ADVERTISEMENT

Sammy Alvarez

Sammy does not have another year left unless he somehow qualifies for a medical for the 2022 season(his last competition was 12/29). He competed in 2020 as a frosh, 2021 as a soph(covid year) 2022 as a soph, 2023 as a junior and 2024 as a senior. So unless he gets a medical his career is over.
You are incorrect. Sammy was granted a medical hardship year during his time at Rutgers the public is not aware of. As a result of that he has one final year of eligibility left to use which if he were to graduate this semester would have to be used as a graduate student.

It is not public knowledge regarding that year he was given back at Rutgers. I could see why you say that.

You are incorrect. Sammy was granted a medical hardship year during his time at Rutgers the public is not aware of. As a result of that he has one final year of eligibility left to use which if he were to graduate this semester would have to be used as a graduate student.

It is not public knowledge regarding that year he was given back at Rutgers. I could see why you saw that.
Well that is why I said, "unless he is granted a medical" his career is over. Be interesting to see if he takes it .

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Well that is why I said, "unless he is granted a medical" his career is over. Be interesting to see if he takes it .
My guess is he takes it and puts all his chips on the table and puts it all together at 24/25 years old and steps on the podium in March.
He clearly has matured and hashed out his off the mat issues at okie state. He’s not a draw I would want for my wrestler as a coach at the national tournament.

The question lies. Where does he wrestle ?

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
My guess is he takes it and puts all his chips on the table and puts it all together at 24/25 years old and steps on the podium in March.
He clearly has matured and hashed out his off the mat issues at okie state. He’s not a draw I would want for my wrestler as a coach at the national tournament.

The question lies. Where does he wrestle ?
Rider

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
He is done ..it was his job to hold at Okie state and he lost it to a freshman ...enough said

Alvarez seems to be a shell of himself. I wonder if he would even explore a final year. Might be time to just move on

Alvarez seems to be a shell of himself. I wonder if he would even explore a final year. Might be time to just move on
Hmm his best year was his freshman year(won scuffle/went OT wit RBY). After that, he’s been around a 15-25th rank type of wrestler so I don’t think calling him a shell of himself is fair… he did beat a couple ranked guys this year just stinks ,for him,1 his teammate is slightly better… he’s still a really good scrambler…. If he’s dead set on making a spot at okie state he technically could take over 133 after Fix is gone…lol..

I think over the last 5 years Alvarez has enjoyed college life more than college wrestling and it caught up to him. He’s always going to be talented but the energy, drive, and other intangibles haven’t been there in a long time.

I think over the last 5 years Alvarez has enjoyed college life more than college wrestling and it caught up to him. He’s always going to be talented but the energy, drive, and other intangibles haven’t been there in a long time.
I think over the last 5 years the guy is something like 70 and 20 and his statistics are extremely above average.

Hmm his best year was his freshman year(won scuffle/went OT wit RBY). After that, he’s been around a 15-25th rank type of wrestler so I don’t think calling him a shell of himself is fair… he did beat a couple ranked guys this year just stinks ,for him,1 his teammate is slightly better… he’s still a really good scrambler…. If he’s dead set on making a spot at okie state he technically could take over 133 after Fix is gone…lol..
Fix will still be there for three more years at the rate he's going.
I think over the last 5 years the guy is something like 70 and 20 and his statistics are extremely above average.
70 and 20 is not the same wrestler who nearly took out RBY imo.

There’s no world where Sammy Alvarez has wrestled 90 career matches in 5 years. He’s wrestled closer to 60 or 70 in a 5 year career, which for a guy who was projected as an opening night starter 5 straight years, kind of proves my point about the lack of drive.

as per Wrestlestat he has a career record 56 - 18 (74 in total) thus far and 36 (49%) of those matches came in his first year. Since his freshman year he's averaged only 10 matches per year

Last edited:
I'm going to guess a single leg attempt would be recommended?
if i remember, Robles one leg could bend in funky positions.
I was kind of new to wrestling at the time, but he seemed so much stronger than other guys at his weight when they tied up.

The he could win 133, similar to the wrestler (I forget his name) that won a NCAA Championship.
I always wondered how i nthe heck anyone could take him down.
The harder part would be turns and keeping him down. You’re basically going upper body with a guy who otherwise would be 3+ weight classes higher with the weight of another leg. Turks, a lot of cradles, etc aren’t possible so in certain ways and perspectives, mat wrestling, at least the defensive aspect, with one leg can be somewhat of an advantage.

The harder part would be turns and keeping him down. You’re basically going upper body with a guy who otherwise would be 3+ weight classes higher with the weight of another leg. Turks, a lot of cradles, etc aren’t possible so in certain ways and perspectives, mat wrestling, at least the defensive aspect, with one leg can be somewhat of an advantage.
AGreed, with all that is is IMPRESSIVE what RObles was able to do. Isn't he an announcer during the ncaa's or he se to be

if i remember, Robles one leg could bend in funky positions.
I was kind of new to wrestling at the time, but he seemed so much stronger than other guys at his weight when they tied up.
@SCNJ alluded to this. Figure an adult leg for a 150 lb buman being is around 25 lbs. At the 125lb weight class, Robles was pretty much a 149 lb wrestler. Imagine national champ Ashnault going against Dean Petersen....well, minus a leg.

@SCNJ alluded to this. Figure an adult leg for a 150 lb buman being is around 25 lbs. At the 125lb weight class, Robles was pretty much a 149 lb wrestler. Imagine national champ Ashnault going against Dean Petersen....well, minus a leg.
Johnny could've beat him.

giphy.gif

Jordan Williams is listed in the Big 12 Tournament pre-seeds

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT