ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano and Howard coach words at end of game

In a word soft. You do not run up the score by running up the middle with a freshman backup period. If Howard's HC wants to get mad at someone look at your defense. They should have made the tackle short of the goal line. Last but not least hey jerk you got your game check, man up.

I suppose Howard could say no next time and not walk away with $400k+ which probably took care of a good chunk of this year's expenditures.

Some of the things Schiano does can be cringe worthy, but I have no problem with what happened this time. As they say, you reap what you sow. The Howard coach was wrong to call the time outs with no chance to win the game.

Reactions: noble106
I’m not losing sleep over it, but sportsmanship matters. Howard could have tried 4 Hail Marys and it still doesn’t justify trying to score again in the last few seconds.

lol sportsmanship does in fact not matter if the other team isn't going to follow it. They wanted to waste Greg's time, it's only fair he gives his players more reps to play in. Howard was the one who gave the signal they were willing to play to the end anyway.

Don't look at it like we're being egotistical and just want to crush Howard's spirit. I don't think that's what Greg was trying.

Ultimately, Howard was trying to run up the score on Rutgers after we put our second and third string players in to take advantage of us while our guards were down. If they don't care that they're wasting time when the games already over at 34-7, then it's only fair for us that we give our non-starters practice plays and let them score. Howard was absolutely asking for it.

lol sportsmanship does in fact not matter if the other team isn't going to follow it. They wanted to waste Greg's time, it's only fair he gives his players more reps to play in. Howard was the one who gave the signal they were willing to play to the end anyway.

Don't look at it like we're being egotistical and just want to crush Howard's spirit. I don't think that's what Greg was trying.

Ultimately, Howard was trying to run up the score on Rutgers after we put our second and third string players in to take advantage of us while our guards were down. If they don't care that they're wasting time when the games already over at 34-7, then it's only fair for us that we give our non-starters practice plays and let them score. Howard was absolutely asking for it.

Sportsmanship actually matters more precisely when the other team isn't following it.
Lead by example.

OSU, Michigan and the big boys run up scores because style points matter for polls, top recruiting classes, contending for national championships, etc. That’s not the lane we’re in, so running up scores isn’t important for us. The scenario (handoff, backups) is fine. The only thing somewhat odorous was the covering the spread. Schiano knows the line…victory formation was most appropriate there.

This is ridiculous. You think Greg Schiano of all people was thinking about the spread? How would he have known Howard would take those 2 time outs. To be clear, Howard had the power to end the game with a cover if they wanted to.

Also - they are calling RU a dark horse nationally. Greg doesn’t pay attention to this stuff, but theoretically bigger MOVs might sway Top 25 voters which is important for national perception (but again. Greg goes out of his way not to focus on this stuff either).
I don’t think ‘more reps’ matters in this case from a development viewpoint as much as it’s about giving kids additional playing opportunities, similar to end-of-the-bench subs in a basketball blowout.

In general I have no problem with running up the score if it’s with backups as above, but I think it’s the point spread issue that’s somewhat shady. If RU already covered the spread before the late score then I would have absolutely no issue with it.

Yes - it’s exactly about your first paragraph. Howard decided to extend the game. Greg was annoyed to have to send his offense back out to go through motions so he said to himself - you know what? Who knows how many live opportunities we’ll get for our 3rd and 4th stringers or our back up QB. May as well do a couple hand offs instead of taking a knee. If we don’t get into the end zone rushing from the end zone with 7 seconds to go, nobody is talking about this - and again - Greg has little control over Raymond breaking all those tackles to cross the plain.

And finally - you mentioned sportsmanship but say this decision would be fine if not for the spread. What does the betting line have to do with sportsmanship? Doesn’t make any sense.

Reactions: newell138
This is ridiculous. You think Greg Schiano of all people was thinking about the spread? How would he have known Howard would take those 2 time outs. To be clear, Howard had the power to end the game with a cover if they wanted to.

Also - they are calling RU a dark horse nationally. Greg doesn’t pay attention to this stuff, but theoretically bigger MOVs might sway Top 25 voters which is important for national perception (but again. Greg goes out of his way not to focus on this stuff either).

Yes - it’s exactly about your first paragraph. Howard decided to extend the game. Greg was annoyed to have to send his offense back out to go through motions so he said to himself - you know what? Who knows how many live opportunities we’ll get for our 3rd and 4th stringers or our back up QB. May as well do a couple hand offs instead of taking a knee. If we don’t get into the end zone rushing from the end zone with 7 seconds to go, nobody is talking about this - and again - Greg has little control over Raymond breaking all those tackles to cross the plain.

And finally - you mentioned sportsmanship but say this decision would be fine if not for the spread. What does the betting line have to do with sportsmanship? Doesn’t make any sense.
Two different angles.

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
Huh? Either you think it’s poor sportsmanship or you don’t. You said you’d agree with the decision if not for the spread which should have nothing to do with sportsmanship.

Ya.
You can't combine "Schiano was annoyed about Howard calling timeouts" and "Schiano was worried about the spread".

If Schiano was worried about the spread, then he's calling plays regardless of the Howard TOs.

I highly doubt Schiano saw the timeouts and said "Oh ya! I promised all these guys we would cover the spread. I was going to let them all down but now I can keep calling plays!"
Doesn't make sense.

What made me P.O'd is MSN saw fit to make the Scott-Schiano conversation a big deal headline when it was a nothing burger and they failed to mention how Howard extended the game with timeouts.

Reactions: Wagram97
What made me P.O'd is MSN saw fit to make the Scott-Schiano conversation a big deal headline when it was a nothing burger and they failed to mention how Howard extended the game with timeouts.
If you expect the MSN to provide context, you will surely be disappointed in their coverage during the upcoming election season….

Ya.
You can't combine "Schiano was annoyed about Howard calling timeouts" and "Schiano was worried about the spread".

If Schiano was worried about the spread, then he's calling plays regardless of the Howard TOs.

I highly doubt Schiano saw the timeouts and said "Oh ya! I promised all these guys we would cover the spread. I was going to let them all down but now I can keep calling plays!"
Doesn't make sense.
I didn’t say anything about Schiano being annoyed that Howard’s TOs. Not a thing.

I hope he didn’t feel the need for petty tit for tat stuff against a lower echelon program.

Reactions: NickRU714
I didn’t say anything about Schiano being annoyed that Howard’s TOs. Not a thing.

I hope he didn’t feel the need for petty tit for tat stuff against a lower echelon program.

I’m sure he was “annoyed” in the same way the winning coach in a lopsided BB game would be annoyed about a team committing fouls to stop the clock when trailing by 12+ in the final 25 seconds.

But it’s really besides the point. This spread talk is nonsense, Shelby. As far back as I can recall, I’m not sure Greg has ever asked his back up QB to take a knee. For instance play call was perfectly consistent with his play calling in the last TD drive of the Wagner game on 1st and goal with 42 seconds to go we ran. Then on 2nd and goal from the 3 with 13 seconds to go we ran again and punched in another TD. How exactly is that different? We could’ve taken a knee there too - no? I believe that qualifies for checkmate on this discussion unless your trying to suggest that Greg should have acted differently from how he normally would BECAUSE of the spread (which would be even more ridiculous).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT