ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano and Howard coach words at end of game

Asking a computer what its' thoughts are on a football game? What the hell is society coming to???
It is supposedly built to take normal human language and process it. That's why I use what seems like a normal conversational tone. It is also why people are making money with AI-built hot-chick "influencers" who some think are human.

Agree with the society comment. Can Blade Runner world be that far away?

Also.. you cannot trust responses to be factual.. or not tinted by some political leaning in the programming.. the information in the model. It will end up being like news channels today.. you tune to what news your politics tells you is correct.. and you will pick an AI that does the same. The age of trusting "facts" and "history" is over.

Last edited:
The point is that Howard called timeouts to keep the game going.. and that was after a sideline penalty for trying to take out our star player who was running all over them.. and their TD scorer mocking us with teh CHOP.

But instead of trying to score by throwing with time running out in teh game to keep time on the clock.. we did consecutive runs.. with backups.

If Howard doesn't take those timeouts in a futile effort to get the ball back.. game is already over and none of that happens.

There is something to be said about being the bigger person and taking the high road.

Howard taking TOs shouldn't really matter as to how we conduct ourselves.

Only would be a problem if we were had been taking the timeouts late trying to score. When Howard took the timeouts, it changes everything.
Why does it change anything ? Be better than that. Ali was getting hammered by Holmes but still feebly tried to fight back. Holmes stopped pummeling him and looked to the ref to stop the fight. Game was long over, Howard taking TOs is no excuse to keep punching, so to speak.

But more than that, I think covering the spread with a totally unnecessary TD is suspicious. One might say "but it was a vanilla handoff and less likely to result in a TD than a trick play".... executing the play meant possibly scoring. if they didn't hope to score they would have used the victory formation and kneel-down.

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
Yeah, all nonsense. If every coach was so virtuous, we wouldn't see all these 60-80 point games which are so common at this time of year.

It's a non-story...
It's not like Rutgers threw the ball. They just handed off to their third (or fourth) string rb, who made some impressive runs, with plenty of missed tackles. I'm glad he got a chance to show RU fans that there is in fact a deep rb room in Piscataway.

Idk, isn’t there value for point differentials and perceptions for the end of the season rankings?

Howard called 3 timeouts in the final 40 seconds and went for it on 4th down. They want to play football? That’s fine. Also, it was a handoff to our 5th string running back from the 11 yard line

Reactions: Wagram97 and JRZEER
Idk, isn’t there value for point differentials and perceptions for the end of the season rankings?

Not against the Howard's of thr world.
We win by 30 or 50, it's the same.

As long as it's not a 10pt win.

I don't have a problem with the last TD. It was a running play , not a passing play and scored by a true freshman getting some reps. And Ajani needs to run some actual plays , not just take a knee. No one should question Schiano's class and decency. His advising GW that AK won the starting QB job on the last day a player could place his name in the portal was a total class act that few head coaches at the Power 4 level would have done.
This.
If it was Kyle running the last play in for a TD I might have an issue with it. A true Frosh running the ball in his first game ..no problem.

Last edited:
...when the opponent is calling timeouts on their own end of the field with under a minute to play when they're down by 31 it changes the dynamics. Unless it's a 'Rudy'-type situation when you're trying to get certain players on the field or you're close to scoring, I think you let the clock move.

Joe P.
Rudy was offsides.

• Haha
Reactions: JRZEER
This.
If was Kyle running the last play in for a TD I might have an issue with it. A true Frosh running the ball in his first game ..no problem.
BTW I have searched for a couple depth charts.. I see Gabe Winowich listed as 4th RB.. not Raymond. That is probably wrong because I saw mention of Raymond on the boards in preseason. In any case.. he is not even our 3rd string RB... c'mon.. people gotta stop this running it up nonsense.

Reactions: Kbee3
Spreads change all week, as I documented in my thread on that, plus I don't think Schiano or most coaches ever consider the line (as they shouldn't), so that shouldn't be a factor in us running plays at the end, IMO. Clearly, they could've run the clock out, but didn't, using their TOs, so Greg decided to get in a few more reps for his subs, which is fine in that situation.
This.
I had 38.5 point spread on RU and lost.

Reactions: JRZEER
Reactions: RU#1fan
We noticed this in our house, too. 9 times out of 10, I'm the guy saying, "just take a knee; there's no reason to embarrass anyone." But this situation was different because Howard's moron coach took time outs to try and get the ball back with a minute to go in the game. Once he did that, then I didn't have any problem with Schiano getting his freshman his first TD.
IMO if an opponents coach wants to call TO’s in garbage time and keep playing, as a coach you let your kids keep playing. He shoukd only be upset with himself.

Could not find video or audio of Larry Scott's press conference, but from several sources, this is what he said. To me, it's a big nothing burger. As others have pointed out, one could question why Howard took two time outs in the last 90 seconds of the game.

“The frustration obviously mounted,” Scott said. “I think things can be done a little bit better. He may have had his feelings about it and I had mine. I think we’re two competitive people. In that situation, I would have chose to handle it a little bit differently.”

“I can’t speak for him. I have a lot of respect for Coach Schiano, what he’s done and what he’s been able to do but we’re both competitors and in that situation, a little bit of frustration came out because I thought it could have been handled differently.”

The link is from Jerry Carino's article on whether RU ran up the score, as many believe, including quotes from the Howard coach who says as much, with Schiano disagreeing, of course. For me, the fact that Howard used its TO's on that last possession with under a minute left is more important, since they could've easily run out the clock and their using the TO's implied that the game wasn't over, so RU running two running plays with its subs, who wanted reps, wasn't a case of running up the score.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2024/08/rutgers-howard-bad-beat-season-opener
And went for it on 4th down. We took over on downs with 10 yards to go. I was surprised we didn't take a knee but maybe we would have done that on the other end of the field.

There is something to be said about being the bigger person and taking the high road.

Howard taking TOs shouldn't really matter as to how we conduct ourselves.
The line started at 35.5 points, then 36.5, then 38.5. Why was Howard calling time outs. It was ridiculous. We did nothing wrong, nothing.

the bottom line is that we were just getting reps in for young kids. If we are using this game as one of Raymond's 4 he can use this year- you waste a couple of reps on kneeling.
It was a run up the middle where their entire D knew it was a run up the middle. 2nd/3rd string playing.

BTW- that said- Howard does seem to have a pretty good team.

the bottom line is that we were just getting reps in for young kids. If we are using this game as one of Raymond's 4 he can use this year- you waste a couple of reps on kneeling.
It was a run up the middle where their entire D knew it was a run up the middle. 2nd/3rd string playing.

If that's the case, then you believe us running the ball had nothing to do with Howard calling time outs?
Interesting.

Would this extend to other game?
Do you expect HC Schiano to not take knees in other games we are leading by multiple scores?

Can't wait for Dylan Grant to race down the court and take a 3 at the buzzer of a 20pt blowout.

Just playing until the end of the game.
I'm sure HC Pike won't have any negative feedback for him if he did that.

Red Wine Ugh GIF by Married At First Sight

If that's the case, then you believe us running the ball had nothing to do with Howard calling time outs?
Interesting.

Would this extend to other game?
Do you expect HC Schiano to not take knees in other games we are leading by multiple scores?
Games like this Howard game is a paid practice. That is something completely different then the other games.

Being on both sides of this, when Penn State did it to us it was a pass play at the end. Who throws a pass to run out the clock. And Paterno was not so gracious to Graber when Graber brought it up. Against Howard, it was a simple hand off to run out the clock, after Howard had called time outs to keep playing.

Being on both sides of this, when Penn State did it to us it was a pass play at the end. Who throws a pass to run out the clock. And Paterno was not so gracious to Graber when Graber brought it up. Against Howard, it was a simple hand off to run out the clock, after Howard had called time outs to keep playing.

I mean, who runs the ball to run out the clock with 15 seconds left?
If we are beating VT by 21 are we calling plays to run out the clock or taking 3 knees?

Reactions: Shelby65
I mean, who runs the ball to run out the clock with 15 seconds left?
If we are beating VT by 21 are we calling plays to run out the clock or taking 3 knees?
It looked like they wanted to reward the freshman RB who worked really hard in the off season. He was so happy. There won't be many games when they can do that. Had Howard not called the time outs the game would have just ended. The time outs were strange.
If it was VT yes you absolutely take a knee three times.

A couple of carries is hardly valuable game reps that will benefit him in the future. Coach just wanted to let the kid get into the game.

Interesting facts:

2023 Wagner: Up 45-3 and HC Schiano calls running plays up until the end and Aaron Young scored a TD with 15 seconds left.

2022 Wagner: Up 66-7 and Rutgers gets the ball with 1:51 left in the game. HC Schiano takes 3 knees to run out the clock.

So basically no real help in figuring out what really happened and why?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Worm
If Howard coach is upset he has no one to blame but himself. This is not hard to see. Don’t call TO and don’t go for it on 4th down on your own side of the field. Once that happens all bets are off to what the other team does. You extended the game, deal with the results

Reactions: noble106
If Howard coach is upset he has no one to blame but himself. This is not hard to see. Don’t call TO and don’t go for it on 4th down on your own side of the field. Once that happens all bets are off to what the other team does. You extended the game, deal with the results
just because one team tries to make a few more plays to end the lopsided game on a positive note and fails, it's not logical for the other team up by 38 to try to score again in the last seconds.

one should have nothing to do with the other.

just because one team tries to make a few more plays to end the lopsided game on a positive note and fails, it's not logical for the other team up by 38 to try to score again in the last seconds.

one should have nothing to do with the other.
Who cares? This is big boy football. Go watch the special Olympics if you want to feel good about everyone’s feelings

Reactions: noble106
Who cares? This is big boy football. Go watch the special Olympics if you want to feel good about everyone’s feelings
I’m not losing sleep over it, but sportsmanship matters. Howard could have tried 4 Hail Marys and it still doesn’t justify trying to score again in the last few seconds.

I actually like the fact that the narrative is that Rutgers ran up the score. That’s refreshing, considering that the narrative has been that we were the team that used to be on the other end of the blowouts

Reactions: Knight Shift
I have no problem with running plays. It’s not like we were throwing it in the end zone. Third string freshman running back. Who knew he stomp down the field.

Reactions: Kbee3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT