sat nearby, we saw Todd Frazier , Brian Leonard, Kevin Malast and others sitting match side.

This post was edited on 1/3 12:54 AM by Abro1975

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT